[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is my battery life so shitty with Xubuntu? I had around 7:50h
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Download.jpg (7 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
Download.jpg
7 KB, 224x225
Why is my battery life so shitty with Xubuntu?
I had around 7:50h with Windows and now I'm down to 3:40h.
I understand -20%, but -50%?!

I didn't make many alterations to the OS, so it's basically stock.
Any better distributions for battery life?
>>
I hear you OP. It's terrible. I'm going to refrain from putting any Linux distros on my new laptop when I get one. This old one was laggy and decided to try out Xubuntu and I immediately noticed the drop in battery life.
>>
>>52467394

you know that doesnt make any sense?
as xfce is one of the most lightweight dm there is
anyway you may want to look into analyzing running processes etc. maybe deactivate some stuff etc
>>
>>52467394
under arch I get better battery life than using Windows 8/10

I have an acer aspire R11

I get around 9 hours on there whereas windows gave me about 7
>>
>>52467394
>Why is my battery life so shitty with [Gnu/linux distro]
No video acceleration
>>
>>52467460

dis

and read the wiki about buyng gude for linux laptops.
the problems are mostly poor drivers
(therefor no video acceleration etc.)
>>
>>52467394
you can try lubuntu

it ran cooler than xubuntu when I tried it.

also, search for tips how to make it even more efficient (like dim/off the screen when not used, etc)
>>
Install tlp
>>
>>52467484
OP here, my laptop doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card since I wouldn't need it.
>>
>>52467587

look man i cant wipe your ass

just go on google, put your laptop brand and the word "linux" in it and look what you find

poke around

it s almost certain some faggot had the same problem as you.

then when you found the solution to your problem and decided its too omplcated to apply and are half on the way back to windows just open up google again and look for: "how not to be a fag"
>find out you are actually a fag
>try not to cry
>cry a lot
>>
>>52467587
You know integrated graphics can be used for hardware acceleration too, right? Intel uses vaapi for x264 and ddx or glamor for x server rendering. It doesn't account for 3 hours of battery life, but you can easily sort it out with some power scripts via upower rules and tlp, e.g. spin down disks, lower brightness via dpms, cap performance and send modules to sleep or power saving mode.
>>
T L P
L
P
>>
>Thinkpad L450 with AMD graphics card
Linux battery will be similar to Windows? I run lightweight stuff (will be kubuntu (or someshit) with i3wm)
>>
sudo apt-get install tlp
>>
>>52468002
>nesting paranthesis
>>
>gtards spouting about how Linux is superior to Windows. Threads about why mah leenux isn't better den windows
>>
Use TLP

don't forget to read the section about frequency scaling
http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-configuration.html#scaling
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.