[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Stallman used the time he spends on telling people to use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: rms.jpg (3 MB, 3456x5184) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
3 MB, 3456x5184
If Stallman used the time he spends on telling people to use Linux to write a proper office suite, Linux might actually succeed.
>>
LibreOffice is a proper office suite desu.
>>
>>52465041
>implying he won't implement it in emacs
You confuse him for somebody useful
>>
he's only care about money
not about linux or whatever popularity
>>
>>52465041
Install Kingsoft. Tencent has 17% share in the company so you know it's good. All Chinese companies btw. qq dot com is also a good email provider from Tencent for that guy that keeps making an email thread.
>>
>>52465041
He hasnt code anything since 2008. And I mean he literally has not programmed since then, not even to work in grub. All he does is check his e-mail in e-macs and do talks.
>>
>>52465041
The problem with open source is autists like himself who would rather entirely cripple an OS fpr political reasons than actually make something usable. Somehow bsd distros dont suffer as bad from this, I wonder why theyre not more popular.
>>
>>52465085
Had a shitload of compatibility issues when I tried to open up LibreOffice documents in Microsoft Office programs.

I don't like it.
>>
>>52465041
he should get fit, can you post the image of GNU that is like a tron poster?
also does he drinks beer ? for me it's the only explanation for his belly
>>
>>52466721
Is this bullshit, or is it actually good?
>>
>>52466790
Its pretty good.
>>
>>52465041
MS OFFICE IS AVAILABLE FOR EVERY OS; JUST USE MS OFFICE 365 YOU MORONS:
https://login.microsoftonline.com/
>>
>>52466810
0.10$ have been deposited to your Microsoft® account.
>>
>>52466823
I'm shilling it because no company has ever used other office suit.
>>
File: KingsoftWriter2013_02large.png (56 KB, 1074x819) Image search: [Google]
KingsoftWriter2013_02large.png
56 KB, 1074x819
>>52466790
Here is older 'writer' suite 2013, perhaps still latest. It is good and very compatible to office software from Microsoft.
>>
>>52466868
>>52466801
Looks like I'll be replacing Libre.
>>
>>52466764
because linux has a smug fanbase that makes people think they're smarter just by using it when they barely reach the tip of the iceberg
it's like reddit OS
>>
>>52466769
>in Microsoft Office programs

Sounds like an issue with the MS programs, not the Libre office programs.
>>
>>52465110
RMS has actually been trying to implement a WYSIWYG word processor major mode in Emacs for decades. It didn't work, probably because the intersection of people who care about WYSIWYG and the people who use Emacs is about six people out of seven billion.
>>
File: wps.png (45 KB, 740x706) Image search: [Google]
wps.png
45 KB, 740x706
>>52466906
Also, it has been re-branded as WPS so you know.
>>
>>52466909
I'm pretty this has nothing to do with anything
>>
>>52466934
it does, he asked why linux was more popular than BSD and i explained why
>>
>>52466961
Nope, it's because of the GPLv2. Instead of a million fucking incompatible forks, we get one kernel that everyone from bedroom hackers to multinational corporations is REQUIRED to contribute back to. This means that Linux gets drivers for everything before other Free OSes, which means that more noobs flock to it, which means that it gets more application support, which means more noobs flock to it...
>>
There are a lot of flaws here
>no one gives a fuck about "office suites"
>Stallman preaches free software more than he preaches GNU/Linux specifically

He's turned into a philosopher from a developer. It's kind of disappointing, actually. Free software is great and sure it's important, but he's absolutely obsessed. I never hear him talk about programming or anything, but he made a ton of important shit back in the day. I wonder what happened..
>>
>>52466764
>Somehow bsd distros dont suffer as bad from this
You can install a DE, Libreoffice, or whatever other open source app on say FreeBSD, just like you can with Debian. The base system may be different, but you can get the two to look and function similarly on the desktop. There are of course more drivers available on Linux.

Stallman hasn't crippled anything.
>>
>>52467045
It's like a superhero origin story.

His idyllic Lisp-hacking paradise got ruined by proprietary software companies. He got so mad he spent two years cloning an ENTIRE COMPANY'S OUTPUT all by himself, feature for feature. He later realized that ultimately it was the ability of software companies to make software proprietary in the first place that was the source of his pain, and dedicated the rest of his life to freeing computer users from the yoke of tyranny.
>>
>>52466868
>>52466929
>kingsoft

nah, it's shit on linux. It says there on the site the community version is designed for chinese and that other languages being able to use it is just a happy coincidence.

Also, they have the same problems opening certain .docx files made with MS office, which i believe is actually a MS problem because they don't follow their own declared standards but whatever. And the only reason i'd install chinksoft office is to stop using ms office with wine because it's buggy.

So I'll pass for now
>>
>>52467163
>tfw he's already an old man and will die in the near future
>he will die mad
>free software never won
what a horrible world we live in
>>
>>52467199
>>he will die mad
I kek'd but it's also somewhat sad
>>
>>52467199
I think Stallman's fatal flaw was giving too much credit to computer users. Of the people on the planet with the level of computer ability of his buddies at the AI lab, nearly all of them use, love, and appreciate free software... but then there's the Android and iOS plebes.
>>
>>52466769
Don't blame LibreOffice, Blame Microsoft for making incompatibilities. It's not in Microsofts best interest to make compatibility work, erodes their monopoly.
>>
>>52467199
>>52467248
He seems pretty realized to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDxMJQLXmBE
>>
>>52467170
I don't understand why you think it's "shit". You did not list anything that isn't already known by other competitors of Microsoft Office.

And what specific, as you say "certain" .docx files do you mean?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>52467775
https://brattahlid.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/is-docx-really-an-open-standard/
>>
>>52466769
that's an issue on MS Office side anon, not libreoffice.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.