[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just found out that I had shitty eye sight. now that I have glasses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 5
File: my glass.jpg (66 KB, 800x420) Image search: [Google]
my glass.jpg
66 KB, 800x420
Just found out that I had shitty eye sight.
now that I have glasses for the first time, I enjoy reading so much more.
and its odd to say but the trees, the dirt, hell even cement looks amazing now.

glasses are technology. how long did it take for you to find out you needed glasses and what was it like to get them?

I am 22 and just got mine, 20/40 20/35 vision
>>
I've had glasses since the third grade. Took me almost half a year before I wore them in school. Half of it was because I thought I didn't really need them and half because I was a bit scared people would tease me for them but no one did and most of the other students thought they were cool. Since then I've worn glasses/contacts for practically everything except sleeping. Life's just so much more fun when you can see what's going on around you.
>>
>>52430164
I got mine at 28. My eyesight wasn't always terrible, so I assume I ruined it by spending so much time staring at computer monitors. I didn't really realise just how bad it'd gotten though. The eye test really opened my butt to just how much I was missing.

I still find wearing the glasses kind of irritating though. I've also never worn them outside the house, because they look retarded as fuck. I have a pair of prescription sunglasses too that I wear when I can get away with it, but I can generally see well enough to get by without them outside. As long as people don't ask me to read signs and stuff anyway.
>>
I've had glasses since 1st grade, shit sucks and I feel bad for my eyes.
>>
I had glasses from when I was 13 to about a year ago when I got lasik.
>>
I've had shitty eyes and glasses/contacts since I was 12 or so. After years of getting worse, my prescription went from -4.0 to -3.75, which was weird.

I'm really waiting for the prescription to be stable for a few years so I can get Lasik
>>
I got mine in 3rd grade and had the same experience. Never stopped being fascinated by all kinds of telescopes and optics.
>>
>>52430362
I heard lasik is starting to hit pretty big and is getting cheap.
I love tech.
>>
I got mine when I was 20.
I can see things that are close to me clearly but I went back to school and suddenly noticed text on the blackboard was hard to read.
It was like replacing a TV. Suddenly you notice how bad it was.
>>
-7.5 prescription in each eye.
Learned I needed glasses when I told my mom I couldn't see the chalk board in first grade. Did not mention that it was because this gigantic kid sat in front of me. Got eyes checked and got glasses. Eyes got worse and worse until leveling out here.
Blame glasses for making vision worse.
>>
On the third or fourth grade I started noticing that I couldn't after a while of reading focus on the clock very fast. With time, it got slower and slower. I was fifteen when I couldn't anymore see properly to the board from the back of the classroom. I think the moment I realised I needed glasses was when I found out the clocks in the school had these little minute dots I hadn't ever noticed.
>>
>>52430164
i remember the first time i wore glasses too. tree leaves looked so crisp
>>
>>52430164
I've been wearing glasses as long as I remember but a few years ago I went and got an eye check (belatedly) and found that my eyes had changed again, got new glasses and basically had that same experience.

What was scarier was trying my old glasses after a couple of weeks, it was blurry as fuck.
>>
Found out three months ago. I worked at a medical equipment repair company for a year in the endoscopy department. This meant I spent the day glued to a microscope looking at tiny lenses for defects. I gained the novel ability to smoothly change my eyes focus at will, but apparently that's not good for your eyes.
>>
I had them from a very young age, but around the time I hit 10 or so I thought my eyesight had corrected itself and stopped wearing them. Really wish I hadn't, because I think my eyesight is becoming worse as of late. May end up wearing them again.
>>
File: Sad.gif (1 MB, 400x232) Image search: [Google]
Sad.gif
1 MB, 400x232
Tfw slowly going blind and stuck with contacts rest of my life. Currently 22 and may be completely blind by 30, I think the contacts are making my eyes worse. Glasses do not work
>>
>take contacts out
>everything looks like aXXo rip

life is suffering ;_;
>>
I've spent all my free time staring at a screen/tv since I was young.

My eyesight is perfectly fine and I've never needed contacts or glasses. I've aced every eye exam I've ever been given.
It just werks
>>
>>52430717
>aced every eye exam
wow, you must have studied really hard
>>
>>52430734
I didn't have to.
I was able to see my way through the tests no problem.
>>
>>52430666
Aw fuck anon, I feel for you. Best of luck I can't imagine the thought of losing my sight completely in the near future
>>
>>52430747
i believe he was attempting humor, anon
>>
>>52430164
I can see just fine , but i got headaches till i got glasses.

I have hypermethropy on my right eye and astigmatism on my left eye , so things like focusing on a small font or playing shitty fos like farcry 3 give me a really bad time without glasses.

Dude on reddit gave me a clue when i mentioned the headaches and he was right, if you have the same problem talk with your optometrist, vision tests don't really test that shit.
>>
>>52430780
Brah...
>>
I'm 19 and my vision sucks but I really don't want to wear glasses. Are contact lenses a viable option?
>>
>>52430164
yeah i kinda know that feel op. i'm far sighted, but just got some minor corrective reading glasses last month.

feelsgoodman.jpg

25 btw
>>
I was 17. It was mindblowing at the time. I haven't gotten another eye test in a number of years and I can still read smaller fonts at arm's length so I don't bother wearing them often.
>>
>>52430666
nice demon trips

btw, i think the reading glasses i got are making my eyes weaker too. mixed feels because they slowly seem to be less effective, and i've only had them a month.

i might just try to do some eye strengthening exercises
>>
>>52430527
So you were working on used anuscams?
>>
>>52430164
I was in middle school.
I didn't like it because it changed my depth perception and make things look more "3D" which made me uncomfortable.

When I was like 16 I stopped being retarded and realized I NEEDED glasses because it really fucking sucked without them.

First time I put on my new prescription it was night time and the vivid colors of the city made me feel like I took a hit of acid.
>>
I guess I fucked my eyesight playing an MMO over summer in highschool. Fuck Blizzard. I didn't realize how blind I was until I could actually see. My brain compensated a lot for me since I knew what things were supposed to look like but now if I go without glasses, I can't see for shit.

Requiring glasses makes getting quality sunglasses so much more difficult and expensive. Since I lost my sunglasses to the pacific, I have a pair of special edition iron man 3D glasses in my car with a uv filter taped to the inside that I use occasionally over my glasses. I also have a pair of big sunglasses with some old lenses taped to the inside and that works a lot better than the iron man ones. Also, certain headsets and headphones suck ass.
>>
I was born with glasses
>>
>>52431942
That had to have been uncomfortable for everyone involved.

Did you have to get them surgically removed or are you like that guy from deus ex?
>>
>>52431957
No I just held them up and was "can I wipe these ? i was just born"
>>
I got mine sometime near the end of elementary school, I was sitting t the table eating dinner with my dad when he asked me to tell him the score of the basketball game on the tv across the room. When I couldn't tell him for 30 seconds or so because I couldn't read it, even when squinting, he took me to see the doctor. Thankfully, my eyes aren't too bad and seem to have stabilized.
>>
You all merely adopted bad eyesight. I was born with it, moulded by it. I didn't wear glasses until I was already a man. By then they were nothing to me but blinding.
>>
>>52430164
>20/40 20/35

I don't wear glasses how bad is that?
>>
>>52432203
Just under legal driving standards for ausfalya land
>>
been wearing glasses since 7, contacts since 16

only wear contacts when I'm going out. wish I could wear them more often but dry eyes
>>
When i was 3 i found out i had like 20/400 eye sight
>>
I definitely need glasses, haven't had an eye test for 4 years or so, last test I had they said I was borderline on needing them and things have only got worse.

If I put on my GFs glasses which probably aren't right for me anyway, it's like going from 480p to 1080p instantly.

The thing is, when I wake up in the morning my eye sight is a LOT better and I think it's fine. It progressively gets worse throughout the day. I sit in front of a computer screen all day at work and at home, I do take breaks but doesn't seem to do enough. I'm concerned that if I do get glasses it will make my eyes adjust to being bad and they will get worse without glasses as I adjust to having glasses on all the time, so not sure wat do?

What do other glasses wearing bro's suggest here?
>>
File: 1451751832808.png (17 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1451751832808.png
17 KB, 418x359
>>52430666
I'm right there with you broseph mandela...my eyes are supposed to start deteriorating around my late 30s, I'm 22....
>>
>>52433180
Why are your eyes deteriorating? Is that hereditary?
>>
>>52430387
>>52430435

It happens and gets worse until your mid 20s.
>>
>>52433249
Lasik essentially ruined it for me. My vision was going to be almost gone at the age of 50 anyway so it was always in the cards for me anyways but I got approved for lasik as soon as I was 21 and it was a 50/50 chance of my eyesight lasting longer or deteriorating faster and I obviously got the latter so yeah it's been almost 2 years since my surgery and I'm already wearing glasses again...sorry for the short story
>>
>>52430232
oh god contacts are so terrible, I always had to at least try twice before they stuck to my eye right, I think my eyes are drier than normal

never wore them in 4 years or so
>>
I'm 19 and got my first pair when I was 17. I have astigmatism in both of my eyes but I never knew. My eyesight isn't terrible without em, but I can see farther and in more detail when I wear them. Shit's like seeing HD for the first time.
>>
>tfw better than 20/20 vision
>look really good in glasses
>im not a fucking wanker so I won't wear glasses I don't need
if only I was a council worker or something I could wear my sunglasses all day instead of the 15minute drive to and from work.
>>
I'm 23 got my glasses when I was 8/9 years old.
My vision is stable, it doesn't get worse, and doesn't get better. I don't really care about glasses, desu, when I used contacts I had the feeling I were wandering naked.
>>
>>52433501

although in the morning it takes about 2 hours before i can read print in a newspaper or on my phone, is that a thing?
>>
>>52430164
I have just been told by my optician that I will need glasses to legally drive in about 2 years.
I bought a pair based on the prescription now as he recommended I did and whilst my eyes are not that bad they deffo bring distant objects in to focus and make driving a bit better.
I used them during a presentation last week and they helped.

I look like a fucking idiot in glasses though.
>>
>>52433397
Are u just situational or is that for everyone
>>
I always needed glasses, but I was to vain to wear them. So I only started wearing them around 23 years old. I hated it.
I couldn't really see the face of the person in front of me.

Now I lasered my eyes at 29. My eyes are still recovering, but it's great to be free of glasses. Would I recommend other people to laser their eyes? Not really, because it's not risk free. Dry eyes can be a serious issue that can ruin your life. But if you hate it as much as I do it's worth it.
>>
>>52433447
I've never really had problems with contacts. I still prefer wearing glasses, partly because I think I look better with them and partly so I don't have to worry about contacts, but some of the sports I do require contacts so I use them whenever doing those sports. One of the reasons why I've never really had problems with contacts might be because I've always used single day lenses.
>>
>>52434102

laser is a waste of time and money, your eye sight is going to degrade and change regardless.
>>
40, after my wife was murdered and i started pc gaming really really frequently. Fuck this world.
>>
>>52430851
>Dude on reddit
Leave.
>>
>>52434304
F
>>
>>52432071
I love Seinfeld, I w atched that episode last night
>>
>>52434716
>muh sekrit xlub
>>
>>52434716
>pretending that half of /g/ doesn't use Reddit
Leave.
>>
>>52430435

holy fuck get lasik
>>
>get lasik 3 years ago
>go from -6 to perfect to -1
>get prk this month
>can see into people's souls now

Do prk if you get the surgery. The recovery is shitty but Lasik is too unpredicatble.
>>
>>52430164
>needing glasses
Bet you're that one folk that also started to bald early 20s and is short of stature.
>>
>>52435487
Lots of people other than bald manlets wear glasses.

Have you ever been outside?
>>
>>52430164
I've had glasses since I was like 7
>tfw nearsighted as fuck
>>
>>52430164
>tfw chad
>tfw 6'1"
>tfw perfect eyes
>tfw not balding
You cucks need to off yourselves of the gene pool tbqh senpai
>>
>>52433077
>If I put on my GFs glasses which probably aren't right for me anyway, it's like going from 480p to 1080p instantly.

Same thing for me and my cousins glasses, I had no idea how bad my eyesight had gotten.

I had reading glasses in school but after digging them out of the junk draw its apparent that not wearing them has made everything worse.
>>
>>52435804
What are you 12? Because that's when most people grow out of the four-eyes teasing stage.
>>
>tfw -11 in each eye
>with astigmatism
got new glasses a couple days ago and the lenses are thick as fuck

also trying out contacts and everything looks xboxhuge compared to glasses

i should probably look into surgery
>>
Wore glasses from the age of fifteen to twenty, then went to contacts when I started riding a motorbike to work. Had LASEK in 2010 at the age of twenty-three in one eye - it smells like burning hair fyi - and I've had specs again for the last two months as my other eye's deteriorated since.

Your eyes don't seriously stop changing until your mid- to late-thirties, and you'll invariably need vision correction once you're *old* old anyway. Just do the sums, factor in convenience, and go with what fits you.

The reason your vision 'upgrades' when you get a new prescription is because your depth perception increases, and your eyes have to do less work when focussing. No, looking at a screen in itself won't ruin your eyes, but for fuck's sake look away and focus on something far away for a moment every so often.
>>
Had them since I was 2. Ditched them when I became 15 and used them sparingly until I lost them while on LSD a couple weeks ago. Now I really only need them when drunk or tired, otherwise I just focus my eyes to see.
>>
>>52433581
>I look like a fucking idiot in glasses though.
It's about fitting the shape to your face, unless you're a bog monster or something to begin with: I've got a strong jaw and a 0-shaped head, so it's bog standard rounded rectangles for me.

Most online places these days let you borrow-order a few pairs for free with glass/dummy lenses, so you can get opinions and wear the frames for a while. No pressure from salespeople (thx Boots thx Vision Express). Bongs, punch your prescription into glassesdirect as they're really really good value.
>>
First prescribed glasses in 5th grade after taking some vision test the school required. I think it was bullshit since I could see fine, I just couldn't hold focus on the shapes in this arbitrary machine. Of course I didn't wear them.

When I went to an independent eye doctor years later he said my old prescription wasn't even close and I got another pair. Didn't start wearing them full time until around high school where I did actually need them to see.

Somewhere along the line I have developed poor night vision: glares around lights. I have seen two ornithologists, and they both merely said my eyes are healthy but that I should use eye drops. The fuck does that do? Nothing.

I want to get surgery, but I'm afraid if I do I'll be stuck with the poor night vision, or Lasik would make it even worse, not to mention dry eyes if I already have that. At least if I stick with glasses I can try to see if any lens coatings would help.
>>
File: 1435242466398.gif (108 KB, 484x430) Image search: [Google]
1435242466398.gif
108 KB, 484x430
>Glasses since Kindergarten
Annoying but you wear them for so long there a part of you,one of the reasons I count deal with contacts. I don't even feel them on my face and I kinda feel Iv been looking through through a glass window most of my life.
>>
>>52437544
eye surgeries just fuck your eye up, don't do them, unless you REALLY need them.

like you are going blind and it can fix your eyes.
>>
>>52437635
>eye surgeries just fuck your eye up
well like any surgery you need recuperation time and re-training afterwards

it's not like *zap* *zap* *sizzle* DING, PERFECT VISION FOREVER AND EVER
>>
>>52437683
I mean if your eyes are not deteriorating fast, and you are not doing surgery because it is a must, things do improve later on.

Btw I've got no glasses, never had one, but my eyesight is getting worse - so I noticed. gg, wp.
>>
ocular implants when
>>
>>52437703
What improves, medical technology?
>>
>>52437723
imagine everything bad and horrible about mobile phones, only permanently smooshed into one of your basic, primal senses
>>
I renewed my driver's license the other day and found out my left eye's vision is slightly blurry, right eye is perfect.

It's nothing that bothers me in real life, I can see pretty sharp, don't need glasses for driving either, but I'd really like perfect vision. Thing is, glasses seem like such a hassle. Carrying yet another thing around, being careful they don't break or scratch, cleaning them and shit. No fucking way.
>>
>>52430164
>shit vision since I was 12
>refuse to use glasses because I'm retarded
>be 18, vision blurry as fuck, can barely see my shitty font rendering
>still refuse to use glasses
>try to get drivers license
>vision test required
>fuck it
>get contacts
>realize how shitty my vision was
>won't stop using them now
>>
>>52437836
your eyesight.
>>
>>52437898
How exactly does eyesight improve with age?
>>
>>52439905
Might try contacts soon familams. Been wearing glasses entire life since about 8 y/o. Lately dust and scratches have been building up all the time on the lenses and it's doing my nut in. Also might help to get rid of the nerdy-mcnerd image wearing spectacles gives you.
>>
i don't understand why i need to wear the fold-out jew on my face for driving when i can see the vehicles, just not read their license plates worth a shit

they just want me to ruin my eyesight from wearing them
>>
>>52434064
That's pretty much for anyone that gets lasik
>>
It's obvious that glasses will make everything seem better if you have imperfect vision. Contacts on the other hand are goaec (God of all eye care), just google up contacts vs glasses. Only downside is you need like a month before you can put them in and take them out without worrying about poking out your eye, and if you got dry eyes you need to blink more, or use artificial tears, or else it starts getting foggy. And you can't obviously put them in/take them out as fast as you can just put on/take off glasses. All in all, with contacts you'll probably need to wake up at most 5 minutes earlier, and take them out before you go to bed. Or you can get extended wear contacts, but because you don't take them out everyday, you won't get used to taking them out and putting them in.
>>
File: holy raid batman.jpg (236 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
holy raid batman.jpg
236 KB, 1024x768
needed glasses since I was 14 didn't get them until I turned 21. my dad couldn't afford them until I moved out and got them my self, its been about a year and I think I need a new prescription because shit is not as sharp as it used to be
>>
>>52430527
I can do that too anon, it's kind of nice to know I have control over something that most others don't. Can you make like a storm noise that only you can hear too? I can also widen my nostrils, narrow/widen my field of view and slightly move my ears.
>>
>>52430164
glasses are shit, mate. contacts are like the real thing. you won't be able to go back to glasses imo.
>>
>>52437683
Thats not the point. It degrades within 5 years leaving you with much worse vision.
>>
>>52435387
>Pretending 4chan isnt the same three fags shitposting over and over

Leave.
>>
>>52431932
>My brain compensated a lot for me since I knew what things were supposed to look like but now if I go without glasses, I can't see for shit.

So much this. They told me I needed glasses in 6th grade but I didn't start wearing them until my senior year in high school.

Up until then I just compensated for my really shit vision by memorizing what people's "blobs" looked like.
>>
>>52430164
I find that looking at my phone from close by (watching youtube/animuh) with glasses can be a little uncomfortable at times. Contacts also give you your entire fov, though you'll get used to missing a little of it, so they are objectively superior. Putting them in is hard for the first month (seemingly impossible at first) but you'll get the hang of it quickly. the fact that you it's slightly more of an effort than jusy putting glasses on your face is a slight disadvantage I guess, but people won't have to get used to your new look which could be worsened because glasses generally look bad. you also don't have to worry about rain/hot drinks. nor literally dying from pain if someone hits your glasses. they are cheaper (if you don't break them) admittedly. it's mainly the looks though. bear in mind everyone with contacts also owns a pair of glasses.

get soft contacts though, since you're 22 they shouldn't have any disadvantages. hard ones can be very tough to get properly shaped if you're unlucky. someone remind me why I type long posts on my phone again please
>>
>>52440968
You're writing long posts because the subject is obviously important to you.

I noticed a weird thing with putting on and taking off contacts. I never really had much problem with putting them on and taking them off. But when I started I needed a mirror and I had to hold my both eyelids open. Now even if there happens to be a mirror I avoid using it since it would just confuse me more and just open my eyes wide open instead of having to hold them open.
>>
>>52441182
I guess that makes sense indeed

Yeah same for me, at some point it became really trivial. Doing it one handed and just keeping your eyes open throughout it really only works because you've learnt to negate the reflex, makes sense actually thinking about it like that why people new to them struggle so much (I know I did)
>>
Fuck yeah a fresh pair of glasses are the best. It's like a whole new world.
I'm 22 I've had glasses since childhood.
There has been extended times where I have gone with a shit pair or no glasses so the feeling of getting prescribed is amazing. 20/15 both eyes with my current rx.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.