[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>gaming laptops are hated because they're overpriced
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: 2b0a3786_LANDOBAcklight-2.jpg (125 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
2b0a3786_LANDOBAcklight-2.jpg
125 KB, 1000x667
>gaming laptops are hated because they're overpriced
>desktops are not portable

Why isn't anyone on this board making these kind of suitcase PCs? They cost the same as desktops, and are portable (a bit heavy although). There are tons of guides of the internet
>>
No good places to plug them in
>>
>>52418236
Well you use gaming laptops next to sockets to…
>>
>>52418222
maybe you should consider growing up
>>
>>52418259
I bet you drink don't laugh at fart jokes to look grown up.
What's wrong with wanting a cheap powerful machine?
>>
>>52418222
Where would I take it? I would prefer to be comfy at home.
>>
>>52418222
>gaming laptops are hated
gaming laptops are only hated on /g/. Your average normie would rather buy gaming laptop than something like what you posted. You make money on normies, not on /g/entoomen. Here is your answer tl;dr it would flop.
>>
>>52418369
No I meant for personal use
>>
>>52418222
I'm not so addicted to video games that I feel like I must have access to them at all times.
>>
>>52418461
Hey neither am I, I just want a powerful device that's portable to. Yes I'm actually addicted to processing power
>>
File: niceautism.png (584 KB, 876x956) Image search: [Google]
niceautism.png
584 KB, 876x956
>>52418222
You'd look like the biggest autist in the world lugging that thing around. Imagine sitting by some neckbeard with his massive "portable PC" exploding just from the sound of the fans.
>>
>>52418524
What the fuck do you need a desktop grade processor or GPU for while you're on the go? Any rendering or heavy shit would be better done over Remote Desktop to a home workstation.

So again, what the fuck do you need that much power for that isn't gayming?
>>
>>52418559
How would be it any different from carrying a larger suitcase? Carrying a suitcase is autistic? Since when? Nobody's saying it's made to be 100% portable, it's like a middle ground between the portability of laptops and the processing power of desktop

>>52418611
There are things people don't need but want anyway, this is one of them
>>
>>52418222
Gaming laptops are hated
Laptops are not
>>
>>52418710
So then get a cheap netbook and remote to a home machine. There is nothing you need a portable workstation for that isn't gayming. Like unless you're one of Linus Shill Tips editors who went with him to CES. Even then you're much better off just getting one of the desktop 6700k laptops that are out there for that purpose.

Again, it's obvious you only want this thing for gayming.
>>
>>52418312
Fart jokes are simply not funny 99% of the time.
>>
Because screwing stuff into a case is a lot easier than fabricating your own case.
>>
File: 1402786208864.png (380 KB, 530x590) Image search: [Google]
1402786208864.png
380 KB, 530x590
They look really weird and clunky. A mini-itx build is a better solution imho.
>>
>>52418756
Try to understand this feeling
>oh man this is so cool I made this! Fuck yeah!

>>52418784
>>52418799
But then they won't be portable. That's losing the whole point of this build

>>52418756
And what if I do want this for gaming? Is that wrong somehow?
>>
>>52418836
I'm just telling you why people don't do it. The college kiddies who have gaming laptops are from well off families anyway, so they're going to care more about their gaymen cred than if their system is actually good or not.
See: All those normies who buy prebuilt gaming computers with a high end i7 and midrange GPU.
>>
>>52418836
Make something that's actually practical and not retarded then.

>being enough of an Autist that you need vidya with you at all times.
>>
File: 1441289402234.png (215 KB, 540x584) Image search: [Google]
1441289402234.png
215 KB, 540x584
>>52418836
And OP's abomination is? You also need to plug that thing into a socket to use it unless you somehow are fine with lugging around a car battery plus an inverter.

A mini-itx build is small, compact and looks nicer.
>>
>>52418836
ahh fuck yeah I made an ugly and heavy "luggable" and now I can play video games in public... freakign epic...
>>
>>52418559
I think those kinds of "suitcase PCs" are meant to be carried to LAN parties etc.

>inb4 LAN parties are autism
>>
>>52418859
No it's alright, I understand that

>>52418866
I'm going to add a lot of stuff to it to make it work, maybe then I'll patent this shit or something. I plan on adding an atmega8 to the build once it's done, and then measuring all the temperature across various components using LM35 ICs. Not to mention auto thermal shutdown if it gets too hot.

>>52418941
A suitcase, even if it weighs 20 pounds is still considered portable

>>52418943
Do you think I'll be playing video games on it or something and that too in public like when sitting in a cafe? Nope, it will be portable just so that I can carry it to places.

>>52419032
Exactly!
>>
>>52418611

mobile video editing.
>>
>>52419042
I wish I was dumb enough to get this excited about a desktop in a suitcase. It seems fun.
>>
>>52419081
You realise most higher end laptops will facilitate this, right?
>>
>>52419161
That's where I fell too, you see I believed the same as you "high end laptops are good"
After buying a Dell latitude, it broke on me mere months after the purchase, what happened? The GPU failed. I had to get the mobo replaced, then it failed yet again because of a GPU failure. This time I got fed up and bought an elitebook. It worked fine for a year, but then it too failed. The problem? Failed GPU. I was done with laptops right at that moment, no laptop is "good" they're just better. No laptop will last 5 years without a major part replacement, but a desktop will work for 7+ years without any maintenance, that's why I want a mobile desktop
Laptop parts are shit of the highest degree
>>
>>52419229
My current laptop has Intel HD graphics which is good enough for most purposes but I want more
>>
>>52418222
Why the fuck would i buy a suitecase full of bricks that canr even be used as a suitcase?
>>
>>52419161
not like a high powered desktop with multiple graphics cards could. which you could build into a suitcase workstation like this.
>>
>>52419249
You make them anon, you can't buy them, nobody manufactures them. It's a diy thing

>http://m.instructables.com/id/Briefcase-PC/
>>
It seems quite useful for LAN parties, but where would you put the keyboard? You'd need to make it so that the screen turns 180 degrees so you can put your keyboard somewhere
>>
what a useless fucking invention
kill yourself OP
>>
>>52418222
>late 2003
>LAN party at Jimmy's house
>dad drops me and my PC at Jimmy's house
>fuck forgot power cable
>call dad, he brings the cable
>tug my tower into his room
>other friends are there too
>assemble my PC whole we decide what to play
>play games
>time to go home
>call dad
>disassemble ask the connections, put everything in the car
>go home

LAN parties kinda sucked to say up but boy were they fun
>>
>>52419277
Why the fuck would i want a briefcase sized laptop?

Id sooner buy a 3d printer and print my own laptop sized case
>>
>>52419229
Should have gotten a MBP :^)

Anyway, who cares if it needs maintenance, it's covered as standard with the warranty on those machines.

>>52419254
Editing video isn't something enormously demanding. Rendering on the other hand... but that's not something you should be doing on a laptop.
>>
>>52418386
What?
How does that change anything
>>
>>52419494
The problem is not maintenance but reliability. When you press the power button you expect it to power up, if it fails to do that, it's unreliable. Now I might be on the autistic spectrum somewhere but I absolutely hate unreliable tech. I also happen to hate underpowered tech but that's bearable.

>>52419503
You said it would flop, when I'm not even selling it.
>>
>>52418222
This is what you do.
Have a decent rig at your main desk in the place you live at, where a majority of gaymen should take place...
Then when you're on the go, like work or school, you probably shouldn't be doing any gaymen that requires powerful hardware???? So you just have a cheap laptop, or 2 in 1 tablet, which can push casual gaymen to kill that free time.
>>
>>52419383
Now consider the following.

>A mid range laptop would run the games you loved and you still love at incredible speeds and resolutions
>A mid range laptop btfo your high end computer from when you did those lans
>Implying new games are worth a fuck
>Implying if you go to a Lan right now you wouldnt play old games

There is no reason for you not to use a laptop at a LAN considering you will probably play just old games.
>>
>>52419804
Other than the fact that you can usually get two decent desktop PC's for the price of a gayman laptop. I was thinking of getting one now that I'm employed
>>
>>52419383
I was doing that in '95

whole gathering when 600 mb of files arrived fresh from a twilight cds
>>
>>52419383
LAN parties at my house sucked because the power usage from all the PC's would trip the breaker :[
>>
>>52418559
Something like that could have a market in commercial use. For example you could temporarily replace a server if your clients server fails or something.
>>
File: G751-Left-Back-Open30.jpg (310 KB, 2000x1158) Image search: [Google]
G751-Left-Back-Open30.jpg
310 KB, 2000x1158
I use a gayming laptop on a regular basis for a few reasons:

>I regularly cover the till or keep the place open for tabletop games at my lgs , it's nice to be able to play some vidya at the same time
>my other half watches shit tv so I'd rather play some vidya and still be in the same room / talk to her than sit there bored out of my head . The lounge doesn't have room for a tower
> my friends still have LAN parties.

Yes they're over priced - I have the money

Yes I have a gaymin tower as well, it rarely gets used

Yes it's probably too heavy to carry around all day -it only has to go between floors in my house and to my car.

There's a lot of hate when it comes to gaming laptops but I get lots of use out of mine .
>>
File: openpandora_multitasking.jpg (483 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
openpandora_multitasking.jpg
483 KB, 1920x1440
>>52421141
Hey no worries man, this is a free country (in your case too I assume), you can do what you want with your money. For the scenario you described, anything but a gaymen laptop would be stupid so good for you!

Back when I was younger/more into pc games I had a laptop for a similar reason (LANs and being able to play games in my parents living room) but nowadays, when I hang out with my other half and she wants to watch some of her gay vampire movies, I usually play indie games that run on my trusty Thinkpad x201. I used to have an OpenPandora for that purpose but the idiot that I am, I sold it. Pic related, that thing was fucking amazing.
>>
>>52418222
I have actually ordered parts for a suitcase computer 2 days ago.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.