[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VIM thred
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: vim cif.jpg (28 KB, 344x445) Image search: [Google]
vim cif.jpg
28 KB, 344x445
How do I make VIM into an IDE?

I have been trying all day to for example get autocomplete to work.

Like I want suggestions of class functions. This is literally all I'm missing with VIM.
YouCompleteMe isn't what I'm looking for since it only completes the current string.

Also multiple buffers? Change files quickly?

How do I make this work?
How do I get more functionality?
How do I get the functionality I want?

Also general VIM thread.
>>
File: thus.png (10 KB, 533x241) Image search: [Google]
thus.png
10 KB, 533x241
This right here is what I want.
Why doesn't YouCompleteMe provide me with this? Is it so hard??

Do YCM give that functionality but it doesn't work in big projects or what gives?
>>
It's really fucking hard getting into this big projekt without some complete suggestions... just tellin ya.

Also what 'essential' plugins?
>>
No one wanna help me with VIM and/or discuss VIM?

VIM vs emacs? Guys?
>>
>>52458909
Nigger, /g/ isn't that fast of a board.

That being said. I have no idea myself.
>>
>>52458790
try ^X^O
>>
>>52459027
Is that Ctrl+Shift+X then Ctrl+Shift+O?
>>
>>52459027
Just takes me to the top of the document...?
Doesn't work in normal nor insert mode

>>52458949
Hey man, name calling isn't nice. No one wants to be called a nigger, not ever. Not even niggers [spoiler]zozzle[/spoiler]

VIM vs emacs guys start a race war
>>
>>52459053
>>52459131
^x^o *** srry
>>
>>52459183
Ah I get an error saying
Loading libclang failed, completion won't be available. Consider setting g:clang_library_path.

I suppose I must resolve that before it should work...
>>
>>52459234
i've never tried adding libraries to it so you're on your own f.a.m.
>>
> I use vim
> vim is great because it has no bloat
> here are the 29 plugins of bloat you need to add to actually get anything done in it
>>
>>52459317
Well if you need to use it as an IDE there are a few steps.
But it's excellent to create one-file-projects.
Also when you get to the hustle to make it into an IDE it's very portable. You just take your .vimrc with you.
>>
>>52458909
Emacs in evil mode, might be easier to just use spacemacs if you're starting out so there's less setup needed. Vim has the superior controls and modes are great but vimscript is shit. Meanwhile elisp is great and allows you to write all the necessary plugins easily.

>>52459317
Vim and emacs don't have any bloat you don't need but allow you to customise the editor to everyones needs. This means everyone can build their editor to their liking. Obviously it means there are some plugins that almost everyone has but you don't have to install them if you don't want to or you can write your own ones if there isn't anything that you like.
>>
>>52459317
I don't use autocompletion but vim is perfect for me with no plugins
>>
nnoremap Q @q

perfect for throwaway macros. Just hit qq to start recording, then q to stop, and then hit Q when you're ready to go.

And you waste nothing by mapping over Q because it's just a short cut to ex mode, which is worse than useless for most users
>>
>>52458790
Neocomplete gives you exactly that. Just make sure you set up your config properly so you have reasonable hotkeys. Honestly, the defaults in the example config work perfect.
>>
>>52459552
There's lots of "bloat" in Vim that you'll never use for writing programs.

That said, you just don't use those features.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.