[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mouse is deprecated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 17
ITT: Trackballs
>>
>>52443862
>let's speed up our carpal tunnel syndrome development by not moving our hand at all!
Mice deprecation is still ecades away.
>>
File: Elecom M-DT2URBK.jpg (67 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Elecom M-DT2URBK.jpg
67 KB, 800x800
so, is this thing any good?
>>
>>52444037
I dunno man, my wrist stopped hurting when I switched to a trackball. Maybe it's just because it engages different muscles and it will fuck me up in the long run, maybe it'll always be good. We'll see. But for now it works.
>>
>>52444056
that's the big question. Haven't seen any serious reviews yet.
>>
>>52443862
>meme
>>
File: trackball comparison.jpg (405 KB, 1920x1133) Image search: [Google]
trackball comparison.jpg
405 KB, 1920x1133
>>52444140
>>52444056
It's fairly good but only if you have small or medium sized hands.
If your hands are thick, it will be cramped (the ball is tiny like in a thumb trackball and the right click button is near it), if your hands are long, it will be uncomfortable to hold.
It's similar shape to the old Microsoft or Logitech ergonomic trackballs, but not the same size - clearly meant for asians.
Other than that, it's really OK. A lot of buttons, they click nicely, the ball rolls really smoothly, no problems so far. I don't like the scroll wheel as it gives too much resistance for my taste, both when scrolling and clicking, but that's personal preference.
I'd also recommend a wireless version, not because of the wirelessness, but because the AA battery adds a bit extra weight and IMO it's too light without it. But you can of course buy a wired one and glue something heavy inside.

tl;dr not perfect because too small. But since it's the first ergonomically shaped finger trackball in over a decade, we can't really complain too much.
>>
File: 81GUaYp-uYL._SX466_.jpg (26 KB, 466x566) Image search: [Google]
81GUaYp-uYL._SX466_.jpg
26 KB, 466x566
Feels good to be T-RB22 master race.
>>
There was this heavy duty metal trackball I heard about a year or two back. I can't remember the name. Anyone know?
>>
>mouse vs trackball vs trackpoint vs touchpad

Rank from best to worst.
>>
>>52445882
Trackball
Digitizer
Trackpoint
Mouse
shit
shit
shit
shit
touchpad
>>
File: 71xnEF2XcsL._SL1500_.jpg (55 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
71xnEF2XcsL._SL1500_.jpg
55 KB, 1500x1000
>>52445764
Figured it out. CST L-Trac. Not metal, but still looks nice.
>>
>>52443862
In every place I've worked, it's always been the creepy pedo looking whiner that has a trackball.

They also invariably carpel tunnel wrist brace and some kind of orthopedic chair cushion. And a thin layer of grease covering everything in their cubical / office.
>>
>I use a trackball.
>>
File: cmp-ratpoison.png (57 KB, 804x625) Image search: [Google]
cmp-ratpoison.png
57 KB, 804x625
>>
I can't get on with trackballs that are finger based. I have a Logitech that uses the thumb and prefer it immensely. For everyday use though? I dunno. I just have it on my server because of cramped space.
>>
>>52446364
I've got one of these. So nice to not have to move my wrist.
>>
File: 1452383235059.jpg (478 KB, 1600x1364) Image search: [Google]
1452383235059.jpg
478 KB, 1600x1364
>>52444156
>Not having a trackball collection
>>
If only a good thumb trackball was still made... The M570 is a POS sadly.
>>
>>52446780
I like it enough, though I would prefer one with a finger centered ball but I couldn't find one with 5 button and scroll wheel that wasn't discontinued
>>
I don't get why you'd want a wireless version of a Kensington, tbhf. For an input device, it's kind of huge. Also you don't move it around.

Seems like a bad tradeoff for whatever input lag and battery fucking with you're getting.
>>
logitech marble user here
I really like it, been using it for years. I have like three of them stowed away in case they stop making them but its been holding up like a champ for a years. mouse is huge but so are my hands, its a perfect fit

scooting a mouse around seems foolish in comparison. For a traditional mouse you not only need a clear space large enough to accommodate moving the mouse, but you need a surface that works with your sensor.
trackball mice sit in once place never ever need to move, I put my coffee mug right next to it, no problem. I can put it next to my keyboard in the keyboard tray and never worry about bumping into stuff

I have one on top of a piano keyboard in my music studio where a regular mouse doesn't work because it needs room to move. i've been hooked on them ever since

mo' better imho
>>
>>52446184
How is a trackball superior to all these? It's an upside down ball mouse. Ball meese are obsolete, aren't they.
>>
>>52446638
>one muscle doesn't need to move wrist
>another muscle must move finger
>>
>>52444037
Actually, even basketball players get it.
It happens when you do the same motion many times... So using a mouse hurting your hand. thats why i only use the keyboard
>>
>>52446723
Top left and top right: both work nicely
>>
>>52448873
Most precise small movements.
Fastest large movements.
Needs very little desk space.
Doesn't need a mouse pad.
Doesn't need a flat surface.
Doesn't need a level surface.
Don't need to pick up and reposition all the time.
Works for absolute coordinates (drawing, digitizer also works well) and relative coordinates (FPS games).
Always has 100% accuracy, even if the desk surface is bad (optical mice).
Has the maximum possible sensitivity (optical sensors).
>>
>>52444251
Hey, thanks for the review! I have the trackball you've placed to the right of it, and it looks like the Elecom is a bit too small for my hand. Might buy one and 3D print a palm rest; I really dislike wireless peripherals. Or maybe get an ergonomic mousepad with the wrist rest, and claw grip it.
>>
File: 81pJpXN1w2L._SL1500_.jpg (140 KB, 1500x1101) Image search: [Google]
81pJpXN1w2L._SL1500_.jpg
140 KB, 1500x1101
These things are amazing for using on your recliner, in your bed or on your couch.

I think on a desktop, most people would be better off fixing their ergonomics before switching to a trackball but for anything else, trackballs are fucking amazing. Ever wanted to play PC games on your couch? Get this fucking thing.
>>
>>52448873
>It's an upside down ball mouse. Ball meese are obsolete, aren't they.
it's built differently.
Ball mice use rollers with encoders to track the movement, their resolution is very limited (by the physical cuts in the encoder) and they stop working when the rollers get dirty.
Modern trackballs use laser sensors directly on the ball, the same as in optical mice, so they don't have the drawbacks of ball mice.
However, I do agree that every trackball made before the optical age is painful to use, as they got dirty a lot faster than ball mice. But that was almost 2 decades ago.
>>
File: 41uc8ssf62L._SY355_.jpg (15 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
41uc8ssf62L._SY355_.jpg
15 KB, 355x355
>>52443862
God tier trackball. Elecom.
>>
File: trackball master race.jpg (103 KB, 1100x619) Image search: [Google]
trackball master race.jpg
103 KB, 1100x619
Daily reminder
>>
>>52443862
Why are they still using that godawful wristrest?
Hopefully this version actually fits.
>>
>>52446184
implying trackball is not just a curved touchpad
>>
>>52450737
implying the Earth is just a DDR pad
>>
>>52444056

I have the wireless version.

It is okay, but the wireless range is shit.

You also need to replace the ball with one from an M570, because the stock ball is shit.
>>
>>52450356
why is there an indian general
>>
>>52450819
diversity
>>
>>52450791
It would make things more awesome.
>>
File: side view.jpg (330 KB, 1920x1035) Image search: [Google]
side view.jpg
330 KB, 1920x1035
>>52448995
it's not as bad as it looks from the top, it's pretty much the same height, just shorter.
If you place anything on the back to support your hand better, or use it with fingertip grip, it's ok. But it's clearly meant for tiny asian hands.
>>
MICE YOU HAVE TO GO BACK
>>
i never had a trackball mouse but i really want to have one. are there any guides on how to pick a good one? i want to put it in front of my keyboard and only use it occasionally because i don't gayme and prefer keyboard shortcuts.
>>
>>52455273
the biggest decision is thumb or finger ball

there's no way to decide without trying yourself

a good starting point is either of logitech's trackballs both cheap and wallet friendly

if you want to skip that and get the best trackball right now, get a cst l-track.

this page will give you a usefull feature comparison
http://www.trackballmouse.org/trackball-comparison/
>>
>>52455273
>thumb one
M 570 unless you want to import from Japan

>Finger ball, cheap tier
Logitech Trackman Marble (no scroll but 4 buttons)
Kensington Orbit with scroll ring (blue ball) ( scroll but only 2 buttons)

>Finger expensive tier
Either kensington Slimblade or Kensington Expert (same mouse, different look)

>Finger super expensive tier
CST trackball

>Godly ergonomics but bad dpi and discontinued over a decade ago so now absurdly expensive tier
Microsoft Trackball Explorer
Logitech Cordless Trackman

>Quite good but you'll have to import tier
Elecom trackballs (thumb or finger type) - you'll also have to buy a blue ball from Logitech M570 and swap it, the default black one from Elecom is no good

>do NOT buy tier
Kensington orbit without scroll
Kensington orbit wireless

>Oh shit nigger what are you doing tier
Adesso iMouse T1 and several different brands offering the same trackball
Any chinese shit
Anything not optical
>>
>>52455651
>Anything not optical
cst uses a laser sensor and it's widely regarded as the best trackball on the market

i don't think the small amount of sensor accel in laser sensor matters for trackballs because you always have some degree of inertia with spinning the ball
>>
>>52455737
By "not optical" i meant the mechanooptical rollers. Laser is optical.
>>
File: double lols.jpg (7 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
double lols.jpg
7 KB, 251x251
non ironically using fagball
>>
>>52455777
oh you mean like on old ball mice or?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-16_19-49-28.png (120 KB, 782x459) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-16_19-49-28.png
120 KB, 782x459
>>52455651
is it true that the battery in the m 570 lasts ~18 months? is 56€ reasonable?
>>
>>52456307
insane battery life, yes.
>>
>>52455900
exactly.
There are still a few with that technology - they're no longer produced, obviously, but still sold.
(There are also a few mechanooptical ones for anti-vandal purposes, but that's a different thing entirely, they're large, heavy and metal)
>>
I'm using a mouse right now, would a thumb or fingers trackball be better for me? I can adjust.
>>
>>52456307
>is it true that the battery in the m 570 lasts ~18 months?
yes. Depending on your usage obviously, but the battery life is great.

>is 56€ reasonable?
Not really, I got mine on Amazon for $20 (+$15 shipping to Europe, so $35 total). You can buy it now for $26.95 + shipping. Even if you're hit with custom fees and vat it'll still be cheaper than 56€
>>
>>52450322
I've looked into getting one, but import fees from Japan to the UK push it to £50+.

Would you say it was worth it?
>>
fuck it, im buying myself a trackball
>>
>>52456913
>literally fell for the meme
>>
>>52456842
Have it sent by cheapest post option and it might slip through the customs.
Also make sure you but XT2 or XT3, the first one (XT1) had tracking issues
>>
>>52456529
Many people say that a thumb trackball is easier to adjust to when coming form mouse, because you're clicking the same way (in finger trackballs you left click with your thumb)
However, I could never get used to it, maybe because my thumbs are too clumsy.
>>
always hated the feel of them. never 'got' it
>>
just ordered my first trackball mouse. it's a Kensington Orbit, did i fuck up?
>>
File: Kensington Orbit.jpg (83 KB, 1000x547) Image search: [Google]
Kensington Orbit.jpg
83 KB, 1000x547
>>52459224
depends.
If it's the one on the left, you fucked up. If it's the one on the right, it's good for the price.
>>
>>52444251
I am using on right now. Idk how you can say the ball is smooth, I find it gets stuck pretty often and is nowhere near as smooth as the logitechs. I also have to use two fingers on the ball to keep it accurate, trying with just one tends to be a pain, but then I am on 1080 and 1440 screens with high speed set to move around quickly.

Using the red logitech ball does overall seem much better.

Also not sure how I like the placement of the left click.

Been using it for over a month or two now though and I am not unhappy, just it feels like for the price the ball should have some bearing in the casing instead of sliding on nubs. Charging that much for cut corners is bullshit.
>>
>>52459247
it's the one on the right. I really hope this will improve my shoulderpain.
>>
>>52459263
then perhaps I've been lucky with mine because the ball on my elecom is much smoother than on my Logitech Cordless Trackman and even than on My kensington Slimblade.
Looks like their quality is not consistent.... Do you have an M570 to swap the black ball for the blue one? It should improve your experience.
I think the left click is in the right place (well, for my hand anyway), but the right click is stupid. The indentation for the right finger should be clickable - as it is now, it's too close to the ball and it gets cramped if I use 2 fingers to control it.
But oh well, I hope they improve it in the next version.
>>
>>52459415
I'm using the red ball with black dots. I used to have a few trackballs with blueballs, will have to look around if I still have them.

I've found if you gently oil the ball with forehead oil or such it helps it move better, but overall it still feels awfully stiff. But then I stopped using trackballs since I was sick of the logitechs not lasting so I have been using laser mice for the past 3-4 years so maybe I am just remembering it being better than it really was.
>>
File: 1422797465040.gif (4 MB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1422797465040.gif
4 MB, 350x350
Hows a trackball for something like CS:GO? pic unrelated
>>
>>52459690
Bad. The only FPS where I've seen people using trackballs efficiently has been TF2 when playing Heavy. I assume any other FPS where you have to do tracking over long distances like that would also see benefit.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.