[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everybody hate on Gnome?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8
Why does everybody hate on Gnome?
>>
>>52468012
they have lots of ugly and bad ideas

also gnome-screensaver, which is the platonic ideal of not-invented-here syndrome
>>
>>52468021
Could you give me an example of a few?

I personally am not a fan of the new color of the shell. I preferred the old black one, but it's not worth switching for.
I also hate the little menu thing that the arrow is pointing to.
>>
>4051/7866 ram
AHAHAHAHAAHA GNOME KEKS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>52468012
I don't. It's pretty and usable as fuck, IMO.
>>52468114
>I personally am not a fan of the new color of the shell.
You can easily change that shit.
>I also hate the little menu thing that the arrow is pointing to.
It's pretty useless, I'll give you that, but hate? You don't even see it 99% of the time
>>
But I don't
>>
>>52468012

GNOME is a really nice DE if setup well.
>>
I don't, GNOME is the best DE
>>
>>52468516
you mind sharing some details on your setup? extensions, themes, etc?
>>
>>52469977
arc theme + firefox addon
numix icon theme
cantarell font
dynamic top bar
simple dock
shelltile
top panel workspace scroll
>>
>>52470014
looks great. many thanks!
>>
I don't, it is the best DE.

I'm using open source drivers and Wayland for now and I love it.
>>
>>52470047
>>
>>52468012
Because developers decided that they know how you use your computer better than you do. When complaints were launched about options removed in G3 versus gnome 2.3/2.6 the devs were often dismissive, rude, closed out the requests or berated the userbase.

It changes the user interface to try and create a new paradigm and brand identity, but never stopped to asked whether or not is actually needed to re-invent the product and its interface.

Its not wholly bad, I know lots of people that love gnome 3. BUT I've been using the approximate same interface since 1995. There was no reason to force a change on how I would interact with the computer.
>>
Because it's almost like Windows 8 UI. I mean moving mouse cursor to the corners of the screen.
>>
Using Gnome while using the most minimalistic UI styles is like buying the beefiest BMW only because it has average to less than average fuel consumption
>>
It just feels like a tactile experience and I'm on a pc
>>
>>52468012
I use GNOME, but I think it's just okay.
I'd really be more happy with it if they'd thought to give anyone any options at all.
>>
>>52468012
I don't. I'm using it right now.
>>
File: robot7.png (285 KB, 854x470) Image search: [Google]
robot7.png
285 KB, 854x470
>>
File: 7PRtdU1.png (469 KB, 492x611) Image search: [Google]
7PRtdU1.png
469 KB, 492x611
>linux at home
>2016
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-01-17_09-51-40.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-01-17_09-51-40.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
I don't either
>>
>>52468114
> also hate the little menu thing that the arrow is pointing to.
You can get rid of that with an extension, my negro. Can't remember the name though, sorry.
>>
>>52468012
I love Gnome but I accept that Gnome users are a minority on this board plauged with ricers and kissless gaymergayte jihadists. Don't become influenced by them, they've memed themselves into normiedom and don't even realize it.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.