[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa ge=news_item&px=AMDG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: Vulkan_API_logo.svg.png (17 KB, 640x170) Image search: [Google]
Vulkan_API_logo.svg.png
17 KB, 640x170
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-Vulkan-Driver-Only

>Our Linux Vulkan drivers will only run on the amdgpu kernel driver. We have no plans, on Linux, to support Vulkan on any other driver stack.

AMDPOORFAGS CONFIRMED ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>52443377
BTFO
T
F
O

AMEMED CONFIRMED DEAD
>>
lol sounds horrible.
>>
>>52443377
>linux

No one here cares
>>
Damn, I may have to upgrade from my 7950 sooner than I expected.
Even then, I'll still wait to see if AMDGPU isn't shit for the newer cards.
>>
>>52443377
1. I don't use Linux, don't be a faggot and use W7+ for your gaming needs
2. I have a Fury X, so I don't care :^)
>>
>>52443377
>No other driver stack

Wait what about intel igpu's they where suposedly supported off the bat?
>>
This is bad how? Officially supported drivers that will get open-sourced. Might clear out driver confusion when there's only 1 solid solution covering all bases
>>
>>52443478
Supported experimentally it seems

>>52443510
The only vulkan solution for AMD I think
>>
>>52443532
yeah them good ol open source amd drivers. yum
>>
I would take Michael's word with a grain of salt here. This guy says vulkan is still being discussed internally at AMD.
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/latest-phoronix-articles/845690-amd-s-vulkan-driver-will-only-work-with-the-amdgpu-kernel-driver?p=845698#post845698

Michael basically talked to some PR guy and that's where he got this from.
>>
>>52443582
The open source drivers are stable and quite fast. You cannot say the same for Nvidia's open source driver. When the devs that were wasting their time on catalyst move over to the open source driver the performance and functionality will only improve even further.
>>
I'm on AMDGPU kernel drivers right now and my dick hasn't flown off yet. They work amazing with Gallium 9 for DirectX9 games.
>>
>>52443510
That's AMD's drivers, Intel has their own separate drivers under development and then there's also Valve's open source reference drivers for Intel.
>>
>>52443561
But thats bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hth4u65zfc
It was advertised on igpus!
>>
Didn't AMD specifically say mantle would run on basically every GCN GPU before they gave it to khronos? I can't see why they would suddenly change that plan it would only hurt them and the proliferation of vulkan anyway
>>
>>52443696
Ah i'm really missinformed.
>>
This is kinda a sad story, however if this means the Linux gaming support becomes better in the next years i wouldn't mind to go for a new high end GPU. I still have to dual boot the BotnetOS for some games...
>>
File: Capture.png (49 KB, 610x367) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
49 KB, 610x367
https://twitter.com/grahamsellers/status/688126936648790016
>>
It'd be funny if AMD seriously left year old R9 300 card owners in the cold. And by funny I mean fucked up because I bought an R9 390 last year.
>>
>>52443627
The ramblings of some random faggot on some random faggot forum or the ramblings of some random faggot in some random faggot blog. Yeah we should definitely believe all this gossip.
>>
>>52443834
It does run on every GCN GPU.

If you use the right driver.
>>
>>52444018
That guy works on ATI/AMD radeon drivers
>>
>>52443377
>Vulkan is about to happen
That's what I read
Get your own damn drivers Nvidiots
>>
Guess I'm updating from my 6850 sometime soon after all.
>>
>>52443377
I am confused. Why is this negative for me?
>>
I will always buy Microsoft Windows™ because the future starts now™. Microsoft also pioneers innovative new technologies like DirectX™, Office™, and the highest quality operating system to ever grace computers.
When I boot up with a brand new computer running Microsoft Windows™ with the latest Z chipset powered by Intel™ and latest Nvidia™ graphics, I can enjoy the games the way they where meant to be played™. Microsoft™ also pioneers in the gaming field with its latest Xbox™ console to allow gamers to play on their big screens with family and friends.
Microsoft Windows™ is also very secure. It's the most secure operating system on the planet. It's harden against NSA probes, tested by highly trained and experienced programming engineers to have ever graced this planet. With such innovative security technologies like UAC, Defender, Security Essentials, BitLocker, and Windows™ Firewall you can ensure all your sensitive data is secured and you're safe on the internet. Microsoft™ most advanced, and dare say, the most advance web browser on the market, Edge™, has decoupled addon support, like flash, to ensure maximum user safety when browsing the web. You can ensure Microsoft™ keeps you safe from the NSA.
At this point in time there's really no reasons to consider Linux. I tried once. It caused my Nvidia™ graphics to overheat so much due to its poor quality, novice programmed, open source drivers that it exploded and nearly burnt down my house.
It's quite clear that OPs a Linux shill trying to convince you to settle on something less than the optimal experience with Windows™. Windows™ is the only real way to play games or do anything productive. We've seen that they offer incredible libraries for software developers like Visual Studio and Microsoft C++ Compiler. He is probably too poor to afford the Microsoft Windows™ experience and can not afford to play any games.
Don't be a poor gamer with bad security and no drivers. The Future Starts Now™ with Microsoft Windows™
>>
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/latest-phoronix-articles/845690-amd-s-vulkan-driver-will-only-work-with-the-amdgpu-kernel-driver?p=845730#post845730

>You could do theoretically do vulkan on pre-GCN parts, but it you wouldn't gain much over existing APIs. Pre-GCN hardware does not have independent compute pipes, so compute and graphics could not be submitted asynchronously and executed in parallel. Shader resources are fixed so you can only have a limited number of resources in flight at any given time and you'd have to explicitly bind the resources at execution time. If someone wants to work on vulkan support for older parts, I certainly won't stop you, just don't expect much of a gain compared to older APIs.

Now I want to see this happen. The radeon 5970,6950,6970,6990 are all still good cards, assuming vulkan takes over everything they would get left in the dust. It's kind of a shame really.
>>
>>52444357
>but it you wouldn't gain much over existing APIs.
at least users could play said vulkan based games.

even if they run like shit, but granted, people still using a card from 2009 doesn't mind run games at low settings.
>>
>>52443435
>AMEMED
kek

Wtf is vulkan anyways?
>>
>>52443627
I don't see what they have to discuss, as part of the 300 series that they're selling right now they still have GCN 1.0 and 1.1 cards and I don't really expect that will change for the 400 series.

AMD needs to get their driver team in gear. It took way too long for them to merge the reclocking support for GCN 1.2 hardware into AMDGPU if they're going to switch kernel drivers for the older hardware they should have had that planned out ages ago.
>>
>>52443377
>Slows the site to a halt with overwhelming ads
>Complains about users using adblock

Michael pls. I used to go there almost every day but he made his site too annoying to visit.
>>
>>52444540
Vulkan is an abstraction layer for interfacing with graphical hardware. Basically rather than talking directly to the graphical hardware which would be a fucking nightmare considering all the different hardware designs and configurations out there you talk to this thing which then takes your instructions and converts them into something that would suit the hardware that the user has. This makes your game portable across various (GPU) architectures and configurations.
>>
>>52444540
Its second generation take on the Mantle concept much like Direct3D 12.
>>
>>52443435
Celebrating AMD's demise is bad. Because they were the only thing stopping effective monopolies. Notice how Intel has slowed down.
>>
>>52443377
I think it's fantastic that AMD seems to be doubling down on the open source drivers. Although they're still very immature and don't support pre GCN1.2 yet I have high hopes for the next few years.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.