[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how much of your electric bill do you think comes from your PC?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1438859881486.jpg (40 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1438859881486.jpg
40 KB, 720x960
how much of your electric bill do you think comes from your PC? I have a 80 Bronze Plus 650 power supply, 24inch LED monitor.

Do you think phantom power on your laptop charger uses as much juice as your refrigerator?
>>
>>52465675
Phantom power on a charger? I just know of this as in mics and pre-amps.
>>
File: CPUwatts.png (45 KB, 617x560) Image search: [Google]
CPUwatts.png
45 KB, 617x560
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AOYlqqRnNs
>>
get a kill-a-watt you dumb shit.
>>
>>52465675
Less than 1%.
>one desktop
but..
>large, not-well-insulated house
>2 refrigerators
>1 deep freeze
>electric stove
>electric dishwasher
>electric washer and dryer
>electric HVAC from 1973
>live in midwest, so 100+*F summers with 99% humidity and -20*F winters so HVAC is running 24/7/365
And the BIG kicker...
>wife and teenage daughter that like hour-long showers and are allergic to turning off lights
>>
>>52465711
>posting idle usage
>on /g/
>the board where half the people won't leave their computer to even sleep or shit
seriously?
>>
OP here. recently my electric bill was $80 and I couldn't figure out why. I have the water heater turned down low, we dont have a washer and dryer, we dont use the dishwasher, we have a small refrigerator, dont use the stove a lot. Its a two bed 1 bath apartment and since we had a warm fall and not a crazy winter I just turned the thermostat off completely for about 3 months now.

I do however have a small ceramic heater in my room that is pretty much only turned on at night. My roommate has one too and he only has a laptop and 50inch TV. We have nothing in the living room and so we just let it go cold while we stay warm upstairs.

I just dont see where the power is going to unless these space heaters are a beast on power, but how can they use more power than our big ass central heating unit ?
>>
>>52465830
Electric space heaters use a FUCKTON of power. Is your central heat electric as well?
>>
>>52465830
Seconding that space heaters use a crapton of electricity.

One that will only warm a small circle, the kind old-lady secretaries keep under their desks 24/7, use the same amount of electricity as a whole-home electric furnace. Because they're not forced-air, they have to get the air actually in them a hell of a lot hotter so it radiates out.
>>
>>52465929
from what I can see its a fan on the back and heating element infront.

crazy if it uses the same power and only heats 1/8th as much
>>
itt: op's mom yells at him over his 24/7 gaming ruining his public housing budget
>>
>>52466182
its 120v - 1500W - 12.5Amps
>>
>>52465750
tell them to act like normal people, or turn off the power after 10 minutes
>>
I have never heard of electric central heating, you must mean electric baseboard heating, or am I wrong? THAT takes a fuckton of power, usually 250W per foot of heater
If you used a 1500W space heater it's equivalent to 6 feet of baseboard then, but probably better at dispersing heat if it's a tower with fan like mine, plus they usually shut off at a certain temperature and can be timed as well.
One could possibly pay for itself if you set it to low when you're sleeping or off if you're comfy enough then.
>>
>>52465675
My last power bill was $290AUD. My PC was probably just a fraction of that.
>>
>>52466433
its electric and central air. Where i live electricity is super cheap because we burn coal and kill the planet, also there is a hydro electrical dam close by. Its a big unit that sits outside and we have a vent in every room that can be hot or cold air. at least that what its called in this part of the U.S. we call it Central Air.
>>
http://energyusecalculator.com/electricity_spaceheater.htm
>>
>>52466532
Ah, okay. I remember hearing about the central air but being used to a simple kerosene furnace in our trailers. I've seen the units you're talking about outside of schools and offices.
At least it's cheap there. You could of course find any drafty areas and fix them, or do window treatments, your bill still sounds pretty high for somewhere with cheap electric; what's your bill in summer usually?
>>
>>52466656
In the summer I made my roommates GF pay the water and electric bill because she would crank that A/C even when no one was home and there was no way I was going to go on a cost savings War with her, I think sometimes it was 150 in the summer, but that stupid bitch payed it so I didn't complain.

I do need to look at sealing up the doors and windows better but I am not really sure on how to do that.
>>
>>52465711
Lol my full load power usage when running prime95 is <35w. This includes my 23 monitor and usb devices.
>>
>>52466747
Neither am I, but having some kind of draft guard for the foot of the door is good.
If I lived by myself I'd keep things mid 50's and just dress for it
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.