[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Poettering finally gets his foot in the Slackware door
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09253

>"(...) with some trepidation, we began investigating adding PulseAudio to Slackware. After several iterations here refining the foundation packages and recompiling and tweaking other packages to use PulseAudio, it's working well."

So Slackware is cucked now, given that PulseAudio will obviously depend on systemd in the near future, and Slackware will be forced to adopt it to sustain a working audio subsystem.
>>
They will fork it then. Where's the problem?
Also /THREAD
>>
>>52474349
Yea right. So they now adopted PulseAudio so something else can work (instead of finding another way out), and you're implying that later someone will go all the way back and get rid of PulseAudio (which other stuff became dependent on in the meantime) to avoid systemd?

>Also /THREAD
It's not for $RANDOM_ANON to "/thread" other people's threads.
>>
>>52474277
I don't miss a distro that doesn't even check dependencies and rely on obsecure build scripts to install things. Which can easily be done with apt and yum.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (7 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
7 KB, 300x100
>>
>>52474277
Why can't they just use alsa?
>>
>>52474823
Because apparently after some change somewhere Bluetooth audio stopped working, which could be resolved by a newer version of the Bluetooth component, which stopped supporting ALSA and requires PulseAudio now.
>>
File: 1452988222835.jpg (110 KB, 793x960) Image search: [Google]
1452988222835.jpg
110 KB, 793x960
This guy need die.
>>
>people being surprised

slackware's MO is adding a ton upon another ton of software for full installations. no shit as Systemd becomes common place it'd work its way into slackware.

>>52474604
>I don't miss a distro that doesn't even check dependencies and rely on obsecure build scripts to install things.

sbopkg mitigates most of that. all you have to do is check the readme and add dependencies to queue to install all in order.
>>
>>52477157
>as Systemd becomes common place it'd work its way into slackware

http://strawpoll.me/6101272/
>>
>>52474697
>OS choices for 2016:
>Botnet10
>iOSX
>GNU/systemd
>>
There's no way Pottery isn't an alphabet soup agent plant.

Making such vulnerable, botnet-ridden malicious code on purpose with no apparent reason other than muh baselevel coordination should be enough of a hint.
>>
>>52479628
He's a useful idiot, nothing more. The government can find programmers with bad personalities anywhere and give them power over software projects.
>>
>>52479628
Genuinely curious, what in pulseaudio or systemd is malicious and/or botnet.
>>
well...................

time to install freebsd on my former slackware box
>>
There will always be Gentoo.
>>
>there's autists on /r9k/ that shoot up schools for nothing
>yet there isn't a single autist willing to kill this toxic faggot to do us a favor
>>
>>52478331
Busybox/Linux i.e. alpinelinux
>>
So... Devuan when?
>>
>>52478271
meh. slack aims for stability. if the vast majority of the programs it comes with become dependent on sysd, its going to eventually pick it up.

imo sysd is the future, for better or worse. too many users are indifferent, and its integration with Debian and Arch pretty much cemented that it'll stay
>>
>>52479689
It is Poetterware.
>>
>>52479846
But Linux as such becoming fully and wholly dependent on a thing such as systemd (which, btw, keeps devouring more OS components as we speak) isn't really the Linux we once knew anymore, it's something different. It's a bit like comparing good old Windows 2000 with the mess we've arrived at that is Windows 10 (the analogy may be stretched and limited, but I guess you get it).
>>
>>52479763
Busybox is hardly a viable option for a full-fledged OS, it's a trimmed-down solution for things like embedded Linux, installers, etc.
>>
>>52479763
>>52480090
>alpinelinux
is this a good option for my shitty hp mini 110e netbook?

do I have to compile everything myself?
>>
>>52480235
no, it has a package manager.

http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Alpine_Linux_package_management#Overview

it has a decent guide on creating your own alpine packages as well if you need to. recently more daily driver type of programs have been added to the repository.
>>
>>52480235
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=alpine
>Category: Firewall, Server, Security, Telephony
>Alpine Linux is a community developed operating system designed for x86 routers, firewalls, VPNs, VoIP boxes and servers. It was designed with security in mind; it has proactive security features like PaX and SSP that prevent security holes in the software to be exploited. The C library used is musl and the base tools are all in BusyBox. Those are normally found in embedded systems and are smaller than the tools found in GNU/Linux systems.
>>
>>52474277
GNU FAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

IT's about time GNU is removed from Linux. A bunch of authoritative retards who want everyone to follow their rules.
>>
>>52480362
With arm support looks good :)
>>
>>52480310
good, I'm trying the live version first though

>>52480362
so, is it any good?
>>
>>52480508
Well, as you can see it's not exactly intended for a desktop type of computer (be it an actual desktop or laptop/netbook), but rather for network gear or small servers.
>>
File: isFjnK6.gif (4 MB, 426x284) Image search: [Google]
isFjnK6.gif
4 MB, 426x284
>>52480043
>>
>>52480476
>"xyz fags btfo and on suicide watch hurr"

Can this stupid meme stop for once, please?
>>
>>52480569
Yes, that's an accurate depiction. It used to be somewhat funny back when it was first made a few years ago, but at this point it's just saddening.
>>
ITT: I dont like change its scary. I want Linux to continue using depricated software because of my outdated UNIX philosophy that was meant for computers 30 years ago.

/thread
>>
When can we get OSS4 back?

Fuck alsa, fuck pulse audio.
give me OSS
>>
>>52480695
>"there's nothing wrong with either PulseAudio or systemd"

I wish this was true, and I guess hardly anyone would have their resevations if it indeed was the case. What you say is like arguing how Windows 10 supposedly is great just because it was released and is the way to go for every Windows user no matter the glaring problems with it.
>>
what package manager does slackware use?
>>
>>52480784
I think you meant to quote someone else. I didn't say any of those things.
>>
>>52480786
pkgtool or slackpkg (no automatic dependency resolution though).
>>
>>52480816
No, I meant to quote you. You appear to have argued that changes which happen should be necessarily followed regardless of their possible (or even glaring) problems and deficiencies.
>>
>>52480892
There are no issues with systemd, only memes that autistic faggots make up
>>
>>52480966
Only if you compile a minimal systemd yourself.
An init deamon should have minimal scope so that it is a smaller attack vector.
>>
My favorite feature of systemd is how it buttblasts countless autists
>>
>>52479763
I've heard about toybox too, what separates it from busybox?
>>
>>52477157
>all you have to do is check the readme and add dependencies to queue to install all in order
And why isn't this done automatically? If I wanted to do computations manually I would use an abacus.
>>
>>52480966
>"There are no issues with systemd"
>this hard in denial
>>
>>52481223
Arch attempts to do lots of stuff automatically, and often breaks for no apparent reason. Slackware won't break unless you break it yourself.
>>
>>52481223
>And why don't manual transmission cars just shift gears automatically? If I wanted to mess around with a stick I'd just fap.
>>
>>52480966
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
http://www.gabordemooij.com/index.php?p=/escape_from_systemd
http://systemd-free.org/
http://draketo.de/light/english/top-5-systemd-troubles

Lots of "autistic faggots making up memes" it seems?
>>
>complaining about pulseaudio when practically every audio API thats been developed for linux within the past 2 decades has ended up being a POS.
>>
>>52481644
The problem at this point is less PulseAudio itself than the fact that once it becomes completely dependent on systemd it will most likely become impossible for Slackware to keep avoiding the latter.
>>
>>52481482

>Lots of "autistic faggots making up memes" it seems?
Yep sure seems that way
>>
>>52481760
Calling people "autistic faggots" and their arguments "memes" without explicitly adressing any doesn't give you much credibility, you know.
>>
>>52480695
>it is now "new" and "hip" to disparage and ignore good engineering practices
welp, so much for FOSS
>>
I'm getting tired of poettering's shitty software. Today I issued usermod -l <newuser> <olduser> to rename my account, and then changed the home directory. I chown'ed -R name:group my home directory, and now pulseaudio keeps shitting the bed. Only ONE program can generate audio now, and unloading the module-something-cork does not fix the problem.
>>
File: BSD-anime-girls.png (470 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
BSD-anime-girls.png
470 KB, 900x720
Simple solution to avoid pottering, we all move to *BSD. Pick one, any one.
>>
>>52482282
delete your pulseaudio dotfile? Have your tried turning it off and on again?
>>
>>52482341
>delete your pulseaudio dotfile?
Been there done that.

>Have your tried turning it off and on again?
Yes.
Starting pulseaudio with pulseaudio -v is not consistent either. If more than one song has played, pulseaudio will be busy and mpv, for instance, won't be able to output any sound for a while.
>>
>>52482282
On that note, I am using KDE+xdm, and the 'shutdown' and 'restart' buttons are gone too.
>>
>>52480695
systemd is not a change its shit.
>>
>>52482489
what exactly is wrong with systemd?
>>
>>52482500
its shit.
>>
>>52482518
as in specifics?
>>
>>52482500
SystemD is the result of forcing GNU devs to think for themselves since they can no longer clone good software frome ATT and Sun. You're better off learning OpenBSD and switching as soon as you can.
>>
>>52480695
>because of my outdated UNIX philosophy
The UNIX philosophy follows the basis for engineering in general. It's much easier to debug, secure and maintain small, concise, clean pieces of software that WORK, as opposed to monolithic, overly complex ones.

Systemd IS a massive security vulnerability waiting to happen.
>>
>>52482500
Very much. For starters, check out the gif posted by >>52480569 and the links posted by >>52481482.
>>
>>52482529
Once you pare down the problems, ignoring for a moment the bad blob design that tries to do everything, the buggy code, the antagonistic developers, there's the following:

http://ewontfix.com/14/
http://ewontfix.com/15/

tl;dr THE FUCKING THING DOESN'T EVEN DO INIT PROPERLY
>>
>>52480721
You can compile oss4 in gentoo
>>
>>52482530
>*bsd
No support for nvidia blob
Open source(Reverse engineered) so is baby its not feasible for anything
Amd drivers are shit

Yeah no
>>
Poettering is the only man trying to get Linux useable on the desktop. You all meme that systemd is awful but none of you can actually articulate why.
>>
>>52482814
>*bsd
>Yeah no

Then >>52478331 will literally be all your choices. If you consider *BSD too bumpy, then obviously so is Plan9 or anything else you could come up with.
>>
>>52474277
Slackware wasn't ever married.
>>
>>52483074
Making it an obtuse, opaque and partially downright broken clusterfuck similar to modern Windows is not the solution.

>none of you can actually articulate why
Reasons or links to such were given many times (such as here >>52481482). It's you and your ilk who keep repeating how supposedly there's nothing wrong with it and nothing beyond that.
>>
>>52483096
At the moment, it's more like we have:

GNU/systemd (Redhat, Debian)
GNU/Linux (Gentoo, Funtoo)
Busybox/Linux (Alpine, Void)
>>
>>52483105
Obviously "cucked" was meant figuratively (as in "screwed over and dominated by a malevolent outside intruder").
>>
>>52483269
>Defending a stupid meme.
>>
Hate systemd all you want, systemd gives me based user service units.
>>
>>52483672
>systemd gives me based user service units
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>52483728
IIRC, user service units allow you to run daemons as a different user. It's pretty neat for something like mpd or emacs
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.