[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone else considering going to Apple/going back in my case
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
File: macbookairAP_468x579.jpg (28 KB, 468x579) Image search: [Google]
macbookairAP_468x579.jpg
28 KB, 468x579
Is anyone else considering going to Apple/going back in my case because of how little Windows respects your info/freedom?

Same shit with Google.

Linux doesn't have program support.
>>
File: 1448353771863.jpg (146 KB, 960x909) Image search: [Google]
1448353771863.jpg
146 KB, 960x909
>>52400089
You fell for the meme
>>
>>52400089

Linux has a good deal of program support, OP. I'd suggest trying it for a few weeks before coming to any conclusions about going back to (overpriced and walled-garden) Apple. You might be surprised. And if you aren't, well, Apple's not going anywhere.
>>
>>52400089
I went back in Hackintosh form. Havent booted my Windows in ages. Might just format it.
>>
>>52400089
I actually am. I'm just waiting for this year's MacBook Pro refresh then I'm buying a 512 gig model. I fell for the thinkpad meme.
>>
>implying Apple respects your info/freedom.

Linux has more programs than what you need. Even if you need to run Photoshop(or other non supported software) you can use WINE or Virtualization to run it.
>>
>>52400108
OP here, I've been using Linux as a hobby on various computers since 2006.

>>52400125
Apple desktops are more of a ripoff now than ever, it's really my only beef with going back to using Apple products.

>>52400126
I don't trust Lenovo. If it wasn't for the whole superfish thing ( which I know didn't effect Thinkpads), I'd totally be a Thinkpad person. Still have some 90s and early 00s models from IBM.

>>52400169
No it doesn't. The quality of programs is super shit as well, for what it does have.

Why does everyone talk about photoshop? Most people don't use photoshop, it's literally not something most people actually care about.
>>
>>52400205

I have been using Manjaro for a few months now and all programs work better than they do on Windows. The problem is most devs tend to abandon the support for Linux OSes because they don't have enough time to support all the platforms and Linux has the smallest Market Share.

tl;dr if you don't use Linux, there will never be support.
>>
>>52400249
Whether I use it or not has no bearing on support, really. What matters is devs having enough money to continue supporting something. Even the main apps from the Gnome or KDE eco-systems are largely junk.
>>
>>52400276

What do you do that requires constant dev program support?
>>
>>52400089
>Linux doesn't have program support
Wow nice fucking FUD macfaggot windows shill.
GNU/Linux is quite literally the best desktop OS and has unlimited choices to find something that is right for you. It's all for FREE with a huge sideserving of freedom.

No program support? Really? You are a lying piece of shit there is a FOSS alternative to literally anything available on Windows/Mac and it's usually a lot more powerful and just generally better.
It's done in peoples free time because they care about making something great and want to give it awayfor you to use. Who the fuck even are you to start talking shit like this about GNU/Linux and "no program support", kill yourself.
>>
>>52400298
Not really anything, but if a program isn't getting supported eventually it isn't supported anymore or doesn't get new features.

That's not the argument I'm making here, the argument is that even the supported programs are kind of junky. IMHO Linux is still a mess.
>>
File: 610x.jpg (39 KB, 610x406) Image search: [Google]
610x.jpg
39 KB, 610x406
>>52400323
Yeah there are alternatives, just like how del taco is an alternative to chipotle.
>>
>>52400326

Well, enjoy paying more for overpriced Apple products or getting your privacy violated by Microsoft, then. There is no way to be completely satisfied here.
>>
>>52400276

Because both of those DEs are junk nowadays anyway. XFCE is probably the best DE atm, depending on your needs ofc.
>>
>>52400353
Trust me, I'm well aware. You get fucked no matter which way you go, it feels.

>>52400373
I'll take KDE over XCFE. Doesn't XCFE just use a lot of default Gnome shit anyways? It's been years since I've bothered using it.
>>
>>52400089
I went to Linux.
>>
>>52400394

KDE5 is literally shit. It's more buggy than Windows ME and I am using it atm. Sure it works but it's not good. XFCE is much more stable and much more lightweight. No it doesn't use default Gnome shit, just some themes for icons that you can change anyway.
>>
File: 1450712721419.jpg (431 KB, 1000x2284) Image search: [Google]
1450712721419.jpg
431 KB, 1000x2284
>>52400089
>>
>>52400089

I am more likely to just renounce technology completely.

Fuck all this privacy raping bull shit.
>>
>>52400089
No but I AM considering going back to the mobile site if posting is STILL not fixed on Clover
>>
>>52400414
Unity DESU is so buggy right now, so much shit is broken and the workflow is borked. I know KDE 5 has its problems, but fuck Unity.
>>
>>52400089
>going to Apple/going back in my case because of how little Windows respects your info/freedom?
>respects your info/ freedom
>apple
>closed sourced
>freedom
Please tell you you're joking and that this is bait

>inb4 windows or freedom shill
I'm just stating the facts plus I have dual boot hackintosh. If I could get windows 10 performance and not have to buy it I'd go back to windows 7, hell even xp if it still had support.
>>
>>52400502
OP here, I know, I know. Somehow though, Windows 10 became what we all were afraid Apple would do some day, and still haven't done.

I'm still on Windows 7 / Kubuntu. I refuse to go to Windows 10.
>>
>>52400487

I can agree to that. I would probably go for XFCE, LXDE, MATE or Cinnamon personally.
>>
>>52400534

>still haven't done.
Have you ever read Apple's Privacy Policy? http://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/
>>
>>52400089
Dead creator holding a dead tech in a dead thread meme.
>>
>>52400089
i sure did.
Sold nexus 5x for iphone 6s plus
>>
>>52400636
Better than what Microshit is doing.
>>
I would consider using an Apple computer in conjunction with my iPhone. However, Apple's services(Email, contacts, calendars etc) just arent up to snuff. Oh they work fine, I guess, but they are very basic. They are no where near feature parity with Gmail or even Outlook.com. Since I wont be ditching Gmail anytime soon for their stuff, I dont see a lot of reason to pay the premium for Apple computers, at least right now.
>>
File: 1452398907557.png (211 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
1452398907557.png
211 KB, 327x316
>>52400089
>Apple
>respects info/freedom
>mfw

>sage
>>
>>52400681
Fuck, that's a good point. I still like using Google's services, they're just so fucking good.
>>
>>52400089
No really, knowledge about what microsoft telemetry is really getting is all I need to know and knowledge to use their software.
Not just listening to the stupid ass of the internet.
You really deserve a mac.
>>
File: 1446892973209.jpg (70 KB, 725x820) Image search: [Google]
1446892973209.jpg
70 KB, 725x820
>>52400487
>Unity DESU
>DESU
>>
>any windows computer
>boot with hackintosh
Or better yet just buy one of those laptops that come with like ubuntu. This way youre not supporting either terrible trends by both companies
>>
File: 1446816408094.jpg (15 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1446816408094.jpg
15 KB, 480x270
>>52400417
> remotely implying apple needs to shill on /g/ to sell macs
>>
>>52400707
desu desu senpaifam

>>52400706
>he likes microsoft changing his default programs, deleting programs from his computer, laggy default apps, ads in default applications, forced updates, nagging updates, and his OS sending all his info the NSA enthusiastically!
>>
>>52400089

remember when someone hacked iCloud and Jennifer Lawrence's butthole nude pictures were leaked?

You could literally bruteforce anyone's account because there was no password try limit. It had been like that for years dude. What stops Apple from using this lazy shit on all your other shit? Government needs your iCloud data? Shit, just bruteforce it without asking Apple for permission, but they probably could because they were in the PRISM project where they shared data with NSA

steve jobs a shit
>>
>>52400534
I'm the guy you replied to
What exactly are they doing?
I'm currently on windows 10 and I hate how it just randomly shits itself and random compatibility problems. They also took away some of the control you had, my biggest problem being windows update. Besides that it's not bad I guess.
>>
>>52400925
this is a good summary of my problems with it, and other people's problems.

http://pastebin.com/cHndmK4r
>>
>>52400342
Lol both garbage fake americanized mexican food.
>>
>switching to mac because windows doesn't respect your freedom
Out of the frying pan into the fire, bro.
>>
>>52401084
Is that why I always see Mexicans in California eating at Chipotle?
>>
>>52401098
Is that why Microsoft is stomping on your freedoms, and Apple is publicly standing up for personal encryption?
>>
>>52401155

>implying they won't be able to collect all the info they are collecting already
>>
>>52401102
Not that guy but your reasoning is invalid

>Lol both garbage fake americanized mexican food.

>Is that why I always see Mexicans in California eating at Chipotle?

I see Black people eat chicken from KFC, but that doesn't mean it's 100% authentic chicken.
>>
Install gentoo
>>
>>52401404
Jesus christ who the fuck cares about authenticity

There isn't just one culture in Mexico, one food culture

There is no authentic mexican cuisine except for that which emerged in the last 50-100 years as a mish mash of various local cuisines like Sonoran, Mayan, Oaxacan, Zapotec, etc.

Chipotle is perfectly fine northern Mexican food, where they grew rice AND wheat, and made flour tortillas because they tasted better than day old corn tortillas.

Chipotle even uses a white cheese, which is more "authentic" because swiss, german, and Austrian immigrants are the ones who really brought cheese to and created the famous Mexican cheeses, all of which are white.

Mexicans eat a shit ton of salsa, beans, and rice.

Ask Mexicans themselves, they say it's pretty good and nothing weird, and is a lot like what most Mexicans eat every day.

"Authentic" Mexican food is too expensive and takes too long to make for the everyday Mexican.
>>
>>52401404
Chipotle burritos are literally oversized tacos de harina from northern mexico you twit
>>
>>52401079
I have very little, being a couple, of the same problems or I don't use any of the stuff that's listed on that link. The way I use windows don't really affect me that way, I built my PC at first for gaming and if I hadn't upgraded to el Cap so earlier I'd be using that as a daily driver.
For anyone wondering I don't have audio support yet, plus windows took direct control and locked me out of my osx boot. Even though the bootfiles for clover, dual boot window where you can select which os to use, are on my mac ssd. I've just been to lazy to fix it. I just have to reset my mac ssd as priority on windows again. Part of the reason why I want to go back to windows 7, I feel like its going to happen again.
>>
>>52401540
>>52401592
Both are you guys are retarded. I said his reasoning for it being real Mexican food is invalid, which it was.
>it's real Mexican food because I always see Mexicans eating it in California

How is this in any form a legit reason why it's real Mexican food?
I said nothing else besides that. You attacked the wrong guy.
>>
>>52401745
My response was mostly to him saying it was garbage americanized stuff, especially since it really is just oversized soft shell tacos from the northern provinces/the american SW that used to be mexico.
>>
It's not about what you use but how you use it. Just because you use iOS, Mac OSX, or some GNU/Linux distro doesn't mean you are "free" when you still use 4chan, Kik, Facebook, YouTube, etc. They track everything. Hell, even Kik has "police" accounts where law enforcement can just view any conversation they want. Thinking you are anymore free just because you don't use Windows is a huge joke. I'm laughing that you fell for the meme.
>>
>>52401784
That may be true, I'm from the complete other side of the country same region just east, but you replied to me and not that guy. I even said not same guy. I gave an example of what you said in hope people would see it the way I did. I know nothing about authentic Mexican food, so I have no dog in this fight. Nether the less, I hate it when people argue using opinions and not logic. If you would've said what you just said about the burritos, I would've never replied.
>>
>>52401884
Fair enough, I'll admit it was a bit of shitposting because it's often useless trying to use actual arguments about food. People are retarded and don't know shit. I just happen to be really fucking into Mexican food.
>>
>>52401956
:D you almost never see that on this site, I also enjoy Mexican food. I know what you mean about arguing here. I really hope people don't think/ believe the shit they say here. I can't even tell if someone's shit posting or being serious anymore.
>>
>>52402028
>I can't even tell if someone's shit posting or being serious anymore.

Welcome to 2005 on 4chan
>>
>>52400089
>program support
bad bait
>>
>>52402110
>potential next u.s. president basically running his campaign on building a wall
>promises to make America great again
>shits on anyone who disagrees with him
>almost no plan besides that
>no political experience
>millions of people actually believe he'll be a great president
Tell me why I should be able to tell if someone's serious or not on a website again.
>inb4 Hilary
>pop vote actually matters
Same idea of bs for her too, just not as out spoken about it
>>
>>52402250
I can't wait to see /pol/ backpedal and be behind cruz when cruz BTFOs trump.
>>
>>52400323
>GIMP
>>
i never went to apple in the first place. but if I was interested in spending shekels on a new pricey laptop I'd consider getting a Mac now.
>>
>>52402315
Ted Cruz
>during his 21hour filibuster publicity stunt for the affordable healthcare act
>reads green eggs and ham
>a story about not liking something before you try it
>wastes an enormous amount of time just because he didn't like something that congress passed
>wants to triple border patrol if elected

Mfw over 17 trillion in debt
Mfw the group who has the most people here illegally are Asians and NOT Mexicans
The visa program is broke as fuck, and that's the reason why.
>>
File: iBotnet.jpg (36 KB, 339x545) Image search: [Google]
iBotnet.jpg
36 KB, 339x545
>>52400089
>going to Apple
>paying a premium to be spied on

L
M
A
O
>>
>>52400089
Until the windows 10 fiasco I was seriously considering just moving over to primarily using windows.

Looks like I secured a good half-decade more with macs.
>>
>>52403600
>macprismOS
>secure
topkek
>>
>>52400417
the tinfoil is real
>>
>>52400323
>FOSS alternative
No thanks.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.