[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lightbulbs are technology too
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: leld.jpg (737 KB, 1920x3840) Image search: [Google]
leld.jpg
737 KB, 1920x3840
>it's $current_Year
>still using CFLs
>buy a two-pack of master race LEDs from ebay for $12
>arrive 3 weeks later in a flimsy carboard box jammed into a jiffy envelope
>one of the domes has popped off
>take a peek inside
>mfw

Is this shit gonna burn my house down or what? Should I use them at all long term?

To be fair they work and the light quality is light years ahead of any brand or knockoff CFLs I had before.
>>
you questioning the work of professional electronic engineers?
>>
>>52426496
Good to hear, anon.

>will they burn down my house?

Probably not. Most LEDs are too cool temperature wise to start a fire. There's nothing in that image suggesting anything poisonous or dangerous, unlike CFLs/broken incandescent.

Enjoy your lightbulbs, OP.
>>
>>52426496
That chinkshit is going to flicker and burn your house down. Get a Phillips bulb.
>>
>>52426496
That's literally all that's needed for LEDs to pump out a _lot_ of light.

PCB at least doesn't look like cardboard, so eh.
>>
>>52426538
That's good to know. Admittedly I bought those as a trial only to see if the improvement in quality was worth it, but even then I expected something a little more sophisticated.

>>52426542
>>52426568
To flip the question around, do Phillips or other real brands have anything technology-wise to make them superior to my shitbulbs? Like some protective circuits, DC converter or whatnot?

I know next to jack shit about electronics, but seeing essentially 220V AC soldered directly to a PCB makes me feel fucking uneasy somehow.
>>
>>52426644
Yes they do. Cheap LED bulbs have 120hz flicker and can cause headaches and eyestrain, even if you can't see it. If you point your cell phone camera at the bulb you might be able to see it.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (25 KB, 499x321) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
25 KB, 499x321
>>52426644
so that piece of shit lightbulb is probably barely putting out 15w equivalent(to a standard incandescent)

go pick up a single ~60-100w equiv LED bulb from any reputable manufacturer and you'll notice the difference
those bulbs are expensive not only due to >>52426675
but also the heat sink
while LED's convert less electricity to heat, they still put out enough heat to require heavy heatsinks when at higher wattages
>>
>>52426784
Also a good point. Without proper cooling they dim quickly. I installed a bunch of those $15 LED strips 2 years ago and they're already half as bright as when they were new.
>>
>>52426644

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6DDFRBrSas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hliHBeC1sco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWKAub54sLU
>>
File: 1446739951724.jpg (99 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1446739951724.jpg
99 KB, 540x960
>>52426496
>measuring time with light years
hold me /g/irls!
>>
>>52426496
>$current_Year

>current
>_
>Year
>>
>>52426496
Not going to burn anything down, but if you plan on putting them anywhere that isn't a porch or a closet, you should spring for something that has a remote phosphor; especially if you want that comfy incandescent feel.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.