[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm making an RPG, /g/ What's the best engine for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 246245645.jpg (363 KB, 960x678) Image search: [Google]
246245645.jpg
363 KB, 960x678
I'm making an RPG, /g/

What's the best engine for it? I don't wanna necessarily build an engine from scratch, but I'm not too retarded to do it.

I want it to have support for image loading and animations, and the basic RPG grid if possible.
Currently I'm looking at XNA and Monogame, but if there's something easier I'd gladly look into it.

Also fuck pic related and all of its versions, it's the worst shit ever
>>
>>52383569
what do you want to play it on? if it's an mmorpg use phaser.io

eg: beetrootgames.tumblr.com
>>
>>52383591
bland old 2D RPG,
only thing I'll have is depth layers for cutscene animations and stuff, so Z-space 3D

It's gonna be PC exclusive

Think of Xenoblade Chronicles pixelated and 2D
>>
>>52383664
Rpgmaker?
>>
File: 1423023060423.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1423023060423.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
>>52383901
Check >>52383569
>Also fuck pic related and all of its versions it's the worst shit ever
>Pic related is rpgmaker
>>
>>52383932
What's shit about it though? It let's you do everything you want and is even open for scripting.
>>
>>52383932
what's wrong with RPGMaker?
>>
>>52383974
>>52383980
The engine puts you in shackles
They might be fuzzy, but they're still shackles

It has the same old battle system and same old world design concepts

I just want something which will handle the onscreen part without having to implement whole existing systems creating an inefficient mess
>>
>>52384276
How retarded are you? Rpgmaker let's you do quite literally anything. Want an action rpg? You can do that. Turn based? No problem! Ring menu? Easy as piss.
You sound like some kind of douchebag that thinks making a game is nothing more than using some Fucking gui to choose pre-made Bullshit from. And even then you should be satisfied with what Rpgmaker has to offer.

OP confirmed for never having used Rpgmaker for more than 2 Minutes.
>>
>>52383569
>>>/vg/agdg
>>
Seriously OP. If you're not dumb enough to make your own engine just go pick up SFML and make your own engine on top of that.

Every one of these engines I've tried have been a massive hassle. You just can't write your stuff in an organized efficient way in these tools. They just force a bunch of stuff on you. Probably useful for the kind of person who does some very basic game mechanics and then decides to design levels for a year but not for me.
>>
>>52384495
Probably what I'll go with
Thanks!
>>
>>52384367
it really is dependant on what version of rpg maker you are using.

MV is pretty hot with its API
>>
>>52383569
Make your game in assebly
>>
If you're doing it by yourself, check out Construct 2 or GameMaker Studio. Not worth the effort getting burnt out over writing the engine, then doing the graphics and etc etc all by yourself.

If you must code the game, check out SFML as someone else mentioned, maybe monogame if you write in .NET, or the countless 2D game libraries that exist for Java.
>>
>>52383591
Fuck, I remember that logo from that site that gave out free stuff or something like that.
Those were fun times.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.