[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>1300 >i5 >8gb Do mac fags not understand they are getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 260x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 260x533
>1300
>i5
>8gb
Do mac fags not understand they are getting garbage spray painted gold?
>>
>>52393042
Joey we've been over this before, no they don't but they'd still like it even if they knew.
>>
>>52393042
i'll bite

there's more to a computer than just a CPU and GPU, and funnily enough, they cost money. For example, the trackpads are god-tier compared with 95% of the garbage trackpads that exist.
A 2560x1600 high dpi IPS screen is not cheap either.

It slowly adds up when you remember all the other bits.
>>
>>52393258

Apple's margins are the highest in the industry. That's why they're so successful as a business. They have an incredibly small market share, but every machine they sell is more money in their pocket than ASUS gets from selling 10 of theirs. Margin over volume is their modus operandi. It's not exactly a secret.

>A 2560x1600 high dpi IPS screen is not cheap either.

It's way cheaper than you'd think. Wholesale pricing on the displays is probably less than $50. Displays get cheaper year after year. $200 Chromebooks are now shipping with 1920x1080 IPS displays.
>>
>>52393042
>apple thinking that dual core is acceptable in 2016
Nice. Fucking. Meme.
>>
The easiest way to detect someone autism is their lack of understanding why people buy overpriced low quality things. They do this shit because most normies are fragile self-esteem'd empty shell people who have like two things they derive pleasure from in life: approval of others and copious amounts of external stimulation (loud music, sex, food, conversation with unfunny maymay jokes, you know it). They would sell a kidney and both of their children abandoned by the male parent if it made them feel important / superior and distracted them somehow from the vacuousness in their souls. This is all
>>
>>52393258

As a long time Macbook user I think it's sad to see Apple turn the "Pro" line into just another consumer-oriented product line. If CPU and GPU aren't the most important factors in the machine for you, you should buy a Macbook or Macbook Air. Why does the Pro need to have garbage specs if it's specifically created for Professionals, to whom CPU and GPU ARE the most important aspect of the machine?

You can't even get a real GPU on a 13'' Pro anymore, and the 15'' only has a dedicated GPU starting at $2,500.
>>
>>52393258
the screen is about all that's worth a high price

There may be more than a CPU and GPU, but at the end of the day good luck with your fancy trackpad when your windows stutter because you have more than 10 tabs open on bloat OSX
>>
So this site is a place where autists communicate? All this people don't understand that pcs are made not only for tests but for work? And if I want to program I don't fucking need gpu that take all my battery life.
>>
Post a better laptop than the one in OP then. I think you will find that you can't
>>
>>52393729
Literally have ~20 tabs open in safari, ~25 in firefox and 7 in vivaldi, all in a 2012 MacBook air and I have yet to see any stutter in the system
>>
>>52393729
2009 mbp here, never had that problem.
>>
>>52393729
>>52393932
>>52393946

The only Macbooks that have real stuttering issues are the ones that pair retina with integrated graphics. Yosemite introduced a large amount of transparency and other high performance graphics effects which really cripple them.
>>
Macs are expensive but great for casual users like myself who do not use a computer for much more than word processing, the internet, and video playback/streaming.

--next to no concern about viruses
--when I turn the thing on/wake it up, it works almost immediately
--ridiculously good customer service

A great product for those who need a computer to do basic things with idiot-proof consistency.
>>
>>52394025
one use case is complete retards like yourself. But macs are better for just about everyone besides gamers
>>
>>52394106
>besides gamers

More generally anything that requires a GPU (CAD, video production, game development, GPGPU, etc.).
>>
>>52394139
Any professional doing those sort of tasks will be using a desktop.
>>
>>52394139
video producers get by fine with iMacs
>>
>>52394025

>--ridiculously good customer service

That's bullshit
>>
>>52394167
see
>>52393421

You used to be able to do them just fine with a Macbook Pro, since they were made with Pro users in mind. Apple stopped including discrete GPUs in the Pro line a few years ago to increase their margins.
>>
>>52394213
PRO =/= professions specific to needing discreet gpus. there are very few professionals that want that in a 13" portable device, and todays integrated is yesterdays discreet.
>>
>>52394106
>Try to use high quality resizers for muh tv shows in mpv
>The whole thing is unwatchable
Yeah nah, GPUs arent just for gayman, tard.
>>
>>52394235
stop pirating shit and watching in on a screen smaller than 50". and stop using FOSS crap like mpv.
>>
>>52394250
>y-y-you're using the computer wrong
>>
>>52394261
well he is, which is embarrassing since i'ts a mac
>>
>>52394250
Not pirating, also the screen size is irrelevant to the number of pixels with is why someone would use a high quality resizer, say nnedi3.
Also the same would happen with madvr (which is not foss) because those things are GPU demanding.
So once again theres not excuse for no having a decent GPU and trying justify it is completely retardation, the mere fact that you're protecting a brand is beyong me, you're a consumer, not a employee, act like it, retard.
>>
>>52394213
nobody fucking wants to do "professional" work on a laptop
laptops are meant for sending emails and stuff like light coding while traveling.
>>
>>52394297
Many people now use laptops as desktops, they don't have desktops anymore.
is simpler.
So yeah, many do professional work with them, just because you don't, it doesnt mean others are the same.
>>
>>52394283
stop using shit that is "good" on other systems on OSX then. OSX has superiors alternatives to that shit. mpv probably isn't even hardware accelerated, and it doesn't use core techs or metal.

>>52394297
sending emails is professional if they are work related emails. Professional =/= making transformers 4 on your laptop
>>
>>52394317
Are you really this retarded?
Do you even fucking know how mpv works?
I mean you have any fucking idea what a high quality resizer is in the first place?
Jesus christ you're embarrassing, i knew most applefags are retards but you set a new low.

Let me put it in terms a complete idiot like you would understand, is not about the media player having hardware acceleration, is about the shitty integrated GPU not being able to render such a high load task.
Go ahead google what the fuck needi3 is before sputting crap out of your ass.
And not, there are not alternatives, less superior alternatives than mpv when talking about high quality stuff.
Simple rendering a video and using bilinear if you need to scale is not a valid answer, thats what a normie and retard like you would do, enjoy eating shit, i wont.
>>
>>52394373
grow up. mpv doesn't look into OS X core techs. nor metal. do you even know what h264 hardware acceleration is?
>>
>>52394313
Everyone at every company I've worked at used a desktop 90% of the time and only used laptops as supplemental machines when traveling.
>>
>>52393042
dont forget
>119 gb SSD
>>
>>52394393
my workplace only just moved from XP machines. Work computers are not a good example of modern productivity, unless you are a startup or something
>>
>>52394390
Well this is pointless, you're a complete idiot.
>>
>>52394426
you're the one using mpv on OS X, not me
>>
>>52394431
How can someone be this dense? seriously you're unique, jesus christ.
>>
>>52394455
call me when mpv does Core Animation, Grand-Central Dispatch, even OpenCL on OS X.
>>
>>52393042
because of OSX u faggot
>>
>>52394487
Yep, you are completely retarded. No point in discussing any further.
>>
>>52394672
you're the one manually upscaling videos on a tiny screen in software that is completely isolated from the techs in OS X that make video not shit. Go back to linux loser
>>
If you want the final answer to this "problem", then watch Papa Franku's Mac vs Pc or fuck you
>>
File: 1452184365301.jpg (109 KB, 968x351) Image search: [Google]
1452184365301.jpg
109 KB, 968x351
>applel
ayy
>>
>>52394696
When two people tell you something maybe is time to be a little be more open minded, im the first guy you talked to, i told you before, mpv does indeed use hardware acceleration in OS X and you're missing the fucking point, it has nothing to do with that, rendering h.264 could easily be done with a igpu, we are talking about high quality stuff, say lanczos, spline, super-xbr, needi3, etc.
that stuff requires a discrete GPU in any OS regardless if there's hardware acceleration, to put it in layman terms that stuff can be more intensive than playing some video games.

That's why some people such myself require a discreet GPU, is not something just for gayming, there's also work, like CAD.

tl;dr you're a retard, and a GPU is not only needed for videogames.
>>
>>52394401
gb = gram barn
GB = Gigabyte = 10^9 B
GiB = Gibibyte = 2^30 B

>Why am I still here....
>>
File: 1452586413670.gif (729 KB, 716x620) Image search: [Google]
1452586413670.gif
729 KB, 716x620
>>52393042
>muh redina disbray
>>
>>52397205
Then buy a computer with a fucking discreet GPU for pointless upscaling bullshit. Otherwise almost everything else including most production programming works fine without a discreet GPU. What the fuck is your problem?
>>
>>52393258
/thread
And people completely forget about software too.

>>52393421
If you want a powerful PC then Apple shit is obviously not for you and you need a desktop.
Why the fuck would you want a laptop with a discrete GPU anyway?
>>
File: 1452620841982.jpg (5 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1452620841982.jpg
5 KB, 200x200
>>52393042
>0.8ghz
>throttling
>no fans
>2nd degree burns on the crotch
>no bios
>can't run Windows/Linux as main without boot camp
>can't manually replace parts, everything is soldered
>can't use non-apple parts for hardware
>OSX has no driver support for non-apple hardware

why even bother? a dell XPS slim bezel can shit on any laptop in the industry.
>>
>>52397458
>dell XPS slim bezel
That limits you two one or two usable operating systems, namely Linux and FreeBSD.
>>
>2016
>dual core
topkek
>>
>$1,300 for integrated graphics
>>
>>52397493
Linux works pretty well on laptops, Arch and Ubuntu derivatives are efficient as fuck.
>>
>>52397669
I'm using fedora on my turion x2 and it runs fine.
>>
>>52394025
If you are such a fucking idiot that you have to worry about viruses what the fuck are you doing on a technology board? Go shit up the apple forums while you get cucked into buying a 1500 piece of garbage.
>>
>dual core 2.7 Ghz
>i5
>>
File: 1444553713840.png (624 KB, 722x525) Image search: [Google]
1444553713840.png
624 KB, 722x525
>>52397438
>why do you need something that doesn't run like shit outside of your house
>>
> 2.7Ghz

Why don't they just advertise it as 0.8Ghz? I've yet to seea Mac that doesn't throttle down to conserve battery or due to overheating.
>>
I'm willing to pay a premium for the experience, simple as that. No amount of money will get me a machine where software and hardware work together.

There's no other laptop that has as great a trackpad as the MBs. There's also no OS that has all the trackpad gestures that OS X does. Together it's really fucking useful. Being able to swipe between multiple desktops at once is great. I hated that fullscreen created it's own separate desktop but now I've come to love it with the swipes.

There's also no laptop that has as ubiquitous a charger than MBs. Thinkpads are also common in my field, granted, but there's a lot more macbooks than thinkpads so it's nice knowing that I can always ask someone for a charger if needed.

Macbooks can run OS X and Windows well; most other PCs can run Windows well only; Hackintoshes not guaranteed to work. Linux support is shit all around and that's because DPI scaling is just trash.

Parallels for OS X is also sick as fuck. Running Windows in coherence mode is amazing, though it runs my battery to the ground.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.