[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chrome OS: A game changer and a meme to fall for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: ChromeOS.jpg (189 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
ChromeOS.jpg
189 KB, 1000x562
>Cheap as hell
>Runs linux
>Open source
>Has SeaBIOS
>No viruses or malware
>Can be wiped completely for linux installs
>Can run linux alongside Chrome OS
>Battery for literal days
>Incredibly simple and easy to use

Why haven't you gotten one of these for your family yet /g/? No more problems with slow ass windows, no more bullshit tinkering to do. It just WERKS

Why don't you have one of your own right now running arch? I
>>
You forgot
>No apps
>Web only
>botnet
>>
Just needs a port of those Office Android apps and it's be perfect.
>>
>>52498702
>Can be wiped completely for Linux installs

I'm honestly thinking about getting one over a ThinkPad
>>
sounds to me more like chromebooks are the "gamechanger". chrome os is a hobbled pile of garbage
>>
>>52498675
>Why haven't you gotten one of these for your family yet /g/?
My family isn't retarded.
>>
File: asus c200.png (420 KB, 1000x599) Image search: [Google]
asus c200.png
420 KB, 1000x599
I actually love my cheap little shitposting machine
Id fucking kill myself if it was my only computer, but since I spend 90% of the time on my desktop and only use it for fucking around on the internet before I go to bed and travel its perfect
i rarely even bring the charger when I go on a weekend trip cause the battery is so good
>>
>>52498675
Sounds good. Where can I get one?
>>
File: bezel.png (420 KB, 1000x599) Image search: [Google]
bezel.png
420 KB, 1000x599
>>52498807
>>
>>52498675
>>No viruses or malware
Give me a week, i've been busy
:^)
>>
>>52498755
don't. i made the same mistake -- contrary to what google shills say they don't work well with linux. just get a fucking x220 it's infinitely better
>>
>>52499274
lel
>>
>>52498675

Funny thing about ChromeOS, it basically looks and feels the same as Windows 10, botnet and all.

Except it actually works and performs, unlike Windows10.
>>
Because I have enough money to buy a real notebook.
>>
>>52498675

Hey buddy, I'm in the same camp:

I love Chrome OS.

What are the apps in your taskbar?

thanks!
>>
Does Chrome OS have a proper X server yet?
>>
reminder that google is skynet
>>
>>52498736
Chrome now has the Office Online extensions, and you can enable many extensions/apps to run offline as well.
>>
I have a 2011 Samsung Chromebook. Still runs really well, charges quick, lasts long.

The processor on this thing is terrible, but updates keep this laptop in the game.
>>
>>52498675
are you guys not concerned about privacy?

Also, is there a decent text editor, git, C/C++ compiler and/or python interpreter?
>>
>>52500022
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>52502774
>>
>>52502818
but what does a chromebook have over a regular netbook?
>>
>>52502809
@<|:o)8
>>
I've got one of the older Chromebooks, with the traditional HDD. Finally decided that I want my battery life back and ordered a cheap SSD. Will post results the next time I see a Chromebook thread after Wednesday.
>>
>>52502906
Cheap, and easy for simpletons who just want to browse/stream while still having a keyboard. Surprisingly comfy. Not bad at remote managing some stuff, either.
>>
>>52498675
>>Open source
>>
>>52502975
but netbooks are exactly that
>>
If i could do anything out of the box then sure i would get one
>>
>>52503033
Except that netbooks are even more dead than Chromebooks. And with the same specs, ChromeOS comes out faster and more stable than Windows, for less money. Granted, that doesn't keep me from dicking around with my netbook, but my Chromebook has utterly replaced it.

>>52503066
Chrome Web Store. You'll find a fair amount of functionality.
>>
>>52498702
>web only
Yeah except for the office suite and offline mail.
>>
Was looking at the Toshiba 13" Chromebook 2. Is the ability to install linux dependent from model to model as far as replacing Chrome OS? Or is it universal across the various different chromebooks? Honestly if I can guarantee Linux on the chromebook I have in mind, I'm buying it.

>13" 1080p screen
>4gb ddr3
>32gb ssd
>dual core celeron
>11 hours of use
>$250 at the door

Looking more and more tempting.
>>
>>52503033
Netbooks died out a long time ago. Chromebooks are much better spec/compatibility wise. My father has one, I think he's charged it 5 times within the past 2-3 months. Not entirely sure, but he uses it almost all the time.
>>
>>52498675
the cheap ones are hard to find and have shit specs
and for even just meh specs you way overpay for the hardware
since I don't need new and shiny to show off to people(no one to show off to) I can get better hardware for cheaper, by going refurbished
>>
>>52498675
my dad has one
>>
>>52502906
One way is that if you want a linux netbook, you will get great battery life and perfect driver compatibility if you install linux on a chromebook via Crouton. Crouton will use the same kernel that chromeOS uses so no driver or battery life problems.

Also super cheap chromebooks with 2gb of ram and atom processors will feel faster compared to super cheap windows netbooks with the same specs because chromeOS uses less resources compared to windows.

>>52503234
Actually the dell chromebook 13, which is considered a "premium" chromebook has the best build quality in it's price range.
>>
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/3/10706414/lenovo-thinkpad-13-chromebook-announced-ces-2016-windows-10

Is this the chromebook to have?

>mfw google doesn't allow trackpoints
???
>>
>>52503200
>>13" 1080p screen
>>4gb ddr3
>>32gb ssd
>>dual core celeron
>>11 hours of use
>>$250 at the door

Fucking hell why haven't you bought them all yet?

1080p
11 hours
250$
>>
>>52498675
I did, gave one to my mom. She loves it.
>>
>locked bootloader with open source BIOS that has to be hacked on, doesn't work with every model and still doesn't work properly with the latest chipset
>most chromebooks have windows alternatives with a generic bootloader and the same specs for the same price
pointless. this is a technology board not a board for consumer whores like you
>>
>>52504487
BTW a lot of people in this thread don't know the difference between an SSD and eMMC storage. FUCKING LOL is all i have to say. get a brain morans
>>
>>52500707
My C710 works just fine and I had to go and install seabios myself but once I put in the touchpad fix it worked fine
too bad the crubuntu set up is dead I liked how simple it was
>>
>>52498675

Got my parents a Chormebox as they are HOPELESS on both Windows and OSX. Only cost me $150 and they fucking love it (Budgeted for over $300 for a PC xmas present). Yeah, it's a botnet. Let the NSA monitor their Netflix sessions and all the videos of cats my mom looks at.

It boots up fast, it's simple to use, and they can't fuck it up. Automatically works with all Logitech devices. Thing is a god send.
>>
>>52503200
>>52503350
You won't be getting 11 hours battery on Linux.
>>
>>52498675
Oy m80, first thing I did on my shitbook was install Ubuntu, so it was my first look into linux.

Now I use distros that aren't shit, on a computer that's actually good.
>>
>>52498675
I have a feeling the battery life will be shit once you switch it over to linux
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.