[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>>they said install linux >>it'd be better than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: 1439474916251.jpg (256 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1439474916251.jpg
256 KB, 1920x1200
>>they said install linux
>>it'd be better than windblows they said

Alright /g/ents I went with it and I installed Arch because why not. I have used linux in the past and I liked it because it worked well on my thinkpad x220, which I have retired now even though its an i7, I got it in 2012 and it was time for an upgrade. Now i have a razer blade 14 (2015).

inb4:
>> he fell for the gaymen meme....
No, I need it for cuda and machine learning because I do research at my school.

Things that annoy me and dont work on Linux:
1. Dolby Audio (right now music sounds like ass on linux)
2. Touchpad features (no pinch, go back, acceleration)
3. sleep mode (put it to sleep once and it never wakes up kek)
4. hidpi screen (all apps other looks like shit except for browser, terminal, word...)
5. netflix lags like a bitch playing video
6. there are many other things I am forgetting....
>>
>>52502052
>Arch

Literally 90% of the people complaining about Linux installed Arch and didn't like it. Stop that. It is a shitty distro.
>>
>Install a barebones distro like Arch that requires manually configuring every aspect of the machine
>Get mad when you have to manually configure every aspect of the machine

If you want Linux that works out of the box get Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Fedora, etc.
>>
fell for the memester
>>
>>52502052
Install Gentoo
>>
>>52502091
I installed Ubuntu first, it was even worst on Hidpi screen specially with its bloated ass Unity. Arch is so much smoother and the latest kernel works better on my laptop.
>>
>>52502146

Out of all the DEs, Unity is far and away the most HiDPI friendly on Linux. It supports variable % scaling that works on all applications.

If you though Unity wasn't good enough for HiDPI you should go back to Windows. Nothing else comes close.
>>
File: 1451763918389.jpg (1010 KB, 900x861) Image search: [Google]
1451763918389.jpg
1010 KB, 900x861
>>52502185
gnome works well for me at the moment,, but I was thinking about switching to tiling DE such as i3 but dont know how the scaling might work on those...
>>
>>52502084
Fuck you, no it's not. I was stuck on Debian for years thinking I had reached the best distro due to the shitty fuckers like you and your anti-Arch memes. Arch is literally as easy to use as Debian but with fresher packages and LESS BREAKAGE SOMEHOW. Arch is amazing.
>>52502052
OP, not everyone here is an expert, I'd recommend asking the people in the #archlinux IRC on freenode
>>
>>52502052
You went for Arch, one of the do-it-yourself distros, and you're complaining that shit doesn't just werk?
>>
>>52502146
nigger you're telling me you run arch, but don't know that there's different DEs on ubuntu?
>>
>>52502052
>install a distro that requires you to configure these things yourself, so you get total control
>cry when you don't configure these things yourself
HAHAHAHA YOU FUCKING IDIOT
>>
>>52502052
>Things that annoy me and dont work on Linux:
>1. Dolby Audio (right now music sounds like ass on linux)
>2. Touchpad features (no pinch, go back, acceleration)

Because you installed Arch and not Ubuntu. You need to do everything manually to get these things to work. That is the whole point of Arch, to have something slightly broken all the time so you can spend time fiddling and tweaking it.

You can only blame yourself for not installing and configuring the computer properly. You behave like you have installed Ubuntu or Mint and expect these things to "just work".

>3. sleep mode (put it to sleep once and it never wakes up kek)
>4. hidpi screen (all apps other looks like shit except for browser, terminal, word...)
>5. netflix lags like a bitch playing video
>6. there are many other things I am forgetting....
>>
File: 1451766025621.png (305 KB, 383x500) Image search: [Google]
1451766025621.png
305 KB, 383x500
>>52504688

none of those things work on ubuntu either....
>>
>>52503590

I dont want ubuntu Jamal
>>
>>52502052
>1. Dolby Audio (right now music sounds like ass on linux)

ALSA sucks and laptop manufacturers hack the shit out of Windows drivers to get it to sound good. Sorry, that's staying that way unless you grok ALSA big time and can tweak your driver.

> 2. Touchpad features (no pinch, go back, acceleration

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics

>3. sleep mode (put it to sleep once and it never wakes up kek)

Debug that shit. You probably don't even have swap.

>4. hidpi screen (all apps other looks like shit except for browser, terminal, word...)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI

>5. netflix lags like a bitch playing video

Use an alternative client or stop paying for fucking Netflix and just pirate your damn shows.
>>
File: 1451763729875.jpg (17 KB, 313x286) Image search: [Google]
1451763729875.jpg
17 KB, 313x286
>>52505083
1. no idea

2. that shit dont work, i tried already and it would make my OS hang. had to reinstall three times. At least now I can install arch without the wiki kek.

3. dont need swap when I got 16gb ram, and its a driver issue I think.

4. already gone through this as well to no avail.

5. cant say no to free netflix accounts now can I. I am a true nigger and I use Kodi as well.
>>
File: lubuntu1404.png (199 KB, 1531x962) Image search: [Google]
lubuntu1404.png
199 KB, 1531x962
>>52502146
Install Lubuntu, nigger. LUBUNTU!
>>
>>52502052
>I installed linux like OP
>I didn't bitch about it
>I would switch back to windows without telling the world that I failed at using linux, or even switched

Do you see what I saying you fucking retard?
>>
>>52502052
>2. Touchpad features (no pinch, go back, acceleration)

I think Wayland is suppose to improve touchpad gesture support.

http://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/gestures.html

>hidpi screen (all apps other looks like shit except for browser, terminal, word...)

Gnome, Cinnamon, or Unity works fine. All GTK apps have native support for hidpi scaling.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.