[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 >file conversion on android requires internet >uploading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_20160116-034456.png (74 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160116-034456.png
74 KB, 1080x1920
>2016
>file conversion on android requires internet
>uploading file, conversion, download
why is there no app that converts almost anything without internet?
>>
i mean, if it can be done on a server, why not in an app?
i'm willing to download a 200mb app for that.
>>
Software as a service. This is the future you chose.
>>
>>52445670
Running software on the client side is a massive security risk.
All computing will be like this in 10 years from now.
The era of application software running on the client side is over.
>>
>>52445702
Because it is easy to update a web service and harder to update apps, and get those updates distributed, and keep compatibility with API changes, etc
>>
>>52445708
>>52445743
I'm afraid you're both right.
But why would people centralize everything instead of building better security?
>>
>>52445797
Because computers were designed for data scientists, by data scientists, not dumb layman types who just want to look at funny cat pictures and upload drunk partying pics of their friends to facebook.

Stop trying to use your phone like a computer and buy a real fucking computer.
>>
>>52445795
why are a lot of things written in an update-unfriendly structure?
Android sdk22 broke a lot of stuff, and there is a camera app that only functions on sdk22 and lower for no apperant reason
>>
>>52445864
Because you have no idea how difficult it is to maintain backwards compatibility forever.
>>
BUT EVERYONE SAID THAT GOOGLE WERE THE GOOD GUYS BECAUSE THEY RELEASED SOME SOURCE CODE AND FOUGHT PATENTS!!!! HOW COULD THIS BE????
>>
>>52445844
>implying data-scientists don't funny cat pictures

I see my phone as a small toolbox, it's quite powerful and does whatever the fuck i tell it to do.

How do you feel about people carrying leathermans?
Should they also stop trying to use it as a toolbox and buy a real toolbox?
Or is a leatherman a small tool suitable for light tasks and situations where a toolbox is inconvenient?
>>
>>52445893
>What are branches
>>
>>52445925
You wouldn't build a house with a leatherman.
Don't do heavy lifting on a phone, you'll be wasting your time looking for an android app that fits your exact use case only to find out the feature you need is locked behind a paywall.
Meanwhile on a computer, there's a million free software projects that can do what you need.
>>
>>52445981
I wouldn't call file conversion heavy lifting.
You shouldn't use it for more than it can handle, mine can handle much so i use it for much.

And about the paywall, look closely at the OP pic, that apps gives you 2 credits and you can only get more by paying.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.