[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: Dwight Schrute.jpg (123 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Dwight Schrute.jpg
123 KB, 1680x1050
The containment thread for dumb questions undeserving of their own thread.

Don't bump your question, it will get answered in time. If not, try again in the next thread.

Been a while since I've made one of these, but the old one is dying.

Previous thread: >>52389504
>>
>>52398571
How can we make it legal to shoot database developers that put a delineated list within a cell?
>>
>>52398571
Been in the last 3 threads, and have been searching online since then, still nothing.

Every time I mount a drive in linux with the mount command, it is mounted as read-only and is write-protected. I can't change permissions because that is a form of writing, and remounting it as read-write doesn't work. The drives are fine, fsck does nothing, and /etc/fstab is set up correctly.

I just don't know.
>>
>>52398588
no sane person would send you to jail for that
>>
>>52398608
Is there like a lock switch or something on the drive itself?
>>
Is there a way to blacklist packages in Zypper/PackageKit?

For example, to prevent the utterly useless shit package K3B from being reinstalled during an update, how do I blacklist it after purging it in a cleansing light of purification?
>>
>>52398608
>/etc/fstab is set up correctly.
prove it
>>
>>52398622
No, the drives function fine on different computers.
>>
>>52398588
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to do this though.
>>
>>52398588
What's a "delineated list" and why is it bad to put it in a "cell"?
>>
>>52398701
*delimited
*field

My rage blinded me.
>>
>>52398650
UUID= /media/external/ auto rw,user,auto 0 0

It mounts just fine on boot and throws no errors.
>>
Just built a new pc and it runs great, no problem.

When I shut it down it logs off windows 10, screen goes blank as expected but pc continues to run for an additional 45 seconds before it eventually powers off.
Have noticed that the keyboard and mouse (all usb devices) remain powered up too until just before the pc powers off.

Not a huge problem but curious to know whats causing the pc to hang before it eventually powers down
>>
>>52398725
Please tell me there's an actual UUID after that equals sign.
>>
>>52398788
Yes, of course
>>
>>52398608
What does SMART report?
>>
>>52398608
vfat or ntfs?
>>
What are the differences between an i5 and an i7 CPU?

Are there noticeable differences in the performance between an i5 6600k and a i7 6700k?
>>
>>52398935
Marginal. An i5 won't be a bottleneck for years so save the money.
>>
>>52398953

Aight thx. I also think thats the most cost efficient one.

What do you think about Nvidia G-Sync?
>>
After hearing Sudoku is a good way to exercise your algorithmic ability, what other puzzles or games are best for this sort of thing?
Chess and Rubik's Cube of course come to mind.
>>
>>52399021
Gsync is good but not really worth $200 and locking you into nvidia for the rest of your life
>>
>>52399031
picross
>>
>>52398859
No problems
>>52398898
I've tried vfat, ntfs, lvm, pretty much all sorts of file system types, everything is write-protected.
>>
>>52399037

Good as in it's an noticeably improved v-sync?
If so it should be worth $60.

Another question: Does the gtx 970m 6gb also have the memory issue? Or did they use better memory for the 6gb version?
>>
Web hosting: Is there a way to test pages on a website without making them public? I want to be able to test it on multiple devices and not just this computer. (using XAMPP right now but I want to test it on my phone, tablet, etc)
>>
>>52398654
>No, the drives function fine on different computers.
That means there's a problem specifically with the current computer, either hardware or software. Have you tried to connect it to another S-ATA port just to check whether that's an issue?
>>
>>52399222
I've pretty much everything on the hardware side.

Keep in mind that this affects usbs, CDs, external hard drives, and internal hard drives.

Pretty sure it's a software problem.

Update: hdparm does nothing.
/dev/sdf:
setting readonly to 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)

mount: cannot remount /dev/sdf1 read-write, is write-protected

Kill me desu
>>
Is there a better alternative to a Raspberry pi? Something that is as supported but better price/quality/performance ratio?
>>
Try to solve my problem /g/
I often watch movies that I download on my phone on my TV by screen mirroring, whole I lie back in my bed. Now the problem is, when I screen mirror, the audio gets routed to my TVs speakers. I want the audio to come through the phone's audio jack, is there perhaps an application to do it or something?

>>52399031
Making something simple like data to base64 and vice versa converter is a good exercise, you can practice your logical mind with it
>>
Is there any way to set up a default command line for ffmpeg on Windows? Such as a config file.
>>
>>52399414
What do you want to do with it? Computer like work, or microcontroller like work? Example setting up a server or making an LED blink?
>>
>Playing new vidya
>Need to turn audio up to max on computer to get it at a comfortable level
>This isn't the first game to do this to me

Anyone else have this problem? Is it my computer? I'm using headphones btw. ath m50s, but they're like 3 years old so maybe that's it?
>>
I want to make a script in python that would imitate matlab's clear all command.
I.e. when I call the clear_all() function in python, I want it to delete all currently assigned variables from the memory.
I need this because when I'm running some small scripts, variables defined in one script stay over when I run the next script, and bugs my creep in this way.
I tried the following piece of code I found online:

def clear_all():
gl = globals().copy()
for var in gl:
if var[0] == '_': continue
if 'func' in str(globals()[var]): continue
if 'module' in str(globals()[var]): continue

del globals()[var]

But doesn't seem to work, nothings happening.
What is globals().copy() supposed to do? Whenever I run it I get nothing, the error could be there.
Or I'm misinterprenting something here a lot, I'm new to python.
>>
>>52399139
Why not copy the file to your different devices to see how it looks?
>>
>>52399512
There are also volume controls in-game...
>>
>>52399264
Okay, I've gotten _somewhere_

Under /etc/mtab the drives are listed as ro.

Does this mean there is some miscommunication when /etc/mtab is created? The drives are clearly marked to be mounted as rw in /etc/fstab

/dev/sdf1 /media/external ntfs ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,fmask=0177,dmask=077,nls=utf8,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1 0 0

Anyone know what this means?
>>
>>52399642
They're defaulted to 100%
>>
>>52399651
[89631.859956] ntfs: (device sdf1): load_system_files(): Volume is dirty. Mounting read-only. Run chkdsk and mount in Windows.

What does THIS mean?
>>
>>52399459
Server, not a microcontroller.
>>
File: 1428361396666.jpg (35 KB, 583x627) Image search: [Google]
1428361396666.jpg
35 KB, 583x627
im currently out of USB drives, but id like to boot linux live on a second machine. would it be possible to copy the image on my phone and boot from it?
>>
File: go.png (136 KB, 600x381) Image search: [Google]
go.png
136 KB, 600x381
How do I do this
>>
>>52399744
It ended up being a problem with the superblock after all, I reformatted one hard drive but I'm working on fixing the other, fsck unfortunately is no help, which was probably the biggest mystery.
>>
>>52399744
The volume is dirty, run chkdsk on Windows to clean it.
>>
>>52399918
i have not tried this.
i have no intention for trying this since usb drives are cheaper than CDs now. but it exists:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.softwarebakery.drivedroid
>>
How do I search for good IRC channels?

I have specific wants, but don't know where to start or how to discover them?
>>
>>52400018
I don't use Windows though, haven't in years.
>>
>>52400081
awesome, thank you
>>
Why doesn't sshfs work in a script?
>>
>>52400100
Aaaaaaand I finally fixed the rest of the problems, the kernel supports mounting NTFS file systems, but you need specific packages to mount them read/write (namely ntfs-3g)

/g/ wasn't any help at all, sorry, but at least I fixed it.
>>
I'm trying to extract a subtitle stream from a .mkv file using ffmpeg.

This is the one I'm trying to extract

Stream #0:5(spa): Subtitle: subrip

Following some shitty tutorial, this is the command I'm using

ffmpeg -threads 4 i C:\path\whatever\file.mkv -vn -an -codec:s:0.5 srt subtitle.srt

But it only extracts the first subtitle stream.

What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>52400244
And before anyone points it out, that lone " i " is actually " -i ". I screwed up.
>>
I used to change my IP by going to 192.168.1.1 and putting the modem as "static", restarting, putting as "dhcp" and restarting again. Would come up with a new IP.

Now my ISP uses IPV4+IPV6. When I do that, I get a new IPV4, but not a new IPV6.

What can I change to get a new IPV6?
or disable IPV6 altogether?

Thanks.
>>
>>52400256
>>52400244

NEVER MIND FIGURED IT OUT THANX FOR READING
>>
>>52399858
Raspi can do it
OrangePi can too
Raspi Zero will too, if its nothing too heavy, you can daisy chain usb hubs and use a usb RJ-45 adapter.
Or if you're adventurous, buy a cheap 40$ phone that can be rooted, install a debian chroot on it, and use it as a server. I did that, and it works pretty much fine
>>
>>52400224
>(namely ntfs-3g)
You... You didn't have the one thing everyone knows you should have in order to properly mount a ntfs volume on Linux, and you never said that the drive was in ntfs format... And you call /g/ useless?
>>
Using ghacks user.js for Firefox, what do I need to change in it so clicking an image e.g. on Twitter puts it into view? Think it's related to CSS.
>>
>>52400448
>E-everyone k-knows this already.

I posted in the stupid questions thread didn't I?
Also it was more than just that, things were just fucked in general, I don't know why (inb4 I did it, this is a new install)

Besides, the only question I ever needed answered was what would cause a drive to mount as write-protected and this ended up being it. It's funny how all of the "knowledgeable" people show up after the problem is already solved.
>>
What methods can I use to isolate my browser from the rest of my system?

Currently running it under a different user, which prevents direct access to my main user's files, but it still has unbridled access to the xorg session.

Should I run a seperate xsession? Or is there some way I can embed xsessions within each other?

I could create a VM and use ssh+X11 forwarding, but would that really increase security at all? What about a VM+remote desktop?

I want to click on all the shady links and not worry.about remote code execution or anything.
>>
>>52400532
I was the one who asked: >>52398898

You just failed to answer. You were useless.
>>
>>52400552
Holy shit these people exist.
>>
>>52400484
OP. It has something to do with Javascript. AdaptiveMedia-photoContainer js-adaptive-photo data-element-context="platform_photo_card" What option in about:config enables this js?
>>
>>52400611
Increasing security through segregation with no loss in convenience is a no brainer, hence the running under seperate user. This is really defacto for all services in linux.

Xsessions/remote desktops would be inconvient, so I was looking for some other ideas.

So yeah, get fucked you insecure plebian. Enjoy your internet aids.
>>
>>52400664
>Implying you get get 100% security
Get the fuck out you uneducated neckbeard
>>
File: img.png (23 KB, 400x282) Image search: [Google]
img.png
23 KB, 400x282
What's the best free software to verify the integrity of an usb stick and the real storage capacity?

I found this decade old 8GB kingston in a drawer and it seems to be still alive, it's slow as hell though and when I try to write big files in it they sometimes disappear, I think it might be a chinese bloated fake, the capacity is probably much lower than 8GB.
>>
>>52400682
You are really reaching for that implying. Nice.
>>
>>52400709
*implication
>>
windows explorer just crashed during a large file transfer, how do i make sure none of the data is corrupted? i don't want to start over again, i was at 75% of 1.2 TB
>>
I got another monitor, same model, and they're for some reason different height. They aren't VESA so how do I make them the same height without it looking fucking stupid?
>>
>>52400749
depends on the kind of file and how you were transfering it.
>>
I'm trying to look for a device, but I'm having trouble finding the words

I need a device that I can use to swtich from one set of audio-video cords (red, yellow, white) to another so I don't have to unplug and plug them everytime I switch over to a different device

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
>>
>>52400810
many smaller files.i just did copy&paste
>>
File: common-video-ports.png (19 KB, 500x304) Image search: [Google]
common-video-ports.png
19 KB, 500x304
>>52400917
talking about these ports? there're adapters you can use, if you know the name of the port just search in google images "portname adapter" and see if there's anything that looks like what you need.
>>
>>52400971
then try to copy and paste again, when it asks whether you want to overwrite or not, select to overwrite only if the existing file is smaller than the original.
>>
>>52401028
will do, thank you. i thought there might have been a less obvious way or some software to compare the files automatically. the windows filetransfer dialog makes you do it manually
>>
>>52400990
Why are there so many different DVI inputs? What are the differences?

Randomly curious anon here.
>>
mpv:Failed to recognize file format.

y tho?

It only happens to some files but not others, same file format.
>>
File: alien shit.png (11 KB, 555x439) Image search: [Google]
alien shit.png
11 KB, 555x439
hello /g/ents,was just wondering,by any chance some of you guys know what this is?
some guy was walking nearby the pillars on my street with this kind of device.
A. he was holding it on his shoulder,it had like 1 meter and a bit.Looked like an antena.the colour was white(not that it matters) and it appeard like having a shell to cover the tip.
B. it looked like a reading device with numbers/letters from A-Z 1-0
anyone from here got any ideea what was he doing?
>inb4 v& to be
>>
>>52401077
>same file format
Corruption?
>>
>>52401088
Motorola walkie-talkie?
>>
>>52401096
pls no
>>
>>52401057
I'm sure there is some program but personally I don't know any, good luck anyway.

>>52401063
To be honest I've no idea why, though I found this with google:
http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-dvi-i-and-dvi-d/

>Summary:
>1. DVI-D is a DVI connector that is meant for digital signals only while DVI-I is a connector that allows both digital and analog signals
>2. DVI-I connectors have all the necessary pins for a single link DVI cable while DVI-D connectors lack the four pins that is supposed to carry the analog signal
>3. The long and flat pin on the DVI-D connector is slightly smaller than that on the DVI-I connector
>4. A DVI-D connector can fit on a DVI-I port but not the other way around.

DVI is deprecated anyway.
>>
File: niggamoney.jpg (27 KB, 240x151) Image search: [Google]
niggamoney.jpg
27 KB, 240x151
>>52401133
made me kek
here are some internets
but for real,im not joking,anyone got any ideea?
could it be a sniffer for something?
>>
>>52401169
>DVI is deprecated anyway.
Thank science. What a mess.
>>
why the fuck cant i open ublock and umatrix ui in firefox but i can open ALL other addons without a problem?
>>
>>52401214
ikr yet many GPUs still come with this shitty port, wasted spice imo that could be used for an extra DisplayPort.
>>
>>52401096
>>52401157
>There has been a suspicious clicking noise coming from my computer
>SMART reports nothing
>Assumed it was a fan or something.
>Some files seem to be corrupted
>Drive is kill
>No

Remember kids, Jesus saves, and makes incremental backups.
>>
>>52400990
I found it
thanks
>>
>>52400990
>>52401283
Oh, I forgot to mention it's an RCA box
>>
>>52399651
hold up.. ntfs, under linux. you sure have proper fuse ntfs3g and other shit? can you mount other ntfs drives wo problems?
>>
>>52399918
yes. drivedroid works, need root though
>>
Is there any scientific term for the remainder of fractional part of a number?

In other words: if Frac() returns fractional part, how do I name a method that returns 1-Frac()?
>>
is there an addon for firefox or any browser where i can record a portion of the screen, such as a youtube video? or is fraps the best option?
>>
>>52401409
modulo
>>
>>52401452
You could use ShareX.

It can be configured to output webm, or whatever. Custom hotkeys available, plus you can click and drag a box to record a region.
>>
>>52401493
Modulo is two-argument function.
>>
>>52401514
just installed it. looks amazing, thanks man
>>
File: 20160102_084246.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160102_084246.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
How can you jailbreak a brand new iPad mini?
>>
Is there an offline installer for Bitdefender Free 2016? If so, where can one get it?
>>
File: gif.jpg (2 MB, 2927x2202) Image search: [Google]
gif.jpg
2 MB, 2927x2202
Shows this and then reboots when trying to boot remix os, legacy boot is on, and 64-bit processor. No idea what's wrong. Any ideas?
>>
>>52401731
What version is it running?
>>
I'm in the process of putting together a mITX build with the BitFenix Prodigy as the case. I've been using Logical Increments to piece things together, since this will be my first build from the ground up without help. What is a quality air CPU cooler that would fit in the case? I've been looking at some of the Noctua coolers, which generally have good reviews, but they look enormous. Since the case will be small and temps will probably be high, I don't mind investing in a good cooler, around $75.
>>
File: Screenshot_20151220-160037[1].png (178 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151220-160037[1].png
178 KB, 1080x1920
How do I add ram to my phone?
>>
Has anyone here updated the firmware for an onboard renesas usb3 controller?

I've found updates for pcie solutions with the exact same controller but just trying to find out. Most motherboard manufacturers dont seem to keep these updated for some reason.
>>
>>52401862
buy a new one
>>
if 6 * O = O, how much is 7 * P?
>>
>>52401862
Try to figure out how to create a swap file on an external memory card. Do not create this on your internal flash memory.
But yeah, >>52401899 is probably the best thing to do.
>>
I've noticed that, after updating Google Maps in my smartphone, I have Google Street View now. What is Google up to?
>>
>>52401906
R
>>
>>52401914
Giving you additional features and functionality?
>>
>>52401975
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.
>>
>>52399721
If you go to your playback devices and right click the device receiving sound, you can click properties > Enhancements > turn on Loudness Equalization.

I have this problem with my VG248QE monitors since they're really quiet without it
>>
>>52401987
W-what?
>>
>>52402007
It's what a Trojan said while deciding if they let that big horse in their city.
>>
>>52402032
Except in this case, instead of angry soldiers, the physical embodiment of convenience and features pop out.
>>
Got a winblows server 2012 that won't shutdown without a hard reset. When I disable as many services as I can it manages to shutdown but how do k narrow it down? I haven't got time to reset it a gazillion times and the event viewer isn't saying shit.
>>
>>52402057
Anon, they never asked me if I wanted to install that new app. What if I didn't want it? Don't be this noob.
>>
>>52402158
It's built into the Maps app already.

I believe it's basically a shortcut to a different portion of what you already had.
>>
>>52402134
Deactivate half the services. Did it work? Test the other half.
Then deactivate half of the half, test again.
This will quickly locate the culprit.
>>
File: Elsanna_kiss.gif (944 KB, 210x280) Image search: [Google]
Elsanna_kiss.gif
944 KB, 210x280
Nearly the same thing has been happening to me ever morning for the past few days. I will be using my desktop perfectly fine at night but when I turn it on in the morning it acts really weird. One time it kept telling me restoring to previous version of windows, for a few days it tells me bios are missing, and today it's telling me to choose a keyboard type and puts me in an endless loop of options to choose from. The way I solved this problem before was by restarting several times however not even that will work.
>>
>>52402426
Use System Restore to select a point where things were working fine.
>>
How to not log a cronjob?
>>
File: Fs9b8.jpg (146 KB, 1280x824) Image search: [Google]
Fs9b8.jpg
146 KB, 1280x824
>>52402438
>>52402438
It keeps telling me I have no restore point when I directly remember making one after installing all of the essential software.

I guess I'll just mindlessly restart it until it all of a sudden decides to work like it did every other day.
>>
>>52402511
Append to your command this:
> /dev/null 2>&1
>>
>>52402289
I'm thinking of doing that, just a bit worried about all the resets.
>>
>>52402740
To test 256 services you need only 8 resets.
>>
How do I get my twitter feed to be a fucking reverse-chronological stack of things tweeted by my followed handles without a bunch of dumb-ass reordering and "HEY WE REALLY THINK YOU WANNA SEE THIS AD" bullshit?
>>
>>52402788
Make your own twitter feed GUI by utilizing (read: abusing) Twitter's APIs.
>>
>>52402787
How? Even if I do it in chunks of 8 that's 32 services in each chunk.
>>
What are the essential, must have chrome extensions for security? Right now I only have ublock origin which I'm pretty sure is keeping my ass relatively safe when browsing popup and ad-ridden porn sites

I also disabled Chrome's Flash a while ago
>>
>>52402669
I'm still seeing shit logged.
>>
Assume 256 services.
Test 128. It will be in that half, or not. If it is, test half of those, if not, test half of the other. Rinse and repeat, always testing half.
>>
>>52402869
Firefox
>>
>>52402891
I'm sighing just reading that. I know Im just gona have to do it. Wouldn't be that bad my server didn't take like 3 minutes to start up from cold.
>>
I've done
sc config npf start= auto

on a Windows 10 Pro client, but that has disabled all wifi functionality in the environment, the NIC's still there however.

How can I fix and undo this?
>>
>>52403108
So hardware is up and running in device manager but not connectivity? Can you scan channels or not even that?

Have you checked network and wireless dependent services?
>>
My xperia Z3 suddenly stopped receiving mobile connections. The sim card is being recognized (takes a long time to load) but I'm not getting a connection. I've tried multiple factory resets and tried with updating but that didn't do anything. I've replaced the antenna cable but that also didn't fix anything.
What else could I try? I don't have any warranty so I don't really want to bring it in and pay a fuck ton.
>>
>>52403189
>Scan channels
This is working. My own network is visible too.
>Services
Looks fine. no errors.

To clarify on what happened beforehand:
>Installed GNS3
>Couldn't connect VMware VM's to a router inside of it
>To solve it you have to use that command according to an answer in the problem's bug report.
>>
Something is trying to communicate with a Google's IP through port 137 from my IP but Peerblock just blocked it. How do I find the source that tried to send the packet? (on windows) it stopped after 3 tries.
>>
When I toggle between showing hidden items on Windows 10, is there any way to prevent desktop icons from being moved from their original positions when they get hidden?
>>
How to paste speecy pics over guts pics . maybe a see through speecy ? Any hint ? Using Winbotnet.
>>
>>52403281
If you can see wireless networks and you try to connect but it fails then there should be an entry in event viewer with an error code at least.

What do you mean no errors? There are ~10 services that need to run in order to have working network in most cases. Have you checked they're running?
>>
>>52403338
Tcpview
>>
>>52403368
easy way:
>photoshop

retard way:
>open guts pic in mspaint
>open speccy pic in firefox
>right click, copy image in firefox
>back to paint, ctrl+v
>>
File: Untitled picture.png (17 KB, 371x246) Image search: [Google]
Untitled picture.png
17 KB, 371x246
>>52403381
That is part of the issue.
Windows itself cannot see any wifi networks, another application (InSSIDer) however can use the adapter to view networks.

I'm weeding through the event logs right now and can see NetworkUXBroker returned quite a few errors.
>>
I recently installed lgi for lua and now it fails if I want to import it with:

~/.luarocks/lib/lua/5.2/lgi/corelgilua51.so:1: unexpected symbol near char(127)

I have really no idea why this would happen.
>>
>>52403408
thank you.
if i happen to have Lightroom , wich tools would you use for this?
>>
How do I implement an undo/redo method in java? I don't quite understand the command pattern, so I'm having difficulty implementing these methods.
>>
>>52403475
What about wlanautoconfig? Can't remember the exact names but network related events can be quite spread out depending on what fails.

The fact you can see networks using a different too almost definitely points to some service related issues and windows being windows.

SFC /scannow might be an option too if there is some corruption.

Also are those wlan drivers windows 10 compatible?
>>
>>52403608
I would imagine finding out a way to store the user inputs would be the first step in completing your homework.
>>
>>52403618
The PC shipped with windows 10 out of the box so yes the drivers are compatible.
SFC might be an option.
Wlanautoconfig I'll have to check.
>>
I received my pc way before my monitor arrives and already installed Xubuntu on it. Everything is great however I'm having 2 problems:
- I'm having overscan, I cannot see the edges of the screen. This is nothing weird for this television but Nvidia/AMD drivers could prevent this.
- How the fuck do I download the properietary Intel HD driver for Xubuntu?
>>
>>52403651
Sorry for throwing lots of random shit at you, I'm shitposting from my phone and can't think of all the stuff I would systematically check. All I know is windows and networking issues are rarely fun to troubleshoot.
>>
>>52403702
That's fine. but indeed this is a bit annoying. You can't find out where the problem lies and you spend looking through so many trees that you cannot find the forest anymore.

I was considering for a reinstall anyway as I planned on getting an SSD, but until then I'll have to fix this, potentially via system restore if necessary.
>>
whats going on with cockmail?
>>
Be honest with me, /g/, how worth is it to use a self-owned cloud service like OwnCloud? Is OwnCloud the best option, even?
>>
So are Netgear USB wireless devices supposed to be broken pieces of shit that disconnect every 5 seconds or am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>52403897
>Using a service to open up ports on your home connection
>Using a home connection to host files
>>
>>52403645
So I'll need to keep a record of every action taken by the user into a stack, then pop the most recent action when the undo button is clicked/push the most recent action onto the stack when the user clicks redo?

Ok, this should only take a few hours. Thanks!
>>
What's the best bittorrent client? I'm tired of using µtorrent.....
>>
>>52403978
Can you be more specific on why it's so bad?
And isn't it still more safe than hosting them on an external service, such as Dropbox?
>>
>>52404129
I have bad news for you, that's already the best one.
>>
>>52404143
It can't be. No. I don't believe it.
>>
New one here >>52404151
>>
>>52404163
Fuck off, retard. Bump limit isn't even close.
>>
>>52404154
Other ones are even worse, with a little work you can make it quite acceptable.
>>
File: Windows 7 startup.png (32 KB, 630x416) Image search: [Google]
Windows 7 startup.png
32 KB, 630x416
Can I disable anymore of these startup programs? trying to clean up my X220.

thanks family
>>
>>52404129
qbittorrent or deluge or transmission

>>52404136
It depends on several factors
>technical ability
>free time for setting it up
>spare hardware you might have
>home ISP upload speed
>ISP ToS that may forbid such things

Using a service eliminates several of these factors, but if you have a shit connection and don't like to keep your PC on all the time, it may not be worth it.
>>
>>52404217
A Xeon E5620 vs FX 8320E.

I can get the Xeon for 1/8 the price of the FX. Pls answer quickly /g/ents. Is the Xeon worth it, considering it can't be overclocked? Otherwise they have a similar performance according to a few benchmarks.
>>
what's the best way to copy data from a dying hard drive without stressing the hdd too much? my laptops cooler is loud as fuck and right now the clicking of the hdd is even louder.
i'm scared
>>
>>52403339
Someone please
>>
Hey guys is there a command or program on Windows that will check every file to see if any of it is corrupted?

I just learned about bit rot.
>>
Is there a place where I can uploaded a CSS file and have it be usable?
I'm doing BASIC HTML coding, and with pictures I just have the link and was thinking about doing something like that with the CSS file so I don't need to store it on my computer.
>>
>>52404322
Don't think so. It was like this on W7 as well...
>>
>>52404544
Lame. Oh well.
>>
This is probably really stupid... I recently received my monitor for my new PC and it came with a DVI cable so I plugged it in and turned on the computer but I have no signal (it should show BIOS because I don't have an OS yet) I plan on using hdmi but I don't understand why I don't have a picture
>>
Got around to backing up all my data on to a HDD. Using FileHistory and have Win8.1 make system images on a schedule.

I got this HDD from a 6 year old PC, though it was only used for 2 (long story), so I think it has some life in it. Would it be fine to leave it plugged into my PC, or should I keep it unplugged except to backup periodically?
>>
Trying to set up my phone as a webcam.
Has anyone ever tried it? Did it work properly?
>>
>>52404721
What method are you using?
>>
>>52404644

I'm curious about this too.

I have a second HDD that i have plugged into my laptop that I used like three times or something and then never used it, it's been plugged in for 2 years now
>>
>>52404845
Using an IP Webcam App.
>>
What's a good price for a IBM Model M?
In Euros (€).

Found this one for 60€
>>
>>52402890
that would bt cron's own logging feature, you would have to dig in to the source code or try something different for your trojan
>>
>>52403198
switch sim to a different phone and see it that works
>>
>>52398733
That's meant to happen. Don't worry.
>>
>>52403559
whaaaat?
>>
Would a AMD CPU still be a decent choice for a poorfag PC setup ? Or would you guys rather go with Intel ?
>>
Duel Monitors

Display port 2.1 vs two separate display port cables.

Anyone have any experience with this?
>>
>>52405179
AMD if the budget is really tight, but always Intel is you can.
>>
>>52399031
"Rubiks cube" don't get a rubiks branded one. They're expensive, can't be adjusted and fucking suck. Go to cubezz and 'JY quanlong' for $2.75 with free shipping to anywhere in the world. Seriously.
>>
>>52405276
So it would be better to get an older Intel CPU instead of AMD. 2nd or 3rd gen.
>>
Why do modern PSUs have floppy connectors

I understand having molex connectors, but floppy connectors? What can I use this for?
>>
>>52405415
completely agree, speed cubes are much cheaper and won't break your wrist when you try to turn it
>>
>>52405428
Mmm, not quite. It all depends on the quality from that generation. Basically, there is a lot of variables.

Each year CPU's increase in efficiency, so, getting an older CPU vs a newer generation isn't the best idea. However, like I said, some older generation CPU's hold their strength through a couple of generations.
>>
Is there a way to distribute usb 3 bandwidth more evenly?
I have one 2bay enclosure with 2 disks and a single disk connected to 2 usb 3 ports. The single disk almost gets full speed as does one of the disks in the 2bay enclosure but the second disk is completely choked at less than 15mb/s.
>>
File: 1452457869427.jpg (241 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452457869427.jpg
241 KB, 1920x1080
For some reason my shitty toshiba laptop has decided to alter it's resolution and aspect ratio. It's meant to be 1366 x 768, but for some reason it's set itself to 1280 x 800. It's a problem with the hardware, as it's in both my linux and windows partition as well as the BIOS. The BIOS doesn't even have any options for the display.

I tried reflashing the BIOS, clearing the CMOS and setting it to default settings, none worked. I also tried to force it into 1366 x 768 using xrandr but it kept giving me an error.

Anybody heard of something like this before? I can't find anything online.
>>
File: mylady.gif (116 KB, 509x480) Image search: [Google]
mylady.gif
116 KB, 509x480
>>52405499
I'll keep that in mind when I build a PC. Thanks anon.
>>
What would cause the scroll lock to not function and the led not function,on or off, only within linux
xev shows it registering as Scroll_Lock.
Works on windows 10 and xp.
>>
How do ram cannels work?
I've got a dual channel i5 4690k which is dual channel, does this mean i can only have a max of 2 sticks connected to it at a time?
>>
I've got an AMD R9 280X WindForce, the coolers get far too loud for my tastes, can anyone recommend a good aftermarket GPU cooler?
>>
>>52406373
Throttle the fans or have better ventilation around it
>>
What would you say is the worst thing you can do with a computer, like the Horcrux of technology?
>>
>>52398571
What is the "best" java resource/ tutorial?
>>
>>52406477
hack the gibson
thermite
>>
>>52406477
Install lots of shit you use at most once, especially browser task bars
>>
File: Cap.jpg (101 KB, 644x427) Image search: [Google]
Cap.jpg
101 KB, 644x427
>>52398571

I'm stupid, am I getting hacked?
>>
-=- QUESTION -=-
Monitor died, googled it and it appears that it is a bad capacitor. I know jack fucking shit about sodering and electronics but;
>Watched youtube video that showed how "easy" it was
>I can turn a screw driver in both directions
>I am willing to learn
>I can't break a broken monitor
>same thing happened about 6 months ago and I might be able to repair both monitors
>If I learn how, I might be able to pick up monitors at garage sales or craig's list, fix them, and flip them as refurbished for extra cash

What do you guys think? Should I try to repair it myself or say fuck it, and find a replacement?
>>
So I found my first desktop in the attic had it since 2002, it's an hp something and thought I'd see if I could turn it on.

Well, I plugged in the power cord and sparks came out from the inside. A shame as I wanted to turn it on to recover old photos and files at this point. Is it as simple as removing the hard drive and inserting it in my current tower?
>>
>>52406711
>>I can't break a broken monitor
Why make the effort then? Just go get a new monitor and be done with it
>>
>>52406711
That depends are you willing to spend around $60 to learn how to repair of gather up another $50 to just buy a new monitor?
>>
File: Cap1.jpg (24 KB, 443x127) Image search: [Google]
Cap1.jpg
24 KB, 443x127
>>52406616
same question second detail
>>
>>52406769
yes
>>
>>52406616
turn off your dns service or at least the remote requests

make sure you set your own dns server options in your computer or in dhcp first

what firewall/ router?
>>
>>52406810
This won't delete anything in it by doing that will it?

Thanks
>>
What does /g/ uses to record their game plays ?
>>
File: 689614b001be0a1f.jpg (50 KB, 427x508) Image search: [Google]
689614b001be0a1f.jpg
50 KB, 427x508
>tfw feel when testing all HDDs blocks takes about 5 days to finish
>tfw when no other choice

I'M FUCKING BORED TO DEATH FUCK
>>
>>52406616
wait wtf never-mind

no it's just windows looking for shares
>>
>>52406837
No.
You're just changing the host the drive is on. Just plug it up when the rig is powered off and go in and restore, if it isnt fried
>>
>>52406770
I have spare monitors.. so not a big deal. But I am annoyed as fuck that it went out.

>>52406788
A quick trip to Fry's and I can prolly pick up the few things I need for $35.
>>
How can I build a dust-free desktop computer?

I need great ventilation for high-end components but I also want to make it as physically impossible as is feasible for any solid or liquid to get into the computer.
>>
>>52406863
why test them?

> check smart
> no reallocated sector, read failures
the drive is ok.

you can also just run a short smart test.
>>
>>52398733
Happens to me too. No problem there m8.
>>
>>52406847
I use Xsplit, comfiest, best.
Just use a cracked version.

Some people swear by OBS.

>>52406907
Cut out wall.
Put computer in wall.
Add glass or something similar so you can check on it.
Do a ventillation tunnel for computer, with an exit near roof.
Add dust filter to it.

There, you have a computer safe.
>>
>>52406901
Not knowing what you're doing and then planning on selling them as your first project, sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen when it shorts out.Unless you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars to even learn how to do it, its not worth it. The resell value wont cover costs
>>
if my operating sytem windows drive is an ssd and i delete something from my storage mechanical drive, will that file get transferred over to the ssd and cause unnecessary read/write or will the deleted file stay on the mechanical hard drive?

t.hanks
>>
>>52406972
>I am purchasing a repaired electronic devise, in as-is condition. I accept all liability for any damages, injury, death or dismemberment that may result from this purchase.

Sign here.
x_________

Also, craig's list? Sell that shit with no contact info and move on.
>>
>>52401731
Google it
>>
With the help of a few buddies i finally built my first PC.

Now i want to know some useful apps for chrome, and programs in general that will make my experience with the interface of the whole thing as smooth and good looking as possible.

The kind of apps and such i already have are adblock, fl.ux, gyazo, google dictionary, and i still need to gt rainmeter. Does anyone have any ideas, or stuff they use themselves that is kewl as fuck?

Im on Windows 7 64bit
>>
File: Cool Sweaters Guy.jpg (376 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Cool Sweaters Guy.jpg
376 KB, 640x640
>>52406911
smart has gone to shit on these drives years ago, the drives seem to be ok though. at least that's what the tests say until now. to be sure, I test them block for block though, I've had them now for half a decade, it's only reasonable to test them at least once.
>>
>>52406948
How can I achieve this just by modifying the case?
>>
>>52407043
Im pretty damn sure if you burn down someones house your isp and the site will release your info upon inquiry
>>
>>52407071
You cant
No matter how highend your components are (LOL probly not even high end) you will have to clean your case.Dont be a lazy fuck.
Or build a mineral oil build
>>
>>52407061
does it even worth it?
like testing them?

what is their size combined?
1TB?

>>52407071
Just check around for cheapo cases.
Look for something that is 'blocky'.

Dust: Add dust filters to vents or, use water cooling with external radiator.
Water: Any normal ATX case is protected from objects... I think.
Water: Well, depends on what kind. You could just move the PSU to the center-ish of your case, so water can't go in it if someone splashes some on the sides...

It's not an easy project to do a 100% protected pc.
>>
<script>
function myFunction() {
var x, text;

// Get the value of the input field with id="numb"
x = document.getElementById("numb").value;

// If x is Not a Number or less than one or greater than 10
if (isNaN(x) || x < 1 || x > 10) {
text = "Input not valid";
} else {
text = "Input OK";
}
document.getElementById("demo").innerHTML = text;
}
</script>

Is it possible to change this and have it work with words?
Like,
If I input "mike" it will give me a number and,
if I input "kyle" it will give me a different number.
>>
>>52407060
WHAT do you want?

Tell us what kind of apps you looking for at least. Like you want to design 3D shit, you want to cut videos, whatever. But "just cool", well, what the fuck?
>>
>>52404935
anyone?
>>
I recently built a new computer. Decided to get a 120gb ssd to install Windows 7 on and 1tb WD mechanical hard drive to store data.

I wanted to move stuff from my old computers 1tb drive to the new computer. I tried Windows Easy transfer, but the old drive is the c; drive and it wants to put all the data on to the SSD, since its the one with Windows installed. So I cant use that.

I dont think cloning the drive is gonna work either since the parts are new.

Anyone have an alternative to Windows Easy Transfer or cloning, to get most of the stuff from an old drive on to a new computer? Preferably free?

As a follow up, should I just install windows on to my mechanical drive as well? I was hoping not to since the SSD would take care of it but now I dont know.
>>
Lads, Can you use your phone/tablet with Android Studio to test your apps if they run Cyanogenmod?
>>
>>52406887
Well just my luck this one of those huge hardrives from the early 00s

Too bad I can't even look up how to remove it, as Google can't even bring up this model through searches
>>
>>52407123
sadly yes, it's worth it.

http://de.tinypic.com/player.php?v=1zx0gef&s=9
>>
File: 9ckxcr.jpg (45 KB, 550x649) Image search: [Google]
9ckxcr.jpg
45 KB, 550x649
Hi, I am just wondering why can I set 4k resolution in windows on my full hd screen ? It will somehow simulate that resolution, but it is looking very bad.
>>
>>52407187
You should not ever clone to an ssd. You're going to fuck up the partition aligning on it.
Install windows on the new ssd and then pop the drive in your new rig and just copy past your use profile
>>
>>52407198
nigger

>>52407225
because it's fun
>>
>>52407148
how do you mean change?

<script>
function myFunction() {
var x, text;

// Get the value of the input field with id="numb"
x = document.getElementById("numb").value;

// If x is Not a Number or less than one or greater than 10
if (typeof x === 'string' || x instanceof String) {
// text = md5/sha/whatever
}

document.getElementById("demo").innerHTML = text;
}
</script>

depends on what 'numbers' you want on your text.
add up the ascii values of chars in string? or what?
>>
>>52407201
>remove
Remove the screws and pull it out?
>>
>>52407247
Woah there, Friend. What have I done to offend you?
>>
>>52407175
0$.

>>52407187
Use Acronis. It's free ...from torrent.
Just grab the live disc, you only need that.
Copy to pendrive or burn to disc, boot it, enjoy.

>>52407198
what? of course.

>>52407221
wrong link?

>>52407225
display reports wrong values to vga/windows?
>>
>>52407276
nothing, it's the answer to you're question
>>
>>52407284
You dont fucking clone to an ssd. Look up ANY fucking partition alignment, the old platter dosent need the same alignment that ssd's do.Modern formaters will detect it as an ssd and set it up properly
>>
>>52407245
I guess I should have specified

My old hard drive is also a mechanical one.
I want to put data from my old mechanical 1tb hard drive to my new mechanical 1 tb hard drive, while letting the SSD JUST handle the OS on the new computer.

I found out that cloning the hard drive is not a good idea either way since the new computer has different parts and the old hard drive will have old drivers.

I was hoping for a program suite similar to windows easy transfer to organize stuff rather than do all the data manually and then re-install everything.
>>
>>52407252
Phone numbers.
I write "Mike" and it shows me his number.
That what the idea, but I have no idea how to code it so I just found this on w3schools...
>>
>>52407225
>>52407284
Im sure it isnt, if I apply that 4k, everything will be smaller like on 4k screen. but its very low quality and who knows what refresh rate.
>>
>>52407284
absolutely not
>>
>>52407284
>Use Acronis. It's free ...from torrent.

Yeah I came across that name but realized it was a paid program.

>Just grab the live disc, you only need that.

Live disc of what?
>>
what kind of coding-related job should I look for if I have no experience and did not graduate yet?
>>
>>52407273
I have to use force don't I? I've removed everything that held it in place, guess I have to pull it out without any fear
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.