[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any coding behaviors from your colleagues that make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: angry-programer-300x300.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
angry-programer-300x300.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
Is there any coding behaviors from your colleagues that make you angry?
>>
>>52470078
spaces for indentation

inconsistencies in their style or stupidly fucking complex styling where you have to read their whole program before you understand which style of commenting to use where, especially in C89 code
>>
>>52470078
Anytime they refer to it as "coding" or being "coders"
>>
>>52470219
Python actually recommend spaces in PEP-8
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#tabs-or-spaces
>>
>>52470078
Not really my colleagues but co-eds in university

>work on group project with three others
>poorly structured code
>no comments at all
>horrible use of libraries
>poorly designed classes and OOP approaches
>>
>>52470236
This, why can they not spell programmer correctly
>>
>>52470078
I have a colleague that insists on leaving a blank line between every 2 lines of code. He literally presses Enter twice after every line.

He once made a git commit that was literally nothing but inserting whitespace lines in all the existing code. Someone higher up later reverted that, adding the comment "removed unnecessary whitespace", I loled.
>>
>>52470239
>python recommends
Who gives a shit? A language that breaks because your whitespace is wrong is fucked up to start with.
>>
everything they write.

no OOP
code repetition
committing code once a week into source control
using legacy frameworks (ASP.NET 1.1)
never heard of MVC
they don't know what an API is
button1, button2, button3 for GUI applications
they don't know how to use the console, so everything needs a GUI
no unit tests, not even knowing what it is
no testing at all, it goes from developer computer straight into productions

The only reason I'm still with this company is I can browse 4chan almost all day and get a huge paycheck at the end of the month doing so.
>>
>>52470269
but the whitespace doesnt actually do anything does it?
its only autism that makes you angry at an easy to read code
>>
>>52470239
spaces are fucking retarded and there are no excuses for using them for anything other then alignment
>>
>>52470281
>no OOP

Wait... Do you mean you.. like OOP? OOP is the cause of all evil. FP will take over.
>>
>>52470299
That's the fuckin problem: it isn't fucking readable.

Barely anything fits on your screen and the entire visual structure of the code is gone. It's fucking retarded to write your code like that, and even more fucking annoying when the dickwad inserts blank lines into the code assigned to other people.
>>
>>52470281
>no unit tests, not even knowing what it is
It was only scratched on in one of my courses, do you have a nice starting point for it?
>>
>>52470078
I swear, there is not a single person in our company who cares about things like mixed tabs and spaces in the leading indentation, trailing whitespace, consistent line endings, consistent code style, any sort of readability or any sane maximum line length. Visual Studio does not encourage people to care about those things because it doesn't do things like showing whitespace by default or normalizing line endings on save, and they're just not things that normie programmers seem to care about. Also, C# is so fucking verbose that you can easy clear 200 characters on every other line if you don't care about that sort of thing.

They also don't care about descriptive commit messages, line length in the commit message or properly separating the title and body of the message. It drives me up the wall.
>>
Yeah. When they don't add comments on what the fuck they're actually trying to accomplish or describe what they're doing.
>>
>>52470354
I'm so sorry

I've just recently started Uni after programming by myself for the past four years and barely going near normie code (I was mainly writing in C with a text editor my friend and I wrote) and these fucking normies with their fucking notepad++ and vim on the uni servers pump out the most disgusting shit. Oh boy do I miss just working with my own code and libraries
It's like they don't give a shit it all, there's no consistency anywhere and why would they have any when the fucking lecturer has the most retarded and hard to follow styling which is inconsistent as fuck as well
>>
>>52470078
* a6f312f5 - Fixed mega super epic shitstorm bug 500 files changed, 9999 insertion, 8888 deletion
>>
>>52470281
this
>no comments
>no order of functions
>500 line behemoths
>direct copy paste from SO without understanding what it does
>100 outside library dependencies, half of which are not used, occupy space in unused functions
>>
>>52470078
not using comments while typing shitty variables like:
var1
var2
var3

I am already looking a way out of the company.
Or should I stay to have a safe job as a debugger?

Itis not like I call a girl to relieve my stress in her every weekend.
>>
>>52470432
Yeah, Uni code is even worse. I've seen programs with 20-ish global variables per file, programs where 50% of the code is in the main method, the most bizarre and error-prone data structures and pointer manipulation, and of course, pretty much everything has inconsistent whitespace and code style. You even see that shit from most third year students, and almost no one knows how to use Git or any other VCS.

I wish they had a course, or at least part of a course, that focused on code style and readability. I feel like you can get through a whole CS degree without learning that the ends don't justify the means when it comes to writing code and you actually have to do more than just write good comments to make your code readable. The only times I remember lecturers talking about code style is when they're a OOP or structured programming weenie and they're trying to push their religion on you, explaining that conditionals are evil, or continue, break and early return statements are evil (the phrase "as bad as goto" is often used.)
>>
>>52470078
function functionName()
{
//code
}

if ( something ) doSomething();
>>
>>52470219
>>52470236
>>52470250
>>52470264
>>52470279
>>52470281
>>52470300
>>52470476
>>52470534
these

Also, nobody at university or school can develop software, no exception.
Those who think are the worst wannabe smart skiddos that break stuff when it matters.
What's worse, even lecturers are shit, well most of them anyway.

Also:

>Hey anons, in this project we create a node/mongoloid based web epp; I suggest you use Sublime, an editor whose creator apparently died so it's endless beta or two browser based editor that are known to be pieces of shit.
>Also, I have this wacky idea that is borderline retarded, have fun creating.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.