[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ELI5 -p V -q is a true statement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: TF.png (2 KB, 113x81) Image search: [Google]
TF.png
2 KB, 113x81
ELI5

-p V -q is a true statement
>>
isn't this one of de morgan's laws?

(~p) or (~q) == ~ (p and q)
>>
A truth cannot insinuate a false, but a false can insinuate a true.
>>
Fucking most retarded math I've ever had the misfortune of taking. Did good in the end but this shit is useless despite being easy.
>>
>>52385144
symbol logic is the root of programming and computation
>>
>>52385144
Dude, to work for the government here in my country, you gotta pass a test (basic and specific knowledge).

Basic knowledge normally includes first year college mathematics and logic.

To get a stable income of 10 to 30k a month, it seems pretty useful to me hehehe.

People usually memorize the entire Truth Table for the tests (they're really competitive though).
>>
>>52385251
What country?

>>52385184
I understood that, it helped with programming, but I felt it was useless outside of programming.
>>
>>52384671
>-p V -q is a true statement

That's not what the picture says though.
>>
>>52385292
yeah, the picture is the superset operator.
>>
>>52384671
>-p V -q is a true statement
Not if both p and q are true.
>>
>>52384671
Is a contradiction. A variable cannot be true and false a the same time. OP is a faggot.
>>
Do your own discrete math work
>>
>>52385462
Why are you such an asshole? Could have at least told him about the board for homeworks...
>>
>>52384671
ahh, implication. left side implies right side - basically "if left side, then right side".
T->T = T, because if the premise is true and the effect is true, then the implication is okay.
T->F = F, because quite simply, it means that left side does not imply right side (right side is true even though the left is false), so the implication is wrong, hence false.
F->T = T and F->F = T, because if the premise is false, then we can't say if the implication is false.

For example: "if there are clouds, it's raining". Keep in mind that this does not mean "it rains if AND ONLY IF there are clouds", but rather "if there are clouds, I'm 100% certain it's raining. no clouds, I don't know shit".
clouds->rain = true; crystal clear, our reasoning is okay
clouds->norain = false; even though we have clouds, there's no rain, so our assumption that clouds imply rain was wrong
noclouds->rain = true; noclouds->norain = true; basically because we can't prove that the reasoning is wrong.
>>
>>52385447
Open your eyes retard
>>
>>52385626
i like to think of it using set theory's superset operator better.

p is a superset of q. So, if it is false in q, then there's absolutely no logical way it can be true in p.

But if it is true in q, then p can logically 'turn it off' or 'not use' it.
>>
>>52384671
>ELI5
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>52385679
another way to think of it is using object-oriented programming and inheritance.

if q is some base class and p inherits q, then it must exist (be truthful) in q for p to use it. p cannot built upon what isn't there.
>>
>>52385679
what a retarded way to think about implication.
>>
>>52385462
It's not even homework, today was the first day of class and I wanted a simpler explanation.
>>
this desu
>>
>>52386009
It's not retarded, it's actually the most intuitively clear way to understand it.
>>
>>52385270
What did you expect, bitch? That discrete math was going to help you learn to talk to girls?
>>
>>52386009
>what are Venn diagrams and why do they represent logical operators so well
>>
>>52386335
y-yes
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.