[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you using Librem /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: librem.jpg (461 KB, 3192x2872) Image search: [Google]
librem.jpg
461 KB, 3192x2872
Why aren't you using Librem /g/?
>>
>>52499293
too expensive for what would otherwise be a novelty for me.

i have a desktop, when i'm not at home i have a smartphone i can do what i need to on.
>>
>>52499436
it's not about the price but the fact that this is pretty much the only modern free laptop out there.
>>
File: librem.jpg (9 KB, 350x233) Image search: [Google]
librem.jpg
9 KB, 350x233
>is completely unmarked
I don't understand how this isn't a massive trend in laptops

Everybody has this compulsion to slap a big ugly logo or name on the lid
>>
It'd probably cost me at least 2200 Amerimoneys.

>>52499698
It's not really free at all, though. Better than conventional options, sure, but certainly not as free as they like to claim.
>>
>>52499293
Too big, too powerful
>>
Because libreboot is actually free. Librem still leaves Intel's Management Engine, a hardwired backdoor, in place.
>>
>16:9
>number pad
>nope
>>
>>52500050
They have an entire section on IME you doofus

https://libreboot.org/faq/#intelme
>>
File: chrome-cr-48-notebook.jpg (100 KB, 620x476) Image search: [Google]
chrome-cr-48-notebook.jpg
100 KB, 620x476
>>52499811
That's one of my favourite things about my Cr-48

Well that and the rubber coated casing/keyboard
>>
>>52500087
>useful, non meme features
>nope
>>
>>52500036
there's a 13 inch version.

>>52499966
$1,649 at their site.
>>
>>52500169

I meant that Librem still leaves Intel's ME/AMT in place. There's a guy selling libreboot computers in ebay.
>>
>>52500218
>there's a 13 inch version.
That's the one I was looking at.
>>
>>52499293
I don't get it, can you guys actually afford to spend 1.6 - 2k on this?
>>
>>52500212
>numpad
>useful, non meme features
Go back to your data entry monkey job, Rachael.
>>
>>52500197
my dad fucking smashed my cr48
>>
>>52500302
Mine's hinge failed
>>
because they sell themselves on being freedom respecting but aren't any more free than laptops running coreboot

if I want freedom I'll just use my 2 libreboot laptops

>>52500169

and if you read the link you'll see that libreboot removes the management engine on laptops it supports (and the libreboot project will not support laptops with intel ME or AMD equivalent)

>Before version 6.0 (that is, on systems from 2008/2009 and earlier), the ME can be disabled by setting a couple of values in the SPI flash memory. The ME firmware can then be removed entirely from the flash memory space. libreboot does this on the Intel 4 Series systems that it supports, such as the Libreboot X200 and Libreboot T400. ME firmware versions 6.0 and later, which are found on all systems with an Intel Core i3/i5/i7 CPU and a PCH, include "ME Ingition" firmware that performs some hardware initialization and power management. If the ME's boot ROM does not find in the SPI flash memory an ME firmware manifest with a valid Intel signature, the whole PC will shut down after 30 minutes.

>Due to the signature verification, developing free replacement firmware for the ME is basically impossible. The only entity capable of replacing the ME firmware is Intel.
>>
Because I use an actual freedom respecting laptop
>>
>>52500280
freedom isn't cheap.
>>
>>52499293
>non-free hardware
>meme features
>retarded price

yeah sure why not
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.