[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Swiss service provider
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: 1374644262175.jpg (4 MB, 3840x1200) Image search: [Google]
1374644262175.jpg
4 MB, 3840x1200
Alright everyone, I will soon be starting webhosting in Switzerland (I plan to add VPS, VPN, Jabber/chat/younameit and storage services as well, by the end of this year).

It may look like I'm trying to sell you my products but it's not the case (the company isn't even running yet). In fact, what I'm doing now is letting you know that in the near future everyone on this planet will have access to a service provider that is true to its customers, no bullshit.

For instance, you have Gandi in France but recent laws have been adopted in there which basically make the country be like the USA (i.e. their intelligence agencies can read whatever they want). This is not the case in Switzerland, because as long as you are not an ISP you have much more freedom in how you operate your business (ex. I am not forced to have a blackbox to monitor all the traffic).

Now the question is, would this be interesting for any of you out there ? Note that I am a Swiss citizen myself *and* I am actively involved into politics, which means I will fight for privacy/Net neutrality/etc. at the core of Swiss politics.
>>
>>52417123
Cool shit, add good prices on that and you have my scheckels
>>
>>52417123
>I'm not trying to sell you something
>blatant sales pitch

Try harder, the goyim aren't this stupid
>>
Companies fuck over customers because it gives them an advantage. If you don't, you'll find the competition shoving you out.

Good luck.
>>
>>52417302
What would be an ideal price for you ? considering 100G of space

>>52417414
This is market probing, not sales. I have nothing to sell yet and you may very well buy services from someone else.

>>52417469
Since option 1 does not apply to me, I doubt I will make big corporations change their price plans just because some newcomer has an aggressive price tag (though I'd be flattered).
>>
>>52417123

Switzerland really doesn't believe in privacy anymore. The days of Switzerland being a bastion of anonymity are long gone.

They co-operate fully with Europol/Interpol and a VPN there is not going to protect anyone.

>Also this is blatant spam.
>>
>believing that the Swiss government won't bend over for anybody blowing softly at them
>believing any of the current political parties will stand behind reasonable privacy laws

laughingwhores.jpg.exe
>>
>>52417123
are you a pirate? why not germany instead? the berlin meshnet and the CCC will surely like you.
>>
>>52417521
A VPN with a 100/10 line at 6-7 USD, VPS I can't ssy since that depends on the specs
>>
>>52417560
>Switzerland really doesn't believe in privacy anymore
Wrong, we have a Pirate party here and people from other parties are against a surveillance state as well. Right now, in order for the intelligence agency to spy on someone they must have authorization from a Swiss judge and it may only concern one person, not a collection of persons.

>They co-operate fully with Europol/Interpol and a VPN there is not going to protect anyone.
Indeed, there is cooperation with international police agencies but these days our Government is kinda reluctant is collaborating with the EU and the US (even though we must because of some economical

Also, you can still get a North Korean VPN if you want. At least there ain't no freedom police there.

>>52417672
>believing that the Swiss government won't bend over for anybody blowing softly at them
Unless you're some high value target, I doubt there will be international cooperation to retrieve your data. Even then, I could object any legal prosecution.

>believing any of the current political parties will stand behind reasonable privacy laws
The party I'm affiliated with is against external influence, meaning they don't give a shit about what other countries think or like.

>>52417730
No, why ? Germany is in the EU, which is fucked up.

>>52417735
I would like to enforce OpenVPN only, but some people might want other protocols too. But yeah, such price tags with a decent speed is surely doable. It all depends how profitable the business is.
>>
>>52417824
So which party is that?
Don't tell me it's SVP/UDC, because I'd disturb the whole neighbourhood with my laughter.
>>
>>52417862
I fear your neighborhood will suffer eardrum pain, but I'd like to know your take on UDC.
>>
>>52417913
holy fuck are you serious?
they are populist as hell and can't even offer alternatives themselves.
>>
>>52417965
well yes, we certainly don't want to join the EU and submit to their laws
>>
>>52417986
do you actually know European law? even for someone that is right-wing, the UDC/SVP is not to be taken serious. it's like pegida or front national, just a bunch of rednecks that are too retarded to understand real politics.
>>
>>52417913
Sure, let me tell you about my opinion of the SVP/UDC:

They are perfect on a local/communal level, for example thanks to the efforts of the head of the local welfare office (being from the SVP/UDC), the community avoided hosting criminal gypsies, so the neighbouring community (lead by an SP/PS member) took them in, leading to years of doubtful events and huge financial losses.
So, on a local level, their people are some of the best to work with, and most of them aren't blinded by ideologies like the social-democrats or greens.

However, on a national/international level, they're pandering to the lowest common denominator, and it's shit, can't take their program serious.
I don't really see them having anybody they could send to the EU/UE for (succesful) negotiations, and they know that, so they keep away from these departments, while still acting like a kid having a temper.

When the BDP had their split-off, I hoped for an "SVP-light" with good politics and less drama, but sadly they didn't really get too far with that.

Still, I voted for a lot of SVP candidates in the last years (as I think they're competent), but the party is a laughing stock for me, sadly without any promising alternatives.
>>
Seems like there's a lot of Swissbros here.

Does a guy with a Masters in Engineering (Networks/Computers) live comfortably there? As in buying a house (not an apartment) for a family?
>>
>>52418031
>>52418131
reply incoming, just gimme some time

>>52418820
It depends on your specialization, but generally anyone in the field of IT can get decent wage. We're talking 8-15k CHF depending on the company, your grade and experience.
>>
>>52418848
What's the best payed specialization there?
>>
if you can do around 5 usd a month VPSes, you've got one more.

But i get that might not be so possible because economies of scale.

but good luck anyway.
>>
>>52418872
The big industries here are pharmaceutics and luxury goods (watches, jewelry, etc.). Others industries such as IT are good too (see Swisscom, Kudelski, etc.).

Foreign companies like Cisco are also implemented here, which means you have the same (+/-) jobs as they provide in the US but the pay is not really the same.

>>52418916
If things go well, I may offer VPS as cheap as a bag of snacks. w&s

>>
>>52418970
Thanks Swissbro, I will look into that since I need to make money to fulfill my dream of owning a house
>>
>>52419021
You're welcome. You can check this website to get an overall idea of what you can get and for how: v . gd / to1ALX Note that there are many other real estate agencies.
>>
I'm skeptical tripfag. If you are about privacy, UK and the NSA are going knocking. If you don't give them what they want they will APDoS you until you are forced give in. Or turn to a sketchy anti-threat agency like ProtonMail did.

I wish you all the best though.
>>
>>52418031
I'm not proficient in European law but one thing I know is that upon joining the EU, you adopt the Euro as currency. This is definitely not something we want here, and we are the only party that is officially against this.

Pegida is kinda extreme, you can't really compare it to FN or UDC (though the same background idea of nationality exists).

>>52418131
I get your point. As a matter of fact, the city I live in has been in the hands of PS for many years now and we've seen but red numbers in our accounts. The UDC members of the city council are gently making things better, so that confirms what you said.

As for the (inter)national scale, it is true. Our economics ties have been severed, when we adopted the boundary restrictions for instance. The EU canceled all exchange programs to protest (which is dumb desu, because students shouldn't be targeted and taken as "hostages").

I am relatively new into the party, so I don't know much of the past history of Swiss politics. But for what I've seen so far (the last year or so), it's been pretty stable. The majors topics we had to deal with were of national concern. So yeah, I can't really argue but still, I thank you for your input. I'll try to make the best decisions during the time I'm active (meaning not because I personally think something is good that it's good for everybody; I do not blindly follow the party, else I'd just be a sheep; etc.)
>>
>>52419134
They may force whatever they want, I will behave like the admins of TPB and not give a fuck.

Basically I prefer shutting my business down rather than submitting to anyone and handing over data.
>>
>>52418970
>If things go well, I may offer VPS as cheap as a bag of snacks. w&s
As a Swiss, I doubt that's possible if you want to be a serious provider (with redundancy, off-site backups, etc...). But I wish you good luck and would probably rent a VPS for 5-10 bucks monthly.

Do you plan to have your own AS / PI and peer @ SwissIX or just a normal business line? Xen, KVM or OpenVZ?
>>
>>52419238
>It is the twentieth largest exporter, despite its small size.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland#Economy_and_labour_law
as an exporter there is no economical reason to not join the euro zone.
>>
>>52419069
Thanks a lot, again. Good luck setting up a fine ISP+VPN, I will use it when I'm there
>>
>>52419307
I think as a startup it is impossible to start a business without losing some money at first. Any move is a bet, more or less. You just have to make the good one. In other words, optimize costs while keeping a good quality of service.

Right now I get a bunch of IP addresses from my colocation provider, but when (and if, hopefully) I grow yes I will get my own AS and a /22.

>>52419308
Maybe, but from a social point of view cities are already too crowded for us to let people from other countries come in. In overall life be harder (i.e. more expensive, social services will drop in quality, etc.) for both Swiss and foreigners if the population grows too much.

The problem is that we are not prepared to welcome more citizens. Not that we don't want to because we hate foreigners, but the infrastructure simply does not allow it.

>>52419310
yw & thanks :^)
>>
>>52419394
switzerland is way too expensive for a lot of people to travel to anyway. just look at your ridiculously high milk price for example (i actually think for things like milk this is a good thing)
>>
>>52419441
you are right about the land labor sector, they suffer from big companies buying their products for almost nothing and selling them for a much higer price

about travelling, yeah it's definitely not a cheap destination like Indonesia or Spain. however, you get a good bang for the buck compared to what France has to offer for example (plus, our streets aren't filled with thieves :^))
>>
>>52419490
I'm in your neighbor country and only went to Switzerland once in my whole life for about half a day. English speaking people don't visit you because they don't understand jack shit in your dialect, the French don't leave their country, the Spaniards are too poor and the Germans would rather visit Austria.
What i really like about Switzerland is that farmers can sell their shit without middlemen and that's your only valid reason to not be part of the EU. (yet Austria does it and they just don't care about the EU guidelines they don't like)
And no, you don't get good bang for the buck in Switzerland for anything.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.