[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux (or GNU/Linux) Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: flt3.jpg (34 KB, 391x515) Image search: [Google]
flt3.jpg
34 KB, 391x515
Previously on: >>52445988

I decided to keep it "Linux" so we can accomodate GNU free distros like Alpine Linux.

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a distro on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Dual-boot Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about Linux)
4) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux, whatever)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic [it's reddit-tier] -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse/puke-inducing like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

Check out this page for any updates on the OP
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
>>52456878
I feel I was robbed of my "full Linux experience" because of how easy everything is to install nowadays.

Should I literally install gentoo?
>>
Why the fuck did you make this thread so early? No one cares who makes the thread. Your not special. Fuck off.
>>
File: pedo_flt_OP.jpg (26 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
pedo_flt_OP.jpg
26 KB, 800x600
the above guy is known as the pedo OP
its the jimmy savile pictures/gif posting guy, who is a known pedophile in the UK
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savile

He even put the claim that its a micro meme here in /flt/ on the gentoo wiki

that is all, just so you know
>>
>>52456946
funtoo>gentoo
if you want to, just do it.
>>
reinstalling debian without DE
now i can download all shit except DEs
its only saying cant find package while with apt search i can find them
>>
Reminder:

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

No bully for using distro/program X or Y.
You're shooting your own leg when you troll linux babbies and make it hard for them to free themselves from windows.
>>
>>52456878
So is it Linux or GNU/Linux thread? Can we discuss Android matters?
>>
>>52457471
No botnet allowed.
>>
>tfw my wifi is finally booting by itself.

Small victories lads.
>>
Can someone please explain the difference between

~/.apprc
~/.app/apprc
¨/.config/apprc
¨/.config/app/apprc
/etc/app.conf
?

Where to place the files the correct way? Would be nice to have all configs follow the same rules ... why is this chaos even a thing?
>>
>>52457427
This
However you don't really expect decent behaviour from a bunch of 20 y/o
>>
>>52457637
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XDG_Base_Directory_support
>>
What service do you /flt/ers use for your cloud servers? I'm looking at Vultr at the moment; $5/month for a 768 MB memory instance.
>>
When setting variables, what is the difference between VAR=foo and export VAR=foo?
>>
>>52457135
go away pedo
>>
So Arch's general recommendations page refered me to to this page about CPU scaling:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_frequency_scaling

Apparently the Linux kernal automatically adjusts the frequency and voltage which is pretty cool.

My question is just I can see why changing the voltage (though I don't know why higher voltages the lowest voltage VH/VL would be used in the first place) would influence power consumption+heat generation, but why would the frequency effect it? I do have an idea of what clock speed does in setting the logic gates every cycle by sending a current to every CMOS NOT gate, but the only way it would be a net lower expenditure is if the period in between the sent currents was longer than the normal while sending less current signals over a time period total. So does clock speed actually refer to "the total amount of signals sent per second" rather than the true frequency?

And also is this a thing that all modern kernals do or is it unique to Linux?

Maybe this is more a question for EEs/CompEs on /sci/, but I'm guessing poeple here would know more details about the second question.
>>
>>52457955
export makes it global i believe? but not sure
>>
File: VanMorrisonAstralWeeks.jpg (135 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
VanMorrisonAstralWeeks.jpg
135 KB, 500x497
Guy from yesterday, still haven't given up on being unable to properly bind mouse keys to keyboard with Xbindkeys. The intent is to replicate my current AHK Windows script that uses it as both a) regular mousepress that can be used to drag and drop things, and b) as a modifier key for arrow keys within Firefox (alt+left/right for moving forward/back pages) and maybe the filemanager if I manage to get that far.

For reference, this is the code I'm using right now (c:108 binds to right Alt):
"xdotool mousedown 1"
c:108

"xdotool mouseup 1"
c:108 + Release

What I've been further doing with this was using xmodmap (which is horribly buggy) to disable repeat on the key and remove the modifier flag. So far so good, but Firefox keyconfig refuses to accept it as a modifier. But once I add a modifier flag to the key, after a single press it stays down and doesn't get released.

TL;DR somebody said that the "release" trigger doesn't get triggered properly and it might be a bug, so I'm looking for a workaround. Any suggestions for what else I could try? Are there any alternatives for Xbindkeys that aren't just wrappers?
>>
Has anyone installed the latest Nvidia drivers (the ones with GLVND) on X/Ubuntu?

Do they work okay for older cards? I have a 2xx series, would I get anything by installing?
>>
Any good pushbullet alternative for gnome on fedora or one that has an extension for Firefox ? I found pushline but it only has a chrome extension and I don't use chrome
>>
>>52457361
pliz help
with the same source list it managed to download it before
>>
>>52457942
why not make your own?
>>52458113
are you missing xorg or something? you sure you used the right package name?
>>
>>52458110
whats wrong with pb
>>
>>52458110
Airdroid's web application
>>
>>52458129
im checking the package names online and with apt search i can find them yet when i want to download it says its missing
>>
>>52458186
are you connected? apt search is local, apt install is not.
>>
>>52458247
i managed to download sudo and gedit so i think yes, also managed to update the system
is there a way to search online from cli?
>>
>>52458272
w3m should be installed. type w3m <website url>
>>
Would a portable touchscreen work with Ubuntu's Unity?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/GeChic-1002-10-Portable-Touchscreen-Monitor-with-HDMI-and-VGA-/321839389966
>>
>>52458286
loads google so it should be okay, also i can ping sites without package loss
>>
Hey, I'm trying to install cinnamon on Debian 8, but it keeps installing 2.2, how can i force the installation of 2.8 or 2.4?
>>
>>52458401
use a different branch of debian, like not stable.
>>
>>52458129
I don't want an internet-facing server on my home network. Plus my internet connection is shit.
>>
>>52458417
Thanks
>>
>>52458401
either enable backports, switch to testing or compile it yourself.
>>
hi /g/uys
i'm a pretty practical person, and like to concentrate on important things, i'd also like to think of myself as pretty guy technical as well (programming low level for OS's, programming for embedded devices, reverse engineering are part of my work)

I've always wanted to switch to a linux distro (currently winfag), but never had luck with that (performance, tedious configuration). I've tried ubuntu at several occasions, and also arch, but I always felt I spend too much time on fixing and configuring stuff instead of actually using my laptop.

Any advice?
>>
>>52458454
How do you upgrade from stable to testing?
>>
>>52458467
when did you last test it and what DE and OS did you use? what did you need to fix?
>>
>>52458489
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
replace "stable" or "jessie" with "testing" or "stretch"
>>
I'm currently using Xubuntu.

However I need to use several Windows specific applications. VM is out of the question. How easy is it to create a Windows boot partition on my hard drive from Xubuntu? Would it be easier to go back to Windows and set up a new Linux partition from there?
>>
>>52458514
Thanks again
>>
>>52458049
Basically an EE question but yeah, in CMOS technologies you only use power when changing states.
That is, keeping a register bit at a logic 1 consumes no power, even though it may be producing a voltage, because there is no current drawn.

However, when transitioning from one state to another, there is a brief period where there is a connection between Vcc and ground, so current is drawn.
The transition time is fairly constant no matter how often you change the state (assuming you dont go nuts and change before a transition is complete).

Therefore the amount of power you consume is directly proportional to the clock frequency.
>>
>>52458548
don't forget to
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
after saving.
>>
File: Flamingmidgets.png (32 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Flamingmidgets.png
32 KB, 300x300
Does anyone know how to install kde connect on gnome in fedora ? I really want to try it out. It is free and has more features than pushbullet including mirroring your pc on your phone
>>
>>52458536
You may want to use GParted
>>
>>52458604
Have done, thanks
>>
>>52458492
about 2-3 years ago, used gnome
arch did last for some months, but eventually i started to get all kinds of weird stuff with pacman and how it managed packages/dependencies and some problems with the network manager also so I switched to windows since then.
still work a lot with linux systems at work, but just can't persuade myself to switch to linux as my primary working environment
>>
>>52456878
Please help me. I am looking for a good graphical file manager to use with awesome wm on debian testing. It must have as little dependencies as possible. Also looking for a minimalistic firefox theme.
Thnak you.
>>
>>52458049
>>52458588
As for your other question, I'm pretty sure Windows can do the same thing.
It's more dependant on the CPU manufacturer than the OS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_frequency_scaling
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_voltage_scaling
>>
>>52458588
Thanks for the detailed answer.

>That is, keeping a register bit at a logic 1 consumes no power, even though it may be producing a voltage, because there is no current drawn.
Oh, that is fucking wicked, I always imagined that the current is constantly flowing throughout the entire system for some reason. So it's actually just a static voltage on the gate itself, that's awesome.

>>52458682
Thanks.
>>
>>52458674
ranger, pacmanfm or thunar
>>
Can I boot a Linux system without attaching my GPU?
I want to pass the GPU to a VM, but don't have a second GPU to give to Linux.
If I compile the kernel (or at least initrd, and blacklist the driver) without support for radeon/amdgpu, will I still be able to fully boot, then pass the device to VGApassthrough?
>>
>>52458716
>I always imagined that the current is constantly flowing throughout the entire system for some reason. So it's actually just a static voltage on the gate itself, that's awesome.

There is almost always some amount of static power consumption, but this is very low, sometimes negligible.
It becomes noticeable when you have inefficient transformers losing 20% just to maintain the 12V, 5V and 3V rails for example.

Also this is specific to CMOS. Another thing to consider is that that DRAM is constantly discharging and recharging the capacitances, even though the states may not be changing.
The trade-off for smaller footprint per bit of data (good luck fitting 8GB of SRAM on a single stick) is slower access and more power consumption.
>>
>>52458767
>pacmanfm or thunar
Thanks. Can you also suggest me a theme for firefox?
>>
>>52458716
>>52458798
I'd like to clarify that there is always leakage.
You will never get zero current with any amount of voltage, even at a logic 1.
This leakage is not always noticeable, but is the reason that your computer will drain power in sleep mode. There is still current running through the components, even though it's a very small amount.
>>
>>52458844
http://noha-ra.deviantart.com/art/Tinycss-476413072
>>
> systemd-load-modules abruptly can't find a bunch of modules
> modules get installed as usual
> I've done nothing particularly different to the kernel

Trying to figure it out. Could it be a permissions issue?
>>
>>52458844
developer theme is nice enough for me, never cared enough to install another one.
>>
>>52458401
Consider yourself lucky. Debian Wheezy (back when it was stable, not oldstable) didn't have any packages for cinnamon, at all.
I had to upgrade my VM to testing just to try out a new fucking DE, which of course wrecked it so I've started over with a fresh install since Jessie became stable.
>>
>>52458872
I highly doubt it. Everything should still be readable by root.
Try just compiling them into your kernel.
>>
>>52458798
>>52458855
I see, thanks.
>>
>>52458674
spacefm without a doubt
>>
>>52458906
I'd rather not compile them directly into the kernel... Permissions are all good...

It just suddenly decided it couldn't find them. No idea why.
>>
>>52459082
What happens when you modprobe them?
If you get an error saying that they weren't found, then they're either in the wrong place, or your configs are fucked up.
>>
>>52459119
No such device.

I hope they're in the wrong place. What do I do if the configs are fucked up?
>>
>>52459147
What distro?
What kernel?
What modules?
What devices?
>>
>linux mint installed is fucked after not updating it for a long time
is 17.3 any good or does someone want to recommend me a cool distro to try out?
>>
>>52459328
are you willing to read or do you want just werks? i like debian and opensuse.
>>
Someone posted this for systems with old ffmpeg packages:
iptables -A OUTPUT -m owner --cmd-owner ffmpeg -j DROP

Will it work?
>>
File: patlo.png (234 KB, 404x605) Image search: [Google]
patlo.png
234 KB, 404x605
>>52459328
Stock ubuntu with cinammon installed.

Also, what the fuck is a patlo?
>>
Is there a DE-agnostic version of exo-open? I'd like to have a portable way to open the user's preferred terminal emulator.

exo-open does just that, but it's XFCE-specific.
>>
>>52459351
>patlo
Seems you're hacked by albanian patlo.exe virus
>>
>>52459351
FUCK.
LINUX FUCKING TEXT RENDERING.
IT'S "patio"...

>tanks canonical.
>>
>>52458074
Anybody?
>>
>>52459387
No, but I tried to make mouse button "rocker" binds and failed too. Youre not alone. :)
>>
>>52459387
>>52459418
Use Xmodmap instead.
>>
>>52459351
>Also, what the fuck is a patlo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wfr7ZjGfzM
>>
>>52459418
Well I'll be damned.
Have you tried messing around with the chord keys function? That's the only thing I haven't delved too far in yet is chord keys, have you tried something with those?

>>52459426
Xmodmap doesn't assign mouse buttons, or at least I haven't seen any documented way to.
>>
>>52459358
doesn't ctrl T open the default terminal on any distro? or super T I thought there was a universal keybind but I don't remember it off hand
>>
>>52459418
Is there anyway I can enable copy-paste to urxvt to and from my DE clipboard?

Also how do I get rid of/change that ugly scroll bar in urxvt?
>>
>>52459456
*fuck I don't know what happened there
>>
>>52459469
yes, look at urxvt-perls
>URxvt*.keysym.M-c: perl:clipboard:copy
>URxvt*.keysym.M-v: perl:clipboard:paste
>URxvt*.keysym.M-C-v: perl:clipboard:paste_escaped
in ~/.Xresources
>>
>>52459469
>>52459469
>Also how do I get rid of/change that ugly scroll bar in urxvt?
>URxvt*.scrollBar: false
>>
>>52459469
In terminals you break programs using CTRL+C, therefore on terminals you use CTRL+SHIFT+C and CTRL+SHIFT+V or simple paste via MIDDLE CLICK the last selected text (the linux way).

Xressources for costumizing.
Also see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/rxvt-unicode
>>
>>52459456
A mouse click to X is just a keypress input.

run
$ xev
and use that to test your keycodes/keysyms
>>
I want to buy an orange/kiwi/sausage/raspberryPI. Which one should I get? I just want it to run on gnu/linux and be able to use GPIO. I doesn't need to run 10bit chinese cartoons, but sure as hell I don't want to pay over six gorillion euro of import tax to EU.
>>
Is it better for a new Linux user to work with a DE or just a WM and get everything else manually?
>>
>>52459461
The big ones, probably, but I'd rather not be tied down to a keybinding. I don't use that binding anyway.
>>
fucked up the terminal. what do?
>>
>>52459604
Use a DE until you feel save enough for installing everything manually. Next to this, if you want to use, let's say, awesome or i3wm, you can still install and use these WMs additionally (you should be able to select your WM at login/your DM).

>>52459630
reset
>>
>>52459545
Well guess I can still try to map it this way then. But how will X recognize the button as an alt key for Firefox purposes? Is it possible to feasibly map pressing the button solo as a mouse and make another multikey bind to do something else, e.g. to send "alt+left"?
>>
>>52457955
export causes all shells spawned from the one you're working in to also have that environment variable set
>>
>>52459495
>>52459512
>>52459526

Thank you.
>>
>>52459662
Thanks!
>>
>>52459654
you can do
Button3 -> Button 3 click
Alt + Button3 -> Alt-Left
>>
>>52459729
I think you're confusing me with another anon. What I want to do:
>Press right alt -> mouseclick (can hold to drag stuff)
>Hold right alt + press left -> Alt+left

It werked in Windows
>>
>>52459761
You probably can, I just don't know how.
Archlinux wiki is usually your best resource
>>
>>52459841
I just don't know what program I should read up for this. Apparently Xbindkeys is out of question, Xkeymaps was useless too, Xmodmaps might work but its syntax feels arcane. Then there's Xkb which is supposed to be more powerful...

Are there any others that are worth considering? I think what I need to do is not to rebind the key itself, but actually add another action on top of the one it already does. Is it possible at all in X, to have two actions on one single key?
>>
>>52456878
>I've been using Linux based OS-es since 2010
>very boring nowadays
>don't feel comfortable with any distro
>more like I don't like any DEs
>need something for my new thinkpad x200
wat do?
>>
Anyone have experience running Linux on a Thinkpad T450s or the Zenbook UX305LA. I can get both for about the same price.
>>
I tried the mouse rocker thing (hold right button click left button = Alt+Left etc), but Ive problems:

"xdotool key Alt+Left"
b:3+b:1

"xdotool key Alt+Right"
b:1+b:3

It seems xbindkeys only regonizes the first mouse button, not the second one. Anyway, in case anyone has a mouse with thumb buttons, you can use this, just replace the buttons with b:4, b:5 or b:5, b:6. If anyone knows why my "rocker" thing doesnt work, please respond!
>>
>>52459898
Xmodmap is the best, aside from making changes to Xorg directly.
>>
>>52459924
Sorry, 8 and 9 should be the thumb buttons.
>>
>>52459900
Use a wm
>>
>>52459924
Other mouse anon here, Xbindkeys simply doesn't recognize two mouse button presses for a single action, at least the way you're using it right now. Maybe look into the chord keys function? Either way the program annoys me.
>>
>>52460060
I'll give it a shot, thanks.
>>
>tfw installing base on arch
I should have kept Debian, I swear to god I fucked something up.
>>
>want to download an alternative to snipping tool I previously used in windows.
>Found alt on google called "shutter".
>Google reveals all download top links are those usual shitty sites that try to bundle everything with 9000 search bars and adshit.
>Wonder if it's on an Arch repo.
>Simply type "sudo pacman -S shutter".
>Call it from the command console. It works.
>Easilly found it in my DE app and widgets too.
>It's way better than the windown version too.

I'm never going back.
>>
File: 1411433887720.png (269 KB, 519x373) Image search: [Google]
1411433887720.png
269 KB, 519x373
>>52456878
>>52456878
whats everyones opinion of redhat?
>>
So I've just spent the last half hour trying to work out why file doesn't read from stdin, meaning you can't pipe directly (inb4 just use xargs).

So without extensively reading man pages, how are you supposed to know when you can pipe directly and when you can't?
>>
>>52460149
Greenshot does a lot more than snipping tool in windows by the way.
>>
>>52460177
If you really need the support, it's still miles ahead of microshaft anyway.

Just don't expect that to help with the fact nobody else is using libreoffice so you won't be able to open anyone's .docx files correctly formatted.
>>
>>52460243
well for the most part i was tinkering with it for Hortonworks Hadoop stuff, they gave out a free sandbox and i got comfortable with it.

but then again its not a friendly interface to use
>>
>>52460177
unless you're running a company with lotsa computers you don't need it.

free version of RHEL is called CentOS (compiled from the sources provided by redhat, so literally the same shit but without paid support)

Upstream version of RHEL is Fedora. redhat builds their enterprise linux from it.
>>
>>52460183
It's not on an Arch repo and that kind of ruins the whole thing I was just going for...
>>
Firefox wont load any profiles, nor create a new profile.Its always "inaccessible or missing".
How do i fix this shit.
I've deleted .mozilla and when firefox regenerates it, but there is no profile in it, it wont make a default profile
Im downgraded tried different variations, they all report the same thing.
>>
>>52460466
which distro, how did you install it, are you using the same user as before?
>>
>>52460466
>How do i fix this shit.
ask google.
file a bug report

you've asked yesterday, noone replied meaning noone knows how to fix it.
stop spamming
>>
Not sure what you're trying to do.
>>
I have Mint 17.3 MATE, but gutted all the MATE and changed to Cinnamon, or so I thought.

When I select Lock Screen or just shut my laptop lid, it uses the Cinnamon lock screen to log back in, which is fine. But when the screen times out it defaults to the MATE lock screen. I tried uninstalling MATE-screensaver but then when my screen times out I'm presented with the Linux Mint default background and am unable to sign back in - basically a blank screen. I'm forced to restart.

How do I fix this?
>>
>>52460497
>asked 2 times over 2 days
>spamming
stay friendly, fagget
>>
>>52460497
Ive spent a motherfucking month googling, and both of my tickets were closed. I've tried the archlinux and fedora support forums.Everyone ignores it.
Im not a fucking retard, i know how to manage profiles.But firefox refuses to behave as it should.
Fuck off nigger
>>
This is the hard drive from my old laptop. I've made backups (that hopefully work).

I haven't really used it for a while and decided maybe I could use it in my desktop. When it was in my laptop, it was starting to act funny.

I finally got around to fucking around with SMART. Ignore the temperature error, I accidentally overheated the laptop years ago.

What's your guys' verdict?
>>
>>52460574
what read out do you get from terminal when starting it there, with and without -p option? How are you starting it?
>>
>>52460574
Tried a complete reinstall with wiping out everything? Tried using the same profile in a different Firefox install (different OS in a VM or some shit)?
>>
File: input.webm (227 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
input.webm
227 KB, 640x360
>>52460612
Nothing, it returns nothing
strace,gdb, valgrun. They all show nothing wrong with it.
>>52460614
Ive completely removed firefox and all mozilla components.
Ive backed up my profiles and deleted the .mozilla. Firefox makes a new .mozilla, but it only makes a firefox folder in .mozilla with no default profile in it.
>>
>>52460589
I'm trying to zero it out to install ubuntu for shits and giggles.

It keeps on jumping from 40 MiB/s to about 19 KiB/s.

if I'm right the future doesn't seem very funky fresh for this drive
>>
File: 1450101773453.jpg (273 KB, 1024x1400) Image search: [Google]
1450101773453.jpg
273 KB, 1024x1400
>>
>>52460665
Show the strace output.
What happens if you download the binary from the website and run it? Looks like it might be a rights/permission problem.
>>
>>52460732
lolz
>>
>>52460665
Yeah, could be permissions like other anon says.
Did you try the VM thing? Whether it's not a corrupt profile busting the firefox or some completely whack shit like that.
>>
>>52460732
>compton
>tear free
thank god, xcompmgr has me bawling my fucking eyes out every time I have the displeasure of using it
>>
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/General_recommendations#DNS_security

^ Do I need to worry about things like this and/or firewalls etc. or does browsers like firefox come with its own DNS security lists?
>>
>>52460806
>I cant configure compton.
>>
File: peedy.jpg (122 KB, 457x409) Image search: [Google]
peedy.jpg
122 KB, 457x409
>>52460732
reddit guy got rekt on reddit
>>
>>52460854
sauce?
>>
>>52460848
>joke
>head
>>
>>52460531
Solved myself. For those interested, type in terminal:

mate-screensaver-preferences
>>
>>52460736
http://pastebin.com/mQWueTe8

Running just the binary directly from mozilla, results in the same problem. No console output.

>>52460776
I dont even care about getting my old profile back at this point.I just need it running.
I removed the skeleton files from profile.d.

I dont want to install virtualbox and all its bloated deps.
>>
>>52460898
Maybe qemu then?
>>
How do I get X to automatically run xset to turn off power saving shit when I start X? I've tried adding it to my .xinitrc file, but it doesn't seem to be working. Works fine if I manually enter the command in a terminal.
>>
>>52460806
>>52460806
>tfw Compton still screen tears (on the portrait monitor) when using both a landscape and a portrait monitor, and so does every other Xorg compositor
WAYLAND PLEASE HURRY
>>
Anyone running Wayland? That's the replacement for the X server, correct?

How's it measure up? I know it's still beta or something but how's it looking?
>>
>>52461002
isn't there a flag for that?
>>
>>52460898
I don't know anything to help you, but damn it sucks that you're struggling so much with this. I installed firefox 5 hours ago logged on to my firefox account and synced my profile from my old windows instance, it worked seamlessly despite my old windows account using a bunch of shit that requires aero.
>>
>>52461002
Don't have firsthand experience but apparently it's relatively usable on Gnome and on KDE it looks like this https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=kde-2016-review&num=6
Expect to have to still run X apps for a long time tho
>>
>>52460979
>>52460848

here is a hint
"tear" and "tear" are homographs
>>
>>52461020
It was fine till 11/22.I didnt even update anything that day, let alone firefox.I have no other fucking clue what to do.
>>52460930
I dont care about the profile. I've tried chrooting it on my own and using sandfox. But the same results happened. Everything is stock permissiones, I played around with the .mozilla and nothing changed.Even used a new skeleton user and tryed to launch it and same shit
>>
>>52460898
A workaround, but how about switching to a different Firefox fork? Cyberfox, Pale Moon, etc... You can even keep your profile.
>>
File: Untitled.gif (374 KB, 457x409) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.gif
374 KB, 457x409
>>52460867
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/3ya67j/install_arch_infographic/
>>
> wpa_supplicant always loaded at boot
> until one day it didn't
> need to go to root and start it manually again
> config files the same
> permissions to said files the same
> wireless card detected
> modules for said card loaded
> no idea why

I'd appreciate any help.
>>
>>52460970
Tried this
Same result, just a different name in the dialog.
Firefox 35,42,43
Firefox-esr(lts support)
Firefox-nightly
Palemoon
Icecat
Iceweasel
Using them from the package manager and compiling from source.
>>
>>52460898
Try creating a new user (with a /home) and launching from there.
>>
>>52461169
I have tried that aswell.
>>
File: 1452804234646.jpg (494 KB, 1024x1400) Image search: [Google]
1452804234646.jpg
494 KB, 1024x1400
>>52460732
IMPROVED
>>
>>52461151
do you use systemctl?
>>
>>52461184
install iceweasel
>>
>>52461200
I have as well as the other programs mentioned here
>>52461164
>>
>>52461196
>systemd
do I look like I suck Red Hat's cock?
>>
>>52461196
Yeah.

the systemd-networkd service is enabled as is the wpa_supplicant service.
>>
>>52461208
install it again
>>
>>52461164
Well fuck
If I were you I'd just backup my data & notable config files and reinstall the whole thing
>>
Same anon from the last thread
>>52449968
Should I really replace Chrome OS with Gentoo? Or leave it alone. I don't mind giving a shot from my reasons here
>>52459725

On the archwiki has already for it, but for Gentoo it's a forum post with some guy failing. That's what I'm worried about…
>So does anybody with Chromebook install another OS besides the regular ones(chrubuntu)?
>>
>>52461215
have you checkd if is it failed?:
> systemctl --failed
>>
>>52461244
> ChromeOS

Yes, you should definitely replace it with something else. Gentoo is good but will be difficult.

Never used a chromebook before, I'm no good for anything more specific than that.
>>
>>52461184
You system is fucked then. Try something that's not a meme distro next time.
>>
>>52461265
That it did. It failed to load the wpa_supplicant daemon.

The system can't seem to decide whether my wireless card is named wlan0 or wlp3s0, so I enabled a service for both. Could that be the issue?
>>
File: input.webm (111 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
input.webm
111 KB, 640x360
>>52461240
There is no reason to do a complete reinstall over one application not working, there has to be a reason and there has to be a way to fix it.

>>52461233
Same thing.

>>52461294
Yeah having a stable system for 8 consecutive years is fucked, sure bub.
>>
>>52461213
enjoy your neckbeard garbage
>>
>>52461372
>Yeah having a stable system for 8 consecutive years is fucked, sure bub.
>can't run an application or any of its forks
>can't run as user or other user
>can't get info from bug reports, distro support forum or /g/
sounds pretty fucked to me mate
>>
>>52461310
thats weird, you should have one naming scheme not both.

Your card should be named wlp3s0 , the "wlan0" naming scheme is old.
>>
which one should I choose senpai
>>
>>52461148
What's the setup to download AUR packages? Apparently from the reddit thread posted adding the mirror to pacman is bad?
>>
>>52461438
Dunno, I don't use a meme
>>
>>52461413
>Literally all other applications work
>Literall over 1500 packages work with no issue
>One application is not working
>"OH LAWDY JESUS" everything is fucked
I don't think so
>>
File: 1452989797742.png (73 KB, 868x446) Image search: [Google]
1452989797742.png
73 KB, 868x446
>>52461436
>>
>>52461436
the one you already have probably.
>>
>>52461438
Go to the aur pages on the site.
Look for apacman
download the tar.gz
extract it somewhere
go in to the folder and makepkg
let it work
when its done do pacman -U apacman<verzion>.xz
Now its installed
>>
>>52461463
Cool, have fun
>>
>>52461310
>>52461420
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration#Device_names
>>
>>52461473
thanks senpai desu

>>52461481
it's a live usb, I'm just checking shit to make sure it works before I commit to an install. It's going off the default.
>>
>>52461463
do you want help or do you want to be a cunt?
>>
>>52461463
>"OH LAWDY JESUS" everything is fucked
You're the one apparently posting everywhere and spamming here with your problem.
>>
>>52461452
>/ftl/ - Friendly linux thread
>Friendly
>FRIENDLY

Be friendly you nigger.
>>
>>52461499
>it's a live usb
lyl. It won't save any settings on a live usb
>>
>>52461499
always test the open drivers before switching to the proprietary ones.
>>
>>52461525
I know, that's why I'm doing it. If I fuck anything up, everything's kosher no harm done

>>52461527
Good idea.
>>
>>52461514
That was friendly, I was stating a fact.
>misunderstanding what friendly means
If you want a hug fuck of to reddit cunt.
>>
>>52461514
I'll friendly you!
>>
>>52461503
Reinstalling the entire system is a windows ideal. One application is not working, there is a reason for it, its a matter of finding it.
>>52461513
>spamming
I posted it today and yesterday in different flt threads at different times. Responding to peoples posts isnt spamming, atleast im not responding to one post at a time.
>>
What are you supposed to download after you get a WM and DM?
>>
>>52461548
I think you should go outside and take a walk, the internet seems to be getting to you
>>
>>52458614
>Does anyone know how to install kde connect on gnome in fedora ? I really want to try it out. It is free and has more features than pushbullet including mirroring your pc on your phone

If you want to mirror your pc to an android device then use a tablet, not a phone
>>
>>52461463
>>52461582
typical arch user everyone
>>
>>52458674
Midnight Commander
>>
>>52461594
You're the one crying about people not being friendly hun
>>
>>52461148
Hes still fighting: >>52460485
>>
>>52461622
I'm someone else worrying about your wellbeing
Maybe give your mom a call or pet a cat
>>
>>52461593
Whatever you need. How should we know?
>>
>>52461484
Thanks.

Btw is it conventional to extract that somewhere like in /root/src or just anywhere in the home directory?

What I mean is if I use makepkg is that designed to compile it and place it in a certain directory? How does pacman "know" where to find the package?
>>
>>52461636
>dat projection
>>
>>52458773
>Can I boot a Linux system without attaching my GPU?
>I want to pass the GPU to a VM, but don't have a second GPU to give to Linux.
>If I compile the kernel (or at least initrd, and blacklist the driver) without support for radeon/amdgpu, will I still be able to fully boot, then pass the device to VGApassthrough?

Yes, but you'll have to boot your system "headless" meaning you'll be using the terminal to launch the VM.
>>
>>52461624
oh my goodness, I can't stop lelling
>>52461655
>/root/src
huh? You shouldn't be doing anything in /root
>>
>>52461612
he said graphical not text, I would suggest doublecommander and use the qt version
>>
>>52461655
I use
/home/<user>/build
Definatly dont compile as root or put things in there that dont need to be
>>
>>52458773
You'll also have to unblacklist your gpu driver and reboot if you want to use a gui within the host.

Unless... you run nomachine NX as a service and connect to it via another device, such as a phone or laptop
>>
>>52461715
definitely definitely doesn't have an A in it
>>
>>52461688
>>52461715
Alright thanks.
>>
>>52461655
anywhere in your home dir. I have a dir for aur made packages.

makepkg makes the package in the dir you are working. After the package is made, you install it by using pacman, but it doesnt know where the package is, you have to tell it using the parameter like this: pacman -U yourpakcage.pkg.tar.xz .
>>
>>52459358
Xdg-open
>>
>>52461745
Thank you, Anon.
>>
>>52461595
First I don't have a tablet not will I buy one and second I was just pointing it out has one of the many features it has.
My question is how can I install it on gnome environment in fedora
>>
File: SexualGod.jpg (78 KB, 585x600) Image search: [Google]
SexualGod.jpg
78 KB, 585x600
Oh wait, I guess I can stop shitposting this image
>>
>>52460149
That is the beauty of Arch Linux
>>
>>52461766
I saw that, but how do I get it to open a terminal emulator?
I tried
xdg-open bash
and got ``Unable to detect the URI-scheme of "bash".''
xdg-open /bin/bash
results in a plain error code 4 (action failed).
>>
>>52460665
Create a profile with
firefox --noremote -P
>>
>>52461866
Same thing, cant access or inaccessable
There is literally nothing in the .mozilla folder
>>
>>52460979
Make a driver.conf with triple buffering enabled
>>
>>52461473
> recommending proprietary software

Don't you have a field to shit in, Rajeet?

I heard computers in India actually ship with Ubuntu. Is that true?
>>
>>52461917
Have you checked to see if your drive is failing?
>>
Which Display Manager would you guys recommend for XFCE?
>>
>>52462025
startx
>>
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=shit

reminder.
>>
>>52461994
SMART's never bitched about it in any logs.Nothing wrong in its smart data either.
>>
>>52462054
Check how many times bill has said it since the 80's. Oh wait you cant
>>
>>52462025
>>52462040
this

I literally see no point in display managers
>>
File: 1438851173125.jpg (41 KB, 495x321) Image search: [Google]
1438851173125.jpg
41 KB, 495x321
>>52462054

I'm serious, I am going to kick the living shit
out of you, game over, lights out.
>>
>>52461917
Maybe you don't have write permissions.

Have you tried launching it from a terminal with the command I gave you?

List the output, then paste it into Google and see if anything comes up about the error
>>
File: 1423676570266.png (214 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1423676570266.png
214 KB, 400x462
>>52462114
go back to >>>/r/eddit cunt
>>
File: input.webm (121 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
input.webm
121 KB, 640x360
>>52462114
Nothing returns.
>>
File: truecrypt-logo.png (219 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
truecrypt-logo.png
219 KB, 512x512
>Arch & TrueCrypt
Cince ABI change in C++ truecrypt stopped working

They talk about it here
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=206209

Any way to make it work without reverting to the previous version and blocking the update?
Also it somehow feels retarded, previous version works, but one after that not, even though a change happened on Arch side with ABI?

Any Arch users that fixed this?
>>
>>52461855
Edit .config/mimeapps.list
>>
>>52462098
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>52462153
That's strange, you should at least see a library error...
>>
>>52462193
gdb, strace,valgrun all report nothing is wrong.
>>
>>52462193
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>52462165
Thanks, but the purpose was to be used out of the box without changing user's files.
>>
>>52462054
What's your point?
>>
>>52462238
> falling for the Friendly meme

We need more people like you in these threads.
>>
>>52462238
Being a tripfag so people know who is posting so you dont follow shitposter like you, is necessary
>>
Gonna make the switch to Linux tonite.
Looking at the distros it seems Ubuntu and Linux Mint are the most newbie friendly, right?

Which one should I try between those two do you guys think?
>>
>>52462271
Go back to reddit if you prefer usernames, this is 4chan, faggot.
>>
>>52456946
arch instead
It's a practical gentoo
>>
>>52462286
Linux mint is the most windows-like and I personally like Cinnamon (Mint's Desktop Environment) better than Unity (Ubuntu's)
>>
>>52462238
>>52462188
>>52462146
Same person?
>>
>>52462305
Linux Mint is for /pol/ users who hate jews aswell.
>>
>>52462098
I'd like to see Linus Torvalds fight Richard Stallman.
>>
>>52460466
Have you tried deleting ~/.cache ?
>>
>>52462305
Bro, manjaro is a great step up, if you enjoy things like new DEs or obscure packages not available for Ubuntu via the AUR.
>>
>>52462405
arch is for ricer babbies and /v/ queers though
>>
>>52456878
I have a pretty stupid question. Once compiled, the only relevant part of a program is the binary file (if no library dependence is needed) is it not?
>>
>>52462396
I have .cache mount to tmpfs,but removing the .cache from tmpfs didnt do anything.And unlinking .cache so it is written to disk, also didnt do anything.
>>
>>52462405
fuck off finally, you only breed shitstorms like
>>52462307
>>52462296
>>52462271
>>52462266
>>52462238
>>
>>52462432
all the libraries are stored in /var/lib or whatever arbitrary directory your distro chooses

it doesn't matter where the binary is as long as your computer has the libraries installed
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.