[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Password managers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: encryption.jpg (19 KB, 211x238) Image search: [Google]
encryption.jpg
19 KB, 211x238
SO /g/, are there any good password managers out there?

What are your methods?
>memory
>old school writing them down
>password managers (if so, what are they)

I'm thinking of getting a password manager, but I don't really want to put all my passwords into one place, so i want to know the best managers out there, that are /g/ verified.
>>
>>52474099
Not using an encrypted keychain
>>
>>52474425
>encrypted keychain
windows fag here
>>
KeePass. Just don't forget to backup your database file
>>
>>52474481

This
>>
>>52474481
Thanks, you've avoided LastPass in your suggestion, is there any reason?
>>
>>52474099
Just write your own.
>>
File: 1452903404819.png (202 KB, 360x690) Image search: [Google]
1452903404819.png
202 KB, 360x690
I use KeePass and disable the version counter check. I don't want compromised DNS opening up an avenue of attack. The password is a long sentence with loan words from different niches (weebs, koreabus, Bollywood films, etc.) The key file is encrypted of course and is actually a text document detailing how to generate in GIMP the exact 3x3 bmp needed to unlock the database.
>>
>>52474515
Not that anon, but I use KeePass because I am fundamentally against "the cloud". With KeePass you keep everything on your machine.

I can't trust it being on some server somewhere, especially with something as sensitive as passwords.

And in the event you do want your database in the cloud for portability, you can just host the file on something like dropbox
>>
>>52474555
How would I even do that? What language? how would I use encryption with C++? or C#?

>>52474607
Thank you :)

>>52474581
>The key file is encrypted of course and is actually a text document detailing how to generate in GIMP the exact 3x3 bmp needed to unlock the database
Seems, like a trick.. is this something you personally do? or is this something that is well-known?
>>
>>52474467
get out.

>>52474481
also use a key file never uploaded anywhere.
>>
>>52474631
It's my own special flavor of autism.
>>
using yapet myself
>>
>>52474481
This. KeePassX is a good counterpart, too. Use a strong passphrase (10-word Diceware) to lock it.

>>52474515
"The Cloud" is just other people's computers. You do not want to store your primary authentication credentials on other people's computers, unless it is strongly encrypted AND AUTHENTICATED. (Be very careful of that last one.)
>>
>>52476334
Yeah I was kinda hoping for that answer, when i saw that LastPass was highly rated on other site, I couldn't see why when it is on the cloud.

I much rather create my own but I wouldn't know how to haha. I know C++ and C#, but I woudn't be able to use that with encryption sadly.

Can I just ask about Diceware, so are passwords that are literally phrases like " i like words alot because they are fun" are stronger than passwords like "s(;3D9g@[4Do>]~43)92*" ????
>>
>>52474099
How hard is it to remember a couple passwords?
>>
>>52476476
Well since I have multiple accounts more than (15) that all share passwords with between 20/30 characters.. that are literally like "`\>2ZnDT>:HT6%g@"

its gets hard remembering those
>>
>>52476507
Fair enough
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.