[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IDE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: cooooode.jpg (6 KB, 239x210) Image search: [Google]
cooooode.jpg
6 KB, 239x210
hey /g/, what ide would you recommend for python/c++ that has an integrated terminal? I've been using kate but it's ugly and buggy as shit on Ubuntu. I like kate because i can hit f8 and move between my terminal and work and if i don't have a second screen, i'm more productive. Suggestions welcome.
>>
vim
>>
Jetbrains PyCharm for python
>>
>>52416065
Vim
>>
>>52416065
vim with tmux
>>
Use Geany or Eclipse-cdt for C++. Python and stuff just use a text editor and the terminal. I usually use a text editor and terminal for most of my programming anyway. Also, use Tanglu
>>
>>52416138
>>52416154
>>52416163
This
>>
you can just run vim in a tab in your terminal emulator and use its shortcuts to switch between tabs (alt + 1,2,3,etc in gnome terminal)
>>
>>52416138
>>52416151
>>52416154
>>52416163
>>52416178
thanks for replies. I've been using Visual studio developing game for the past 4 years. I love visual studio, but i've moved back home and i'm doing a shit tonne of python and i just want something fast to develop in. Sounds like vim might be winner, ill have to learn that shit again.
>>
>>52416065
I use eclipse for C, Java and Python. It has all the basic IDE features for all of them and builtin version control, running/building and debugging so I find it easier to just use it for everything.

Pycharm is a lot more comfy for python though I have to say.
>>
>>52416212
The learning curve is a bitch but it's really good for fast editing.
>>
>>52416226
you can use eclipse's handy features from vim and the command line with the eclim plugin
>>
>>52416268
nah, if I'm using eclipse anyway what's the point in switching to vim?

genuine question, for a guy like me who is thoroughly used to eclipse what benefits are available with vim?
>>
OP here, thanks for proving that /g/ can still actually provide good advice. +1 internets
>>
>>52416290
vim is a very efficient text editor with a lot of customizability.
That's the main reason to use it over traditional notepad-like editors.
It isn't really an IDE out of the box, but you can turn it into one if you want.
>>
>>52416065
VIM/Geany
>>
>>52416339
so it's a case of different tools/different purposes?

literally can't imagine how long it would take to turn vim into a JavaEE IDE
>>
File: 3453q4g.jpg (4 KB, 240x183) Image search: [Google]
3453q4g.jpg
4 KB, 240x183
>>52416065

emacs
>>
>>52416451
macfag gtfo
>>
emacs + evil
>>
>>52416151
This. Jetbrains ides are indisputably the best
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.