[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give it to me straight, /g/, can NTFS be used on Linux with no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: windows 10 can't wake up.jpg (646 KB, 1724x1507) Image search: [Google]
windows 10 can't wake up.jpg
646 KB, 1724x1507
Give it to me straight, /g/, can NTFS be used on Linux with no problems? Are the horror stories about tons of stuff not "just werk"ing true even for a noob distro like Ubuntu? Do you need to learn a ton of command line junk to use many of the open source alternatives to Windows only programs on Linux?
>>
>>52499133
ntfs-3g works well but why would you use NTFS in the first place?
>>
>>52499133
>Give it to me straight, /g/, can NTFS be used on Linux with no problems?
ntfs-3g
>Are the horror stories about tons of stuff not "just werk"ing true even for a noob distro like Ubuntu?
No.
>Do you need to learn a ton of command line junk to use many of the open source alternatives to Windows only programs on Linux?
No, but it will make it easier.
>>
>>52499133
Dude just move to ext4.
As for cross platform file-system on flash drives just use FAT32
>>
>>52499167
>>52499177
Not OP,
I've used ntfs-3g on mac (before I switched to paragon) and I noticed that it's just so resource heavy/intensive, is this also on linux?
>>
>>52499133
It's fine but if you're switching to Linux you should use a Linux-native filesystem like ext4 or btrfs.
>>
>>52499217
It uses ~25% CPU when copying files for me. This is due to both NTFS being a massive pile of garbage and ntfs-3g's usage.
>>
>>52499167
Because all my shit is on externals using NTFS
>>
>>52499196
FAT32 is no longer viable at all. Many, many files now are over 4 gigs. You know what I mean.
>>
>>52499177
>>52499167
Does Windows recognize and work fine on NTFS-3G?
>>
What's wrong with exFAT?
>>
>>52499399
That's the entire point of ntfs-3g. If it weren't for Windows and NTFS, there would be no ntfs-3g project.
>>
>>52499399
>NTFS (New Technology File System) is a proprietary file system developed by Microsoft.

>NTFS-3G is an open source cross-platform implementation of the Microsoft Windows NTFS file system with read-write support
>>
>>52499409
still no file permissions
5GB files
>>
>>52499435
>>52499419
Well the wikipedia page for it frightened me because it says:

>It is runnable on Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenSolaris, BeOS, QNX, WinCE, Nucleus, VxWorks, Haiku,[1] MorphOS, Minix, Mac OS X[2] and OpenBSD.[3][4]

i.e. no Windows beyond CE is listed.
>>
>>52499251
>>52499217
It's slower and requires more CPU than other file systems because the ntfs-3g driver is running in userspace. There are NTFS drivers that run within the kernel but you have t pay for them.
>>
>>52499399
you really should take this to the stupid questions thread if you're gonna keep asking stupid questions
>>
>>52499547
Isn't a stupid question to me. I don't know how you deal with actual normies in real life.
>>
>>52499460
>no file permissions
okay, fine if you need that.
>5GB files
not true. It's 8 PB or something.
>>
here's as realistic an answer as you can probably expect on /g/

- all the basics will work out of the box (including NTFS, which works way better on linux than it does on OSX
- most of the good desktop environments and beginner distros (e.g. mint, ubuntu) have a very small learning curve
- most users of other operating systems are confused by package management. but in essence it's no different than an app store, other than the fact that you can add your own software sources
- the quality of FOSS alternative varies depending on the software. there's some stuff on linux that I like a lot more than the windows alternative, and there's some stuff that's worse.
- WINE is very good these days, most applications 'just werk', including some that I wasn't expecting to. https://appdb.winehq.org/ is a good place to check if an application will work or not
- the basics will work without the terminal, but if you run into a problem with your PC, you may find yourself having to copy-paste a few lines into it. honestly i find that easier than navigating the labyrinthine windows control panel. if you ever want to learn it, you can pick up the terminal a bit at a time. if you consider yourself a 'power user' on windows, you should learn to use the terminal, because it can be magnitudes more powerful and convenient than anything you can do on windows
- if you have AMD graphics, your experience will suck
>>
>>52499505
>There are NTFS drivers that run within the kernel but you have t pay for them.

>Having to pay for drivers
>on linux

I thought Linux was meant to do away with such garbage? Who would even try to monetize stuff on Linux? Well I guess for enterprises...
>>
>>52499581
The Tuxera NTFS driver is not only for Linux.

Anyway, ntfs-3g is good enough for the vast majority of scenarios. It's just if you need high performance, but then why would you be using a shitty file system like NTFS in the first place?
>>
>>52499578
Seems pretty helpful. I just google all this stuff and see "mounting NTFS on Ubuntu?" with people listing off 7 steps of obscure commands one has to enter and assume it won't just "show up" when plugged in even on Ubuntu
>>
>>52499581
there are tons of proprietary drivers written for linux not freely distributed
>>
NTFS performs terribly for me when on thumbdrives, as does fat and vfat. Not sure why, it doesn't seem a universal thing but my whole laptop grinds to a halt transferring several gb sized files to those.
>>
>>52499693
Sounds like you've got problems with thumb drives no matter what really.
>>
>>52499766
Not with ext4 or xfs though so I don't know. I can't figure it out, tried so many things and have just given up trying.
>>
>>52499649
>
If I recall, I was able to just plug in an NTFS-formatted drive on Ubuntu and have it work. I think it was mounted read-only by default though.
>>
>>52499466
That's because ntfs-3g is a driver for systems that don't natively support NTFS. Windows of course supports NTFS thus there is no need for an external driver.
>>
>>52499649
You really shouldn't read stuff that is older than 2010. Even Lynx 10.04 had plug and play NTFS R/W support.
>>
>>52499466
This has to be some kind of trolling.
>>
>>52500054
>>52500123

Well you see, over here in Idiot Windows User land, when we look at NTFS-3G--when we see something like that--we assume it's a "version" of NTFS only for Linux.

Over here in Idiot Windows User land if we needed an NTFS driver to read and write stuff that is in NTFS we would just call it the "NTFS driver," not some weird name that makes it seem like a custom version.

Do you understand our Idiot Windows User mindset now?
>>
>>52499133
>not using ReiserFS

Cuck
>>
>>52499409
The fuck you talkin about. I've put all of Guild Wars 2 on an exFAT drive without it complaining. Its a single 23GB data file as well.
>>
>>52501913
Whoops meant for >>52499466
>>
In general
- Overall, it'll work fine.
- Expect 10,20% slower, as it's a user level drive.
- Permissions and such are wonky on it, mainly a problem is trying to use it for linux stuff.
- I used it for a good year or so for my main media driver with no problem, before I reformatted it to ext so steam would work with it.

If you just want to transfer files back and forth between an external, it'll be fine, but a tad bit slower.
>>
>>52502986
Oh, and it'll probably work better than it did on osx, as fuse is a more linux thing.
>>
>>52500189
No. Learn the difference between a filesystem and a module, retard.
>>
>>52503727
And where is there an indication that NTFS-3G is a module and not a file system? Can you tell me that?
>>
>>52503772
Nowhere in the first post that mentioned it >>52499167
You just wrongly assumed that it was a filesystem. Don't blame others for your misunderstandings.
>>
It's fine for 'storage'.
Permissions don't work very well on it.
And it's just not a good file system.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.