[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people buy VPNs again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
Why do people buy VPNs again?
>>
Because china
>>
>>52486668
youtube red
>>
>>52486668
link?
>>
convenience.
setting one up so not so difficult, especially with automated tools like streisand.
>>
>>52486689
[spoiler] The VPS prices are excluding a 21% VAT, which supposedly some people might not have to pay, but being a non-company in the EU, I did. [/spoiler]
http://www.time4vps.eu
>>
>>52486733
For using a VPS as a VPN, is storage important at all, or can I just get the lowest storage option?
>>
>>52486758
not at all, unless you want really verbose logging.
>>
Also keep in mind that if you're going to use a vps as a vpn for piracy, that's not a good idea. The vps is in your name.
>>
The 2 year plan for the VPN is actually reasonable, considering that comes with unlimited bandwidth and a choice of nodes all over the world.
Then again it's a choice of nodes known to be VPNs, which means they're likely blocked in a lot of places.
Then again again, if your main concern is not getting data mined, you want an address used by a lot of other people.
>>
>>52486917
true. ironically i live in the middle easy, where no one gives a shit about copyright laws, so torrenting is fine with no proxying needed.

the vpn is a god send for circumventing censorship.
>>
>>52486917
Nobody's policing this stuff in Eastern Europe.
Unless you're running a popular public tracker, nobody's going to bother you.
>>
>>52486668
>he's a poorfag who can't afford privacy

just nys
>>
I do for access to IPs around the world.
>>
>>52486668

I can see one reason a non logging VPS is a better option:

If you have a VPS the provider can still potentially log all incoming connections, and is more likely to comply with LE requests to do so.

That is true of a VPN as well, but the best ones own their servers and do not log at all and do not comply.

Should someone want to identify your actions online a trusted VPN is probably a safer option for anonymity.

Also if your VPS/VPN is in a European country you can forget privacy protection or anonymity.
>>
>>52486668
One, I just asked in their livechat and they said copyrighted content is not allowed and that they could/would reveal my identity to authorities. Many VPN services explicitly protect against that.

Two, it would only give me one exit node and it'd be in Lithuania. The advantage of a VPN service is that I can choose US/Canada/Scandinavia for access to country-specific services, or NL for hassle-free torrenting.
>>
>>52486668
>Multiple nodes all around the world (good to find offers, buying in eastern europe sites is cheaper)
>Better against data mining than your own one since the IP is used by many users
>Unlimited bandwidth and usually higher speeds than your VPS
>>
>>52486917
Is that true? Why would there be a difference between being tracked down by the VPN or VPS provider based on billing information?
It would make sense if VPS providers can't trace back your traffic to your ip, but most VPS providers probably can.
More to the point, if you set up a VPS for yourself and let some other people use it you can defend yourself by saying you provide VPS, you'd be as much responsible for traffic from your server's ip as any other VPS provider AND have full control of logs.
>>
>>52490688
Provide VPN*
>>
>>52486668
I pay for VPN from Privateinternetaccess
Because torrenting movies and software is safer, international Netflix, fun with posting bots to Reddit etc, privacy in coffee shops and airports
They also do not log your activity and you can pay anonymously if you want
>>
>>52486668
Your VPS service provider can see what IP was connecting in to it (yours) and LEA can Issue a DOE Subpoena or you can read into the CALEA act to denonymize. as compared to the VPN provider that has no way of knowing who did what. You're essentially paying for the cover of hiding in a crowd rather than behind a single person.
>>
File: shot.png (582 KB, 1349x5689) Image search: [Google]
shot.png
582 KB, 1349x5689
>>52486668
>literally unknown isp
>probably honeypot

just saying.
>>
>>52491073
Unless your VPS becomes a legal VPN provider.
>>
>>52486668
Because they think "no logs"-statement is true.
>>
>>52486668
For Netflix and to shitpost in /int/ and/pol/.
>>
>>52486668
To get access to servers in multiple countries, if you get a vps you're stuck with that single ip in that country... if that's what you need you can do it yourself for a fraction of the price of a vpn
The other difference is that with a vps you're paying someone to host it and that someone has your name and everything, other than that legally there's no difference
>>
>>52491657
The only VPN I had was froot back when it was free and that was blocked on 4chan and The Escapist site didn't load at all. I get that that's much less to be a problem for VPNs that weren't free at any point, but still.
>>
>>52491341
Do not use server4you its crap even kimsufi(OVH) is better. used their .com version ones and you need to write a fucking letter to cancel their service.
>>
>>52486668
whites will do anything for a false sense of security
>>
is vyprvpn good?
>>
>>52486668
to shitpost on /pol/
>>
>>52492954

vs. niggers who don't mind going to jail and visiting their family and friends.
>>
>>52486733

Are you portuguese?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.