[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9955/ seagate-unveils-10-tb-he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: seagate_10tb_hdd.jpg (322 KB, 1088x1156) Image search: [Google]
seagate_10tb_hdd.jpg
322 KB, 1088x1156
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9955/seagate-unveils-10-tb-heliumfilled-hard-disk-drive

Why don't you have 10TB of storage, /g/?
>>
>anandtech
>>
>>52402427
>literally cloud storage
>>
>Seagate
hahahaha

hell naw nigga
>>
>Anton Shilov
ok
>>
>>52402427
try dropping your 10TB HDD
>>
>seagate
>>
>>52402653
>he fell for the backblaze meme

Good goy
>>
>Seamengate
Das cool, useful for the first 6 months before it shits the bed.
>>
>>52403208
you can't drop it senpai.

it's got helium in it so it'll float if you let go
>>
>>52402427
>10TB
>Relying on one drive
>Seagate

Maybe I fell for the backblaze meme but no thanks.
>>
>>52403227
uh no
its from personal experience.

and a buddy of mine who works a data center says they're 100% the worst brand
>>
>>52402653
>>52403216
>>52403242
suck my dick wd shills
>>
Don't want my house to blow up Tbh
>>
>>52403283
>that sudden drop

looks like they fucked up something desu.
I bet the Seagate rack vibrated like a mad cunt.
>>
>>52403269
>>Relying on one drive
exactly
>>
Starting new business offering helium refill service
>>
>>52403446
CloudFuelâ„¢
>>
I feel as if this would be the ultimate death machine.
>>
>>52403335
yeah they had a really terrible batch of 1.5 and 3 tb drives around 3-4 years ago, looks like those drives are coming out of service now

even backblaze said they were utter shit but the rest of the seagate drives were fine
>>
>>52403269
Having a 10TB drive does not limit the amount of drives you can power. What is your problem?
>>
>>52402427
>Why don't you have 10TB of storage
because 10TB isn't enough
>>
I remember being pretty upset loosing a 80GB hard drive with all of my ROMs on it, but it taught me a valuable lesson about the importance data backup and hardware fallibility. I learnt that lesson without having to lose family photographs, unique cultural artefacts and other sentimentally valuable items (which were on another drive).

Now the same lesson can't really be 'nicely' learnt by the 'kids of today'. If they lose one hard drive, they will legitimately lose everything they have.
>>
>>52402427
>Why don't you have 10TB of storage, /g/?
because my array of 4TB drives already take most of a whole fucking day to scrub/wipe/image.

Since it's not feasible to pack more platters in a drive or jack the RPMs up to the stratosphere, we're stuck in a situation where every doubling of capacity increases linear transfer rates about 40% and makes whole-disk operations take 40% longer.

> tfw 20TB drives in 2020 really do take more than 24hr to do anything with
>>
>>52403283

in other words, seagate is erratic and unpredictable

only drives that ever failed on me were seagate

fuck you seagate
>>
>>52403789
the kids of tomorrow will have to replace their entire laptop when their motherboard-soldered ssd dies on them.
>>
I'd prefer to buy multiple smaller drives in a storage pool

The only advantage of these huge capacity drives is that they save physical space and connectivity
>>
>mechanical storage
Get with the times grandpa
>>
>>52402427
>http://www.anandtech.com/show/9955/seagate-unveils-9.1-tb-heliumfilled-hard-disk-drive
>>
>>52403823
or making 5.25" HDDs with larger platters
>>
>>52402653
>>52403216
>>52403242
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/944-6/disques-durs.html
>>
>>52404367
that does very little, since the linear speed of the platters though the gas in the housing is the biggest limiting factor.

it's why you only ever saw 15k rpm drives in 2.5" and why manufacturers are moving to helium (lower viscosity and better heat transfer at same pressure).

5.25" drives would have to have pretty low RPM.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.