[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Involuntary Overclock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: SPECCY.png (26 KB, 537x426) Image search: [Google]
SPECCY.png
26 KB, 537x426
Ok /g/, I'm at a loss. /sqt/ was no help so I'm making this thread. Every single time my PC wakes up from sleep/boots up my processor's clock speed goes up from 3.4 GHz to 3.7 GHz and the voltage goes up to 1.325 from 1.2125.

I think this happened because of me tinkering with it in AMD Overdrive, because it looks to be happening because of Turbo Core. Problem is, uninstalling Overdrive or disabling turbo core only fixes the problem until the computer goes to sleep again. Any ideas on what could be happening? I never fucked with my clock speed or voltage besides using overdrive.
>>
>>52416872
disable turbo in the BIOS, not software
>>
>>52416872
reset CMOS and also >>52416888
>>
>>52416888
>>52416901
Thanks, will report back once I've finished.
>>
>>52416901
CMOS reset did nothing. If I can't disable it in BIOS I'll remove my graphics card and pull out the battery.
>>
>>52416872
Jesus fuck you're thick. Yes, it's turbo core. No, it's not an overclock. No, it doesn't damage your processor. It only activates when it needs the extra processing power. Every modern processor does this, it makes the system more responsive and it will reduce overall power usage because of something called "the race to idle". Just leave it alone, it's fine.

Also, you should never use speccy for temperatures, they have a nasty habit of looking at the wrong sensors and giving laughable readings when they don't just know how to interpret the values. Anyone who uses speccy for temperatures should be shot repeatedly.
>>
>>52417298
It increases the multiplier you dumb fuck. This in turn increases the CPU clock speed and voltage so it can reach those higher speeds. That makes the CPU run hotter. The fucking CPU goes over 74°C sometimes because of this.

Also, I use CPU-Z and Open Hardware Monitor to gauge my temps, not speccy.
>>
>>52417298
>speccy temperatures are wrong
Only for AMD CPUs.
>>
You dingus is this your first time on /g/? if you paid attention to all the speccy spam /g/ has you would know that this is normal for AMD apu's temp.

As for your idiotic post that's because of amd overdrive.
>>
>>52419327
>It increases the multiplier you dumb fuck
That still doesn't make it an overclock you mouthbreathing knuckledragger,
>The fucking CPU goes over 74°C sometimes
Your point being? This doesn't damage the CPU. It is well within manufacturer specifications.
>>52419369
And for some SSDs, some hard drives and some motherboards.
>>
>>52419900
>clock speed is higher than the stock clock
>not an overclock
Please, enlighten me.
>74° won't damage the CPU
>Max operating temp is 71°
This isn't my housefire 390. Pretty sure their older A10 APUs aren't supposed to operate that hot.
>>
>>52420181
>Please, enlighten me.
overclock

verb

verb: overclock; 3rd person present: overclocks; past tense: overclocked; past participle: overclocked; gerund or present participle: overclocking

run (the processor of one's computer) at a speed higher than that intended by the manufacturers.

It was the manufacturers intention that the CPU run at those clocks, otherwise it wouldn't turbo up to it, therefore it is not an overclock.
>Pretty sure their older A10 APUs aren't supposed to operate that hot.
If it is not throttling then it is within the manufacturers specification. That is how both Turbo Boost and Turbo Core work. Keep in mind that the temperature sensors are not giving you 100% accurate data and the information available to the CPU is far more accurate.

You shouldn't play with things you know nothing about anon.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.