[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bad Programming Habits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1452634170734.jpg (90 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
1452634170734.jpg
90 KB, 400x500
I have heard it said here that starting off with a language like Python will make yoi a bad programmer. To what extent is this really true, if at all? Specifically what kinds of bad habits might Python, as a first language instill?
>>
Python makes things like list comprehension and string manipulation very easy. In other languages, these features are implemented differently.

It removes room to grow when it comes to actual micro-problem solving because you cant just do an extended string slice, or whip up a lambda on the fly.
>>
Total shit.

Programming is problem solving and idea expressing.

The language you do it in doesn't matter. The way you express it will be different of course --- procedural (C), functional (Haskell), declarative (prolog), etc --- but you're shunting data around and acting upon it all the same.
>>
File: _20160113_230156.jpg (294 KB, 1440x1121) Image search: [Google]
_20160113_230156.jpg
294 KB, 1440x1121
>>52412575
word. well that was a short thread. not used to actually getting non retarded posts. what do we do now? sage it?
>>
>>52412515
Python is messily multi paradigm. It makes it harder to see the advantages of something like object oriented design when working in Python, because it already does so much OO hidden from the programmer.
>>
>>52412610
This post doesn't address the OP at all
>>
>>52412622
This is an interesting point, thanks
>>
>>52412629
I actually learnt to program using Python, and I always had a terrible time understanding oop. I never really saw the advantage, or how it could actually be used properly in a real project. It doesn't help that basically all Python learning resources are aimed at amateurs.

Switched to Java, and oop is so easy.
>>
>>52412575
doesn't python have lambdas
>>
File: 1452732613259.gif (2 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1452732613259.gif
2 MB, 300x169
>>52412672
thanks for sharing this
>>
>>52412719
oops pic not related
>>
>>52412686
Python does have lambdas.
>>
>bad programming habbits
if I'm almost done with coding some sort of applet for a customer, but find a bug that I don't know I still push it to the Debug-team and hope that either they will fix it or direct the task to someone else
>>
>>52412672

I think OOP is hard to understand if you're not concerned with things being optimal all the time. Having everything be nice and tidy with the least amount of internal object information being revealed and whatnot is hard when you are naturally inclined to just set 50 getters and setters.
>>
Lisp ML Lisp ML Lisp ML Lisp ML Lisp ML Lisp ML Lisp ML Lisp ML
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.