[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Update?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
Hey /g/, should i upgrade to Windows 10 or keep my Windows 7?
>>
>>52473042
lel

don't fall for w10 meme
use windows 7
>>
>>52473042
What do you do on Windows that you can't on Loonix?

>inb4 GAYMS!
This board is 18+.
>>
>>52473042
install gentoo
>>
8.1 + classic start.
>>
>>52473180
Maximum overprojection
>>
Depends on if you value privacy at all. If not, yeah, it's a pretty great OS.
>>
I installed Windows 10 on my laptop.
I also use Linux (Ubuntu)
>inb4 Ubuntu is for normals
I like Linux better because it's way more responsive than Windows 10
If you like the look of windows 10, then you should probably just install a skin pack on Windows 7.
>>
Depends.

Overall, mainstream support for windows 7 was cut on January 12th of last year, but you can still (somewhat) safely use it. The thing is that they're probably eventually going to do what they did with XP - stop offering support altogether and the community will move on from it.

I won't use this post as a podium to preach about how much windows sucks, but updating to Windows 10 isn't going to be a great experience that's really all that different. It's definitely better than 8 / 8.1, but that's not saying much.

If you upgrade:

The update is free, so that helps. I already mentioned that you'll have more support, but this also translates to (theoretically) better security.

The issue is that with windows 10, you lose a ton of privacy. The interface is more like a touch screen, which is kind of annoying if you're using a laptop / desktop.
>>
>>52473180
Gaymen.

I do not play games myself and the lack of compatibility is the fault of the gaymes rather than the fault of the OS, but that is a fatal flaw for many people.
>>
File: 1452020479419.gif (975 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1452020479419.gif
975 KB, 400x225
>>52473042
>Hey /g/uys should i hate freedom?
No
>>
>>52473296

Basically this. I'm not a gamer but the fact that Windows were in such a rush to release another operating system that they forgot to accommodate an entire market demonstrates how rushed the OS is.
>>
>>52473227
Ubuntu is for normies, fucking normiefag
>>
>>52473235
>they're probably eventually going to do what they did with XP - stop offering support altogether and the community will move on from it

you wish

I'm still using XP and I won't move until something happens to my computer
>>
>>52473235
Sensible post.

10 is the 'last version' of Windows, and is a rolling release, kind of like Arch. The Enterprise version has the option for long-term-support-base (snapshot) releases too, LTSB, but you don't want that because many things will rely on newer APIs going forward - that's like running Debian oldstable.

They're no longer developing on 7/8/8.1 at all, except for critical security fixes (even though 8.1 hasn't officially left mainstream support), so if you have hardware which is Skylake or newer, you had better update because you won't get any more microcode updates.

As far as the privacy issues go: Don't accept Express Settings, but Customise; turn off everything in the setup that you don't like (there will be several things, for example, keystroke logging for autocorrect).

"Basic" telemetry is less communication with MS of your data than any previous version of Windows (DrWatson core dumps, anyone?), and is the minimum required to actually have an update mechanism that works (i.e. what programs/devices are installed). It does respect that telemetry settings, despite dodgy blogs trying to claim otherwise.

Trying to circumvent that is a bad idea, which it's designed to protect against, because that's something malware could use to disrupt Windows Update (not that that's a super-reliable service; it's actually quite flaky at the moment). Turn it to that from the default. "Enhanced" telemetry is probably best avoided. "Full" telemetry is only in the "Insider" beta builds but is very invasive (i.e. can send your files) - unusual for external betas, but there are very clear warnings about that.

Anyone going "muh botnet" about it and pointing to traffic logs without looking inside them is an idiot who forgot that it essentially torrents Windows Updates now: a pretty sensible decision, all things considered.

The upgrade from 7/8/8.1 to 10 will be free until at least June. They haven't said if they will charge for the upgrade after that. Maybe?
>>
>>52473548
Settle down, neckbeard. At least it allows some people to switch over from Windows. Nobody wants to spend 25 hours a day maintaining their OS. Ubuntu just werks.
>>
>>52473574

I hope you're not buying shit online or have anything sensitive on there.
>>
>>52473594
logged a few times into my banking account, why?
>>
Updated on Friday. Thought it was amazing at first, then got a BSoD maybe an hour into it. Had to update all my video drivers again. Other than that it's fine...
>>
>>52473619

Because it's one of the most vulnerable OSes out there since they stopped updating it last year.

I had a girlfriend that only used XP. It's not like it won't work, it just makes you really vulnerable to attacks.
>>
>>52473548
I like things that work. I may be moving to Fedora or Debian.
I did try installing Arch, it was pretty easy (so I'm not a normiefag?)
I just didn't like how everything broke after a few days (xorg decided to not work), and here I am at ubuntu.
>>
>>52473796
Yeah, I know that... But I have no choice. I've no dedicated GPU and newer Windows versions refuse to install or crash midway during the installation process.

I don't want to bother with Linux since it doesn't have proper alternatives to the software I use on a daily basis.
>>
>>52473888

Damn that sucks. Like I said I won't preach, but using windows xp alone is really insecure.
>>
>>52473888

I know nobody wants to hear me say something like this but you could get a netbook on Craigslist for like $50, DBAN it, and then put linux on it. You could still use your primary XP os for work or whatever but do bank stuff / sensitive stuff on the Linux pc.
>>
>>52474005
I've seen thinkpads on the cheap, hell, I have even recommended some to other people who needed a cheap laptop for internet browsing.

But it is really worth it, though?
>>
>>52474134

I would say yeah. The thing is that everyone thinks they're immune from identity theft or having their data stolen until it happens to them. You wouldn't believe how many nudes of people's wives are floating around that they never intentionally shared with anybody. Just last week someone tried to trick my grandmother into giving her social security number for a "Free Rush Limbaugh T Shirt."

Obviously you're not that gullible, but you're using literally one of the most outdated setups you possibly could.

As far as if a thinkpad is worth it I say it depends on what you're trying to do. We live in a world where basically everyone is a major electronics consumer so there's no "one size fits all" set up for everyone.

The only things I would say that really aren't worth it are buying a chromebook at retail price. Nobody likes netbooks but I really like them because I don't do a whole lot online.
>>
>>52473578
The main botnet concern I have isn't spying. My main botnet concern is them tampering with my system. They already installed adware on Windows 7 without user consent. I would not put it past them to do even worse things with 10.

They have much stronger control over your system than they did with 7 and have shown they are willing to use it.
>>
>>52474595
I wouldn't say it's a bad thing that they can push updates. Out-of-date Windows boxes have been a scourge to the entire internet for years. They should use that: it's about bloody time.

That said, I agree that how responsible they'll be with that is definitely a live concern.

But if you don't trust your operating system vendor to not push you malware, then honestly, on whatever system that concerns you on, you shouldn't run their code at all and should switch to another OS.

That's true of any OS's updates, but most particularly if it's a rolling-release (like 10 is). I mean, it could happen with Arch. It probably won't! But it could.

It's a fairly comparable situation, except for Windows being a closed-source ecosystem controlled by one company: albeit one company with a very strong financial interest in not fucking it all up for everyone.

I run a few OSes. I'm typing on a Windows box, but all my servers are one flavour or another of Linux (I'm actually preparing a new server build based on Ubuntu xenial at the moment, which - even though in development - is performing flawlessly and very quickly!) and there's an ageing Linux (not actually GNU/Linux) laptop over there. I've tried OpenBSD a couple of times but don't really get on with the aesthetic, it's a bit too oldschool UNIXy for me. I truly respect the devs, however.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.