[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm switching to android next upgrade. I need some advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (166 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166 KB, 750x1334
I'm switching to android next upgrade. I need some advice as to what kind to get. I want an OS that's smooth and has a decent keyboard like iOS. The androids I've used in the past felt buggy and unresponsive. Recommendations?
>>
Keep using iOS.
>>
>>52491209
I wouldn't expect this from a /g/entleman
>>
>>52491188
iphone
>>
>>52491231

We need a sheeple containment board.
>>
>>52491231
Android still has a lot of issues that have to be resolved. The whole google thing is also worrying.
>>
>>52491188
>I've used in the past felt buggy and unresponsive. Recommendations?
stick with Google Nexus and don't use Android.
>>
>>52491262
>hurr durr le botnet
>>
I also want to root it but afraid that it would exacerbate the problems in talking about.
>>
>>52491262

If you think for a millisecond that Applel doesn't mine every scrap of data Google does (and probably then some), you're just deluding yourself.
>>
Nexus, the lag is usually due to 3rd party skins, which are not present on Nexus devices
>>
Why do you want an android phone? What are you gonna be using it for?

Be aware that even if you buy a flagship phone, if it's not one of the Nexuses or a sony from the Z line, it will get abandoned in 3 updates.
>>
>>52491368
I don't know anything about googles phones. Could I still root it and flash decent roms without issue? Are most apps compatible across non Apple phones?
>>52491378
The one thing I like about Apple is how standardized everything is. The straw that broke the camels back is the new audio jack. That's why I'm switching
>>
>>52491407
Yeah, in fact, the Nexus phones are made FOR developers, so unlocking their bootloaders and flashing a ROM is easier than any other device.

They also have huge developer support so even when google stops supporting them, you can still get the newest version, albeit a bit buggy.
>>
>>52491357

http://www.apple.com/in/privacy/approach-to-privacy/
>"We also refuse to add a backdoor into any of our products because that undermines the protections we’ve built in."
They've also publicly backed end to end encryption

>"Apple has no way to decrypt iMessage and FaceTime data when it’s in transit between devices. So unlike other companies’ messaging services, Apple doesn’t scan your communications, and we wouldn’t be able to comply with a wiretap order even if we wanted to. "

And another thing is that while they allow apps to cache their data in the iCloud, they still can't access them directly since apple does not give them the keys.

Not a macfag, but i do like their approach towards privacy (rather than shoving apps into your face like Google's <insertapp> to collect everything) for now.
>>
>>52491188
>I want an OS that's smooth
Stick with iOS. Having used both, I can safely say that while Android has many benefits (customization, root, ROMs, file format support, file browser, 3rd party apps...) stability is not one of them. Compared to iOS, Android feels less smooth and less stable.

The default keyboard on android isn't as good as iOS but it has got excellent swipe input which means you can just swipe across the letters instead of typing each letter individually.
>>
>>52491188
Get a Nexus or a Motorola phone
>>
>>52492348
>implying companies don't lie straight to your face all the time
>>
>>52491188
>buggy and unresponsive

Kill yourself
>>
>>52492348
>if they say so, it MUST be true!
>>
>>52491188
Are you a normie who doesnt know how to use a conouter or put in like 30 mins to get software that fits your desires? If so stick with apple.

The MUH SLoW arguement went out the window after ART and decent speced phones.
>>
>>52491188
Sony keyboard is the best I've used on Android
>>
>>52492727
Good point. I like how you defended your argument thoughtfully and with your experience as a user.
>>
I'm running LG G3 with SwiftKey Neural keyboard. Rootable, Rommable, good screen, battery life is decent (some lemon case has a battery pack included if you want). Haven't had an issue yet
>>
use cyanogenmod unless you want a locked down piece of shit stock android with malware
>>
>>52491188
Moto X Play and use the stock Google keyboard.
>>
File: 1448323690645.jpg (61 KB, 623x527) Image search: [Google]
1448323690645.jpg
61 KB, 623x527
>>52491188
>leaving decisions about how to spend your money up to autistic people on a chinese cartoons website
>>
>>52491188
That's not how it works. Keyboard has nothing to do with particular device, just install the one you like. Smoothness won't be a problem as long as you buy any flagship, disable all unwanted shit and maybe use some other launcher (nova is pretty cool).
>>
I didn't read through the thread since no one here knows anything, but if you're coming from iOS there are really only two kinds of phones you should be considering, and those are the Nexus devices and Motorola phones.

From best to worst, I'd say the order is Nexus 6p, Moto X Pure, Moto X Style, Nexus 5x.

If you're tight on cash and want a budget phone (which I doubt since you had an iPhone previously) then I'll say that the moto g probably has the best price for the value, followed by the moto x pure edition.

Don't even consider buying a samsung phone, or any other oem for that matter.
>>
>>52498012
Why shouldn't I consider Samsung or Sony?
>>
>>52498614
Samsung consistently produces the most powerful hardware, but thanks to their shit memory management their phones slow down over time.

Every other oem is more or less alright hardware wise, but the custom android skins they have only slow down android. If you plan on rooting and flashing a custom rom though the oem doesn't really matter (except samsung. Even with rooting/flashing samsung phones are terrible).
>>
>>52492348
>closed source
>reliable EVER
>>
I feel like it's more the screen than the OS
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.