[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some decent-paying computer jobs that AREN'T programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: Computer-jobs-Computer_Careers.jpg (76 KB, 680x453) Image search: [Google]
Computer-jobs-Computer_Careers.jpg
76 KB, 680x453
What are some decent-paying computer jobs that AREN'T programming / sysadmin?

I'm good at computers, but I want a more physical / active / hands-on job. I literally HATE being sat at a fucking screen all goddamn day.

I used to work in a computer factory and that was fun. Maybe I should try and become a warehouse manager? Or maybe a components buyer? But are any of those jobs well paid?
>>
IT guy
>>
>>52499672
More specific?

I mean look at pic related. I guess he's some server maintenance guy? Is that kind of thing fun? It certainly looks more practical / active / hands on than just a straightforward development job. I imagine you have to go and visit sites, carry around hardware, replace faulty hardware, perhaps make purchasing decisions on hardware? And then I guess you just need some basic networking and sysadmin knowledge to get things up and running smoothly?

I just really fucking hate desk jobs, it's so unhealthy for you, mentally and physically, and I can't fucking STAND all the fucking office politics and BULLSHIT that comes with it. If I have to back to another office job I think I will fucking kill myself.
>>
>>52499656
The Navy has lots of active hands on jobs that pay really well and have amazing benefits to boot.
>You get to travel all around the world too.
>>
>>52500814
Care to explain?
>>
>>52499733
>server maintenance guy
that's system administration m8
>>
>>52500814
Would also like an explanation.
>>
>>52499656
Database admin
Security consultant
Network engineer
>>
>>52500964
>>52500982
Most of the shit the navy does is computer related. The fire control on the cannons, the antiaircraft, the torpedoes, and the navigation. The air force is even more reliant on computers because of drones and satellites.
>>
>>52499656
Network engineer can earn in the 100k range and spend a lot of time going to various places installing and fixing routers/switches/firewalls.
>>
File: Center_for_Information_Dominance.jpg (281 KB, 1920x1076) Image search: [Google]
Center_for_Information_Dominance.jpg
281 KB, 1920x1076
Intelligence Officer in the military, specifically the "Information Dominance Corps" of the Navy
Starting pay after taxes: +45k
After 4 years and 2 automatic promotions: +75k
(depends on where you live)

After that, companies will recruit the shit out of you.

This assumes that you're an American and able/willing to join the military.
>>
>>52502080
I don't know how the Navy does it, but in the Army you do not get to chose your branch if you go officer. Even if you have a degree in CS or IT, they could still be like, "Nope, we need a tank commander you can go fuck yourself with that degree." I wouldn't surprise me if the Navy was better about it, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they did the exact same thing. Going Warrant Officer is a lot safer, all you need to do is get that CW3 promotion and you're secure for life.
>>
File: seabee.png (95 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
seabee.png
95 KB, 220x220
>>52502080
Seabee Officer here.

The USN recruits officers (and I believe enlisted too) with guaranteed jobs. You go to Officer Candidate School knowing exactly what community you'll work for.

Hell, if you get disqualified from whatever community you want to join before/during OCS (happens to aviators a lot), you can find a different specialization or be separated from the military, no string attached.
>>
>>52502269

But in the navy, the only community you can select is the GAY community, amiright?
>>
Also all kinds of consultants, be it SAP, database, network, network security, computer security, etc. And you could do sales.

All those things require you to be an expert of your field though, which in turn require for you to have spent a shit-ton of time sitting/standing and staring at monitors.

If you don't like that kind of stuff, IT isn't for you.
>>
>>52500814
complete with their daily military circle jerks
if you'd like to be more than a giant welfare queen, you could try looking for jobs at places like Rackspace or Amazon that need people working on servers, switching out busted parts, etc.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.