[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just installed Arch Linux and I'm stuck with what to choose
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: yeah.gif (124 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
yeah.gif
124 KB, 500x400
Just installed Arch Linux and I'm stuck with what to choose for my desktop. Should I go with a DE or a WM?
>>
Why not both?
>>
The whole point is that YOU get to choose.
>>
install the thing

if you dont like the thing, install other thing
>>
>>52466855
Install lxde, get the numix gtk theme
>>
>>52466935
This
You dont need anything else
>>
DEs are useless. I wouldn't even install a WM if it wasn't necessary to make X halfway functional with graphical applications.
>>
openbox+tint2 is very comfy
i3 is second-most comfy

I use i3 on my ThinkPad hooked to a TV like an HTPC, and I use openbox on my desktop and main laptop. I suggest trying both.
>>
File: 1341157111103.gif (1017 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1341157111103.gif
1017 KB, 480x270
>>52466855
Openbox.

Go for a minimalistic approach. It looks hella ugly out of the box, but you can tweak it a lot.

tint2 for bar
Albert as a launcher
>>
>>52466855
If you need to get shit fine, GNOME or cinnamon for a less powerful pc
>>
>>52466998
>openbox+tint2 is very comfy
This. Comfy as fuck. Get conky too.
>>
>>52467027
Is that bread fella okay?
>>
>>52467806
He's dead, anon.
>>
>>52466855
Install Windows
>>
>>52467822
Damn
>>
>>52467027
Is this Mion? What is the source of this acid trip?
>>
File: 1341923279976.gif (578 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1341923279976.gif
578 KB, 480x270
>>52467877
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

Very underrated, very good. Has a lot of political satire.
>>
>>52466998
>I use i3 on my ThinkPad hooked to a TV like an HTPC
isn't it weird using i3 for a htpc?
i use i3 on all my machines, but idk if i'd use it for a htpc
>>
>>52467916
Using a wm is actually really good for a htpc setup.
I find it very easy to define how applications start and how they should behave in a wm.
Also less resources are needed.
>>
>>52466855
Use Window Maker
>>
>>52467487
how the fuck did you get conky to work. it's just flickering with my setup (openbox+tint2) and yes i have read the wiki
>>52466855
openbox+tint2+conky
there is nothing more comfy
>>
>>52469227
just install bunsenlabs, it will save you the hassle
>>
File: bunsen.png (11 KB, 487x310) Image search: [Google]
bunsen.png
11 KB, 487x310
>>52469732
This. I realized I couldve installed debian and set everything by myself or just install bunsen and get rid of annoying "features" on it (bl-lock im looking at you)
>>
>inb4 /g/ fucks up another innocent person's life by telling them to install Arch and swearing to every god they know that the distro won't break in 1 month from now

literally kek evry tim
>>
>>52469227
>how the fuck did you get conky to work
>in the very SAME POST recommends conky

Archfags, everyone
>>
There is no difference.
It is a meme /g/ came up with to try to waste peoples time.
People who claim to run WM only ends up installing other tools anyway because drawing a window is rarely enough to use their computer.
>>
>>52471868
>using GUI tools to run anything other than a web browser

P L E B
L
E
B
>>
>>52471907
If you replace all tools a DE provides with CLI tools, you still have a DE, even if it is a shitty one.
And if you run everything through CLI, why even run a window manager? Why not boot directly to emacs?
>>
>>52471975
because I use VIM faggot
>>
But DE already includes a WM...
I think you mean self-assembled DE.
I personally have such setup. No preset would satisfy my needs. I'm using compiz, awn and a bunch of stuff fm gnome, kde, lxde and xfce.
>>
>>52472018
>But DE already includes a WM
1. You can use a WM without a DE
2. DE's come with "builtin" WM's, but you can replace it, for example you can use the OpenBox WM with the Gnome and KDE DE's.

tl;dr: stop talking shit
>>
>>52472053
You seem pretty stupid.
A desktop environment is a composition of programs. One can use a pre-made such composition (often co-developed), or assemble one him/herself. The fact one doesn't use such preset does not mean he doesn't have a composition called commonly a desktop environment. While you could have only X and a WM (or a wayland compositor), that alone wouldn't be very useful.
I know this is what you mean and you'll probably call me autistic, but I very mu dislike when people use the langue in a sloppy, improper manner.

Also, there's no such thing as a "built-in WM".
>>
>>52472011
Your post just implied that you weren't a pleb.
>>
>>52472187
autistic

also there is such a thing as a "built-in WM"

autist
>>
>>52466855
Gnome or i3. They're the only two solutions that don't require a ton of fucking about with themes and configs and they're pretty reliable in terms of stability.
>>
>>52472304
>Gnome or i3
Please tell the guy what i3 is before he blindly follows your advice and we have another "g fucked up my life with linux" thread, you autist.
>>
>>52472187
Maybe he meant a default WM.
People here thinks that if it comes from a single repository it is the same program, so it is hard to reason with them.
>>
>>52466855
quickly, install windows 10 before arch turns you into a linux zombie
>>
>>52472351
>Please tell the guy what i3 is
i3 is simple and well documented, sure it requires rethinking your approach to desktops, but it's pretty fuckingh simple if you don't try to rice it out.
>>
>>52472304
>gnome
Why the fuck would you reccomend this piece of shite?
It's literally the worst designed UI ever. It makes Win8 look like a masterpiece.
It boggles my mind how much of a fucking retard you'd have to be to invent something this horrifying.
xfce, lxde and the gnome2 fork are the only decent DEs currently
>>
>>52473021
Gnome works fine for me on desktops and laptops.If you're using an older version that ships with say Debian, then, yeah , I could see where you might say it's shite. The latest version is buttery smooth and has alot of well integrated features.In the end, it's all opinion though, isn't it?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.