[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You just bought a new USB flash drive you want to keep on you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: C00238.jpg (43 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
C00238.jpg
43 KB, 1000x1000
You just bought a new USB flash drive you want to keep on you keychain and you want to make it as useful as possible.
What distro do you put on it and what software tools to help diagnose and fix other computers?
Also if it's a bigger drive what do you do, just use a single NTFS partition or jump trough hoops to make multiple partitions, and still keep the NTFS primary so Windows can work with it?
>>
Install a grub, make it multi-bootable. Install ultimate bootcd, eset sys rescue cd, and maybe a Linux distro. Also load it up full of things like rkill, MBAM, adwcleaner, TDSSKiller, HitmanPro, and ComboFix
>>
>>52452199
I'm curious about this too, so far the only linux distro I used enough is openSUSE so I guess I'll put that on the USB flash drive, for fixing simple issue that don't require pre-boot operations.

About the tools for advanced troubleshooting I'd choose:

- file recovery software
- partition table restorer
- partition manager
- boot loader restorer (for both linux/windows)

Super GRUB and Rescatux can do almost all of this, I'd put both of these on small partitions in the USB flash drive if I could, they don't take up much space anyway.

For file recovery, is better if you try out more than one tool because some are better but don't have all the same features that the others have:
https://alternativeto.net/software/recuva/

For troubleshooting malware these recommendations are good:
>>52452531

Add something like AdwCleaner too.
>>
>>52452633
>Add something like HijackThis* too.
fitfm.
>>
Can I make debian/ubuntu based distros run from RAM?
Has someone tried this:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man1/debirf.1.html
>>
Then once you have assembled the USB stick contents, make an image of it. A USB stick with w write protection switch would be ideal for such purposed, but the faggot manufactureres essentially stopped making them for whatever reason. This means that your USB stick will always be subject to infection/corruption, so you need to be able to reimage it.
>>
>>52452633
>Super GRUB and Rescatux can do almost all of this, I'd put both of these on small partitions in the USB flash drive if I could, they don't take up much space anyway.

Why on separate partitions? You can make a multiboot USB stick which boots various stuff off of ISO images directly.
>>
>>52452531
>>52452633
stop downloading and executing random shit you find on the internet
it's that fucking simple
>>
>>52453844
>A USB stick with w write protection switch would be ideal for such purposed, but the faggot manufactureres essentially stopped making them for whatever reason.

The reason is that
1) they were more costly to make
2) normies didn't really use the write protection
3) thus they don't miss it
4) manufacturers don't give a shit about the tiny minorty who would miss it.

There still are some niche products available (like Kanguru USB sticks), but expectedly enough they are quite costly.
>>
>>52453988
>implying that the only source of any problems with computer stuff is infections due to stupidity
>implying that telling oneself (or someone else who has the problem) not to be stupid in the future will magically solve an existing problem
>implying...
>>
>>52453971
oh well I never done that, I'm not that experienced yet... any link to useful resource sites?
>>
>he fell for the NTFS on removable media meme
>>
>>52454271
Using Yumi is quite painless, it is supports a huge number of bootdiscs, be it Linux live CDs, Windows installers, or other bootable tools.
>>
>>52454480
>Yumi
Thanks I shall check it out.
>>
>>52452199
Hiren's BootCD
>linux
>windows
>lots of ways to analyze problems
>>
>>52452531
Why not just installing hiren's boot cd?
>>
>>52454480
YUMI has royally fucked up for me the last few times I've tried it. It was nice when it did actually work, though.
>>
My go-to usb has

Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTS , 32 bit

on it. only annoying thing is the ubuntu 14.04 bug where you have to manually start nm-applet.
>>
>>52453988
God, you're an idiot
>>
>>52453844
How to do that?
dd ?
>>
>>52452199
>new USB flash drive
Anon, just get a micros SD card with micro SD card reader.
that way you can even transfer files to your phone.
And can even avoid BadUSB.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.