[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, beginner-intermediate programmer here wondering if I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Hey /g/, beginner-intermediate programmer here wondering if I should bother picking up C or C++ as a programming language.

Some things I already know:
- Java
- Ruby
- Python
- PHP
- Javascript/HTML/CSS
- Bash

Discuss C vs. C++ and your opinion on if I should pick one (or both) of them up.
>>
>>52399771
Knowing how to write for loop, doesn't mean you know the language. Focus on them a little more, instead of jumping on the new one
>>
>>52399798
I have basic to intermediate programs written in each of them using basic data structures.

I would be learning C/C++ for educational purposes rather than utility. Mainly to get a grasp on more complex data structures (binary tree, graphs, etc)
>>
>>52399771
Learn how to program, not the language themselves.
Just use Python or whatever and do projects in it.

When you have learned programming then picking up syntax is piss easy.
>>
>>52399771
Before moving on, ask yourself this: If someone were to hire you to do an industry tier program with any of those languages, would you do fine?

The answer is no then forget about doing more complex stuff and focus in the languages you already know. I tell you from experience. My first day hired as java android programmer I had to google a lot of shit online to do my work and when I saw my co workers looking to my screen I felt nothing but shame.
>>
>>52399890
they actually have a job
>>
C++
its basically C but with funny stuff
>>
>>52399885
Can you give more specifics as to what should you learn beyond 'just the language', and/or what kind of problems did you run into when you first started your job that you had to google and felt ashamed about
>>
>>52399885
I already am hired at a company working on a webapp written on a LAMP stack.
>>
>>52399940
You should learn all the advanced libraries that you will be expected to use in a work environment. The problem I had is that I thought that there was no use in memorizing all of androids functions and objects, when working on my own projects I just googled what I needed so instead I just focused on the dirty stuff. I made UIs from scratch, made my own data structures, etc.

Then, when I went to work I saw that no one would do this. These people actually knew what they were doing and they would never google a method or instructions on how to use something.

I felt inferior because no one was going to ask me to program a binary tree in C.

So, to sum it up, unless you are never going to work in something practical and will instead be employed at a university as a researcher making abstract data structures and needlessly complicated sorting algorithms, you should learn the libraries that you will need.
>>
>>52400010
This post is suprisingly down to earth and informative...especially for /g/.

I guess what I really want to know how to do is increase my worth as a programmer. Memorizing advanced libraries is something I'll spend more time on for sure. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>52400121
move to india you fucking cunt
>>
Anon, learning the intricacies of each and every language won't help, however it sounds like you even realize you haven't truly learned each language yet, focus on reaching a level of intermediate use in each before moving on. When you can solve the majority of any problems when doing normal tasks without Google or any outside help youve finally reached a level of competency where you could reasonably move on. I'd suggest proving yourself capable of this for each language before moving on.

For example learning the scales and chopsticks on piano doesn't mean you know enough to move on to guitar. Learn a few songs and you're notes to the point you don't need outside help or sources to finish a task/song before moving on
>>
>>52399771
>lists things he knows
>list empty
u start with c
>>
>>52399842
>implying u can learn programming in python
dont fall for the bait
>>
>>52400121
>memorizing advanced libraries
thats where most wana be programmers get stuck to, brainwashed way of thinking that you need to know every function
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.