[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that in every OSX thread the only negative comments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 13
File: os-x-el-capitan-logo-610x365.jpg (56 KB, 610x365) Image search: [Google]
os-x-el-capitan-logo-610x365.jpg
56 KB, 610x365
Why is it that in every OSX thread the only negative comments come from people who have never actually used it, spouting off memes, and the odd wintard that used it one time and was buttflustered when the close window button didn't close the program completely.

No one has any actual arguments against the greatness of OSX other than uninformed memes.
>>
File: el-clapistan.jpg (51 KB, 610x365) Image search: [Google]
el-clapistan.jpg
51 KB, 610x365
>>52391664
Why is it that in every OSX thread the only positive comments come from people who eat shit from their hands, spouting off memes, and the odd mactard that used windows/linux one time and was buttflustered when the close window button actually closed the program?

No one has any actual arguments against the how shit OSX is other than uninformed memes.
>>
>>52392143
you just proved my point
>>
Installing GCC/Clang requires 6+GBs of Xcode.

Fuck that.
>>
>>52392622
>wow how do i fit 6GB into my terabytes of storage

gee bill idk

Even with the smallest 128GB 6GB for all the development tools isn't that bad. Not getting AIDF here, I understand 6GB is fuckhuge for something like this (also it's Clang only, GCC is simlinked to Clang, which I find worse than the fact that its 6GB), but 6GB isn't bad in the scheme of things.
>>
>>52391664

Yeah its odd. The fight should be between unix (of whatever flavour) and m$. Because thats where the fundamental difference of philosphy is. Getting people who like unix (of whatever flavour) to fight each other only benefits m$.
>>
OSX is shit because you can only use it on a limited selection of hardware, either Apple shit or a hackintosh, which is shit.

The OS itself is lovely but it won't work on my custom PC so it's irrelevant.
>>
>>52391664
Why is it that in every OSX thread the only positive comments come from people who have never actually used anything except macs, spouting off memes, and the odd macfag that used linux one time and was buttflustered when they saw a single command line.

No one has any actual arguments for the pile of shit that is OSX other than uninformed memes.
>>
normies jizz to OSX
>>
Because any time you want to say something even remotely negative about OSX, the Apple fanboys come out of the woodwork and foam at the mouth at how wrong you are.
>>
Funny story time.
>Be me
>Have X220
>Battery Life is great with 9 Cell
>Threw 2 SSD's in it
>Fast as fuck
>Screen Res is absolute shit for stuff like Astah and Vizio
>Decide to try out OSX on school computer
>Like it
>Was concerned about pirating Adobe and MS products
>so easy
>Terminal is nice
>Gestures are nice
>Instant resume is nice

Overall, I like it. And I have a week left to demo this Mac. Will I buy one? Probably, because it's really fucking nice. All I need is to bootcamp for Access and I'll be alright.

TL;DR OSX is decent. Don't knock in until you try it.
>>
>>52392916
>The OS itself is lovely but it won't work on my custom PC so it's irrelevant

The reason OS X is so good is precisely because it is custom-integrated with a limited set of hardware that makes Apple lots of money to re-invest in both the OS and hardware, instead of trying (and failing) to be a white-label "one size fits all" like Windows.
>>
>>52392987

I think thats because the most criticism seems to be uninformed.

I love osx, but it has issues. In terms of speed linux blows it out of the water, I have code which post-processes medical images, runs about twice as fast on linux on the same hardware.

osx also really really seems to hate not having large amounts of memory, whereas linux just deals with it.

But then most people using it are not professional programmers so they just dont notice these things. For them its polished and seamless, it just works.
>>
>close button doesn't close
>minimize button doesn't minimize
>maximize button doesn't maximize

literally
>>
File: 1452555075341.webm (994 KB, 576x360) Image search: [Google]
1452555075341.webm
994 KB, 576x360
>>52393048
>OS X
>good
>>
>>52393065
even lagdroid is better
>>
>macfags will defend single digit fps on their desktop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7QwPi0slVc
>>
>>52393146
That is a feature to allow your mental complex to computate the sceneart of your desktop workplace.
>>
I don't like the dock.

Ok, so I get the whole "program stays open after you close all documents" thing. That's been MacOS's thing since the 90's.

The dock is split up into two sections, left and right. Programs are on the left, and folder shortcuts are on the right. But Finder counts as a program, so it's on the far left and you can't move it at all. If I minimize this Chrome window, it minimizes to the right side while the program is on the left side with a dot, showing that it's still open. A shortcut to my applications can only go on the right because it's technically a folder. Left clicking a folder shortcut only brings up a "view contents" menu, not its own window in Finder.

I don't like Mission Control either. Its only saving grace is that I can use Ctrl+left and Ctrl+right to move between desktops. Other than that, it's too clunky. I'd like to use my mouse wheel to move between desktops, and I'd like a bird's eye view of my desktops right on the screen at all times. The best I can do is assign a hot corner that opens up Mission Control and shows my desktops, but I have to watch a pretty animation first. Not my cup of tea.

I'm going to continue using this for the rest of the week, but I'm sure I'll go back to Debian by Friday or Saturday.
>>
>>52393715
>I'd like to use my mouse wheel to move between desktops, and I'd like a bird's eye view of my desktops right on the screen at all times.

Linux/Windows doesn't have this problem. :^)
>>
>>52391664
>and was buttflustered when the close window button didn't close the program completely.
Wait really

the close button doesn't close? What's the point?
>>
>>52392622

xcode-select --install
>>
>>52393752
takes focus away from the program, basically.
>>
>>52393800
isn't that what the minimize button does, or clicking on a different window?
>>
>>52391664

For the same reasons people bitch about cars they've never driven on Youtube comments. Know nothing know it alls who simply because they're given a platform for having an opinion decide to vocalise it, despite not knowing what they fuck they're talking about.
>>
>>52393744
Yeah, it would be nice to have a view of all desktops on the dock, maybe to the left of the Finder icon. Hell they could make it an option in System Preferences.
>>
>>52391664
>only negative comments

Says the post declaring, by yelling, that there were only negative comments.
>>
>>52393063
>close button doesn't close
cmd + Q
>minimize button doesn't minimize
cmd + M
>maximize button doesn't maximize
Spectacle + cmd + option + F

literally
>>
File: 1451973422766.jpg (133 KB, 519x600) Image search: [Google]
1451973422766.jpg
133 KB, 519x600
>>52393874
>max just work
>but first you have to memorize all these bullshit non-standard two hand keyboard shortcuts
>>
>>52393823
>u nevar tried it!â„¢
Fuck off, applel stores are everywhere and we all get forced into using it for work.
>>
>>52393874
>any other OS (i.e. not macshit)

>click close button
closes
>click minimize button
minimizes
>click maximize button
maximizes

Literally.
>>
>>52393891
honestly, once you memorize the hotkeys for any program, no matter what OS, it's way easier than constantly switching from mouse to keyboard
>>
File: Yoddler_444_LARGE.jpg (19 KB, 649x463) Image search: [Google]
Yoddler_444_LARGE.jpg
19 KB, 649x463
>>52391664
>Why is it that in every OSX thread the only negative comments come from people who have never actually used it, spouting off memes, and the odd wintard that used it one time and was buttflustered when the close window button didn't close the program completely.
<= Simple
>>
>>52393891
it's funny because you are again being a retard who has never used it. All keyboard shortcuts are viewable beside the menu items in the unified menubar.
>>
>>52393065
>chrome
There's your problem
>>
>>52393925
>Literally
Except for all those Windows programs where the close button minimizes it to the systray. Luckily you can turn that off in most programs.
>>
>>52391664
because those people who don't use it are not as blind as you retards are...

>>52392143
/thread
>>
Non OSX users will never know how god tier
command + space is.
>>
File: 1452412628383.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1452412628383.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
but anon, i'm already using OS X
>>
>>52393980
>OSX users will never know how good freedom tastes
I can set my `<Super>space` hotkey to whatever I want to. How do you feel about that?
>>
>>52393874
>use a good OS
>close button closes
>minimize button minimizes
>maximize button maximizes
>linux can still keybind to whatever you want

lol
>>
>>52393961
>uses osx
>calls someone else retarded
maximum kek
>>
File: 1452414199257.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1452414199257.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>52394022
RAJEESH
A
J
E
E
S
H
>>
>>52393036
If you're just going to be bootcamping for Access. You might be better off using Parallels.

Just use Coherence mode, and it will give you the program window for whichever program you're using.
>>
I use win, osx, Ubuntu (or whatever flavor)

The problem is that osx can only run on on my mac (no need to bother with hack).

The other operating systems operate on all my computers.

Newsflash: Apple's moved to intel (pc) hardware when IBM didn't give a shit about helping them with risc processors and helped the Sony PS4 instead.

Apple computers are regular PCs.

No need to fight. Apple just doesn't have the desire to let people use osx on PCs because they make a killing selling overpriced hardware.

They really don't do anything better except cost more. I'll say the Air is a nice laptop, but other than that.. they are form over function. Just a high priced standard intel computer just like any other.. always pushing some proprietary connector to make more money.

The g5 was the last good computer apple made, besides the Air I gueas.
>>
>>52392715
>thats where the fundamental difference of philosphy is
No, it's not. Freefags hate apple. It's not a question of unix-like vs non unix-like, but free as in freedom.
>>
>>52394333
the problem is it's 2016 and you still have non-apple computers. Intel is dead for consumers anyway. All macs will be ARM well wishing 6 years, probably with iOS as well the way OS X development seems to be going
>>
File: 1452173475504.png (104 KB, 749x773) Image search: [Google]
1452173475504.png
104 KB, 749x773
>>52394340
Free as in freedom. Freedom of choice, freedom of liberties, freedom from evil.

Anyone in tech using a mac is a literal cuck and a retard.
>>
>>52391664

Leaves too many random files in external drives.
Still no built-in window snapping such as aero.
Completely broken Samba implementation.
>>
>>52394022
Literally reddit.
>>
>>52394340

Well thats nice for you, but from my perspective as a professional programmer, as opposed to some wannabe writing shelll scripts at home, i assure you that unix vs m$ is very much the point.

This whole free or not thing is just noise, so you got a free os, capitalism still won, it doesnt matter, the game is over. Its a race to the bottom now.
>>
>>52394495
>fart app maker
>thinks he belongs on /g/

Fuck off skiddie.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53gr0jL8YM
>>
>>52391664
offers no benefit over Windows or Linux

Costs significantly more than it should

Run by a homosexual
>>
>>52394495
I'm just telling you why most Linux users don't like Apple/OS X. I'm not making it up.
>>
>>52394378
>Free as in freedom. Freedom of choice, freedom of liberties, freedom from evil.

Funny. Cos using a free OS gives you all that right?
>>
>>52394495
KEK
U
C
K
>>52394378
>>
>>52394340
I will say this and you will listen: software freedom doesn't matter.
>>
>>52394524
kekd heartily. pls post more
>>
>>52394538

Yeah and I'm just telling you that pitting linux against osx is a diversion that only benefits m$.
>>
>>52394542
>>52394568
So much reddit
>>
>>52394583
No, it benefits GNU/Linux too. Why are macfags so stupid?
>>
>>52394562

So you dont actually have a cogent argument then.
>>
File: 1445123714156.jpg (14 KB, 400x262) Image search: [Google]
1445123714156.jpg
14 KB, 400x262
>>52394378
This desu senpai.

Anyone using an Apple product is subhuman scum and should kill themselves for the good of humanity.
>>
>>52394602

Not in my experience.
>>
>>52394646
Get more experience.
>>
>>52394654

Been programming since I was 12, am now 48, I recall booting linux of floppies and suns off tape. Yourself?
>>
File: 1301908834796.jpg (112 KB, 544x650) Image search: [Google]
1301908834796.jpg
112 KB, 544x650
Poverty is a mental illness.
>>
File: 1452241603011.jpg (866 KB, 800x2500) Image search: [Google]
1452241603011.jpg
866 KB, 800x2500
>>52394711
this desu senpai
>>
>>52391664
>No one has any actual arguments against the greatness of OSX other than uninformed memes.
It's not helped by trolls like you, OP.
You keep posting the "pro Mac" to that rile up the mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, chest-thumping Winfags. Then you samefag to keep them stirred up.
Nett result is a lot of hormone-laden perspiration in the basements of America.
>>
I don't need to taste shit to see that it's already shit.
>>
>>52391664
My only real complaint is that apple has decided to fuck up the standard ctrl, super/win, alt keyboard functions. Every other computer I own, Linux and Windows, use the same shortcuts, but apple fucks it up by being different.
>>
>>52394777
Apple was first to market a GUI.
The other OS broke their standard.
>>
I have been using mac since OS 7. I am not a programmer, but I use a mac daily. That said everytime OSX updated beyond 10.5-10.6 I end up turning off a bunch of bloat. Also the lack of removable battery is frustrating. Not my problem but I hear soldered ram is annoying. Basically any MBP after 2011 is a timebomb of fail that you need to return to the mother ship.

I find Apples design decisions to be geared toward being pretty more so than useful.

also I got my MBP for free.
>>
>>52394790
What? That keyborad clump has nothing to do with a GUI. A GUI doesn't rely on muscle memory the same way using a keyboard does.
>>
>>52393891
>Cmd+Q
>Cmd+M
>Cmd+Option+F
>two handed
>>
>>52395010
>homSEeX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHHsGMoO1-k
>>
>>52394534
one benefit over windows is that it's not memeware.

one benefit over linux is commercial software
>>
>>52395214
>not memeware
>OSX

gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>52395250
there's no weird shit that gets detected over the network such as the telemetry communication you see when using windows 10
>>
>>52395044
>mac shut down randomly

i've been using hackintosh for 3 years, mavericks yosemite and el capitan and this has never happened.

winfaggots have to stoop to making shit up to try and bash macs
>>
>>52391664
you need a terminal command (every time you reboot) to dissemble mouse acceleration
you dont actually uninstall programs, you just delete the folder it's in leaving all the remaining files out there
lots of 3rd party software costs money and be shitty or just ok at best
backwards compatibility is shit
>>
I've used it. It was alright, but I prefer Windows or Linux. Both are more useful and comfy.
>>
>>52397151
>Windows
>useful or comfy
Wow.
>>
>>52397020

The guy in the video is talking about Mac OS 9 or earlier, which was shit.
>>
>>52391664
I don't use it but I have used it.
Using it is what made me stick with windows
>>
>>52394744
Underrated post
>>
>>52393752
>>52393800
OSX separates program and documents (windows). One program instance can have as many documents as it wants to (offer), even 0. The close button closes the current document but it does not influence the program instance.
This used to be the philosophy on OSX for a long time. Nowadays we see more and more programs that "auto-close" when all their documents are closed so it's not really consistent anymore.
>>
>>52397134
>you need a terminal command
SmoothMouse. You're fucking stupid.
>you just delete the folder
Use the uninstaller.
Or look in Library > Preferences and do it yourself if you're really paranoid about leaving 50 KB files all over. You fucking shit head.
>3rd party software costs money
REALLY?!? HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!
BETTER TELL ALL MY FRIENDS!!
>backwards compatibility is shit
ok.
>>
>>52398937
>>3rd party software costs money
>REALLY?!? HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!
>BETTER TELL ALL MY FRIENDS!!

It's free on GNU plus Linux.

This doesn't mean you never pay anything, just that you pay what you want. I gave more to Mozilla than I would've given to a 17$ Twitter client (price of Tweetbot for Mac OS X so far).

The true cost of GNU/Linux is that your OS is free, your Twitter client is free, your computer costs 40$ but your t-shirts cost 100$.
>>
>>52394258
Thanks for the tip. My financial aid hasn't come in yet, which is how I'm buying the laptop, but I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>52397134
>you need a terminal command (every time you reboot) to dissemble mouse acceleration
holy fuck man have you really never heard of a bashrc file?

Anyway I'm kind of liking capitan - got a loan of a 2010 macbook with i7 and nVidia chip. I really do not like their arbitrary decision to use the super key for copy, paste etc. instead of control. The window management is kind of terrible too, mission control should allow you to type like launchpad to open programs but it doesn't for absolutely no reason. Opening programs often causes it to open behind whatever other window you're using.
>>
>>52394790
Xerox begs to differ
>>
>>52401436
You can swap command for control in settings you special snoflawke
>>
>>52393752
Because you don't want to close a program just because you don't want to see it anymore, Windows has the same feature for some programs but it is very inconsistent
>>
>>52402717
I don't need control at the bottom. I need the keys the way they should be.
>>
Been a few years since I touched OS X, I bought into the meme early and owned a PowerBook G3 (Pismo) and 12" G4 Powerbook (both are now running debian-ppc)

Does Finder still rename with Enter and open with cmd-O? Dumbest fucking shit I've ever seen in my life.
>>
>fresh install of Hackintosh
Feels good man.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.