[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
**HELP** Hard Drive Transfer help.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: hdd.jpg (115 KB, 620x561) Image search: [Google]
hdd.jpg
115 KB, 620x561
So I got a whole new PC (mobo, CPU, GPU) coming in soon and a need to use my old HDD. Is there a way to transfer my old HDD to my new PC, keeping my copy of windows 7?
I've done some reading and I was wondering if it is as easy as using sysprep. Any help would be REALL good.
>>
You're most likely better off investing some time to do a clean install.
>>
File: win-drivers-recovery.jpg (1 MB, 907x4001) Image search: [Google]
win-drivers-recovery.jpg
1 MB, 907x4001
>>52414831
Follow this guide. You just need a disc with the drivers on it.

>>52415215
That's what the hardware store clerk would say, total bull shit imho.
>>
>>52415256

>Doing all of this
>Not switching your drive from AHCI to IDE
>>
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4M; sync
>>
>>52415256
Not OP, but jesus fucking christ if this works I'm going to kill myself.
I had this exact problem when I bought a new motherboard, cpu and ram. I couldn't figure out how to fix it for the life of me, so I ended up just keeping my current components.
My brand new parts are just sitting in my room doing nothing atm, I tried selling them but didn't have any serious buyers.

I hope this works, thank you based anon.
>>
>>52414831
>>52416870
You guys are dumb as fuck. Just do a clean install. It's nicer to start fresh anyway.
>>
>>52414831
It's windows... Just put the new disk in, and let windows update install all drivers..

Might be a problem with win license, but if you call Microsoft and say that your pc was damaged during a lightning storm or something, they usually let you keep using the licence on the new hardware.
>>
>>52416870
it works, that's what I did when I bought my new pc, assembled from zero and I reused only the old HDDs. Do you have the mobo disc? you'll have to cd your way into the drivers folder, some mobo discs have the driver files in funny subfolders so make sure to check them throughly, if you don't want to download them (I was without internet when I had to do it so I had to use the original mobo disc rather than downloading the drivers on a clean disc).
>>
Disable uefi, run it in fucking safe mode, reboot. There, it works.
>>
>>52415215
dumb advice.

good advice : boot on any LiveCD; LiveUSB and copy everything from the old drive to the new one. You might have to rewrite your windows boot sector, and if you didn't pirate an enterprise/corp version of Win7, you will likely need this step :
>>52415256
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.