[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can Android be fixed? It's getting worse and worse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: Nexus2-1-980x653.jpg (147 KB, 980x653) Image search: [Google]
Nexus2-1-980x653.jpg
147 KB, 980x653
How can Android be fixed?

It's getting worse and worse with each version update.
>>
>>52472278
>worse and worse

No. It's getting closer and closer to Google's ultimate goal.
>>
>>52472282
>closer and closer to Google's ultimate goal
how is that not worse and worse
>>
>>52472278
yeah it was fucking great on 1.5 and then they ruined it right desu senpai
>>
File: 1324603121001.png (8 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
1324603121001.png
8 KB, 493x402
>yfw iOS is amazing but will forever be locked to overpriced fashion accessories
>yfw only choice is Shitdroid or Windead Phone
>>
>>52472302
desu senpai Froyo and ICS were pretty great
>>
>>52472278
Android was fucked from the get-go with non-shitskin consumers due to initial marketing/advertising, and continued fragmentation.

> Create a strict set of guidelines regarding minimal/recommended hardware specs for Android devices; similar to how Microsoft has for Windows devices

> Clean up the Play Store, and make a conscious effort to get rid of shovelware and copycat apps. I'm sick of 99% of search terms for any given thing being some garbage that Patel or Mudasir made while using a designated shitting street.

> Give whomever (consumers/manufacturers) the ability to install and use stock Android ROMs on any device, or at least give consumers the ability to remove any and all bloatware with ease.

> Give developers an incentive to focus on Android development just as much as iOS development. This means giving them some type of incentive to push software updates faster, and optimize software better.

> Push major Android software updates at the same time, for all carriers, and as many devices as possible. Microsoft has no problem with this, and Apple has zero problem with this.
>>
>>52472323
>he doesn't know about the god-like goodness of BB10

>inb4 m-muh apps!
Knee grow, please.
>>
>>52472410
>clean up the play store
If they're going to allow any shit developer to post whatever shit app they want to on it, they need to at least have better filtration options so you're not stuck scrolling through a massive pile of shit to find something you're looking for or that's interesting.

Anyway a lot of android's problems stem from the fact it's meant to be sold to low income nignogs and untouchables, so google doesn't really give a fucking shit about flagship performance other than its data collection software(for blatantly obvious reasons)
>>
>>52472455
didn't rim announce the end of their OS a while ago?
>>
>>52472471

Bullshit. Apples biggest consumer base at Mexicans, niggers and brits
>>
>>52472323
The hell are you on about. iOS is shit and has been going nowhere but downhill with iOS 9.
>>
>>52472602
Nah, the majority of Apple customers are middle-upper class whites.

Those demographics can only really afford the devices on contract. When money is not a concern, most consumers in the market for a phone just get an iPhone.
>>
>>52472602
Don't forget the chinks now
>>
>>52472633
iOS runs great... on latest hardware

it's fucking hilarious that version updates always break old hardware, it's like they don't even care
>>
>>52472278
Please explain how android is getting worse and worse? M is awesome!
>>
>>52472563
They would still support it through 2016, and there is a big update coming in March. Unfortunately, they will likely go full Android after that.

iOS - locked down babby-tier shit for metrosexuals
Android - Google's supreme data collector
Windows - half-baked Win 10 garbage, and also a data collector

We can't win anymore.

Sailfish is more or less dead. Ubuntu is probably the only slim choice that we have. Fugg.
>>
>>52472323
So much this
>>
>>52472655
It really doesn't. Bugs out the ass on iphone 6 and latest ipad mini. It's bad
>>
>>52472278
It's fucked. They stuck with java for some fucking retarded reason when jumping to 5.0 and ART.
There is so many exploits and cracks for it that googles only option is to increasingly lock down the phone **which doesn't actually stop the vulnerabilities**
>>
>>52472665
botnets aside, since every smartphone OS is a botnet now, Windows mobile is probably the best of the 3 since BB is officially dead.

why can't we just have something like BB with actual dev support?
>>
>>52472278
MIUI 7 is good at least. Literally optimized Android 5 with better performance and battery life
>>
>>52472731
You like China spying on you?
>>
>>52472278
For me Android peaked with 4.1 and it's been going downhill since then.
5.0 is an ugly abomination.
>>
>>52472278
Google needs to stop depreciating solid UI features and let users truly customize their experience. Where are my ticker notifications and lockscreen widgets to name a few? The relevant Xposed modules are only cheap emulations of past stock features.
>>
File: Meego-handset-launcher.png (154 KB, 473x859) Image search: [Google]
Meego-handset-launcher.png
154 KB, 473x859
I wish Nokia didn't ditch Maemo/MeeGo.
>>
>>52472911
more like memego
>>
>>52472911
That looks like dog shit tbqh
>>
>>52472410
> Create a strict set of guidelines regarding minimal/recommended hardware specs for Android devices; similar to how Microsoft has for Windows devices
Why? Even the cheapest devices these days run Android and most apps flawlessly.
> Clean up the Play Store, and make a conscious effort to get rid of shovelware and copycat apps. I'm sick of 99% of search terms for any given thing being some garbage that Patel or Mudasir made while using a designated shitting street.
Or at least include a comprehensive search with all kinds of relevant filters, including by required permissions, and if it's free as in freedom.
Otherwise I'd perhaps create an Android +, or Gold or whatever subscription model, and for a monthly fee you get a curated Play Store that only features apps tested by Google, and you get to use a selection of apps for "free" each month, and maybe be elligable for discounts on all apps.
That way the Google Play store will look a bit more like the Apple App store.
> Give whomever (consumers/manufacturers) the ability to install and use stock Android ROMs on any device, or at least give consumers the ability to remove any and all bloatware with ease.
That's up to the manufacturers.
> Give developers an incentive to focus on Android development just as much as iOS development. This means giving them some type of incentive to push software updates faster, and optimize software better.
How are you going to do that exactly?
> Push major Android software updates at the same time, for all carriers, and as many devices as possible. Microsoft has no problem with this, and Apple has zero problem with this.
The sheer number of different Android devices is astronomical compared to iOS and Windows devices though and I don't think Google can force anyone to do anything really, if an OEM wants to drop support 1 year after the model is released who's to stop them.
>>
>>52472278
Make expandable storage force for any android device.
Release Project ARA
Make an advanced setting where you can enable and disable permisions for apps
Make all apps able to work without google apps
physical keyboards or pads
>>
>>52472655
They want you to buy the latest one.
>>
>>52473078
>Make an advanced setting where you can enable and disable permisions for apps

>physical keyboards

those already exist you niglet
>>
>>52472410
that's a great list of shit that'll never happen
>>
Riddle me this.

I work at a web app development Company. We use C#, .NET and AngularJS.

Teams of 20 people build complex and extensive applications for goverments and the private sector.

How the fuck do 100 engineers at google who earn 10x as much as our engineers shit out updates that change literally nothing except a few system animations after a year's work.

It boggles my mind.
>>
>>52475215
because they literally eat fast food and play vidya all day at google hq
>>
/g/ made me fall for the custom rom meme

>Look for custom roms for Samsung/Sony devices
>Nothing but buggy, unfinished or outdated shit
>PACBEAST 5.0.1 ROM [CURRYNIGGER EDITION] [ALPHA NIGHTLY]
>BROKEN WIFI, BROKEN CALLING, BROKEN BRIGHTNESS
>>
Whats wrong with stock android? No autism please.
>>
>>52473078
>Make expandable storage force for any android device.
Google has no control over manufacturers that distribute their OS and nor should they. If you want everyone to be the exact same then just go buy an iPhone you shitter.

>Release Project ARA
Yes, release something that's not done yet just to appease your autism and then have idiots like you bash it because it wasn't completed yet when things break

>Make an advanced setting where you can enable and disable permisions for apps
already possible

>Make all apps able to work without google apps
already possible

>physical keyboards or pads
already possible
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-17-13-07-21.png (180 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-17-13-07-21.png
180 KB, 1440x2560
I like my Androphone
>>
File: 1451178276374.png (33 KB, 917x1186) Image search: [Google]
1451178276374.png
33 KB, 917x1186
>>52472278
They really need to fix the battery life. My moto x 2014 can pull about 5 hours on Kitkat with screen at minimal brightness and just doing text based things.
Now on marshmallow, I only get 2.5-3 hours of use before I get below 10%.
The only way I can get even remotely close to the original battery life is with power saver on all the time.
>>
>>52475328
can confirm. neighbor and his wife work for google.
>>
>>52472278
Step 1: (if you haven't done this already): Get a new launcher. I use Nova Launcher just because of the ease of use. (I'm not terribly program savvy.)

Step 2: Configure EVERYTHING. I don't mean just the launching and UI, I mean get rid of applications that are no longer needed. This is mainly to reduce background clog in the phone.

Step 3: At this point I just organized files like music, pictures, etc. This was just for my own preference and really has no affect, but it is an important step to me when using a phone.

The phone i'm using is the Note5, which overall works pretty well.
>>
>>52473884
Bull fucking shit. There are no good physical keyboards. And no bb portrait slider bullshit is not a fucking worthwhile keyboard.
>>
>>52475591
If the physical keyboards are already possible then where the fuck are they?
>>
>>52475871
thats because physical keyboards by definition are not good.
>>
>>52475576
do you mean stock Android (OEM edits) or STOCK (pure, as on the Nexus phones) Android?

The pure android phones get updates significantly faster, but are quite limited in features. The camera and sound on stock android are quite bad, too.

stock OEM have significantly better battery life, improved cameras, more useful features, etc...

ROMs (which allow you to install pure android) exist, but they're crappy and offer more drawbacks than benefits.

Just root your stock (OEM) Android, remove the useless apps and install AdAway.
>>
>>52475907
Theyre possible but a terrible idea so no one makes them since no one buys them.
how is that an android limitation?
>>
>>52475967
>Just root your stock (OEM) Android, remove the useless apps and install AdAway.
Getting harder and harder to root, especially for carrier cucked models. I would happily buy unlocked models but Verizon is the only one with good coverage where I live. All the others either have no coverage or its so shitty that you lose service just walking into a building (looking at you AT&T).
>>
>>52472278
I pm'ed you the fix :+)
>>
>>52476337
it didn't get through
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.