[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /g/ think of the Pine64? >https://www.kickstart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: pine64.jpg (89 KB, 700x435) Image search: [Google]
pine64.jpg
89 KB, 700x435
what does /g/ think of the Pine64?
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pine64/pine-a64-first-15-64-bit-single-board-super-comput

I literally just found this, but I'm really having a hard time believing the $15 price tag for something that's even more powerful than the Raspberry Pi 2 which is a round $35
>>
Looks cool
bumping for interest
>>
>>52493481
first i've heard of it
>>
Looks nice. Might consider picking one of these up soon.
>>
>>52493481
Looks too good to be true, hence the kickstarter. We'll see.
>>
>falling for anything on the scamstarter maymay
>>
>>52493481
>oh look another revolutionary never been done before cheap arm computer in a similar form factor to a certian fruit pie device
>>
Looks like off brand raspberry pi.
>>
that's cool!

I can make a selfie machine! XDD
>>
>>52493481
Does anyone know if this is better than a new alienware for playing games (like crysis) or if i'd be better off with ayylmaoware?
>>
>>52494448
Bumping for interest
>>
Does it even decode 10bit videos?
>>
Can it run Crysis?
>>
>>52493481
Is it FOSS?
>>
Should scrap the other versions.

Android is fucking garbage without at least 2GB ram.

While it adds cost it make the device actually usable.
>>
>>52493481
>IT'S A SUPER COMPUTER!
No it's not.
Stop calling literally everything a supercomputer. If your device does not excede the compute capabilities of a typical consumer machine by several orders of magnitude, it is not a supercomputer.
>>
I'm intrigued. I'll reserve judgement until reviews hit.

I already own three raspberry pis, though. Rpi2 works pretty gud as a kodimachine, streaming off a nas. It could however be better.
>>
I have backed the version with 2 GB RAM. I just like to try it. There will be work for it to do. But maybe not Crisis...
>>
>>52495221
it does H.264 and H.265 Decoding on the Mali GPU
>>
>The typical desktop computer or server will operate anywhere between 75 to 300 watts

Come on now, even a decent desktop these days is ~50 watts idle.

Anyway, it looks like they took the hardware from the Remix Mini and removed the case, built-in wifi, bluetooth, extra RAM and internal storage. Which explains why it's so cheap.
>>
File: 1038.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1038.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>>52493481
>PINE A64 is the world's first 64-bit expandable Quad Core 1.2Ghz supercomputer, tablet, media center, and more... starting at just $15.
>supercomputer
>>
>Kikestarter
Please come back when the final product is released.
>>
>>52497858
The word supercomputer bugs me the way they're using it, although it is compared at an Apple I which one of the people in this project made a prototype for back in the 70s
>>
>>52493481
>kickstarter
Gross, no thanks op.
>>
people wanting to rip off raspberry pi and make a quick buck. into the trash it goes.
>>
>>52493481
meh it doesn't have an audio port.
>>
i have a quad core arm with 2gb of ram. called the cubox i4pro.

it sucks.
>>
>>52497733
Hardware h265 encoding? That's pretty nice.
>>
>I literally just found this, but I'm really having a hard time believing the $15 price tag for something that's even more powerful than the Raspberry Pi 2 which is a round $35

It's not hard to believe, check out the Orange Pi PC, it costs $15 and is at least as powerful as the raspberry pi 2.

but of course, the linux/software support is much much worse than the rpi 2, and I imagine that will be the same for the Pine64 - no accelerated video unless you use android, binary drivers, waiting years for mainline kernel support, etc.

you're probably better off getting a rpi 2 to be honest.
>>
It's practically the exact same thing as an orange pi, but with less features
>>
>>52498421
Where can you get an orange pi for $15?
>>
>>52498832
AliExpress
>>
can i run photoshop cs6 on this?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.