[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything wrong with using Windows XP today?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
Is there anything wrong with using Windows XP today?
>>
Not if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>52468903
Oh, okay.

I was installing tons of crap and got a lot of viruses when I first got my computer, but over the years, I've learned.

Been using my current install since 2010, by the way.
>>
It isn't a problem if you don't ever get on the internet.

Why not use something like ubuntu?
>>
>>52469081
Crashes at install.

Lubuntu installs successfully, but it runs slower than XP.

I've tried both with Wubi, if that matters.
>>
>Is there anything wrong with using Windows * today?
Everything

>but muh games
>>>/v/eddit
>>
a)why the fuck would you want to anyway
b)no security
>>
>>52469104
>no security
POSReady 2009 is a thing
>>
>>52469096
Then what about debian?
Being the grandpa of ubuntu it normally gives absolutely no issues on older devices.

I've installed it on my father's ancient PC because he couldn't get wifi working on XP (if you discount the nefarious security of windowsXP)
>>
>>52469101
I haven't played games in years, anon. I just need something simple to store my files in.

>>52469104
Windows 7 and above crash midway during the install. Linux is unnecessarily complicated for my needs, but I might give it a try for real soon.

Can I run Photoshop and Lightroom on Linux?

>>52469155
Debian netinst is okay, right? Also, what window manager/DE should I use? Preferably something light and similar to the XP layout.
>>
>>52469237
>Linux is unnecessarily complicated
Windows is far more complicated than linux imo
>>
>>52469251
nah imo desu senpai xd
>>
>>52469251
I did say for my needs..

I just need to be able to connect my camera, phone, and flash drives and edit my photos.
>>
>>52469314
if you can take gimp instead of photoshop id use linux
>>
>>52469314
Camera: Yep
Phone: Depends on the kind
Flash drives: definitely, SpaceFM automounts them. Not sure about the others
Photoedit: GIMP does that but you can use Wine. Photoshop CS6 is "Platinum" on their site https://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17
>>
i'd still be using it, but the only thing i use windows for these days is solidworks, and sw2014+ doesn't support XP anymore, so i'm stuck with 7
>>
>>52468885

Only if you keep it off the internet.

Seriously, don't fall for the meme that "Common Sense 2016" will protect you alone. That's one dumb mistake that is board is retarded enough to parrot.

XP is riddled with security vulnerabilities and you'll be regretting using it when you get a cryptolocker (your files encrypted and demanded for random money).

If you need a cheap daily driver for something to connect to the wifi with, grab an old Chromebook for <100 (£, $, euro). Hell, you could even use the Chromebook for all of that. I did when I was broke.
>>
>>52469459
*that this board
>>
Yes, Microsoft no longer supports it and therefore there are security vulnerabilities that won't ever get fixed. Not to mention that modern, objectively better frameworks and APIs are not supported, like DirectX 10+, .NET 4.5+, 64-bit programs and so on.
>>
its fine as long as you know what you're doing and do this
http://www.zdnet.com/article/registry-hack-enables-continued-updates-for-windows-xp/
>>
>>52469700
Bad idea. Enjoy security vulnerabilities http://www.zdnet.com/article/hacked-windows-xp-still-updates-still-a-bad-idea/
>>
>>52469758
still better then not installing them
>>
>>52469809
Placebo. Don't do it, friend.
>>
Why use XP, even if you "hack" it to get the POSReady 2009 updates, when you can just use POSReady 2009? I mean sure maybe Microsoft is just saying the updates won't work for XP but why a) go through the effort of modding XP for this and b) still not even sure if you're truly successful when you can just not reinvent the wheel and install POSReady 2009
>>
>>52469758

Exactly as I was thinking when I was reading that.

POSReady is supposed to be bare bones but XP is full of features that won't be updated or protected because they don't exist in POSReady.

>>52469809

So what?

You still have an OS that is full of cheese holes. Likely those POSReady updates don't even cover 10% of vulnerabilities of XP.
>>
for desktop: yes. You can get the same results with ubuntu-mate or lubuntu.
for embedded: yes Rewriting it to work on bsd or linux is worth it.
for servers: Microsoft was the company that made the distinction between servers and clients and essentially gimped the desktop computers so why use XP for a server? clearly a madman.
>>
if your tech is from 2000-2007 No
>>
>>52469081
If you are behind a router with a firewall configured to drop unsolicited packets and have a brain so you don't actively lead to an infection, there's not that much to worry about.
>>
>>52469137
Read about the differences between XP Pro and XP PoS Ready 2009 and learn that any new update could break your system if it happens to address some components that are very different between the two.
>>
>>52468885
Yes, Everything. Literally everything.

It is a steaming pile of unoptomized, out of date shit. Lord knows how fucking zero days it's susceptible to now. It assumes everything has to run as admin, it has no memory mitigations besides DEP, it has no sandboxing/process isolation capabilities, it doesn't even know what to do with fucking SSDs and its multicore support is practically nonexistent. And have fun with the 64-bit driver support since the entire OS is a hackneyed shit fuck of a consumer OS and server environment.

You're literally poor and/or literally retarded to still be using Windows XP in this day and age.
>>
>>52469459
>"£, $, euro"
>"GBP first, then our yank friend's from accross the pond currency, yurocucks last (we gunna brexit anywayz lul)"

Spotted the britbong.
>>
>>52471830
>firewall configured to drop unsolicited packets
>what are drive-by attacks
>what are zero days
>>
File: OS_Market_Share_May_2014_Wide.png (34 KB, 789x445) Image search: [Google]
OS_Market_Share_May_2014_Wide.png
34 KB, 789x445
No, especially considering that a large portion of the general public still use it more than 8, 8.1, and 10.
>>
File: untitled545345.png (31 KB, 927x487) Image search: [Google]
untitled545345.png
31 KB, 927x487
>>52471858
>It is a steaming pile of unoptomized, out of date shit

Lol. NT5 (2k, XP, 2k3) was the last line of MS OSes which was done by people who knew what the fuck they were doing. Enjoy your "modern and current" clusterfuck slapped together by a bunch of idiot "designers" and their poo-in-loo code monkeys.

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14363&sid=b7432676fcf3b62bc70e451d547a43cd&start=15#p116985
>The Microsoft which created NT 5.x and the Microsoft which turned it into NT 6.x are in fact not the same companies. While the brand has retained, none of the key people are still there, and the goals are entirely different. NT 5.x was made by software engineers. NT 6.x in most of its part was fabricated by CEOs and marketers.
>>
>>52471909
>new vulnerability gets discovered
>evil hackers magically target me specifically
>evil hackers magically know some vulnerable code is running on my machine
>evil hackers magically intrude so as to be able to exploit it

ok
>>
>>52471953
if this is desktop only, why is "other" that high?
There is some bsd users but is the rest chromeOS or is it just people they couldn't tell?
I doubt that BSD is more popular than linux
>>
>>52471953
>Other: 3.66%

Wtf is "other" (assuming the chart is just x86-compatibles)? 3.7% use *BSD, Plan9 and Windows98SE?
>>
Lel, you (>>52472124) beat me (>>52472144) to it by just a minute.
>>
>>52469314
but dude, first you said "I just need something simple to store my files in", then you ask "Can I run Photoshop and Lightroom on Linux?".
stay with windows XP or afford a new PC, your options are very limited, with debian you will be bitching about how it sucks because it doesnt have the software you need.
>>
>>52471858
This. The first really good 0day that comes along will own a lot of cheap machines in 3rd world and bizarre hipster refuseniks like this, and turn it into one hell of a shitty-ass botnet. (Assuming someone like GCHQ haven't already done it, the absolute madmen.)

And I don't mean a "muh botnet" meme like some of the fools here say, I mean an actual, literal, botnet: DDoS, ransomware, account stealing, spyware, the kind of thing that absolutely shits up not just your machine, but the internet it's connected to.

Fucking stop running XP, you tard.
>>
File: 6cc.gif (946 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
6cc.gif
946 KB, 500x300
>>52469237
Try Xfce or Icewm. Not 100% Windows-like, but pretty close. Also they are pretty light on resources.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.