[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: 1451364321761.jpg (179 KB, 1280x689) Image search: [Google]
1451364321761.jpg
179 KB, 1280x689
This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have.
If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
I'm technologically illiterate and I'm in the process of getting a new laptop. I plan on mainly using it for games and audio/video recording within my budget of 1400. What should I look out for, are MSIs a good model, and is Windows 10 not worth updating?
>>
Firefox just told me "Accessibility not available during multi-process support."
What the fuck does this mean?
>>
>>52389665
>I'm technologically illiterate and I'm in the process of getting a new laptop. I plan on mainly using it for games
>laptop
>games
>budget of 1400 USD
Why do this? Do you need the portability or is that laptop never going to leave the house?
>>
>>52389665
Well, first we'll need to know why you want a laptop if you're using it for gaming. You could make a fairly high-end desktop for $1400.
>>
>>52389744
>>52389746
Portability to bring it in the city when I need it and gaming just because I've never had a good opprotunity to get into the master race. Also I don't know the first thing about building anything.
>>
File: 1449296839487.jpg (131 KB, 700x933) Image search: [Google]
1449296839487.jpg
131 KB, 700x933
is it better to learn a low-level language before learning a high level language?

I'm learning python right now, but I'm wondering if learning C and then moving to pyhton wouldn't be more efficient in the long run in terms of understanding how the code/computer works as a whole. pic unrealestate
>>
>>52389665
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV7FUK2/
You could get the Alienware 17 R3 on your budget, but it's heavy af. Plus people who own alienware are faggots.

This is still good, and portable enough to qualify as a laptop. Little dated, but not badly.
>>
>>52389851
>Also I don't know the first thing about building anything.
pcpartpicker.com, it tells you if parts are incompatible or not, start with the CPU and pick either a haswell refresh, haswell-e or skylake, then pick i5 or i7 K versions
>>
Does anyone know of a program that views a webpage like a directory?

>>52389865
I figure just learn one well, then take in the fact that you'll get confused with any other language anyways.
>>
>>52389665
>>52389851
Logical Increments is a good baseline if you don't know what you're doing and are worried about picking incompatible parts.
The assembly itself is about as complicated as Lincoln Logs.
>>
970 still worth buying? Can+t wait pascal need something in the meantime.
>>
How much would you guys pay for a multisync crt monitor?
>>
File: 1447570314137.jpg (81 KB, 876x780) Image search: [Google]
1447570314137.jpg
81 KB, 876x780
i have a new speaker setup that goes Computer through USB to my dac/amp (fiio e10 olympus) through coaxial to a rca y splitter to the receiver.
when I connect to the receiver with bluetooth my music comes through the speakers just fine, but when i use the computer through the above route, all i get is static with very faint audio at high levels. the 3.5mm on the front of the dac works with my headphones, but something is wrong with the coaxial, What do I do /g/ :/
>>
>>52390051
It's a great card, but the 390 will have better longevity.
>>
File: 1294218446007.jpg (85 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1294218446007.jpg
85 KB, 300x300
>Are hard drives still as sensitive to heat than they were largely believed to be?

>Would a modern external drive be any less reliable than an internal one, barring any catastrophic damage?

>Is a pre-packaged NAS any better or worse than a diskless one?
>>
Best CCleaner alternative?
>>
>>52390151
Yes. They will burst into flames at temperatures above 30°C.

Yes. Because it isn't built into the computer the risk of you losing it is higher.

Yes.
>>
>>52390210
bleachbit, but what's wrong with ccleaner?
>>
File: 1452629799787.jpg (27 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1452629799787.jpg
27 KB, 500x281
Reposting from older thread

So I have this MSI 970A-G46 that refuses to boot, and I have no speaker to listen to POST codes.

It has all fans running but no lights on keyboard or mouse.

I tried switching RAMs, checking everything and still had the same problem.

I left it disconnected overnight and when I woke up, it booted just fine.

After a couple reboots it stopped booting.

Then I tried clearing CMOS and it booted after a couple tries, then I reseted the BIOS settings and it stucked again after the next reboot.

Is the mobo fucked up? Please tell me it isn't, I can't afford one right now.

Also, I have to boot with HDMI, I have it connected to a TV that goes black if it is on VGA mode and doesn't detect any input right away. But this is a problem of the tv that is fucking itself up too.
>>
>>52389665

Unless you're travelling constantly all you need is a chinkpad and desktop at home.

The downsides of "gaming" laptops are too many to commit to one. You can always play older games on integrated graphics, no recent games are fun anyway.
>>
>>52390236
Is your power supply adequate?
>>
So I know fuck all about tablets, but am thinking of getting one because my laptop shit the bed and I'd like something that I can access the internet with. If I want to be able to browse the internet, do a little bit of gaming (probably mostly on emulators), and have a budget of around $300-400, what would you recommend? Should I go for an ipad, a windows tablet, or an android tablet? I was considering the nexus 9, but like I said, I know next to nothing about tablets.
>>
>>52390051

>3.5

top hue, get a 390.
>>
What's a good, lightweight browser? Upgrading to a dual-core for gaming and budget reasons, and not sure leaving 5-10 tabs of Opera open while gaming would be a good idea
>>
>>52390229
steam support says it interferes with VAC

I can personally confirm it as it disconnects me from csgo servers
>>
>>52390210
I use the following all on one machine
adwcleaner
bleachbit portable
jrt
malewarebytes (mbam)
and roguekiller

so, is there a way I can alter a comman set for a program, I want to launch a text editor, but I don't want to launch it's graphical side, merely launch it in-terminal
usually I have to type in
 editor --no-window-system 

is there anyway I can alter this so I only have to type in
 editor 
>>
>>52390291

As long as you have enough ram you'll be fine.
>>
>>52390051
Unless you need a tiny card, get the 390. It's a better card and costs about the same: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-390-vs-GeForce-GTX-970
>>
So I'm going to be getting into raspberry pi-like devices as a computer and I was wondering what some good reading material is and what limitations I should be aware of.
What I purchased is the $29 Pine64+ I have no clue what to expect and what all tech wizardry that it has. Thanks for all of your help!
>>
>>52390272
I guess, but can't tell if it is the cause since I have no other PC or PSU to test with.
It hasn't had any weird behavior whatsoever before this.
>>
I'm looking for some music player that will be able to play my google music library from all acces, and will support also local music. Is there anything like that?
>>
I'm using windows 10, I want my ethernet adapter to be used for LAN only stuff, even though there's a DHCP server running on that LAN. Is there an easy way to do this?
>>
>>52390317
Should be fine with my 8 gigs, then. Thanks anon
>>
>>52390363

definitely, as long as you don't have 50 tabs using flash you'll be fine. Currently on 8 gigs: 20 tabs, Fallout 4, speccy and foobar and barely 90%.
>>
Can somebody recommend me a small syllabus of C++ books that would get me ready for making GUI programs in C++? I have experience programming in Python, C# but none in C++.
>>
>>52390324
Why not 290? Isn't that same shit, with more pleasant pricetag?
>>
>>52390453

Sure. If you can find one new.
>>
Is there a way to blacklist packages in Zypper/PackageKit?

For example, to prevent the utterly useless shit package K3B from being reinstalled during an update, how do I blacklist it after purging it in a cleansing light of purification?
>>
>>52390444
You need a set of tutorials fit a specific windowing kit. Whether it's windows firms qt or wxwidgets. Each toolkit will be different.
>>
File: Bee09.jpg (115 KB, 1280x670) Image search: [Google]
Bee09.jpg
115 KB, 1280x670
>>52390307

Don't run it while you're in game?

It's never disconnected me from anything

>>52390363
8 gb ram is more than enough for daily use, even using shit like chrome
>>
>>52390316
alias editor="editor --no-window-system"
>>
>>52390518
>Don't run it while you're in game?

I never did. I even disabled monitoring mode on ccleaner.
>>
>>52390337
Expect it to perform like a slightly old 4 core laptop with 2GB of RAM running Linux. Aside from the availability of GPIO pins, and how the bootloader works, these SBCs work just like other computers. Maybe if you find benchmarks for an android tablet with the A53, you'll get a solid idea of its computational abilities.
>>
>>52390543
cheers, what will this do to the current alias of 'editor'?
cus currently typing in 'editor' will launch it in graphical mode
will it just over write it meaning I'd need to alter the aliases to launch it in graphical mode
>>
File: Bee01.jpg (142 KB, 1280x790) Image search: [Google]
Bee01.jpg
142 KB, 1280x790
>>52390560
That's strange, there's no reason for CCleaner to fiddle with any network connections. Are you 100% certain it's because of CCleaner?
>>
>>52390570
To launch it in graphical mode from the terminal use a wack.
e.g. after setting up the alias:
"editor" will launch in CLI mode.
"\editor" will launch in GUI mode.

For details about what alias can do, check here http://www.linfo.org/alias.html
>>
File: internal-card-reader.jpg (101 KB, 1250x1250) Image search: [Google]
internal-card-reader.jpg
101 KB, 1250x1250
Are any of these decent? Seems like they all have shit reviews.
>>
>>52390622
awesome, thank you so much
>>
I bought an ssd and I'm a lazy fuck. I plugged it into the sata thing and the power thing, but I didn't mount it. It sorta just hangs there on top of my unplugged optical drive. Is mounting SSD's a meme?
>>
>>52390611
According to their steam support page it is my best bet.

I am 90% sure.

I've tried running all their commands and those instructions they gice all I have left to try is uninstalling ccleaner as they claim it is a 3rd party software that conflicts with it. I have no ideia why it would.
>>
Is there anywhere to download Chuwi Hi8 Windows 8.1 drivers? Or will Windows be able to find them?
>>
File: IMG_20160111_123802-01.jpg (2 MB, 2927x2202) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160111_123802-01.jpg
2 MB, 2927x2202
Trying to boot remix os, but shows this and then reboots, any ideas?
>>
can laptop chargers be used for other laptops? i have a 4 year old laptop charger.can i use it for my hp i bought this year?
>>
I bought SICP and want to write code and test ideas as I read through it. Is it reasonable to do this with C/C++, or will it be a nightmare unless I do it with LISP? I'm a professional PHP webdev so I can code and setup an environment for whatever, but I wanna up my game and potentially shift to software deving.
>>
>>52390566
So like a Lenovo z61e running xp on 3 gigs of ram? Because I have one of those...
I've never done anything with Linux at all, though I've heard it boots really fast and isn't a RAM got.
>>
>>52390665
>I didn't mount it and it doesn't work
>Is mounting a meme
Well you ignored the meme and it didn't work.
>>
>>52390766
I never said it didn't work. I installed win10 pro and I haven't had an issue. Can anything happen?
>>
>>52390665
No it isn't.

Mount that shit before it falls and causes a fire.

t. happened to me
>>
>>52390741
Depends.

Compare the port with the charger head.

Be warned though: that shit can and might burn.

I'd just by a new charger t b h familia.
>>
>>52390897
thanks, id rather not risk it.
>>
I recently installed awesomewm and I tried to at the battery widget from delightful, but after I added the widget to the rc.lua and I reload awesome I get the error:
"module libpaths not found"
it seems in paths/init.lua

I do not know lua (yet) so, I', not sure what to search for, because google does not help very much in this case.
>>
File: 1407443890156.png (175 KB, 1448x980) Image search: [Google]
1407443890156.png
175 KB, 1448x980
Anyone know where I can find a free pdf copy of "Alice 3 in Action with Java"?
>>
File: lH8n4.gif (18 KB, 500x255) Image search: [Google]
lH8n4.gif
18 KB, 500x255
What kind of font is this? I thought it was System but the 1 and y don't match.
>>
what are the benefits of learning a coding language? like, I've always wanted to get into it but I've never been able to. I toyed with C# and VS for a bit but I'd like to do neat things in Linux. what do
>>
>>52391044
ask >>>/wsr/ or >>>/r/
>>
im looking for a video camera to help record videos of my car at the track.
I dont really care about the video quality that much but rather i need something like an action camera(that is easily mountable on the dash or what ever) but it needs the ability to attach external microphone input as i already have a decent mic and an extension cable for recording the audio outside the car.

im more interested in audio quality hence why i have an external mic but i just need something to plug it into.
while go pro would be prime choice i dont have that kind of money
looking around the 100 dollar or less mark
is this unreasonable?
>>
I am a babby when it comes to programming (I have a working knowledge of Java and C#) and I want to start making simple GUI based programs in Linux to automate certain tasks, as well as start learning more about programming in general. Where's a good place to start and what language/IDE do Linux developers tend to use?
>>
File: riploop.jpg (56 KB, 731x290) Image search: [Google]
riploop.jpg
56 KB, 731x290
Why won't chrome give me the option to loop/unloop webms anymore?
>>
>>52391225
https://superuser.com/questions/329027/bios-font-rom-font-where-to-get-them
>>
>>52390749
Probably a reasonable comparison. The GPU on the pinecore is going to be better though.
>>
>>52390665

I use velcro and or zip ties to secure them but whatever.
>>
>>52390741
>>52390915

Yeah, just check the line voltage is the same as the voltage specified somewhere on your laptop, generally under the battery and the amperage is equal to or exceeds the required amperage.

Most laptop chargers are 19V 3.42 A and most laptop requirements are below 3.42 ampers.

If you are too retarded to follow these instructions then by all means buy another one.
>>
File: 1441768591416.gif (1 MB, 268x280) Image search: [Google]
1441768591416.gif
1 MB, 268x280
>>52391626
I also want to know.
>>
I want to read a loli h-manga but can't motivate myself to find a good one. I only like happy ones without rape or mindbreak or drugs or anything. What should I download.
>>
>>52389865
>>52389865
High level first.

As with most things, understanding why we do things before the how is crucial.

Python will teach you basic computation, C will guide you through the river Styx that is low level programming.
>>
File: 213123.png (274 KB, 1547x784) Image search: [Google]
213123.png
274 KB, 1547x784
its 75f outside not really that hot but my computer keeps overheating

It used to be 25/30 c idle most of the time but whenever i do literally anything on my computer it goes up to 60 c

Any ideas /g/ ?
>>
>>52392053
clean out the heatsink with compressed air
>>
>>52391846
Cool, thank you. So you think I'd be able to add more RAM to it?
>>
On a scale of 1 to 10...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JVFXjX
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cTqdK8
>>
>>52392167
Why did you buy a single board computer

Was it for video games

be honest now
>>
Should i enable virtualization if im not using a virtual desktop? Does system performane drop?
>>
>>52392053
>msi
found your problem
also, your heatsink is not seated correctly, have a professional do it for you.
>>
>>52392223
No, actually I wanted to get an arduino and saw this and was like: 'hey! I could check email and torrent textbooks... I mean watch YouTube with this!' I also wanted something I could try Linux on that wasn't my lappy. So yeah, to some extent I wanted to play games on it. Though I know GW2 or Far Cry 2 are impossible to run at a decent speed on this.
>>
>>52392257
What makes you think my heatsink is not seated properly? Wouldnt I be having this issue since the time I build it ?

Thing is I overclocked to 4,2ghz with this shitty mobo but it's been working pretty good for the last 6 months, and I dont have additional coolers expect the heatsink
>>
An ancient IBM prebuilt my relatives have is acting weird.

The BIOS took a long time, often minutes, to pass away, it wasn't from the BIOS settings, I checked, nothing abnormal.

As for Windows (XP), after the BIOS passes away, it gets you the welcome screen but with some error and after a long pause (I couldn't see it due to what I will say soon).

It kept getting stuck at the Welcome screen, with no sign of doing anything at all, just pausing there, no error or anything.

I got a Linux distro on a USB drive, just trying to get whatever data they have on the system, and format it to a clean state.

The distro won't boot, gave me errors (Error 8000 and something with sectors if I remember correctly), it worked well on another laptop, though.

I flashed it again, but now the whole system doesn't seem to run, it turns on, but I get nothing on the display, it and the VGA cable work as I tried it with another system, and I can hear BIOS beeps if I screw around with the RAM sticks, so something is still running, partially at least.

What could be the problem? Motherboard gave up?
tl;dr: System takes a long time to do anything, keeps failing progressively, now won't post.
>>
In a Unix like terminal, how can I send the output of diff to a file instead of just printing directly? I suspect that it's a way for me to more accurately check for unwanted whitespaces/tabs, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

for example, if the regular diff command is
diff -c FILE1 FILE2
>>
>>52392499
never mind, I remembered it:
> operator
>>
Is there any point in using 64bit chrome if all I do is browse 4chan and watch youtube?
>>
File: specs.png (140 KB, 991x747) Image search: [Google]
specs.png
140 KB, 991x747
I'm planning on upgrading my rig sometime in the next few months. Upgrading from pic related. I'll likely only have $300 to work with, so don't suggest a 6600k

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HFwwBm
>>
real stupid [spoiler]not g related [/spoiler] question
never gambled in my life, becuase off odds. how do you do the powerball.
do you just go to one of the machines and get a ticket
>>
Which browser do you use and why?
Firefox is a bloated, slow waste of time?
Is it time to concede to le botnet?
>>
trying to HTTP post a byte array (audio file) to vocaroos api, http response comes back and has no location in the header (which it should, to tell user the file ID)

what does this mean
>>
>>52392979
Oooh ooh! I can help with this one!
I would go up to the cashier and ask, or customer service. Tons of people are probably doing it.
>>
>>52391966
Still waiting on suggestions
>>
>>52393034
I'd travel to >>>/r/ for that... Or /b/
>>
>>52391966
>>52393034
doujin-moe
>>
>>52392979
Yep.

It's all bubble-in.

Get a playing slip at a participator, bubble in what numbers you want, hand it to the cashier when done. Each slip has 5 plays (A-E), they're $2 each. If you don't wanna do the bubble ins, you can just tell the cashier to get do a Quick Play, the machine will choose the numbers for you. The playslips have all the instructions in the back, or you can just ask the cashier.

Quick Play is the fastest way though. Go in, ask for a number of Quick Plays for Powerball, pay, leave with ticket, pray to RNGesus. Not recommended if you don't trust machines to choose for you.
>>
I just put together a computer with a new mobo, cpu, and gpu and I when I turn it on it starts up for a second or two and shuts down. wut do?
>>
>>52393131
do the fans spin

is the ram seated correctly in the right dims
>>
What should I do with my life?
>>
I was reading about these new CPUs that actually get colder under load rather than hotter. How come these aren't used more in computer products? Is the technology just too new or something?
>>
>>52391836
Thank you.
>>
>>52393139
Everything seems to run when it does turn on, I also took out all the ram and it stays on but beeps.
>>
What's the best truecrypt alternative? Veracrypt? Or am I better off using a VM with Linux?

I'm really just looking for something to store stuff like cryptocurrency wallets.
>>
>>52393131
Is the MOBO grounded? It might be turning off to protect the hardware

>>52393147
>>>/adv/
then
>>>/fit/
followed by
>>>/fa/
then
>>>/soc/

Alternatively you could just not do anything and whine about it on >>>/r9k/
>>
>>52393147
Study up
Git gud
Make cool shit
Profit
Fund projects that are worthwhile
Become a legend
>>
>>52389865
Learn low-level early so that you can understand what exactly a computer is doing and so that you can have a better understanding of how to work in higher level languages
>>
>>52393179
>Is the MOBO grounded? It might be turning off to protect the hardware

what does it mean to be grounded? This is the first time I installed a motherboard so I'm pretty retarded
>>
is cybrary.it /g/ approved or not?
>>
Very stupid question:
Why apple sells macbooks in US cheaper than in Europe? I mean Pro 2015 is like 1299$ and 1449€ in Europe so...
>>
>>52393220
Looks pretty cool if you're 12 years old
>>
I use firefox, and regularly sign in to sync on different machines. Everything works well except bookmarks; no matter what I try I always end up with tons of old bookmarks showing up. Like when you sign in on Ubuntu, and it adds the bookmarks that Ubuntu ships with to what syncs, and you end up with tons of copies of those being synced to each computer. I just want whatever I most recently had to sync
>>
>>52393227
VAT and possibly longer EU mandated warranty
>>
>>52393214
Basically, did you use standoffs (pic related) so your MOBO is raised and not touching the case

These prevent discharges to the mobo.
>>
File: standoff.jpg (11 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
standoff.jpg
11 KB, 500x500
>>52393280
>pic related
>>
>>52392053

Clean up your shit.
>>
>>52393003
Opera. It's fast, doesn't use a ton of RAM (70mb for 6 tabs), and hasn't given me any fuss.
>>
>>52393200
study what?
>>
>>52393272
And why almost all US people in tv shows, university pictures, congress speeches have a macbook? Do they love so much Apple? In almost all the US tv shows are macbooks
>>
>>52392053

Limpia ese cooler Felipe sucio del orto
>>
>>52393280
The little things that I use to screw in below the mobo? Yes I did, however I didn't have enough to fill every hole on my mobo but the mobo isn't touching the case so I don't think that's a problem. I should let you know that when I take out all my ram, the system does stay on with beeping
>>
>>52393292
Whatever will make you git gud
>>
>>52393305
how many sticks are you using?

Try 1 only
>>
>>52392209

I'm guessing you're buying a Z97 mobo for an i3 because you may be getting an unlocked CPU down the road, that's fine but I don't trust ASSrock.

If you're going the AMD way, might as well get an aftermarket cooler.
>>
>>52393307
I don't know what that means. I'm starting school again for the 4th time at the end of the month and I'm already convinced I'm fucked.

I've tried to self-teach some programming by going on codecademy.com but by the end of the course I'm left not knowing what to do. Sure I can probably spit out some "Hello Worlds" but nothing meaningful in the slightest.

I'm lost, senpai.
>>
>>52393330
I did, every time it just powers on and shuts off after a second.
>>
>>52392634

>rig

start by killing yourself, then squeeze in an SSD.

I'd much rather wait for a deal on a 4690k + Z97 (any will do) than getting a locked skylel. You can reuse your RAM too which should give space for a 212 EVO.
>>
>>52393357
Shit nigga, take pics.

My only guesses right now are

>power supply is shit
>dead mobo
>missing an entire vital piece
>>
>>52393165

a single beep?
>>
>>52393299
I never got this either. Apple literally pays $0 to have their products featured in movies
>>
>>52393396
I doubt it's the psu, I tried another one with the same results, and I also just got this mobo so idk. I'll try to take a pic in a second
>>
Just to make sure my upgrade plan is retarded

With each new CPU gen Intel puts out, they use a different socket type, right? IE: you have to buy a new mobo each new gen
>>
>>52393342
Start small, find a problem and try to solve it or automate something that annoys you.
>>
>>52393342
Figure out what kind of a project you want to build and then build it. Rinse, repeat
>>
What is the best Video player on android for watching animu? MXplayer always has this shitty banding on my Galaxy Tab S
>>
I have a question if any anons can help, I copied someone's email onto the clipboard on my phone and forgot to save it and copied something else how can I access the history, I'm using an android phone. I've tried Google but it only helps for situations after installing the apps
>>
>>52393342

Search your soul, maybe you're not cut up for STEM at all, and that's fine, doesn't mean you're stupid.

Ironically one of the hardest parts of growing up is all the freedom, no one there to tell you what to do, but everyone expecting you do SOMETHING; I hope and expect you have a family that's got your back. So get out there and make a man of yourself.

Mind you, whichever path you choose it takes a lot of effort and sacrifice to make it, so might as well be actually connected to what you do.
>>
File: Splash1-600x336.png (97 KB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
Splash1-600x336.png
97 KB, 600x336
What are some totally legal things you could do with Kodi?

I wanted to stream local television to my laptop but apparently there is no addon for that (checked the archive).

I'm in college and I got in trouble for streaming a movie last week on the dorm wifi.
>>
>>52393516
Wtf do they say something for watching non payed movies?
>>
File: CM160112-200916001 (1).jpg (185 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
CM160112-200916001 (1).jpg
185 KB, 1280x800
>>52393396
here's a pic
>>
>>52393554
Some lady gave me and three other students a talk about piracy and how it's banned on campus and made us sign a form basically saying we won't do it again or we will be kicked out.
>>
File: 4cards.jpg (77 KB, 620x368) Image search: [Google]
4cards.jpg
77 KB, 620x368
What's the best GTX 980 Ti? (EVGA, STRIX, MSI, etc...)
>>
>>52393583
>not DLing in a public place on beater laptop
>not using a VPN
You deserve it.
>>
Did a fresh install of xp on another friends laptop
I don't know why this time of all times when I'm strapped for the most time, but I have absolutely zero permissions to do absolutely anything and I for the life of me can't figure out what the fuck is up, i'm gonna break out in hives soon.

Every time i look up the message, I get answers for instances where windows has been installed and functioning for a good while for other people, but nothing for those who've freshly installed Via USB
(Its a HP Mini 5103 netbook just by the way)

Does anyone still use XP?
>>
what the fuck is up with the new outlook bullshit?
Where is my old inbox? how the fuck do i quit this "preview"?
>>
>>52393621
i know.

i got lazy and just thought there would be no surveillance for that type of thing. guess i was wrong.
>>
What is the best alternative to Chrome? I'm looking for a non botnet spy browser but keeping brownsing quality. I don't like Firefox, too slow and videos take more time to play fluid
>>
File: 1358649052247.png (31 KB, 270x272) Image search: [Google]
1358649052247.png
31 KB, 270x272
Why do the absolute retards on here tell me to go through SICP or How to Design Programs, both books on Lisp Scheme, an absolutely useless language that no one in my fucking uni (Berkeley) uses, when I tell them I want to learn basic programming.

I mean, when I ask that, you'd have to be an idiot not to get the implication that I'm asking for something USEFUL like an intro C++ book. Am I getting fucking memed on?
>>
>>52390291
Get the extension "The Great Suspender" for Chrome (not sure of firefox equivalent). It will suspend tabs you leave open for a long time so they don't use system resources.
>>
>>52393581
Can't tell if anything is wrong with it.

Your best bet is to reverse engineer it, make sure everything is plugged where it's supposed to be, and hope the MOBO didn't come in completely fucked (it happens a lot, unfortunately)
>>
>>52393627

G E N T O O
E
N
T
O
O
>>
>>52393695
You're not getting memed on. You're just a mental midget who can't see the forest for the trees. Computer science isn't about "learning a language." Scheme is an effective teaching tool precisely because its minimal syntax divorces the important fundamental concepts from the meaningless cruft.

If your idea of being USEFUL is writing poorly-constructed enterprise tier garbage and fending off Indians for your low-paying codemonkey position, then by all means "learn C++."
>>
File: Jewsoft on it again.png (44 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Jewsoft on it again.png
44 KB, 1366x768
>>52393628
pic related.
>>
>>52393748
this aint stupid answers general, son.
If it were mine, i'd rather ubuntu.

if you got a torrent of the linux version for TVPaint then by all means void my question.
>>
>>52393695
you're a complete fucking mongoloid, but on that note: what compiler should I use if I want to go through HTDP? DrRacket?
>>
File: Hackerman.gif (1 MB, 393x216) Image search: [Google]
Hackerman.gif
1 MB, 393x216
I'm trying to crack Adobe Premiere Pro, because I'm a despicable human being who doesn't care about personal freedoms. I've previously used a free trial of the program, and its fucking with the installer that I have to use to crack it, saying "Your free trial has expired." I'm going to assume that this is based on some kind of registry key, because I didn't log in or connect to the internet. Does anyone have any experience with cleaning Adobe trial shit out of the Windows registry? I need this
>>
File: 1452594089472.jpg (12 KB, 246x227) Image search: [Google]
1452594089472.jpg
12 KB, 246x227
Hello my friends. The PSU on my pc broke so I purchased a new one and hooked up all the connections to their appropriate spots. When I attempted to turn on the pc the power lights come on and the system fans spin but i don't receive a signal on my monitor and I don't hear any beeps coming from my motherboard. This PC previously worked fine on my other PSU without any issues so I'm assuming I just have something connected improperly. Any suggestions?

Things I have tried:
1. using a different ram slot/different ram card
2. unplugging any excess devices. (hard drive, optical drive)
3. Google

Also my previous PSU was 400W and my current one is 600W, dunno if that could cause an issue. If all else fails i'll just have to waste ~$100 taking it to a repair shop tomorrow.
>>
>>52393919
sounds like you should reinstall windows
>>
>>52393952
Did you connect auxiliary power to the GPU(if your GPU doesn't have any 4/6 pin power connectors, or if you don't have one at all, don't worry about it) and CPU?
>>
I know in the theoretical long term, leaving things plugged in and charged at 100% for long periods of time (like leaving my phone plugged in overnight) is bad

But is it bad in the short term? I tend to plug in my phone and then go to bed even though it only takes an hour or two to charge from straight dead. It ends up with 6-8 hours of being plugged in while charged. Am I harming my phone to the point of my battery leaking acid or something soon?
>>
I know this is more of a /wsg/ question, but >slowboard

Is there a way to estimate the file size when making webms? (using ffmpeg)
>>
>>52393600
I personally prefer EVGA and MSI products. They've done good by me
>>
>>52393952

$10 say it's a corsair CX
>>
my headphones or busted and im poor, i want to be able to listen to music in bed with my [spoiler]headset[/spoiler] without having to get up to change the song on youtube or some shit like that.
My idea was to utilize the google 'airplay' thing or whatever its called to bring youtube videos up on my computer using my phone, like with a game console or a Chromecast. Is this possible?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Should I keep Avira? Or ar there any other better antivitus programs?
>>
>>52393985
My GPU isn't very powerfull and does not require any extra connections like that. I don't even have my graphics card plugged in and instead have my connection going straight into my computer's onboard graphics. as for the CPU, you are referring to the 4 pin connector, right? I do have that plugged in. My PSU has two 4 pin connectors but my motherboard only takes one of them and it is plugged in
>>
Why not just start at 1 instead of 0?
>>
>>52394014
actually I was mistaken my new PSU is 500W and it's EVGA.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Continuous-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452660967&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+500w
>>
>>52390635
mine went to complete shit after about two years. but, after having it for only six months or so i had problems keeping usb devices connected to it. unless you REALLY need all that compatibility, id say just get a microSD to USB adapter and use microSD to SD adapters for your cameras or whatever.
>>
>>52393987
>to the point of my battery leaking acid
lolno, but the battery life can get significantly shorter.
>>
>>52394052
because 0 exists, so it must be considered. As the first one.
>>
>>52394024
If you have a geniune version of Windows, just use Windows Defender.

If you don't, you're screwed anyway. Pirate Windows are never safe. Go for GNULinux or buy a license.
>>
>>52394088
Since the battery is internal, can I take it to a shop to get it swapped or do I have to send it in or some horseshit?

I have a galaxy note 5
>>
>>52394112
but you can get a genuine version through piracy.
>>
>>52394038
Make sure you've got all the necessary slots filled on the Motherboard power connector. There should be a 20 pin connector with a 4 pin connector in with it
>>
>>52394128
Samsung went the way of Apple and build their devices to be incredibly user unfriendly when it comes to repairs, you have to have a heat gun to even get into the damn thing.
>>
>>52394128
>>52394146
woops, sent before my post was done

You can take it to pretty much any local repair shop and they can replace the battery for you, but its a good amount of work so it won't come cheap.
>>
>>52394112

>Pirate windows are never safe
>implying

you can get an original ISO pretty easily
>>
>>52389504
im thinking sbout upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10. but ive heard things like pirated programs dont work well on it or some bs. i have photoshop and z brush pirated on my pc. will those programs work like normal?
other than that, will there be any big difference besides aesthetic? i pretty much only use my pc to play games and 3d model.
>>
>>52394112
>Install Windows 7 with ISO off net
>Dazloader
>Upgrade to Windows 10
>Reset PC through Windows utility(Don't keep personal files)
>Profit???
>>
>>52394038
You should also try using integrated graphics rather than your GPU when you boot, just to see if you accidentally killed it or bumped it or something
>>
>>52394140
I have that plugged in as well. Everything that I have connected are as follows:

1. 4 pin CPU connector
2. 24 pin connector
3. one ram stick 4GB
4. the one 2 pin connector that goes into the F-panel that lets my pc know i'm hitting the power button
5. one system fan

that's all that I have plugged in. I don't have any usb or sata cables pluged in
>>
>>52394223
read the second sentence of his post
>>
>>52394223
it is currently connected through my integrated graphics. I don't have a card plugged in
>>
Does anyone know a good laptop? I am on the road constantly and am kind of a gamer. I work for like 1 hour a day and chill for the next 10 hours so it needs to be able to play games to some extend.

Not a proffesional gaming laptop. but would be nice if i could at least play the games on high settings (forget about ultra high and whatever).

I know it's super stupid but i was thinking of buying a macbook pro simply because i know it can run decent games and it's kind of lightweight.

budget is about $1000
>>
>>52393627
Why XP? Windows 7 is super easy to pirate if you want something that works better
>>
>>52392167
Nope. These are SoC devices. Meant to be integrated with minimal chips and support hardware, so nothing is exposed if it doesnt need to be (save costs). Aside from user ports like Ethernet, USB and video, the only things they expose SATA. If your lucky.

You can't even use external memory on most common hobbiest microcontrollers anymore (arduino, I'm looking at you )
>>
>>52393740
I tried reseating the cpu, same problem. Would bad ram cause this issue? Because when I take out the ram the system seems to run with beeps, but when I put in the ram and start it up it turns itself off after 3 seconds. The ram I'm using is from my old pc where I shorted something, that might have screwed up the ram, unfortunately I don't have any other ram sticks to test it with
>>
>>52394301
Darn. Well, if I can play RCT on it I'll consider it a win. If not I'll just play Minecraft on it or something, and browse 4chan on it. From what I read you can't use more than 3 gigs of ram anyways.
>TFW you learn that x86 files aren't supported by it
>>
how do I earn money from being a NEET?
>>
>>52394275
It runs faster on lesser machines and is compatible with the software request my friend has given me to set up for an upcoming project of ours.

It chugged with 7, but has no hickups with xp. Theres really nothing wrong with it.
Never install firefox on a netbook though, lest you want something that shits itself after 4 tabs opened
>>
I own a thinkpad x201t. I like it but it's showing its age. For reasons I can't possibly comprehend stylus technology has gotten worse, not better, since this laptop was manufactured 6~ years ago. Instead of wasting money on a new laptop that I'm ultimately not going to be happy with, my question /g/entooman, is would it be possible to replace the processor (i5) in my x201t with a more modern processor? Preferably an i7 skylake. I don't know this for a fact but I'm assuming the processor is soldered to the MOBO. I have options for BGA rework so I'd like to address compatibility only. Trying to use Google to find my answer has only led me down a rabbit hole of things I don't understand.
>>
>>52394411
Camwhoring, find a weird fetish and serve the demand
>>
>>52394411
Fellate men you meet on Craigslist.
>>
>>52394411
sell your body
>>
>>52394485
>>52394501
whats the going rate??
>>
What happened to Dwight
>>
Blackplayer
1. Why the hell is it not using the file titled cover.jpg that I have in every album folder?
2. How do I change the album view to have 3 columns of album covers?
>>
How do I downgrade from Windows 10 Pro to Win10 Home? I have a product key for Home, but I can't use it in Pro. I've tried using the Win10 single language installer and tinkering with my registry so far
>>
>>52394521
not much unless you're a fit twink, if you're ripped or ottermode easily a couple hundred a day
>>
>>52394702
Save your data, and reinstall Windows completely
>>
I'm a first year comp sci student and I saw a thread on /v/ where people were debating what the best language and IDE is for making games
I may start working on a game next year as a project is there any experience with this?
anybody have any suggestions
I know c++ but my grasp is limited first time on /g/ aswell
>>
>>52394718
Any way I can reinstall Windows with my data intact? My internet is pretty slow and takes upwards of 7 hours to download a 30GB file
>>
>>52394112
windows defender is bloaty as fuck.
Malwarebytes and common sense will always be the best reccomendations.
With a touch of adwcleaner and alternative tinywall.

You can safely pirate windows.

Download a windows 7 iso with the correct SHA-256 and dazloader from mydigitallife and thats it.
>>
>>52394789
It's definitely possible to work around it being on the same volume, but considering the magnitude of the task I'd just put it all on an external hard drive just to be safe anyway
>>
Will a steel enforced pcie help with gpu sag? I havent found anything that galax hof doesnt sag on
>>
>>52394818
Fair enough. That'll have to do, then. Thanks anon
>>
>>52394763
there's no best language or IDE

if you don't want to reinvent the wheel start playing around with unity or UE4
>>
File: packet loss.png (6 KB, 330x109) Image search: [Google]
packet loss.png
6 KB, 330x109
>>52389504
So my internet has been really slow this week. Pages take long to load, streams and videos will buffer often if not fail to load frequently, and high packet loss during video games. I can't even browse 4chan with auto-refresh because it regularly loses connection causing me to have to refresh the tab.

I've tried resetting my router several times, I contacted my ISP to ask if there is anything wrong and they said it should be fine. They even sent a technician saying everything is fine and even gave me a new ethernet cable for free (I highly doubted this was the issue but hey free cables) but says my router might be old and suggest I buy a new one.

It's possible, my router is decently old but is there anything else I can try before actually buying a new router? If I do buy a router anything you recommend or I should steer clear of?
>>
File: adwcleaner.jpg (39 KB, 1047x147) Image search: [Google]
adwcleaner.jpg
39 KB, 1047x147
Adwcleaner is identifying this shit as adware. I'm fairly certain this is user set in options -> security -> disable block reported attack sites and block reported web forgeries. I did this a while back, but it hasn't recognized these settings as adware before today.

Is this a false positive, or something I should be concerned about? It's fairly strange. I scanned using Malwarebytes and nod32, but neither of them found anything. Using the latest version of Adwcleaner (5.029) and Firefox 42.0.
>>
>>52394914
Hi jack.

For starters malwarebytes and nod32 don't detect adware, only malware and shady adware but not real adware.

Just delete them, you can never be paranoid enough.
>>
>>52394966
You're sure it's a hijack? I don't think I've downloaded anything lately besides a few episodes of anime from XDCC. I guess that was the culprit?
>>
>>52395013
Its indeed a false positive, but if deleting it makes you feel safe why not?
>>
>>52395021
Will it screw with my Firefox settings if it is indeed a false positive?
>>
This is an honest question:
How fucked would I be if I cleaned my mechanical keyboard switches that were sticky from soda with wd40
>>
>>52395027
It wont.

I get false positives (and real infections) for browsing shady porn websites every time and my settings are still the same.
>>
>>52394763
1) Don't make games, it's literally 100 times as much work as you think it will be, and it's not fun.
2) Whichever language you're most comfortable in.
>>
File: 1445523890550.jpg (50 KB, 400x452) Image search: [Google]
1445523890550.jpg
50 KB, 400x452
>>52395028
I did this about a week ago because i didn't have any silicone oil and its seemed to work fine.
>>
Wrist rest for keyboard recommendations? Anybody have any experience with specific brands?
>>
>>52394186
Haven't you asked this before? What about Windows 10 is so attractive to you?
>>
>>52395121
>>52395028
I've used distilled water in the past
>>
>>52389504
Will downloading ram increase my ram?
>>
Are there any lightweight browsers (i.e. not Chrome or Firefox) that have the ability to selectively disable Javascript? I'm hoping for a NoScript-style feature, where all javascript can be disabled by default, and enabled by the user.

I don't really care for any other features like adblocking (I don't mind using the hosts file) or extinsibility through add-ons (I don't use shit besides ublock origin anyway), although it would be nice to have vim-like keybindings
>>
How long was it before you felt "competent" while programming. And by competent, I mean where you can actually think of an idea in your head and start programming it without having to search on stackoverflow for why you're fucking up?
>>
>>52395337
Protip: nobody ever progresses beyond the stackoverflow stage
>>
>>52389665
For laptop, Lenovo Y series are usually good

But for that budget, PC + Laptop is a great combo, $1000 for PC and $400 for laptop. Depends on the game you want to play on the laptop

>is Windows 10 not worth updating?
Not really. It's no Windows 7, I'm sure
>>
>>52395337
Ask yourself this when you're on school: When will I make new formulas and theories instead learning other people's formulas and theories?
>>
File: 1439008282631.jpg (46 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
1439008282631.jpg
46 KB, 400x500
I've never did disk defragmentation in my life.
Is it safe, will it delete my files?
Why do I need it anyway?
>>
>>52395617
Disk Defrag basically takes fragments that happen from transfering,deleting and creating content then cleans them up. It lets your HDD run faster because it doens't have to sort through all that garbage.

It's perfectly safe but can take quite awhile depending on your HDD speed and size .

DO NOT DEFRAG AN SSD
>>
>>52395633
thank you
>>
Is there a good website that tests speeds of routers? Specifically wireless tests? My friend is getting Internet Service soon, and I suggested either

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Certified-Comcast-XFINITY-CM500-100NAS/dp/B00R92CEVU/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1452670192&sr=1-4&keywords=wireless+modem+router&refinements=p_n_feature_six_browse-bin%3A6812730011

Or

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1750-DOCSIS-Router-C6300/dp/B00J65WQHU/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1452670192&sr=1-5&keywords=wireless+modem+router&refinements=p_n_feature_six_browse-bin%3A6812730011

But I can't find any place where it compares the two wifi's of each one.
>>
>>52395673
Oops, meant this one for the cheap one: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-DOCSIS-Router-C3000/dp/B00IF0JAIU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1452670765&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+modem+router
>>
File: confused.png (213 KB, 635x542) Image search: [Google]
confused.png
213 KB, 635x542
What is Garbage Collection? Is it something every programmer should know how to implement?
>>
>>52395617
Just reorganizes your files so they are next each other to make disk reading faster and more easy.

Not harmful for HHDs, its actually good.
Harmful for SSDs because they automatically do this and it just wastes the limited writes it haves.
>>
PC not booting when using dual channel RAM. Mobo LED sometimes stays on DRAM LED, sometimes CPU LED. Not getting a beep, not getting a video signal, not getting into UEFI. The DIMMs work fine on their own, but not together. Anyone had something like this before?
Mobo is a asus z170 pro gaming, cpu is an i5 6600k, rams are 2 8gb sticks ddr4 by Kingston. No overclocking.
>>
>>52395838
No POST? well thats weird.

What are you saying is that when only using slot 1 in your motherboard alone it works, but when you use 1 and 2 to have dual channel working it wont?
>>
Any good VPN for android?
>>
File: 1401810771609.png (312 KB, 506x662) Image search: [Google]
1401810771609.png
312 KB, 506x662
Is Art cow still the go-to place for custom mousepads or is there a better alternative these days?
>>
File: Network Topology.png (13 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Network Topology.png
13 KB, 500x500
I'm planning on getting a gigabit switch for my home network, I send large files a lot across it, my question is this.

If I connect two computers to the gigabit switch but the network DHCP is not a gigabit device will I still have gigabit speeds between the computers? Or does all traffic have to pass through the DHCP first therefore bottle necking it?

Pic related, the proposed network setup.
Will the PC's have gigabit speeds between them if I were to send a file from one to the other?
>>
>>52395776
Instead of manually managing memory (think C++ new and delete, or malloc), the garbage collector automatically handles this. It is not as performant, as it requires your application to pause for a moment as the GC scans memory and decides what to delete. Unless you are writing something like the JVM, you probably don't need to know how to implement it, and modern GC's can be very smart and advanced in terms of the hueristics they use.

Also, all this information could have been found by going to the wikipedia page m8.
>>
File: mic vac and line in.png (60 KB, 1660x604) Image search: [Google]
mic vac and line in.png
60 KB, 1660x604
Why can't VAC pic up my mic?

When I do, i can hear myself. it's a second delay, the kind that throws you off and you can't make a coherent sentence.

how do I fix this?
>>
File: Capture.png (220 KB, 1860x517) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
220 KB, 1860x517
Firefox just started doing this. What the fuck is happening and how do I fix it?
>>
File: _jho8lpLiWM.jpg (97 KB, 454x807) Image search: [Google]
_jho8lpLiWM.jpg
97 KB, 454x807
Anyone has the latest Windows 10 install pastebin?
>>
File: 130279180259.jpg (75 KB, 800x592) Image search: [Google]
130279180259.jpg
75 KB, 800x592
can /g/ recommend me a cheap prebuilt or build guide? I plan on running linux and don't care about gaming or heavy graphical editing.

I just want a general purpose desktop with a good price/performance ratio. logicalincrements.com is pretty much exclusively gaymen-focused.

oh yeah and by "cheap", I mean I don't want to spend more than 500 on the system unit.
>>
>>52396108
just get a thinkpad with a dock
>>
>>52396139
I want a big display and a mechanical keyboard though
>>
>>52396108
What do you want to do with your rig? And if you don't care about it why not just follow logicalinrements, but spend the money on a beastly CPU instead of a GPU and a CPU?
>>
>>52396167
literally, go buy a mech keyboard and a get a mouse and get a think pad and get a USB multi port. done. if you aint gone do anything fancy then you don't need an amazing rig. at max something like 8 gigs of ram
>>
will MSI H81-P33 be enough to drive xeon e3 1220v3?
>>
Do stripe raid arrays make read/writes generally faster because of each hard drive being given a portion of the read/write tasks or do I have completely the wrong idea
>>
logically
if i used:
skype | Discord | facebook | google talk |

all at once and then each friend were only on it with me, my mic is set to line in VAC and all programs are in line in VAC, then their output source is to line in VAC back to me; Logically, they should hear each other right?
>>
>>52395885
unless the switch is complete shit the connection between pc's will be gig.
the switch will work on level 2 (mac addresses) dhcp should only be for ip routing level 3 etc.
>>
>>52396108
Define general purpose?

G3220+B85 motherboard.
Not enough power? get a I3-4160.
1TB WD HDD or a 120GB Ulta ll if you dont need space.
430W PSU and a cheap case, probably a HAF912.
>>
>>52389665
Do not get a 1100 dollar laptop
Buy a 100-200 dollar core2 ex lease laptop and an audio interface with decent inputs as those do all the audio recording and monitoring workload, and either buy a console or build the basics of a mid range gaming rig with the last 500
Trust me anon im in exactly the same consumer position as you are
Dont go high end laptop or you're wasting ypur money.
Go craptop
Trust
>>
File: chillery.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
chillery.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
my model M broke like 20 min. ago and i need to find a replacement so I can stop using the membrane that came with my case, what is the best cherry switch to use to get kind of the same experience as my old IBM?
(pic related bc I don't belong on /g/)
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.