[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How old were you when you realized you will live a mundane, technologically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: singularityfags.png (13 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
singularityfags.png
13 KB, 1000x1500
How old were you when you realized you will live a mundane, technologically stagnant life? I was 18. We simply won't see the kind of advancement our parents did over their lives.
>>
As a forth year med student I diagnose you with severe retard syndrome. Unfortunately I don't expect medical knowledge to find a treatment in our lifetime. Godspeed OP.
>>
>>52401841
>doesn't have a rebuttal
>resorts to namecalling
Kill yourself, lad.
>>
>stagnant
How ignorant are you? Do you just care about muh games
>>
The problem with exponential growth is it's impossible to tell where on the graph you are. The green line is most likely to be true but sticking '2013' on it is arbitrary. You could stick it all the way at the start.
>>
>>52401949
Because there are significant advancements in your life other than games, I'm sure. How's that revolutionary new iphone with a slightly bigger screen treating you? :^)
>>
>>52401868
You didn't start with a real claim, dipshit.

>wah, we're running into some physical obstacles, that means that technology is going to stop

Yeah, and we'll never be able to do a thousand mathematical operations per second, right? Babbage is a nutcase obviously.
>>
>>52401868
Virtual reality, reusable rockets, enhanced glasses, all human knowledge available in seconds, drones, selfdriving cars , all this happened in just a few years.
Nowhere in history has technology advanced faster yet you find it stale. You are a retard with no hope of recovery, I am very sorry for you. I honestly am a med student and if you really have such a cynical view on the world I can't see how will you not succumb to depression. Technology is one of the few fields where we are progressing enormously. I would understood if you were talking about culture, but technology?
I will go into space in my lifetime, I will live on hundreds of imaginary worlds and experience all historical eras trough virtual reality, I will be able to read books and drink wine while my car drives me everywhere, I will come home to a house that does my laundry, cleans my apartment and cooks for me.

Technology is one of the few things that makes me hopeful for the future.
>>
>>52402009
>>52401841
Guns haven't changed meaningfully in 70 years and airplanes haven't changed in 40, so I don't know why the computer becoming a "mature technology" would come as such a shock.

The first Core Duos are a decade old now and are still inherently useful in a way that, say, a 10-year-old 386 would NOT have been in the Pentium 4/Athlon XP era.
>>
>>52402009
I admit we'll see some higher computer speeds and higher resolutions. But innovation is pretty much dead. All "new" technology is just gimmicks.
>>
>>52402031
lol reusable rockets have been around since SSME dipshit

most of the other shit is just having the computing power to solve graphing problems faster or fast enough
>>
>>52401749
>Almost global proliferation of internet
>Social media connecting what where before isolated peoples
>Birth of quantum computing
>More powerful devices on your wrist than in space craft sent to the moon
>IoT becoming a thing

Yep stagnant and shit, what a waste of a life.
Killing myself tomorrow.
>>
>>52402036
Dude, what? Plenty of serious advancements have been made in both aviation and weaponry. You have to be a god damn retard, you're actually just spouting off on things you know nothing about. Quantum physics is still a huge field with a lot to work on and insanely amazing possibilities in terms of applications to technology. Materials science seems to come out with miracle shit every month.

A 386 is still more useful than a 4004, and both are more useful than a god damn mechanical adding machine. You're using the ambiguous patterns of an advancing technology as a backing argument for complete bullshit.
>>
>>52402036
its true besides bigger codecs, fancier graphics, and trying to use more data (speech analysis for speech control etc) the major OSes have not changed much either because all the basic needs are pretty much met. another bump when VR, AI, and natural speech recognition are mature technologies for mass consumption and there'll be little reason to keep growing.. though im sure someone will always keep trying,,, as is tradition
>>
>>52402031
>Virtual reality, reusable rockets, enhanced glasses, all human knowledge available in seconds,

but Virtual Reality is just a marketing buzzword for putting screens on your face with a strap.

All human knowledge? Mate, you dont learn even 1/2 there is to know by searching online.

Enhanced glasses? You trolling now
>>
>>52402076
You can make the same point about every other technology your grandparents experienced. Cars are just carriages with more horsepower. Planes are just faster zeppelins. atomic bombs are just stronger bombs. Whats your point ?
>>
>>52402078
>>IoT becoming a thing
>a good thing
Pick one.
>>
>>52402127
difference is that SSME is pretty much the pinnacle of rocket engines ever made and most of these meme rocket companies will probably never reach that level.
>>
>>52402031
>virtual reality
nice marketing term
lmao senpai it's a screen through a lens on your face and we've had this for decades
>>
>>52401749
The is that Rare earth elements are necessary for modern tech and especially electric cars etc.
Getting those in big masses will be a problem sooner or latter
>>
>>52402096

English isn't my first language. Enhanced glasses will be a new technology in our lifetime.

Virtual reality is not the same thing, you really shouldn't showcase your ignorance about it if you haven't tried it.

Almost all human knowledge will be available in our lifetime online, there are billions being spent in scanning every book and putting it online. If you were in academics you'd know how much of a big deal this is. I can search every book I want as a med student on the computer instead of spending hours in the library finding the piece of info I want. I've saved hundreds of hours in this way that I invested in shitposting here. I consider it a huge advancement in technology
>>
>>52402031
Holy shit you are deluded. Allow me to give you a reality check.

>Virtual reality
Won't take off. It is simply too expensive. The oculus rift is selling at $599 and it is being sold at a loss. On top of that you need a top-of-the-line rig to run it especially since you need 95fps to not get motion sickness. I doubt the vive will be cheaper since it uses superior technology.

>reusable rockets
Now this is somewhat interesting. However, I highly doubt spaceX alone can get to asteroid mining/going to mars. NASA certainly won't do shit with out current political climate.

>enhanced glasses
Do you mean Augmented Reality? I guess I'll give you this, but it won't be around for quite awhile. I hope you don't believe hololense looks as good as they say it does.

>all human knowledge available in seconds
Like now?

>drones
What are they even useful for other than military? Spying on your neighbor?

>selfdriving cars
This is straight up a lie. All the self-driving cars instantly fail once the day is anything other than sunny, and they have made nearly zero progress on fixing this.

>all this happened in just a few years
Yes, a bunch of gimmicks happened in a few years. More news at 8.

> You are a retard with no hope of recovery, I am very sorry for you
That projection. Sorry bud, but I find satisfaction in life in things that aren't pipedreams and gimmicks I'll get bored of in one day.

>I will go into space in my lifetime
I can promise you that you won't. Commercial space travel is at a COMPLETE stand still.

>I will live on hundreds of imaginary worlds and experience all historical eras trough virtual reality
I suppose, but it will only really reach a niche crowd and it won't be all that much better than using a regular monitor.

> I will be able to read books and drink wine while my car drives me everywhere
See above section on driverless cars.

> I will come home to a house that does my laundry
Like now...?

You're gonna be dissapointed in the future, bud.
>>
>>52401749
No, it's just that you're leading a mundane, technologically and scientifically stagnant life.
Turns out technology and science is still advancing as hell, imagine some village in middle of Kongo and some kid complaining about how technology hasn't changed since 500 years ago, see, that's you.
If you can pinpoint me in something that hasn't changed or will change throughout the coming year, I'll be more than glad to let you know other wise. Unless it's something like umbrella or something, that probably won't change for a long ass time. I'm not just gonna cater about change about everything for you since there are way too many stuff to cover, i.e. pretty much everything you see.
>>
The only thing that is progressing at a rapid pace is PR and marketing's ability to dress up old products and innovations as radically new and functional technologies.
>>
>>52402263
this guy gets it desu.

aerospace seems to be the most plagued with this bullshit right now.

>muh Space X
>>
>>52402221

It think the only reaction needed to your arguments is: for now.
>>
>>52402256
Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell and Skylake accomplishing nothing in five years plus AMD not even fucking bothering to catch up
>>
>>52402263
Best post of the thread. Everything new has literally been the same shit but gimmicked and PR'ed to hell.
>>
>>52402221
How am I deluded, OP asked about stuff in our lifetime,not now. How is the first generation price of a new innovative technology disprove me. It will get cheaper and better over time like any new technology. My first computer was more expensive than an apartment in Nigeria. "Computers will never take off" "internet will never take off" lol

I already have a hoover robot, I don't need to hoover myself anymore.

If you're OP what the hell was your point, that stuff now sucks or that we won't see stuff for the next 50 years. You're disproving me because stuff isnt available now, not that it isn't innovative and available in our lifetime
>>
Gene technology made a huge leap in 2015 with the new CRISPR technology.
Copy & pasting genes is now magnitudes cheaper and easier.
>>
>>52401749
You know people in the 1960's thought the exact same thing.
>>
>>52402351
Yeah we are making tons of advancement in biotechnology each year, we will reap the benefits of this in medicine in around 10 years. The future look bright to me as it never did before. OP is just a depressed retard.
>>
>>52402359
And in the 1890s.
>>
>>52402379
One of the most impressive developments will be the reversal of environmental pollution with mushrooms.
https://www.ted.com/talks/paul_stamets_on_6_ways_mushrooms_can_save_the_world?language=en

There are mushrooms that can neutralize soil contaminated by nerve gas, oil and other poisons. And this is without genetic engineering!
>>
>>52402285

So, basically you just have blind faith that things will change instead of analyzing how things are going. Okay, m8.

>>52402310
Computers and the internet took off because they had real potential and were viable. The things you listed either won't be viable because of real political/economic limits, or will just be mostly useless.
>>
>>52402406
>ted
>nerve gas
It's like I'm looking at distilled memes.
>>
>>52402175
Calling SSMEs reusable is a stretch. They were pushed to their thrust limit every Shuttle launch and had to be torn down and basically remanufactured after every flight. Add to that the pointless "reusability" of the SRBs, where the heavy steel casings had to be cleaned of spent fuel and saltwater, and the entire "reusable" orbiter, which lost a dangerous number of thermal protection tiles each launch, and you have a complete failure of a reusable launch system.

NASA would have saved money by keeping the Saturn V in production. SpaceX can actually take advantage of their reusability by keeping things simple and not having Congress split their production line across every state in the union.
>>
>>52401749
>How old were you when you realized you will live a mundane, technologically stagnant life?
How old were you when you realized you will live a mundane, isolated, creatively stagnant life?

>We simply won't see the kind of advancement our parents did over their lives.
Even the most pessimistic graph lines you give show a doubeling. It looks like adding values intervals on, at least, the X axis was to advanced for you.
>>
>>52402466
No, this is actually real.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Stamets#Patents_granted
>>
>>52402505
>Patents
Fucking disgusting. Watch it never be used by anyone because the faggots that own the patents want billions of dollars for it.
>>
>>52402496
>Even the most pessimistic graph lines you give show a doubeling
Yeah, you will see an increase of computer power. You won't get anything new or innovative, though. See:>>52402263
>>
>>52402419
No I trust that people aren't spending billions for useless technologies. Google, HTC, Facebook, Sony and others are investing tons in VR. same about selfdriving cars. I think that the richest most succesful people and companies on earth have more foresight than a random 4channer who's barely out of highschool and has no historical knowledge to know where he is at this point in human progress.

Some of the smartest people on earth work on these technologies as fast as they can to gain the biggest share of the market. These technologies are here to stay and if you don't believe that it's your problem. You're just wasting our time here.
>>
>>52401749
Since around when I was 15, and it's great. Old tech hasn't become super collectible yet which means it's cheap as water and I can appreciate the era when tech did actually meaningfully advance for next to nothing and still use it productively today.

>>52402031
>Virtual reality
Gluing a cell phone to a blindfold is not "virtual reality" especially considering software and neural interfaces have not caught up and probably will not for many years to come.

>reusable rockets
This is one of the few things I really can't shit on.

>enhanced glasses
Clunky gimmicks.

That's been a thing for 20 years now, and most of it is behind paywalls.

>drones
Wow, giant RC planes, what a time to be alive!

>selfdriving cars
Nowhere near road-ready.

>all this happened in just a few years.
Do you really think all of these things just popped into someone's head while they're surfing facebook? They've been working on this shit for decades.

I like optimism as much as the next guy, but watching /g/ jerk themselves raw over these mundane consumer pop-science inventions and write pseudo-intellectual romanticised paragraphs about how they're literally a revolution that's going to change everything is getting old.
>>
>>52402551
Never said they wouldn't be here to stay. 3D TVs and motion controls are still here, but they are just gimmicks and people finally see that. Companies invested a lot of money into those too. Things fail, people make mistakes.
>>
>>52402553
>nowhere near road-ready

uhhhh

yeah
>>
>>52402419
>So, basically you just have blind faith that things will change.
Yep fact of live... Okay, to easy. Even if technology does not advance, for some reason; there are still huge gains to be made in regards to accessability to technology and knowlage, not just in the 3rd world. Also in the combination and usages of that technology.
>>
>>52402553
Again what's your point? We won't see these things in our lifetime? And have you actually tried true virtual reality? I almost shat myself when I put the headset one.
>>
>>52402288
Oh, I'm glad you actually asked something about a field I'm partly involved in. I really don't know about "muh gaming experience" and "muh over clock speed" or whatever so I'm not gonna comment on that.

But microprocessor manufacturing's way, waaaay more complex than people might think. See, creating freaking transistor literally on nano scale, literally coming to the point where you can count how many atoms are making up the gates is where we're at now is not something simple, and takes butt loads of technology and scientific improvement.

To make these things, we've been using some photo etching to kind of like reverse photograph pictures before the digital camera days and that was all fine and dandy until now, where things are so small that lights waves, a fucking photons and light waves are too big and we can etch or cut out these transistors properly. But the bigger problem is the fact that, the gates, something that's between the applied voltage and the substrate or something that let's you have an on and off on transistors, are literally becoming few angstrom thick, or few carbon atoms thick, like as thick as 10 carbon atoms. To combat this, one way is to make a different gate structure like make it 3D, which is as easy as building a lego block. A deposition technique to build or grow these needs much innovation in chemistry and physics using things like metal oxide chemical vapor deposition or plasma enhanced method, molecular beam epitaxy and whole new tech to achieve this. Another is using different gate materials by using other different deposition technique, think about grain boundary constraint so the material stick by view of bulk, and think about band gap engineering to create some cool new quantum effect to make a gate, maybe even use quantum capacitance in effect.

I can literally talk about this for hours but you might just say "but what is see on my computer screen don't change, no innovation but that's not true, can continue if needed
>>
>>52402605
>Instantly fails in slight rain or cloudiness
>road ready
>>
File: 1452298288796.jpg (705 KB, 1111x1407) Image search: [Google]
1452298288796.jpg
705 KB, 1111x1407
>>52401749
>internet
>a small computer with access to alll human knowledge in your pocket
>virtual reality around the corner
>affordable space tourism aroun the corner
>succesfill thought reading experiments
>advancement of robototechnology leading to replace real women with nice gynoids
>self driving cars
>experiments on nuclear fusion advancing
>cyborg arms for cripples
>and cyborg legs
>possible enhancement of human mind with electronics

So fucking mundane it hurts!
Life is standing still!
Humanity is rotting alive!
>>
>>52402551
>No I trust that people aren't spending billions for useless technologies

You don't seem to understand how business works.

Most (not all) large tech companies aren't spending money for the sake of actual technological development. It's for the purpose of keeping a credible *buzz* alive around the company in order to keep investment coming through and maintain shareholder confidence. It's a bit like a large-scale long-term Ponzi scheme.

Haven't you noticed that technologies that sound the most glamorous are getting funded while more important but boring sounding things aren't?
>>
>>52402659
this
>>
>>52402605
I don't really think software is yet up to the task of quick decision making in life threatening situations and dealing with other retards on the road, nor are the manufacturers and legal system ready for the implications of the technology.

And are these things even usable outside of big cities? Are they trustworthy to use in an irrelevant area or on a road trip? I don't really know about this part, doesn't seem like they would be, though that would definitely be where they would be most useful.

>>52402618
My point is that this naive over-optimism based on mundane shit is retarded and I wish it would end.

>And have you actually tried true virtual reality? I almost shat myself when I put the headset one.
I'm not talking about the pretty pictures, I'm talking about the actual "reality" part of it.

Call of Duty with a phone screen strapped to your face is still Call of Duty, it still has the same shitty AI, physics and unrealistic mechanics, you're still sitting in a chair, you're still not actually experiencing the "reality" part of it.
>>
>>52402659
>internet
>a small computer with access to alll human knowledge in your pocket

Oh boy, muh iphone that's been out since 2007 is revoolushunareee!!

Gimmicky failure. It will go the way of the kinect.

Highly doubtful. No progress has been made since the virgin galactic failure and it will be for the hyper rich anyway.

Dnews and Vsauce isn't a good source, lad.

>advancement of robototechnology leading to replace real women with nice gynoids

Complete bullshit. Robotics is getting better, but human level AI is practically impossible.

>self driving cars

Fails in bad weather.

"will be ready in 20 years" just like 20 years ago, huh?

>cyborg arms for cripples and cyborg legs

I haven't looked into this, but it sounds like popsci bullshit. Perhaps you have a source?

This IS popsci bullshit. We are not even a modicum closer to knowing how the brain works.

>So fucking mundane it hurts!
>Life is standing still!
>Humanity is rotting alive!

Nice denial, lad.
>>
>>52402730
>Call of Duty with a phone screen strapped to your face is still Call of Duty, it still has the same shitty AI, physics and unrealistic mechanics, you're still sitting in a chair, you're still not actually experiencing the "reality" part of it.

I'm not saying that we'll experience true to life virtual reality anytime soon, but is it not also true that we haven't seen a game developed specifically for this kind of experience?
>>
>>52402553
>Gluing a cell phone to a blindfold is not "virtual reality"

Good thing that's not what Oculus and Vive are.
There are a whole host of other sensors and support software for movement tracking and ensuring this syncs with what's rendered.
All of this costs a lot, which was the other complaint about VR ITT. You can't have it both ways, guys. Either something is new and innovative and expensive, or it's a clever rehash of old cheap tech (like Google cardboard) and is affordable but disappointing.

Once any new technology is cheap enough for the average NEET, you'll be complaining that it's just a cheaper version of extant tech - because yes, it is, but you can't afford it when it's new. By the time anything hits "consumer-ready", it's usually tried-and-true technology.
>>
>>52402730
Dude you asked us about in our lifetime and you're complaining that stuff isn't ready yet. Are you 80 ? Just chill. It will get there.
>>
>>52402623
Anyway, I think most people will say this won't change their life at all so I'll add some other bits. Let's say carbon nano tube, you can pretty much turn these into conducting metal or dielectric and hard like diamond, literally by changing the radius of the tube by few nano meters due to quantum mechanics. You can have a steel pipe in your hand one second and then a diamond staff the next second. Or say you can have things like thing that pretty much act as gold or platinum or other natural earth that are needed for catalyst to turn poison gas into breathable air, or super conductor for hover boards or really cool but expensive stuff made super cheap from abundant element like carbon, nitrogen, silicon, etc. Possibilities are endless.
>>
>>52402779
Some people just love complaining. Its our fault we fall for it and feed them
>>
>>52402470
and simple in rocket terms is shit performance, shit efficiency and shit payload carrying ability.
>>
>>52402779
Except it is expensive and not useful. Head tracking isn't worth the price. It isn't even that impressive. People will stick to their monitors even when it's cheap. And again, that won't happen for awhile because you need to spend a lot for the headset and a lot for 95fps.
>>
>>52402763
2007 wasn't that long ago. What are you, 12?
Also, in 2007 the iPhone didn't have apps or 3G data service. It was just an expensive Motorola RAZR with iTunes integration.
>>
File: 7369674-dekaarm.jpg (328 KB, 2200x1465) Image search: [Google]
7369674-dekaarm.jpg
328 KB, 2200x1465
>>52402763
>>
>>52402779
Virtual Reality will always have one particularly big weakness for games.

Games that need to run at 90fps for VR purposes will always look significantly graphically inferior to games that run at 30fps on regular TVs in terms of polygon count, textures, shaders, etc.

And games always have and still do sell on the quality of their screenshots or Youtube trailers.
>>
>>52402774
Are there any? I haven't seen anything.

I find VR more promising for professional applications than games, to be honest.

>>52402779
Oh, sorry, a cell phone screen with sensors. So impressive.

>>52402786
I'm not him, dipshit.
>>
>>52402805
Yet it's cheaper than constantly pushing the envelope. NASA has been doing that for half a century and while they have certainly advanced the state of the art, they haven't improved the economics of space flight at all. Space launch doesn't need to be shiner, it needs to be cheap.

Also, the Merlin has the highest thrust-to-weight ratio in liquid rocketry. It's a simple design but it's not some shitty Estes toy.
>>
>>52402814
I can tell you've never played something like Elite Dangerous or a racing sim with head tracking enabled.
Head tracking helped this guy top the leaderboards, for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gJzDgQ6KYo
>>
File: _S0oCn43A7M.jpg (31 KB, 604x461) Image search: [Google]
_S0oCn43A7M.jpg
31 KB, 604x461
>>52402841
exactly.
Some people here are Smartphone generation. Interned didn't change their life since for some it was "always there"

Some people weren't like
>WOW A PORTABLE PHONE I CAN CALL ANYONE ANY TIME
then
>WOW IT CAN ACCESS INTERNET

The are like
>The new iphone is just likje the previous one! OH STAGNATION
>>
>>52402666
to be honest, everything in tech is getting funded.

just look at all those amazing startups from Y Combinator.

Tech is just the new bubble since the whole real estate thing is frowned upon now.
>>
File: sabre_precooler_location_1024.jpg (58 KB, 1024x619) Image search: [Google]
sabre_precooler_location_1024.jpg
58 KB, 1024x619
>>
>>52402893
>gas generator
>RP-1
>not a toy
>>
>>52402937
So then, it's a $600 pay to win scheme. That makes everything better, m8! I've seen the light!
>>
>>52403022
>moving goalposts this hard
>>
>>52403053
Are you seriously implying that because a $600 dollar headset makes you slightly better at games it is a revolutionary piece of technology?
>>
>>52403099
Have you ever tried VR?
>>
>>52403129
I own a DK2.
>>
>>52403099
it makes games harder but it will open a whole new set of experiences to people and will change gaming a lot, first with controllers and head tracking, then with hands tracking.

Oh and did i mention thought reading?
If yesterday they could make a character run around the room with EEG, today they can say what you're thinking about, i believe that might open a lot of opportinities.

Certainly wont give you an edge over other kids in CG:GO but rather will open a massive new experience.
>>
>>52402995
This needs funding. Maybe if they quit being so British and moved to San Jose they could get funding like >>52402939
>>
File: tiresome.png (100 KB, 236x260) Image search: [Google]
tiresome.png
100 KB, 236x260
>>52403129
There's nothing more tiresome than another VR evangelist endlessly accusing people of never having tried VR when faced with any criticism of the technology or even its business prospects.

Give it a rest already honestly, VR is probably not your life. Facebook's holdings don't need defending.
>>
>>52403232
>Facebook
>Implying I preordered a rift
>>
>>52402763
>Being this fucking depressing that you feel the need to project onto others
Fuck off. The things we have today were decades away not even 5 years ago.

Also, 2007 wasn't that long ago. Get off of /g/, kid.
>>
>>52402763
>but human level AI is practically impossible.
Nigga what?
Even if we don't have the smarts in AI research to simulate a human-level intelligence, it really won't be long until our supercomputers (or even high-end desktops) are able to accurately simulate the amount and type of neurons inside a real human brain. We can already do it with worm brains on low-end laptops, and our supercomputers are getting there in terms of raw computing power. At that point it'll literally just be getting an accurate model of a neuron, and running a few billion of those on some server somewhere. Bam, human-level AI.

Of COURSE the actual process is going to be a bit more complicated, but the computing power is going to be there within a decade. The software will follow within the next decade. You just wait and see, faggot.
>>
File: 4.png (25 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
4.png
25 KB, 1000x1500
posting more accurate version
for signularityfags living in denial
>>
>>52403203
I'm sure there will be new experiences, but at the end of the day it won't be enough to move gaming away from monitors/TVs. It will become a side thing that a couple of people have at the most.

>Oh and did i mention thought reading?
[citation desperately needed]
>>
>>52403345
And in 2046 you'll say it's "20 years away" once again, singularityfag. The process is worlds more complicated then you just said. You're right about hardware getting there, but our software won't be there until we understand our own brains (not for fucking eons).
>>
>>52403345
>At that point it'll literally just be getting an accurate model of a neuron, and running a few billion of those on some server somewhere. Bam, human-level AI.
Yeah, because all you need to do to build your own computer from scratch is throw a couple fistfuls of transistors into a lunchbox.
>>
>>52402038
>What is FPGA
>>
>>52402659
gimmick that is getting ruined by greed, fragmentation and there not being any good controls.
Not that games are very immersive and realistic these says anyways, and VR hinges on that.

Just no.
same
Feminist will never allow it even becoming a mass produced thing.
and still no where near useful.

Would a) never be allowed by government institutions and employers. and b) be used to control you.

>>52402730
>I don't really think software is yet up to the task of quick decision making in life threatening situations and dealing with other retards on the road
Noting more than your feelings on the subject. It'll work great soon, driving is not that complicated. The only thing we have to worry about is using this to control use, which it undoubtedly will.
>>
File: sunflower-image-2.jpg (22 KB, 500x413) Image search: [Google]
sunflower-image-2.jpg
22 KB, 500x413
Technology seemed to lose its "retro" and "interesting" luster around 2005-2007.

Anything after that point is Bieber iPhone social media shit.
>>
>>52402036
>Guns haven't changed meaningfully in 70 years
I see you're just retarded.
>>
>>52403512
>and still no where near useful.
From what I've read of ITER it seems pretty promising, its intended successor will actually be hooked up to the power grid too.
>>
There are far more pressing matters at hand.
For instance we need to establish meditation centers where people can safely consume psychedelics.
The other important social issue to solve is voluntary euthanasia.
>>
>>52403469
>Of COURSE the actual process is going to be a bit more complicated
reading comprehension, faggot. It's going to be complicated, but less so than >>52403431 says. Hell, our computers are too slow to run this right now, but a molecular-based physics engine would be able to reconstruct the human brain given enough processing power. Getting that started would be mad simple with our current knowledge of human biology, let alone 20 years from now.

You're also leaving out current AI in this. Our current AI are little more than toys, sure, but they're getting better and better with every iteration. It's not a 50+ year leap to consider an AI that can handle basic programming tasks, or an AI that assists somehow in neurological study.

Is the singularity as near as some say it is? No, but it's not impossible, either.
>>
>>52403512
>Just no.
here >>52402995
>>52403512
>Feminist
Feminism is not a thing in 90% of the world, suffer murrican.
>>
The military technology world wide is one of the fastest growing fields of tech, we just won't see any if it for 20-30 years. There's also quantum computers that are starting to take off.
>>
ITT:
>waaah this year's iphone looks just like last year's, technology is stagnant
>>
>>52403495
And what does that have to do with innovation?

>>52403557
If it was worth anything other than clickbait for popsci enthusiasts it would be all over the news.

>>52403590
>but a molecular-based physics engine would be able to reconstruct the human brain given enough processing power
What makes you believe this?
>>
>>52403557
>ITER
> >30 years long project
>$15B
>no we have ONLY chance, and screw that testing good enough enough concepts would be cheaper and faster
>Most likely it was made just as a steady source of income for scientists
>construction hasn't even started yet
>we need more time
>W7-X is more promising and cheaper

>still having hopes

topkek
>>
>>52402036
>Guns haven't changed meaningfully in 70 years
Try nearly 500 (and probably longer).

Why can't we think of a gun that doesn't just shoot a projectile?
>>
>>52403567
this guy knows
>>
>>52403632
>Feminism is not a thing in 90% of the world, suffer murrican.
Feminism is a thing in the countries that develop new tech, drive innovation, and are the primary markets(eg USA, EU, australia..), except for Korea and japan, but they are gynocentric in other ways. Japan is the only country where sex bots are plausible. The rest of the world is just underdeveloped shitholes, generally too traditionalist and poor to get sex robots too.
>>
>>52401749
>tech isn't advanced enough for me
How old are you?? In the time that I've been alive (since 1989) we've seen the internet blow up in usage, wireless practically everything, smart phones faster than the fastest computers even a decade age in everyone's pocket giving you access to all of human knowledge and even people on the other side of the planet instantly, robots on Mars, genome sequenced and a shit ton more. Just because you don't have muh flying card and hover boards doesn't mean there world isn't significantly advanced.

>mfw you couldn't be sure someone was alive or dead once they left their home back in the bad old days
>>
I do believe that technology will actually begin to slow down. It will never stop advancing though.

I've heard the buzzwords "glass age" being thrown around quite a lot recently, and I believe that's where we are heading. The things Corning are doing will glass is unreal, and it's only getting better.
Expect glass technology to get crazy, soon.
>>
>>52403715
>give computer realistic chemical/molecular model
>give computer realistic model of egg and sperm
>give computer a few decades to churn out the eventual result of those chemical reactions
>full virtual model of a human
>with a brain
It's like you didn't even read my post
>>
>>52403274
>The things we have today were decades away not even 5 years ago.
Maybe semi-mainstream 3D printing, high PPI displays and the technologies they enabled. Possibly batteries too.

Other than that?

Meme tech like smartphones, smartwatches and ultrabook-like portables have been around in varying forms for decades before Apple made them cool.

SBCs like the RPi were possible but nobody wanted them until marketers figured out a way to sell them in bulk to "maker" hipsters.

Silly shit like the IoT isn't some feat of implausible engineering, just companies responding to the waves of consumers who feel every mundane thing they do must be plastered on facebook in real-time

>>52403590
>but a molecular-based physics engine would be able to reconstruct the human brain given enough processing power.
And all the Itanium needed was a compiler.

>Getting that started would be mad simple with our current knowledge of human biology, let alone 20 years from now.
Which is and will continue to be literally jack shit for quite a while.

>You're also leaving out current AI in this. Our current AI are little more than toys, sure, but they're getting better and better with every iteration. It's not a 50+ year leap to consider an AI that can handle basic programming tasks, or an AI that assists somehow in neurological study.
It's perfectly possible, though those jobs will probably be fulfilled more effectively by smarter software, rather than a full-blown intelligence.
>>
>>52403791
>>give computer realistic chemical/molecular model
>>give computer realistic model of egg and sperm
Yay, in 300 years we'll have computers powerful enough to model those realistically.
>>
>>52403796
>It's perfectly possible, though those jobs will probably be fulfilled more effectively by smarter software, rather than a full-blown intelligence.
Sure, but if our eventual goal is a generalized strong AI, we're going to need some superhuman brains to assist in making it. AIs are already better at humans at a very few tasks, and that list of tasks is growing bigger every day. Soon it'll be code monkey-ing, which frees up a bunch of human resources to be dedicated towards making a stronger AI.
>>
>>52403775
>smart phones faster than the fastest computers even a decade ago
Autism and all, but I hate when people throw this shit around. Your smartphone with its gimped SoC and limp dick memory bandwidth isn't as even close to fast as a supercomputer from even the '90s no matter what theoretical peak ratings a shitty synthetic benchmark gives it.
>>
>>52403772
>Feminism is a thing in the countries that develop new tech, drive innovation
iPhones and video games are not technology.

Japan is the land of future living life and having problems your "first world" will only have in future.
And they don't have your morbid form of feminism which is exclusive to US.
>>
>>52401749
wow, i cant believe you came to such a conclusion just yesterday
>>
>>52403854
>super computer
Sorry I was talking consumer grade. Your friend's high end comp from 2006 is dogshit compared to a galaxy s6.
>>
>>52403763
He's sort of right though. Noting much has happened with firearms since '44 and Sturmgewehr 44.
Attachments got much better though

>>52403781
>The things Corning are doing will glass is unreal
hard mode: only bring up things that actually exist (on market)
Not really. Still fragile as fuck compared to plastic phones before them. And still scratched by sand.
>>
>>52403885
>Your friend's high end comp from 2006 is dogshit compared to a galaxy s6.
Not really. I'd like to see your toy computer take on my loaded Precision T7400 in real work.
>>
>>52402763
>>internet
>>a small computer with access to alll human knowledge in your pocket
>Oh boy, muh iphone that's been out since 2007 is revoolushunareee!!
just no...
>>virtual reality around the corner
>Gimmicky failure. It will go the way of the kinect.
just no...
>>affordable space tourism aroun the corner
>Highly doubtful. No progress has been made since the virgin galactic failure and it will be for the hyper rich anyway.
just no...
>>succesfill thought reading experiments
>Dnews and Vsauce isn't a good source, lad.
just no...
>>advancement of robototechnology leading to replace real women with nice gynoids
>Complete bullshit. Robotics is getting better, but human level AI is practically impossible.
just no...
>>self driving cars
>Fails in bad weather.
just no...
>>experiments on nuclear fusion advancing
>"will be ready in 20 years" just like 20 years ago, huh?
just no...
>>cyborg arms for cripples and cyborg legs
>I haven't looked into this, but it sounds like popsci bullshit. Perhaps you have a source?
just no...
>>possible enhancement of human mind with electronics
>This IS popsci bullshit. We are not even a modicum closer to knowing how the brain works.
just no...
>>So fucking mundane it hurts!
>>Life is standing still!
>>Humanity is rotting alive!
>Nice denial, lad.
just no...
>>
>>52403859
>Japan is the land of future living life
Doubtful, with their economy. We'll see.

>your morbid form of feminism which is exclusive to U
I'm not american. And it's exclusive to all rich white countries basically.
>>
>>52403943
why did you even bother posting that garbage?
>>
>>52403942
>real work
Yeah OK.
>>
>>52402763
>Oh boy, muh iphone that's been out since 2007

I was 22 in 2007. I know it must seem like a lifetime ago to some 13-year-old faggot, but try and have some perspective.
>>
>>52403967
it's satire, I'm sorry if you are too dumb to see it
>>
>>52403822
>300 years
Our consumer level laptops are able to do that with worms already, faggot.
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-05/open-source-virtual-worm-will-bring-predictive-modeling-living-organisms
Our current best supercomputer is 33,862.7 Teraflops. It's not that long until that scales into enough to simulate the full weight and volume of an average human, COMPLETELY ignoring any kind of optimizations.
>>
>>52403943
Bravo with that detailed, insightful post.
>>
>>52403975
>post dumb useless shit
>get called out
>IT'S SATIRE CAN'T YOU SEE????
kill self family
>>
>>52401841
Fuck off retard
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (135 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
135 KB, 1920x1080
I wonder if japan one day goes away from sexual reproductin into some artificial selective form of it going into ubermensh future.
>>
>>52403980
>>52403991
see >>52403512

it was a parody attempt at dumbfucks arguing against the bright technological future

you guys are so fucking dumb it physically hurts me
>>
>>52403976
might be useful for medicine. like CAD type of simulations today
>>
>>52404006
It came off as dull and stupid. There will be no bright technological future, that's why you're shitposting instead of bringing good arguments—you have none.
>>
>>52404033
>instead of bringing good arguments
like the guys who reply with:

>something that's going to happen
LOL IT WON'T HAPPEN, SEE THE FUTURE IS SHIT! YOU ARE SHIT!

these are sure convincing
such a great thread
>>
>>52404028
Yeah, but the point still stands that you can use it to simulate a real human brain if you wanted to, leading to strong AI. A few years after that's introduced, and you'll be able to iteratively simulate thousands of generations of humans every day until you arrive at a human brain far more intelligent than any living human.

That's only a few decades off.
>>
>>52403976
>302
>compared to 86 billion for a human
>~6393 synapses
>compared to fucking 1 quadrillion in a human brain
Yeah we're just about there!!!!1111
>>
>>52404063
Are you retarded? Most of the things we're arguing against will happen, but will just be ultimately useless. Just because you're in denial doesn't make it false.
>>
>>52403964
>with their economy.
japan is a counry with no ntural resourses and even unable to survive without exporting food.

Their only way to make money is hi-tech, and i don't mean iphone-tech, actual technology.
For an example they make world's finest and most perfect engines so far with 42 compression ration the rest of the world used to think was impossible to achieve.
>>
>>52403859
This is hot for some reason
>>
>>52403968
Exactly what I thought.
>>
>>52403859
>living life
as opposed to non-living life you failed weaboo abortion?

enjoy getting cucked by China
>>
ITT: Depressed faggots stay depressed.

personally I'm quite optimistic about machine learning and "dumb" ai work that's going on, that and biotech advancing super fucking fast.
>>
>>52404093
>japan is a counry with no ntural resourses

Exactly, so if their economy fails (more) they're fucked since they rely completely on trade.
>>
>>52404152
ITT: projecting tripfags believe popsci clickbait articles mean something is "advancing super fucking fast".
>>
>>52404152
The only way to be optimistic is to be uninformed and/or don't care. like a normie.
>>
>>52404077
Yep. You're thinking of processing power linearly, not exponentially. That's consumer grade hardware that can do that easily, supercomputers are exponentially better already (the fastest supercomputer right now is actually not finished, and is expected to be 50k+ teraflops when it's done). That's much higher than a decade ago, and 2 decades ago was an even bigger gap.
>>
>>52404157
Something makes me think it only will make them work even more desperate and actually achieve more than the rest so they will have shit to sell.

They are like the exact oposite of resource-selling countries that don't do shit, just pump oil and buy tech for it.
>>
>>52404101
Why would I try to argue your bullshit when you know I'm right. The hardware in phones today is better than what shit we had in desktops even 10 years ago much less what our parents had in their day which was OPs original argument. Everything is advancing. You're just too young to have perspective on it.
>>
>>52404176
>>52404182

I have friends in both domains, that are doing things that weren't considered "possible" a year or so ago.
Biotech especially, he works on cancer killing non ferromagnetic not quite nano robotics.
I couldn't tell you what machine learning relative does because I don't quite get it, something about extrapolating formal rules from large data sets.
>>
>>52402419
>So, basically you just have blind faith that things will change

It's not blind faith you retard, it's a reasonable assumption based on observable trends in technology.

The first iteration of a new piece of tech is going to be expensive, but as the technology matures, the price drops and it becomes accessible to a wider audience. This happened with computers, flat screen TVs, smartphones, DVD players, and pretty much every piece of consumer tech that ever became popular. There is no reason to believe that VR will be any different
>>
File: 14502866395470.jpg (44 KB, 604x524) Image search: [Google]
14502866395470.jpg
44 KB, 604x524
BTW this thread seems to be forgetting about quantum computers being confirmed real.

in it's current state it can't be a personal computer thing, unless you have personal sypply of liquid nytrogen.
But it's such a massive step forvard computing might get centralized and you will be using your portable terminals to access public hardware servers which might be like massive quantum supercomputers.
>>
>>52404212
By what metric? I didn't know there was a smartphone that could run a real multitasking operating system, accept 128+ GB of RAM, have a GPU capable enough for *modern* 3D rendering or other graphical work, and have a processor that can take on sandy bridge i7s or smoke a pair of high-end Core 2 Xeons. Hell, I doubt a flagship could even take on a Q6600 in something banal like surfing facebook.
>>
>>52404152
Not depressed, just realistic and not some Carl Sagan wannabe tryhard trying to over-romanticise shitty pop-sci inventions.

I still appreciate technology and even have some optimistic views towards current development, VR and AR tech in particular has a ton of potential applications outside of the gaymer gimmick shit consumertards and clickbait blogs are jacking off about. But other than higher PPI displays and better battery tech, shit is the same or worse as it was since 2007 other than a few niche technologies being popularized by Apple and "maker" hipsters.
>>
>>52404293
Literally retarded.

Desctop computers didn't have 128RAM 10 years ago, neither they do today.
And non-apple smartphoes are capable of real multitasking and 3d rendering better than consoles.
>>
>>52404267
TRUE CLOUD COMPUTING IT'S OGRE
>>
>>52404210
Yet they have large economic problems at the moment. Japan is more deluded into escapist fantasies than any other country. Will they look away from their problems until it's too late?
>>
>>52404243
Ok. But if you outlook is significantly optimistic you are either ignorant or apathetic to the way the world is going.
>>
>>52404343
they are having future problems.
With advanced medicine oldmen are living too long and just won't die draining economy on their pensions while not working anymore.

If anything they need to learn living slower or something, like being a kid until 20 and working until 100.
>>
>>52404378
Man don't get me wrong I fucking hate what the world is at the moment, and I don't see any short term improvement but I know tech is advancing and no one can really deny that, especially if you happen to work in the sector or know people that do.
>>
>>52404243
Just by your dodgy typing style I can tell that not even you believe what you're saying.

>I have friends in both domains, that are doing things that weren't considered "possible" a year or so ago.

Possible in quotes because they likely very much were considered possible a year ago.

>Biotech especially, he works on cancer killing non ferromagnetic not quite nano robotics.

Not at all nano robots. And I bet money someone diagnosed with cancer 5 years from now won't get treatment with these, because it's experimental popsci bullshit.

>I couldn't tell you what machine learning relative does because I don't quite get it, something about extrapolating formal rules from large data sets.

Sounds like you copy and pasted that from a shitty clickbait article. If you (or anyone else) can't explain how this significantly affects anything, it's probably because it doesn't significantly affect anything.

>>52404254
>There is no reason to believe that VR will be any different
Except that VR is utterly inferior to a simple monitor even if it was cheap. You still need 95 fps to avoid sickness, and at the end of the day it's just a screen on your face with head tracking. Yay...
>>
>>52404441
>>Sounds like you copy and pasted that from a shitty clickbait article. If you (or anyone else) can't explain how this significantly affects anything, it's probably because it doesn't significantly affect anything.

so first of all, that's a nice ad-hominem you've got there but whatever.

If I tell you there's development happening and I know of it because I know the people actually pursuing it, doesn't that basically nullify whatever you were trying to say ?
It is undeniable research is being done, it is undeniable progress is being achieved, what is questionable is the rate but I'd rather take the words of people I know work in their respective fields rather than your own depressed little dramatic statement anon. Perhaps consider seeing a psychologist for your depression ? I heard it helps.
>>
>>52404537
>all these blind claims about mental health
>>
>>52404570
>not an actual refutal of my point

okay anon, glad that's settled.
Go and spew your pessimism at other people now.
>>
>>52404433
Okay then. Yeah it's advancing. Question is will we get that tech at all, if so at what cost?
>>
File: future is ar.jpg (174 KB, 1123x842) Image search: [Google]
future is ar.jpg
174 KB, 1123x842
>>52403896
>Noting much has happened with firearms since '44 and Sturmgewehr 44.
>lighter aluminum alloy frames in pistols replaced steel frames
>lighter polymer frames replaced alloy frames
>double stack magazines became standard on pistols
>melonited barrels now last longer than chrome lined barrels while not negatively affecting accuracy like chrome lining
>standards for mounting optics and other shit
>semi auto rifles moved to mechanism where the bolt locks into a front trunnion/barrel extension instead of the receiver, allowing for receivers to be made out of aluminum and later polymer instead of steel and making them lighter and cheaper to manufacture
>synthetic/composite rifle stocks replace wood stocks

And yet to come
>current LSAT program that's working on new ammunition designed around using a polymer case (to avoid the problems associated with polymer cased versions of current ammunition) that allows 5.56x45mm performance to be replicated in a round that's about 40% lighter and 30% shorter (same size as .357 magnum and could actually comfortably fit into a magazine that inserts into the grip like a pistol) and uses a new action that allows for about a 4" longer barrel in the same length gun with the same magazine location (not going to bullpup), beyond improvements noticeable by the soldiers the lighter and smaller ammunition also improves logistics which pretty much guarantees its adoption
>XM25 air burst grenade launcher finally goes into service late this year/early next year
>current experiments with active stabilizing rifle stocks (think steadicam) like pic related which have in testing allowed people to achieve similar accuracy to shooting from a bench rest while standing unsupported
>>
>>52404592
You hardly even had a point.
>technology is advancing albeit at a retardedly slow rate
That doesn't even contradict OP.
>>
>>52402004
You seem to be forgetting that as short a time as a decade ago there WAS no thing as an iphone. This line is pure bullshit
>We simply won't see the kind of advancement our parents did over their lives.
Even just recently we're starting to get high quality VR headsets, and advancements in AI and robotics like self driving cars and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8YjvHYbZ9w
>>
File: 1410197812819.jpg (21 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
1410197812819.jpg
21 KB, 260x260
People who are whining about the current pace of technological development are probably millennials who weren't around to experience what the rate of technological advancement has always been.

Take the television for example. Development started in the late 1800s, but it didn't become consumer tech until the 1920s. It took until 1972 for color TVs to outsell black and white ones, a full FIFTY FUCKING YEARS after the TVs first hit the market. Fifty years, just to go from black and white to color TV.

Now children on 4chan are whining because smartphones came out, like, 10 years ago, and they're not exciting enough anymore. VR somehow doesn't count as advancement in technology, despite the fact that it is only just now getting to a point where it is actually usable. I bet these were the same people making comments on social media about how we still didn't have hoverboards in 2015.
>>
>>52404624
>retardedly slow rate
Compared to what ?
Tech is advancing faster than ever before...
You're just not aware of it because you sit at home lamenting.

>>52404603
At some point surely, why wouldn't we ?
>>
>>52404694
>Tech is advancing faster than ever before...
In terms of raw computer power sure, but as far as innovations/inventions go it's slowed to a crawl.
>>
>>52404725
it is the digital age, so that's where most innovation will come from, but just look at spaceX, that's pretty fucking huge.
I'm a jaded ass-hole too, I feel bad for humanity when I see bs like solar roadways but I still know that whatever we do there will be advancement.
>>
>>52404725
you just got 3d printers fucktard and multi axis CAM

They are invaluable for development and prototyping of everything and all consumer products making everything better as a result.
You are just a whiny little bitch moaning about smartphones not being exciting anymore.
>>
>>52404331
Yes computers have and do support up to 128 GB of ram . The motherboards are just expensive .

http://m.newegg.com/ProductList?Keyword=128gb%20motherboard

Truth is technology isn't advancing at the same pace . The fastest smartphone is not as fast as even a high end gaming PC from 10 years ago .
>>
>>52404441
>Except that VR is utterly inferior to a simple monitor even if it was cheap.

Unless you want an experience that's actually immersive. And if you're going to claim that there's no difference, then you are pretty much confirmed for never actually having tried VR.

>You still need 95 fps to avoid sickness

So? This will only be a problem for 1-2 more years. The minimum recommended specs for the Oculus rift actually aren't that high and would be considered mid-tier hardware nowadays.

>and at the end of the day it's just a screen on your face with head tracking. Yay...

One that succeeds very well in producing its intended optical illusion. Even the DK2 was impressive in this regard.
>>
>muh smartphones
>Hurr durr technology
>fps derp
>>
File: nuconvmx42sr cutting.jpg (3 MB, 2896x1944) Image search: [Google]
nuconvmx42sr cutting.jpg
3 MB, 2896x1944
>>52404919
whoopsie, there's a picture with advancing technology.
>>
>>52403011
What's wrong with RP-1 and gas generator cycles? They're simple and they work.

>muh LH2
>muh SSME
>>
>>52402805
If complexity is great, why was the Space Shuttle so expensive and inefficient? $18,000 per kilogram to LEO is the pinnacle of launch vehicle technology? No reliable escape system during the initial ascent is the pinnacle of launch vehicle technology?

Rather than being a means of cheap access to space, that whole program was a ball and chain that kept our manned exploration program in LEO.
>>
>>52402096
>but Virtual Reality is just a marketing buzzword for putting screens on your face with a strap.

pure ignorance.

the internet was a fad too, right?
>>
>>52402221
>Virtual reality
>Won't take off. It is simply too expensive. The oculus rift is selling at $599 and it is being sold at a loss. On top of that you need a top-of-the-line rig to run it especially since you need 95fps to not get motion sickness. I doubt the vive will be cheaper since it uses superior technology.

How fucking dumb can you be?

You're using a computer arent you? Do you have any idea how inaccessible, huge and expensive the earliest computers were? By your logic, computers should have never taken off.

Get a fucking education.
>>
File: 1425939584385.jpg (46 KB, 473x500) Image search: [Google]
1425939584385.jpg
46 KB, 473x500
I can't wait to laugh at all you retards in 15 years.

Especially the VR is a gimmick meme.
>>
>>52405210
>>52405237
You fags don't realize that computers and the internet had real practical applications. VR can do nothing a monitor can't do.
>b-b-but muh IMMERSHUUUN!!

Not worth the price and isn't that great to begin with.
>>
this generation debate is pretty interesting

if we keep tying generations to technological advancement, generations will get shorter and shorter

even in this thread you can tell the people that grew up while things like the internet, cell phone, & smart phones came along are different from the people that dont know what it was like without those things

really makes u think
>>
>>52405294
You know what? I'll recreate these threads along the way. Just so you fags can remember. When in 2030 all we have are higher resolutions and the same shitty iphones but faster you can eat shit.
>>
>>52405294
The sad thing about morons spamming their moronic views, is that they're never held accountable for them.

Like people in finance, who are constantly predicting crashes and so on. Then that one time they're finally right, they're like "SEE, I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO", and somehow everyone looks past their past idiocy and praises them.

Plus they'll just go "Na i was only talking about the Rift and Vive! AND I WAS RIGHT, THEY SOLD LIKE SHIT!"

>>52405312
If you don't understand how being in an alternate reality has practical applications, there's no hope for you...
- Military training
- Medical training
- architectural applications (being able to build a house and move around in it in VR
- endless more possibilities

Every household will have a VR headset within 20 years.
>>
>>52405354
Please do so, it will allow me to laugh harder as your updates become more and more delusional.
>>
>>52405350
The thing is that our grand grand fathers have lived to see the change that electricity, trains and airplanes have brought.

Like holy fuck imagine how life changed when electricity became a thing.
I'm not sure what can change our life so tadically, unless it's actually consumer grade androids.
>>
>>52405312
you clearly haven't used VR if you liken it to looking at a screen

its a big a difference as playing games with pen and paper, and playing games on a computer

yes, the first few generations wont be mindblowing, but neither were the first PC games

youre just like the naysayers through history, who said personal computers would never take off, and that the internet was useless.
>>
>>52405435
>but neither were the first PC games
actually tetris caused massive downfall in productivity worldvide.

Tetris was so mindblowing people wouldn't go to work in the morning, the'll just tetris all day.
My father told me he had lost his in his life when he was my age and the first videogames came out.
>>
>>52405514
>his in his life
I meant to say "his job"
>>
File: 1447378345056.gif (607 KB, 800x792) Image search: [Google]
1447378345056.gif
607 KB, 800x792
>>52405312
>VR can do nothing a monitor can't do.

A color monitor can do nothing a black and white monitor can't do. Except, you know, display color.

>inb4 wide field of view and head tracking don't actually count as features

>mfw c'ucks will spend $600 on a multi-monitor setup when they could have had a virtual desktop that encompasses their entire vision

stay salty, poorfags
>>
>>52401749
Kiddo doesn't get it. He grows up with constant change and therefore is unable to recognize it.
>>
File: Tbrd4Q.jpg (101 KB, 850x284) Image search: [Google]
Tbrd4Q.jpg
101 KB, 850x284
>>52405548
Pretty sure we are headed into another dark age myself, totaitarian states rising, spook spy industrial complex, resources running down, pope of rome still around...it was pretty exciting at first but future looks grim really and history always repeats forever and ever.
>>
>>52405514
>thinking tetris was one of the first pc games

tetris was created 12 years after pong.

in 12 years, VR is going to be in every fucking household, and you can bet its going to cause a downfall in productivity worldwide. people will finally be able to escape their shitty lives and do something fun.
>>
>>52405514
i dont think that actually happened. ive never heard of something so stupid before. i think it was just your dad being a degenerate. looks like it might be in your genetics.
>>
>>52405548
M8, today you woke up, checked your smartphone, cooked breakfast, and drove your car to work. You will do the same tomorrow and 10 years from now. The tech won't change.
>>
>>52402623
>>52402792
>These posts in a nutshell

Failed attempt at quoting from babby's first nanoscience class.
>>
>>52405730
In 10 years, i expect my car will drive me to work.

Enjoy your manual labor, peasant.
>>
>>52405687
I'm not a retard arguing evident advance in every field of human activity.

However the point is that there are no shocking REVOLUTIONS only slow and not so shocking evolution. your every statement is valid, but nobody's gonna pee his pants and go crazy about those.
There's nothing REVOLUTIONARY only evolution.

Nothing in predictable future is going to makes our lifes go CRAZY like new electricity or new internet. I don't think this generation is going to be futureshocked by groundbreaking radical changes in their lives.
>>
>>52405800
>I don't think this generation is going to be futureshocked by groundbreaking radical changes in their lives.

youd be suprise
>>
File: palmpilot.jpg (468 KB, 1408x2000) Image search: [Google]
palmpilot.jpg
468 KB, 1408x2000
>>52405730
I remember when I was in middle school, this was the closest thing we had to a smartphone.

Shit changes.
>>
>>52405800
What you've got to understand, is that none of these things you think were MIND BLOWING REVOLUTIONS happened fast. They happened very slowly, over decades.

They were a slow evolution. No one 'went crazy and peed their pants' over them, because it hapepned so slowly.

At first it was just like, "oh, i can get light from this new thing instead of candles? thats kind of neat i guess".

>I don't think this generation is going to be futureshocked by groundbreaking radical changes in their lives.
On the contrary, i think VR is one of the biggest WOW REVOLUTIONARY things in history. When you try the DOTA demo on Vive for the first time, woweee.

Countless people in the tech industry who try VR simply quit their jobs to start new companies, because the experience was so mindblowing.
>>
Be glad that you don't have to upgrade your PC constantly, as it used to be

It's a much cheaper hobby nowadays
>>
>>52405885
it's around the corner.

Nextgen 4k VR becoming a standard will make you get a new one
>>
>>52405921
Ehhh, not really, as there's no hardware that could really power two 4k displays at 90fps.
>>
>>52405736
that image is wrong its

have you ever been so far as decided to use even go want to do look more like
>>
>>52402031

You don't seem to understand what "important" innovations are..

Transistors were a big change, soap was a big change. Things that lead to a completely new market behaviour or affec everday live.

>Virtual reality

..is a thing since the 80s. Nobody really wants it.

>reusable rockets

It's called "space shuttle" and after 30 years the programm has already ended in 2011.

>enhanced glasses

LOL, you mean "google iSpy"? Absolutely. Not.

About 37% of the internet is porn.

>drones

Military drones changed warfare a tiny bit, but civil drones are old and also just toys for geeks.

>selfdriving cars

There's still a looong way to to until they will become generally accepted. Too riksy, high costs, no obvious advantages (since you'll always need to control it anyway)..
At least 100 years until they will become everyday life.
>>
File: 1450297260101.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1450297260101.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>>52405950
HE SAID IN THE FUTURE.

The future isn't now. It's later, much later.
>>
>>52405950
they will have to make it ofcourse.

The advancement depends on demandand competition. AMD fucked up - Intel guys don't have to work.
No new games - GPU guys don't have to work.

If Zen rocks or if there's a demand for whole new level GPUs they will just make them.
And don't worry, silicon is cheap, pricerange shoouldn't change, or it will go down if AMD comes back to business.
>>
>>52405961
>nobody really wants virtual reality
>nobody really wants a form of entertainment and escape from reality
that explains why every company under the sun is investing in it and the available versions are sold out and shipping pushed several months because demand was so high

i want you to know virtual reality was NOT a thing in the 80s, it was not a thing in the 90s, it was not even a thing in the 00s. no virtualboy isnt virtual reality, the technology wasn't there but now it is
>>
File: FusionFuture_USbudget_profile.jpg (75 KB, 819x449) Image search: [Google]
FusionFuture_USbudget_profile.jpg
75 KB, 819x449
>>52403725
Blame your government and the army of oil shills surrounding them. Flat budget means a decreasing budget in real terms, now compare that to cash that the oil industry gets for their subsidies and you'll see why ITER is failing to deliver. If only scientists were magical, then maybe they could come up with more than jackshit without the necessary resources and funds.
>>
>>52405961
>..is a thing since the 80s. Nobody really wants it.

Anyone who makes a claim like this automatically exposes themselves as a retard. Do you think the Virtual Boy was anything like the Rift? The difference is that previous iterations of the tech weren't usable for more than 5 minutes without causing nausea and eye strain. Of course people didn't want that. That doesn't mean that people don't want VR that's actually good.
>>
>>52405961
VR is all about Presence.

Presence is basically your brain being tricked into thinking what its seeing is real.

The upcoming consumer VR headsets are the first consumer devices that provide at least some presence.

Everything else is not actually VR.
>>
>>52402221
>>drones
>What are they even useful for other than military? Spying on your neighbor?
Yes.
>>
>>52405961
Just because the word VR has been misused a lot in the past, does not mean it's being misused now.
>>
>>52406152
>it's being misused now.
It actually IS.

Presence effect with best 3d goggles doesn't make your videogame a virtual reality.
>>
>>52406043

>nobody really wants a form of entertainment and escape from reality

Equivocation fallacy. If you look at it like this, Shakespear is also "virtual reality".

>why every company under the sun is investing in it

*citation needed

>i want you to know virtual reality was NOT a thing in the 80s

Little do you know, youngling.

http://www.lollercoasterlab.com/2013/03/virtual-reality.html

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-12-reality-crumbles-whatever-happened-to-vr
>>
>>52403974
get off /g/, grandma.
>>
>>52406189
>Equivocation fallacy. If you look at it like this, Shakespear is also "virtual reality".
so you dont know how to read

>*citation needed
you dont even know how to read, why should i bother

>Little do you know, youngling.
none of those links say anything relevant, learn to read you stupid fucking retard
>>
>>52406187
>resence effect with best 3d goggles doesn't make your videogame a virtual real

As someone who's used the Vive Pre, i can tell you that it actually does. Some of the demos on it are breathtaking and mind blowing.

I felt like i was there. No, i didn't FEEL like i was there. I WAS THERE.

To me, that makes it VR.

Maybe you draw the arbitrary line elsewhere, maybe you'll need Matrix level VR to acutally consider it VR.

In the end, the Vive is an incredible experience, and its not overhyped.
>>
>>52406140
>drones
>spying
>not based labour drones for farms and construction, utilising swarm robotics for maximum effect
Are you even trying, anon?
>>
>>52406092
>>52406138

It's not even about technical limitations. It's about want people WANT. If you have no one who's gonna buy it, it won't get produced. That's all.

Stuff like Wii is about as high as people are willing to take immersion. There's plenty of helmets, goggles and so on. But people won't feel comfortable with it, it's a psychological issue. So no matrix for you, sorry.
>>
>>52401749

what if I told you that I am actually a computer... and the singularity has already been reached.

quick give me a turning test.
>>
File: 490720-vive-pre-steamvr-headset.jpg (139 KB, 740x417) Image search: [Google]
490720-vive-pre-steamvr-headset.jpg
139 KB, 740x417
>>52406267
Older people are uncomfortable with headphones like
>I hate not hearing what's going on around me
But younger people are eating sleeping and shitting in headphones.

Give it little time and kids will be walking around seeing world through the front camera.
>>
>>52406304

r u computers?
>>
>>52406326

yes
>>
>>52406215
4chan has existed since 2003.. you get off, newfag. while you're at it, never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.
>>
>>52406230

>so you dont know how to read

I was merely trying to show you that "nobody really wants virtual reality" is not even close to "nobody really wants a form of entertainment and escape from reality". You can't argue about technical terms and use them as you want.

>you dont even know how to read, why should i bother

Yes I do. Making big claims like " every company under the sun is investing in it" needs some backup. But you don't have one and start to throw ad hominems.

>none of those links say anything relevant, learn to read you stupid fucking retard

Maybe you should just read them? But even if you just looked at the pictures it should have given you some insight about how much a thing virtual reality was in the 80s and 90s..
>>
File: habbening.gif (2 MB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
habbening.gif
2 MB, 360x240
>>52406338
>>
>>52406267
People have wanted VR since the DK1 came out.
>>
File: HOLT-sub-popup.jpg (85 KB, 470x500) Image search: [Google]
HOLT-sub-popup.jpg
85 KB, 470x500
Been alive for 23 years now, here is the list of noteworthy technological advancements:
>touch screens
>faster/smaller computers
>3D printing
>shittier games but graphixx yo
>siri and cortana
>self-checkouts
>netflix
>webms

Just think about how it affects your daily life, you'll notice the small things where they weren't there before. Trying to predict the future is silly, and technology always plays second fiddle (correct idiom?) to economics and cultures and shit like that. We're not going to have all this cool shit if feminists and jews say money should go towards stupid shit. It seems to me like our mileau has been catering to feelings and hedonism the past few years, and logical and reasonable ideas are put behind those that ensure "positive feelings" and don't have any practical ROI - they just fix the here and now.

Meanwhile... concerning psychological developments... it's like the Golden Age. So I guess I have that to look forward to.
>>
>>52406460

people wanted VR in the 80s and 90s, but it required you to go to places like state fairs / amusement parks to try it out back then because it required much more powerful computers than any home PC could handle and it was clunky even on those (very low polygon count and frame rate)

i think it'll be big, and this gen is just the first step
>>
>>52405365
>If you don't understand how being in an alternate reality has practical applications, there's no hope for you...
>- Military training
If you want to train for the military you need to shoot a real gun and throw grenades. Also, you'll have to practice feeling the pain of watching your buddy bleed out.
>>
My first computer had 64 KiB of RAM and stored programs on tape.
Quite a bit has changed since then.
>>
>>52406522
>i think it'll be big

Not this year. Oculus made sure of that.
>>
File: sony_morpheus__.jpg (20 KB, 840x485) Image search: [Google]
sony_morpheus__.jpg
20 KB, 840x485
>>52406619
Forget oculus.
They started it, Valve, Sony, HTC will finish it.

Zukerburger can stick it up his ass, he might own Oculus, he can't own VR itself.
>>
>>52406361
>Making big claims like " every company under the sun is investing in it" needs some backup.
Facebook, Valve, HTC, Samsung, and Sony have made significant investments in VR, to name a few. This isn't counting the dozens of companies that have invested in making content for VR rather than hardware.
>>
>>52406691
So they invested in making some screens and attaching them to the users face in goggle fashion. Are we supposed to be impressed by this?
>>
>>52404196
CPU performance hasn't been exponential for almost a decade. In 5 years since Sandy Bridge, performance has gone up a whopping 20-35%!
>>
>>52402084
>A 386 is still more useful than a 4004, and both are more useful than a god damn mechanical adding machine. You're using the ambiguous patterns of an advancing technology as a backing argument for complete bullshit.
You try using a 386DX-40 for the same exact basic tasks you'd do on a Duron 1600, while your argument in itself is very true, that's not what he meant.

It used to be that even going up a single speed grade would have a noticeable improvement on EVERYTHING you do. Swapping out your 286-8 for a 486DX-33 would give you a much bigger boost than a couple FPS in games and a theoretical 20% increase in "performance" for select benchmarks and applications. Nowadays your grandma would barely notice if you swapped out her Q6600 for a 6700K.
>>
>>52406766
>moving the goalposts this hard
>>
File: 1419996751802.jpg (62 KB, 500x392) Image search: [Google]
1419996751802.jpg
62 KB, 500x392
>>52406691
>holy shit guys DOZENS of companies are getting in on this, it's like a revolution!
>>
>>52406864

HEY DUDE WE VR NOW

LOOK IT'S EVERYWHERE

WE ARE LIKE PUPPETS IN A VIRTUAL WORLD

JOIN ME IN VIRTUAL WORLDS:

vr: satan777.virtualworldgrotto.10mb.biz.org
>>
File: 1449536773088.png (234 KB, 400x410) Image search: [Google]
1449536773088.png
234 KB, 400x410
>>52406864
So do you have an actual argument or are you content with strawmen?
>>
>>52406977
Not even the guy you're arguing with. I just hate VRfags, don't actually have a problem with the technology itself.
>>
>>52406672
You can bet your sweet ass he'll try, though. And he's probably got enough shekels and lawyers to give it a good old college try and keep them (being, whoever tries to step on his toes) in court for donkey's years.

I reckon VR like Oculus won't be big - that is to say, available on the consumer market in KMart or whatever - for at least another five years, probably closer to ten.

> tfw all I want is a robofu
>>
$599 is literally nothing
>>
>>52407010
> everyone has the same disposable income and financial situation as me
>>
File: cc2.jpg (37 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
cc2.jpg
37 KB, 600x400
>>52407032
>he can't afford $599
>>
>>52407045
>he wastes $599 on plastic trinkets that will be considered trash in a year over some shitty '90s cyberpunk movie fantasy
>>
>>52407045
I can, personally. I don't think I'll drop that much on still-essentially-beta hardware, though. Maybe when it's more mainstream.
>>
>>52407005
If this was true Sony and Valve wouldn't be making it's own goggles.

Sony is FUCING BIG.
>>
>>52407142
> inb4 Facebook and Sony team up for BIGGER PROFITS
>>
>>52406267
This is no different from early personal computers.

No one wanted them, but look at us now.
>>
>>52402221
>drones
will have a lot of industry use like parking inspection and security patrol etc if they can be so licensed.

might mean rip urban exploring

also could be used in farming / agriculture
>>
Why does it seem like there is a group of people so bitter about others being excited for VR, they spend their time trashing it every time someone brings it up.

>VR failed in the 80's that means it's going to fail now!
>VR is just strapping a screen to your face!
>current VR efforts still have some issues to work out, so that means VR is shit and will never happen!
>If it's not a direct neural interface then it's not actually VR!

Don't you guys have home screen threads to post in or something?
>>
The biggest technology we have available right now that would be life changing is next generation fission nuclear reactors. Such as, the LFTR design, which is already proven, yet the government keeps that technology from ever coming to fruition.
>>
Cell phones are pretty amazing.
Back in the days we only had "the phone" in the house.
When you wanted to meet someone you actually had to negotiate a time and place and keep your appointment!
>>
>>52407357
This.

Also cell phones with internet.
INTERNET ANYWHERE
Shit is crazy
>>
>>52402078
>>Social media connecting what where before isolated peoples

I laughed so hard. Nigga, social media does the opposite, it isolates people.
>>
>>52407389
Yes it is. We have a PLANETARY NETWORK that is reachable and affordable virtually everywhere, CORDLESS.
>>
>>52407404
We pretty much had that for over 6 years retard.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.