[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intel's new 'compute stick' can get hot enough
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6
File: Thermal-Top.jpg (367 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Thermal-Top.jpg
367 KB, 640x480
Intel's new 'compute stick' can get hot enough to burn you if you touch it.

Just thought you ought to know.
>>
>>52469142
Thank you anon. It's nice someone cares about my safety.
>>
'Computing pendrives'

This is the new meme, and everyone hates it
>>
>>52469142

65 degrees doesn't give you a burn though, it needs to be 100 degrees
>>
>>52469166
does this mean the "single board computer" meme is finally kill?
>>
>>52469177
But muh sensitive skin
>>
>>52469177
55C is enough to burn skin anon

>>52469192
It isn't kill, just evole.
>>
>>52469177
This depends on the thermal conductivity of the material. It is possible to touch materials at over 1000 C if they are extremely good insulators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp9Yax8UNoM

Conversely, if it is a very good thermal conductor, you can get burned at just 40-50 C.
>>
Oh, that means it's really powerful.

I really ought to buy one.
>>
>>52469142

Well that's great information to know.

I'll just have to make sure I don't go touching my Intel Compute Stick while I'm using it for some fucking reason.

Did you also know your car's engine can get hot enough to burn you if you touch it?

Just thought you ought to know.
>>
>>52469666
>Did you also know your car's engine can get hot enough to burn you if you touch it?

Oh, that means it's really powerful.

I really ought to buy one.
>>
Looks like the same temperature as a Macbook.
>>
File: ccccccc.jpg (18 KB, 335x413) Image search: [Google]
ccccccc.jpg
18 KB, 335x413
>>52469682
oi cunt don't steal me meme
>>
>>52469685
that means it's really powerful, i should probably purchase one
>>
>>52469631
That was actually pretty cool. Thanks anon!
>>
>>52469744
>That was actually pretty cool. Thanks anon!
>cool

then it's probably shit. We shouldn't invest our money into that
>>
But isnt the point of these to stick them in the back and forget about them?
>>
>>52469142
What's the tool/site that creates these fake images? Or do you do it by hand?
>>
>>52469177
Do you think that burn is when water evaporates from you or somnething? Because if you think so, you're wrong.
>>
File: 1438717177629.png (719 KB, 3036x1900) Image search: [Google]
1438717177629.png
719 KB, 3036x1900
why exactly would you touch it when you're using it

do you randomly open up your PC's case, umount the fan and finger your CPU too?
>>
Is this the 2nd generation or the 1st?

Why did you get the 1st generation, if so?

I would wait for the 2nd generation of the stick or even for the new Cedar City stick which will have way better specs. They'll probably improve cooling too.

Still, it's a functional PC for 100 bucks, and you get the Windows license included. It's dirt cheap, considering it's made by Intel and not the chink version. The chink version doesn't even have cooling. The intel version has a small fan inside the stick.
>>
>>52469142
I'll still buy one and then make a custom heatsink for it with aluminum to avoid overheating.
It should be pretty good for emulating games and using as a mini server or maybe even for hosting games since the newer atoms are very good.
>>
>>52469768
http://anandtech.com/show/9939/the-intel-compute-stick-cherry-trail-review/5

cuntface

>>52469806
>>52469666
It's the outside of the case that gets hot. Internal parts are hotter, which alone is normal and acceptable. If your desktop case or your dashboard got that hot, you'd have a problem.
>>
Can't wait to buy one so I can use it was a low power file/mumble server
>>
>>52470082
Hm, so the 2nd gen came out.

I would still wait for Cedar city. That will probably cost more, though, because the specs are much better.

Btw, I think this one can be powered only via the hdmi cable now, right? No need to keep it plugged into a power source anymore.
>>
>>52469984
Pretending or literally a shill?
>>
>>52469142
65 is how hot the component under the grill actually is. You cannot touch it until you remove the casing.
>>
File: IMG_20151219_124558~01.jpg (990 KB, 3089x2140) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151219_124558~01.jpg
990 KB, 3089x2140
>>52470130
Neither, I would actually do that
You're on /g/, why can't you mod some simple hardware to be cooler?
I mod my hardware all the time, right now I'm planning on sticking some 0.1W LEDs in my case to make it look cool. Heatsink isn't a big deal m8, it's literally a block of metal with a fan, or maybe even water cooled
>>
Man, I can't wait for the Core M models.
Those will be lil beasts. Can you imagine an actually functional PC with Core M cpu that you can carry in your pocket?
That's basically a notebook CPU. The cooling does seem problematic though. With so much computing power crammed into such a small footprint, I wonder how they will cool down a Core M on the small thing.
>>
>>52470119
Doubt it, it's more power-hungry than the previous one.
>>
File: Thermal-Bottom.jpg (318 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Thermal-Bottom.jpg
318 KB, 640x480
>>52470138
>>
>>52470205
What advantage would that have over a smartphone that can do the same thing, e.g. Lumia 950
>>
>>52470237
It would have Intel Inside(tm)

Seriously, the core m being put in notebooks by apple does not mean it's fair to call it a notebook CPU.
>>
>>52470082
gee, could it be because the chip is a few milimetres away from the case, and the whole thing is barely bigger than a pendrive?
>>
>>52470273
>there is a scientific explanation for this happening
>therefore it is ok
>>
if they had this as some sort of dock rather than sticking it directly into the monitor I feel it would work better. Said dock could have all the inputs and outputs that way you could simply swap out the drives to different ones or use them in parallel even.
>>
>>52470285
this post-ironic stuff is too much for me
>>
Well it seems the Wifi and the GPU have improved significantly. It has HEVC support now even.

You shouldn't expect much for something priced at 159 bucks, though. You get what you paid for.

Maybe that's less clear on the basic Cherry trail model. But check out the Core M models, priced from 300 bucks up to 500 bucks. It's already NUC territory. At that price point, you'd be hard-pressed to justify buying this, when a NUC is much better for the same price. The only advantage would be the smaller footprint, but what you gain by that is much less significant, compared to how much you lose in computing power, imo.

So probably, the cheaper model is the only one with a real use case for home users. The higher priced ones only make sense for businesses, the price/performance is just not competitive compared to NUCs.
>>
>>52470724
not using old 771 xeons, or new amd apus or fx
or if you are a retared freedom fuck opteron
>>
>>52470082
>It's the outside of the case that gets hot. Internal parts are hotter, which alone is normal and acceptable. If your desktop case or your dashboard got that hot, you'd have a problem.

My desktop case is not mere millimeters away from my processor and used for dissipating heat.
The outside of the compute stick IS millimeters away from my processor, and IS used for dissipating heat.
The dashboard of my car is far away from the heat generating part, as it's meant to be interacted with and touched while my car is in use.
The outside of the compute stick is CLOSE to the heat generating part, and is not meant to be interacted with and touched while the computer is in use.

It's not fucking rocket surgery, anon. It's hot because it's being used as a heat dissipating surface for the processor. It's being used as a heat dissipating surface for the processor, because Intel doesn't expect you to grab the motherfucker while you're in the middle of using it, the same way Toyota doesn't expect you to just slap the side of your face up against the engine block after getting off the highway.
Seriously. What reason do you have to touching something in the back of your TV/Monitor while you're using it?
>>
Fucking Microsoft.. It seems Intel wanted to put 64GB and 4GB ram in these things, but Microsoft refused to give them a license for Win10 that would still fit into their pricing point.
>>
>>52471062
>"The eMMC capacity is only 32GB and the RAM is only 2GB - two aspects that have an artificial limitation imposed on them by Intel's decision to pre-install Windows 10 Home. Even though the information is not public, it is likely that Microsoft mandates neutering of a PC's hardware specifications in exchange for a lower price for the Windows 10 OEM license."

kek
>>
>>52470833
>still acting as if a scientific explanation excuses it
>>
>>52469642
No because AMD chips get hotter than this, and they suck
>>
>>52470273
>pendrive
stop saying that shit, you're embarrassing us
>>
>>52470273
>bendrive :-D
>>
>>52469142
So can your GPU and CPU. But you're not stupid enough to touch those bare lid when they're running, are you?
>>
>>52471825
Internal and external. Learn the fucking difference.
>>
>>52471062
Wonder if Microsoft's licensing stipulation was to put less RAM in the Linux version of the Compute Stick.
>>
Can someone brief me in on this meme? What's the target consumer base for it, business men who forgot to take their chinkpad on a delegation?
>>
I have one of those Android-on-a-sticks and it only gets warm at most. Then again, it's running a low power SoC. And cost $50 Canadian. But it can still play 1080p video and emulate shit, which is probably what anyone would want to do with these things anyway.
>>
>>52472968
I assume that was done by Intel because Linux is known to be able to run on fewer resources than Windows.

So, if they saw an opportunity to cut costs and sell an even cheaper version with Linux, they took it.

But anyway, now you can get one of these sticks with no pre-installed OS from the Core M models, even though, they cost a lot more, because of 4GB RAM, Core M cpu and 64GB storage. The prices are kind of edging too close to NUCs to be worth it, though.

I think at this point, still the cheapest Atom-based stick makes sense for most users. The Core M ones cost too much to justify not getting something better for the price. Maybe for businesses.
>>
>>52473094
My folks use an old laptop as their daily driver. We're talking about an 11 year old laptop with not even 1GB of RAM.

I think this stick might be enough for them. They're just browsing the web, playing card games and maybe watching some video on the web. For 150 bucks it's a steal. And they could use it on the TV or any hdmi monitor.

It makes a lot of sense for basic computing needs that don't need to take much space in your living room or office.
>>
>>52473371
This is actually overpriced if you compare it to some tablets that are coming out that run Windows 10.
>>
>>52473420
I don't see my folks using a tablet. They still need a PC, but I don't think a NUC is justitied either for what they use it for. Just daily web browsing, solitaire games etc. This stick should be more than enough for them. I mean the 150 $ model.
>>
File: usb_fan_light_01-533x400.jpg (36 KB, 533x400) Image search: [Google]
usb_fan_light_01-533x400.jpg
36 KB, 533x400
>>52469142
Problem solved amirite?
>>
>>52474052
How much sense does it make to pair one of these with a power bank? The next summer isn't far off any more, and that shitty old factory I work at gets hot as fuck in summer.
>>
>>52470082
>If your dashboard got that hot, you'd have a problem.

Clearly you've never driven a rotary. The cabin is always fucking hot
>>
>>52470833
Why can't you grasp that it's not acceptable for something that's meant to be touched to get this hot? The only purpose of having a computer in this form factor is for portability reasons, but it's not terribly portable if it burns you when you need to unplug it.
>>
>>52474464
Why not just get an actual fan
>>
>>52474682
No outlets. Most things are pneumatic there.
>>
>>52469142
I don't intend to touch it while using it.
>>
>>52470189
Thanks for the XP product key!
>>
Is that heat overlay shifted upwards?
>>
>>52469631
>>52469177
This is true. One of my profs told us that humans don't feel temperature, they feel heat transfer. Imagine you have a piece of wood, and a piece of copper, both of them in a fridge at 5C.
After waiting for them to both cool down to the same temp, you grab both. Which feels colder, the wood or the copper? Obviously the copper right? But they're both at 5C!
It's because copper has a higher thermal conductivity than the wood, the heat from your skin is drawn into the copper faster than it is into the wood.
>>
>>52466447
please give >>52475905
/g/ - /sci/ lite
>>
>>52474662

...The purpose of having a computer in that form factor is to not have a box, big or small, connected to your TV/Monitor. If it was meant to be portable, it'd have a screen and battery (and input method like a touch sensor on the screen). And we call those Tablets/Laptops. THOSE are for portability. This is meant to sit behind your TV and turn your TV into a computer. It's meant to plug into the back of a monitor and turn it into an "All-In-One" PC. It's design is for minimalism. Not portability. Like, would you seriously buy one of these to bring around? For what ungodly purpose? Seriously. I cannot think of a reason why you would bring this places. You'd still have to lug around a wireless keyboard/mouse, and power supply/cable. It still completely defeats its own purpose if portability is it's goal. A fucking $100 tablet not only has a screen, battery, and input method, but if you want to plug it up to someone else's TV, you fucking can with a $5 cable. So you carry a table, and a cable. Versus a whole keyboard and other shit. Your autism is off the scale, holy fuck.
>>
>>52470833
>My desktop case is not mere millimeters away from my processor
Well, technically it is. When you think about it.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.