[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the benefit of buying the best speakers, computer,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: HIGHQUALITY.jpg (132 KB, 1307x646) Image search: [Google]
HIGHQUALITY.jpg
132 KB, 1307x646
What's the benefit of buying the best speakers, computer, headphones, etc.

Will I feel any better, wilL I truly get better audio?

Also, what's the best camera. Is the D5500 truly the best?
>>
>>52466883
Shit will sound better.

The best?
Not a big benefit.
But spending at least 300 or so on some bookshelves?
Plenty.
1000-2000 is where is starts getting hard to notice improvements for stereo systems.
>>
It's a one way road. Once you get into high end audio, generic shit will start sounding shittier and shittier.
>>
>>52466916
>>52466924
which ones do u reocmmend?

Is the KRK VXT8 truly the best?
>>
>>52467186
I've got JBL 530s, they're nice.
There is a pair of JBL powered monitors that everyone likes also, forget the exact name.
>>
>>52467193
JBL LSR305
>>
>>52467279
Yup, that's it.
Those are probably a solid choice a beginner, as long as you don't need to fill a large room with sound.
>>
There's a limit, the really high end stuff does sound good, but not so much that it is worth it for a regular user. I have sennheiser 650's and a fiio e9 heaphone amp and it sounds really good, but that's my limit, even that is pretty damn expensive.

>>52466924 has it right. I had other decent headphones before and my current setup was an improvement on that, but not really amazing. But now if I listen to anything on my older headphones, orany sort of cheap headphone it sounds like total shit, whereas before i thought it was fine.
>>
>>52467186
VXT8's are probably the best mid-tier monitors for the price. Not that it matters, nobody here without a treated room should be buying 1k worth of speakers. The monitors genelec offers are much better for higher end.
>>
a6000 > D5500
>>
"high-end" speakers and headphones are usually sub-par to terrible, more often than not.

unlike the rest of the technology types you see on /g/, audio's been running in place for decades. price is only roughly, roughly correlated with sound quality.

this is allowed, for some reason, because products are measured against *other audio products*, instead of human perception. audio products don't need to function optimally so long as none of the competing products do either. it's an industry that's cultivated branding and visual style as the only distinguishing factors.

the common specs seen on audio packaging mean fuck all. THD has no correlation with how people hear distortion. most headphones ignore all human perception data discovered since the late '70s. nearly all speakers are designed for only a single listener, are based on the assumption that they'll live in rooms with imaginary non-reflective walls, and none of these caveats are directly disclosed in marketing or reviews.

it's stupid rare to find designs that run at these problems head-on, which is exactly why you see the JBL LSR305 recommended so often; it has practical solutions to a good deal of problems the other (much(much)) more expensive designs ignore.

conversely, the Koss KSC-75s are considered great because they fail in the same ways most $200+ headphones do, albeit costing only $15. if you must choose from a sea of dinosaurs, at least grab the pair that acknowledges it came from 1981.

audio life is tuff life.
>>
>>52466883
>Also, what's the best camera. Is the D5500 truly the best?
best for what? there is no such thing as a best camera for everything. you might want something compact, budget-conscious, fast-shooting with long range, or with high-quality imaging, but not all at once.
>>
There is none if you have mean neighbors that don't appreciate Art.
>>
>>52466883
>Will I feel any better, wilL I truly get better audio?
I come from a very musically inclined family and I find it almost physically painful to listen to bad speakers / headphones.

Not that I go to the crazy audiophile level or gear, but I've got a pretty decent setup
>>
Probably pleb-tier but I use Microlab Solo 6c's through an FiiO E10k.

Came from on board and logicrap x540. Difference was night and day. Especially when I started using my Grado 80i and Akg k550 though the fiio too.

Probably upgrade my speakers once I get my new apartment sorted.
>>
>>52466883
Also depends on your source too.

Pointless spending even 100 shekels on new speakers/cans if you're coming from on board audio on a shitty motherboard/laptop.
>>
I used to live in the slums above a Muslim family and they hated when i played any kind of music from 2.1 speakers or fucked my ex gf. It was hell, and they kept putting notices on my door that they were going to call the cops. I even had a game going with my ex that she would say "no" over and over while i was fucking. I guess it sounded like rape was going on constantly and bad meme music during the day.
>>
>>52471414
In that situation, what would you suggest?
I'm not sure exactly how bad my MoBo's DAC is anyway.
If I'm getting a low-end setup, would you recommend getting a cheap DAC and active spearkers, or a cheap DAC, amp, and passive speakers?
>>
JBL LSR305 is a solid value even compared to more expensive headphones. Don't get shitty brands like KRK, Audioengine or Logitech.
>>
>>52471524
I thought KRK were pretty good for the money? I mean I'm not stupid enough to believe they're as sht as Logitech and similar brands.
>>
>>52471484
Depends on the age of your mobo. General word is that anything from 2013 sort of time onwards is okay for a low cost setup.

Though these days with the stuff that FiiO is putting out its not expensive to get low footprint good quality kit for little money.
>>
>>52471553
rokits (except for the first gen) are pretty bad and the VXT series are ok-ish but priced in a segment where they're completely outperformed by amazing speakers like the KH120
>>
>>52466883
There's a massive difference between crap and good audio, and placebo level difference between the good and the best.

Get yourself a proper sound source (10$ discrete soundcard or DAC) and proper headphones, it will be GOOD.
>>
>>52471484
Motherboard DAC and powered speakers. He's trying to meme you, unless you can hear your mouse movements or can trace high hiss or distortion specifically to the DAC, there's no reason to consider a separate DAC.

>>52471553
KRK is better than say, Audioengine in terms of build quality. But the LSR305 represents design innovations that are pretty new to the entry level speaker market. They are ridiculously good for $250/pair.
>>
File: intubated.png (33 KB, 625x486) Image search: [Google]
intubated.png
33 KB, 625x486
>>52466883
It will make you feel content and fulfilled until you post about your purchase in some thread and anon responds with

>he fell for the [insert product here] meme
>>
>>52471638
>you can hear your mouse movements
Not that guy, but I can hear my mouse movements when I play guitar through a DI into my mic jack.
>>
>>52471878
Then you need a proper recording interface.
>>
>>52471604
>>52471638
Ahh right. Well between these two answers I figure I'll be fine with a pair of powered speakers.
For the past year I've been on a pair of £5 polaroid speakers which are totally abyssmal. I want to get a pair of bookshelf speakers but I'm on a student budget which is why I'm asking.
>>
>>52467621
>real viewfinder
you're wrong

wait
why is this posted there
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.