[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ uses for backups? The Arch wiki names quite a lot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: backup-for-servers.jpg (77 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
backup-for-servers.jpg
77 KB, 1024x1024
What does /g/ uses for backups?
The Arch wiki names quite a lot of tools, but I wonder which one is the best. I don't really need to be able to do bacjups over the network. I used to use Attic but I don't really like having to have attic installed to restore a backup.
>>
>>52437852
git
>>
>>52437923
/thread
>>
>>52437923
>>52438058
Git isn't really suitable for large, binary files though.
>>
>>52437852
raid 0, external HDD with internal HDD set in a enclosure. If one of the drive breaks replace it
>>
>>52437852
QtdSync.
>>
rsync + crontab for automation
>>
>>52438082
Why would you need to backup large binary files?

I only backup my own work.
Rest I can just re-download.
>>
>>52438388
What if your work was to produce large binary files?
>>
Time Machine and Arq to Amazon Cloud Drive.
>>
>>52438388
>Rest I can just re-download.
Not all of us can rely on that.
>>
>>52438467
>what do YOU use?
- I use X
>hurr but that's not what I like OMG he's not using my favorite thing!
>>
>>52438539
>What do you use?
I use X
>That doesn't work well for (use case)
Why do you need to do (use case)? I do (other thing) instead
>Not all of us can do that

I don't see why you feel the need to paint your opposition as a retard when they've pointed out a valid reason that your backup solution might not work for them.
>>
rsync to a spare hdd
>>
rsnapshot
>>
>>52437852
btrfs subvolumes

all-options tar for some purposes
>>
>>52437923
Can git's history be compressed?
>>
i think I'm just gonna get some DVD R's off newegg for now for music and stuffs
>>
>>52437852
I use Deja Dup (which I don't like) to back up my ssd to my data drive. The data drive is rsynched to another hdd. Every once in a while I'll back up my personal work to a usb stick that I carry with me when I leave the house.
>>
>>52438092
>raid 0

wat? don't you mean raid 1? am I missing something?
>>
>>52439719
yeah my mistake
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.