[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the "most free" Linux distro? Gentoo is just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: trisquel.png (3 KB, 90x86) Image search: [Google]
trisquel.png
3 KB, 90x86
What is the "most free" Linux distro?

Gentoo is just a meme and isn't even recognized by the FSF or GNU Project.

I can't decide between Trisquel and gNewSense.

Also, the distro has to be active in development.
>>
File: 1369922453088.gif (2 MB, 350x258) Image search: [Google]
1369922453088.gif
2 MB, 350x258
Sorry senpai, i use my computer to get shit done, not to circlejerk about muh FSF approved crap.
>>
>>52428413
...which is why I run Debian on my main laptop and Windows 10 on my desktop.

But the question remains: What do you think is the most free Linux distro?

I wasn't asking you to use it, nor was I saying that I was going to.
>>
I bought this laptop with Trisquel 7 preinstalled, now I spend more time on a Parabola live USB I might wind up installing to my HDD. It's unfortunately not a 100% libre laptop, but it's from a manufacturer which fully supports the free software movement (Thinkpenguin).
>>
>>52428456
Oh yeah, ThinkPenguin has some nice products. They really need to improve their website design though...

Did you not like Trisquel? What was wrong with it, just not enough functionality with the libre software?
>>
>>52428335
http://freeslack.net/
>>
Gentoo is "free". It's just not GNU/Gentoo so he just had to be a sperg about something being functional.
>>
Well, I use Arch so if I had to choose one I'd probably go with Parabola
>>
>>52428486
Trisquel was nice, but the software was outdated too much for me, and especially Mumble was maxing one of my cores out
I'm not 100% sure why but I think it had something to do with the openssl version, but after fixing it for a while it just broke.
The advantage Trisquel had was just werking, whereas Parabola required ricing to get all the neat functionality Trisquel had out of the box.
I primarily started playing with Parabola as my playing around/ricing OS, but I found myself on it more and more and on my "main" OS less and less.
Thinkpenguin does install what OS/DE you ask for if you specify when you order, even though I went for the default (Trisquel 7, because I visited through libre.thinkpenguin.com ; otherwise, it defaults to Ubuntu).
>>
>>52428621
Does Parabola generally have newer, more up-to-date packages than Trisquel?

I'm curious as to why the FSF hasn't added Parabola to their list of approved distros, or at least mentioned it somewhere on their website. Seems like an obvious one to add.
>>
>>52428717
It's based off of Arch and has the most up to date packages. It is to Arch what Trisquel is to Ubuntu.

They actually do endorse Parabola on this page: https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
>>
>>52428806
Oh, my eyes must have skipped over it earlier, my bad.

I'll have to try it out, I think I might install it tonight and then maybe try out Trisquel on another occasion. Being a Debian user historically, it will be quite the adventure.
>>
>>52428883
Good luck, senpai. Hope it goes as smoothly for you as it did for me.
>>
>>52428438
Why ask then dipshit
>>
>>52429466
Have you never been curious about something before? Are you that content with life that you've never had a question about something before? What a sad life to live, I feel bad for you.
>>
>>52429720
Suck my dicklette fuccboi
>>
File: BfAvcFG.gif (698 KB, 200x113) Image search: [Google]
BfAvcFG.gif
698 KB, 200x113
>>52429791
wow that was some nice trolling well executed 10/10 good job my friend
>>
Wibdiws 10 is free if you have wibdiws 7 or 8 already
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.