[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/, let's talk about Mutt. I used to use isync/mbsync to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: Mutt.png (12 KB, 949x706) Image search: [Google]
Mutt.png
12 KB, 949x706
/g/, let's talk about Mutt.
I used to use isync/mbsync to fetch my imap folders but now I have to set everything up again and I wonder if there is a better alternative.
Tell me, /g/, what to you use to pull your mails on your computer and why did you chose this one?
>>
I wanted to try mutt, but to many places suggested that is a bit dated. I'm using sup-mua and I'm happy as a [spoiler]mutt[/spoiler]
>>
>>52433578
What advantages does it have over mutt?
I don't really want to install ruby on my computer...
>>
>>52433601
It feels more modern in the way you interact with it and the way you can extend it. I only had brief experience with mutt, so can't help you more.

What's the problem with ruby?
>>
>>52433616
>It feels more modern in the way you interact with it
What does "more modern" mean?

>What's the problem with ruby?
I don't feel like installing a whole interpreter and its libs in order to run a single piece of software.
>>
>>52433645
What is the cost for you to install a whole interpreter?

It has some curses-like selection elements to pick which email address you want to send as. Their approach to threaded conversations is very gmail-like (in a good way, not trying too hard)
>>
I like mutt. It's one of those arcane "fine tune for a year then spend thirty never changing the setup a tiniest bit" type things we have on Unix.
>>
File: old_screenshot_3.png (36 KB, 642x410) Image search: [Google]
old_screenshot_3.png
36 KB, 642x410
>>52433658
>What is the cost for you to install a whole interpreter?
Added overhead when setting up a new computer. Longer update times (my internet connection is quite shitty).

>threaded conversations
Is pic related what you're talking about?

>>52433684
Do you use it? If so, what do you use to fetch your emails?
>>
>>52433703
I see

Sort of, I know mutt has them. But it's quite subtle how less antique they feel in sup.
>>
Welp, looks like /g/ doesn't use mutt anymore.
>>
i use mutt. there is no better alternative because no one wants to take on the challenge of making a client because email is a clusterfuck. mutt has a lot of room for improvement, too. it would be nice to see a neomutt project eventually if we can't get a replacement.
>>
>>52434111
What do you use to fetch your emails? Mutt's default imap implementation or something else?
>>
>>52434131
msmtp/ the default.
>>
>>52434151
You don't use multiple mail accounts, do you?
>>
>>52434177
macro index,pager g1 '<sync-mailbox><enter-command>source ~/.mutt/ac1 <enter><change-folder>!<enter>'
macro index,pager g2 '<sync-mailbox><enter-command>source ~/.mutt/ac2 <enter><change-folder>!<enter>'
macro index,pager g3 '<sync-mailbox><enter-command>source ~/.mutt/ac3 <enter><change-folder>!<enter>'
macro index,pager g4 '<sync-mailbox><enter-command>source ~/.mutt/ac4 <enter><change-folder>!<enter>'
macro index,pager g5 '<sync-mailbox><enter-command>source ~/.mutt/ac4 <enter><change-folder>!<enter>'
>>
>>52434197
Ah, yeah, I know this trick. I do not find it very elegant. Thanks, though.
>>
I use fdm to fetch mails through pop to a single mbox file (which I'm syncing across computers with unison (along with the rest of my personal files)
And msmtp to act as sendmail.
>>
>>52434151
>>52434252
Why don't you use mutt's default smtp implementation? I find it efficient enough.
>>
>>52434252
and here's my mutt
>>
>>52434386
Transparent background terminal may be considered nice around here but I find it impractical as fuck.
>>
File: 1440392430201.jpg (92 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1440392430201.jpg
92 KB, 1280x720
>>52434386
>>
>>52434386
Nice star trek collection there
>>
>>52434383
IIRC I had some problems with the weird configuration the SMTP server of my uni requires.
But I've set that stuff years ago and I don't really remember why.

>>52434415
I like it because it makes the terminal window feel less obtrusive.
>>
File: mhcover.jpg (17 KB, 190x250) Image search: [Google]
mhcover.jpg
17 KB, 190x250
I use fetchmail to get mail from pop and inject it with local sendmail-procmail then retrieve it with mmh client. I send outgoing mail with my local sendmail smarthost config.
>>
On a similiar note - anybody here uses offlineimap and can help me figure out how to push sent messages back to server?
>>
>>52433703
I have some POP3 setup IIRC. The mail spool is on the server next to it. I run mutt over ssh.
>>
I use Alpine, mostly because it's easy as sin to set up and I'm used to it.

I think there are some security flaws though? Don't remember, don't really care. Skiddos can snoop all the university event announcements and Oracle(R) Preferred Shill(TM) spam they want.
>>
>>52434386
I like transparency but icons on desktop ruin it
>>
>>52434415
>may be considered nice around here
ehhh
You ever been to a desktop thread? I think the age of liking transparent terminals is long past
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.