[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there a physical limit to how dense integrated circuits can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1451866130333.jpg (10 KB, 396x217) Image search: [Google]
1451866130333.jpg
10 KB, 396x217
is there a physical limit to how dense integrated circuits can be before we start having problems? i know about moors law, but i'm not asking about cost vs. benefit, i'm asking about the fundamental limit to how many logic blocks we can form per unit of area on a chip.
>>
>>52411573
no there isn't you diseased accident of a collective mass of quarks and electrons.
>>
>>52411592
Tell me how to make a logic gate smaller than an atom then
>>
>>52411611
calabri yau spaces can be used to represent switching.
>>
>>52411611
Lmao what are photonic logic gates
>>
>>52411627
Scifi bullshit
>>
>>52411611
Don't you know ER=EPR?
Space warping is possible.
>>
>>52411564
>is there a physical limit to how dense integrated circuits can be before we start having problems

I'm just a dumb /p/hag, so enlighten me. Rather than make the components of a CPU smaller to fit the size of existing processors, why not just double the size of the CPU to fit more components and create a new standard?

Think of a bag of rocks. Instead of making the rocks smaller, why not just get a bag twice as big? Now instead of one rock you have two rock.
>>
>>52411679
so you want us to walk around with backpacks filled with CPUs while they power our clothes, skin and mind?
>>
>>52411679
The bigger the CPU the better your cooling system needs to be.
>>
>>52411716
And the more latency for data to move around the chip.
>>
>>52411679
Larger CPU = more transistors = more heat, basically.

As well, signals would take longer to propagate across the IC which means you have a lower maximum clock rate.

It's probably one of these two things that holds IC manufacturers back. They are big companies with deep pockets, if the problem could be solved as simply as that, don't you think they would have done it already?
>>
>>52411679
Latency between the caches etc.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.