[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Open source office alternatives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: office-2016.jpg (64 KB, 1268x664) Image search: [Google]
office-2016.jpg
64 KB, 1268x664
why doesn't any open source office replacement software suite have an easy to use UI like M$ office? (the ribbons are pretty easy to use and powerful, unlike menu > menu > menu > menu > popup > menu > action)

also why is the macro support on libre/openoffice calc so shit compared to microsoft office excel?

also, are there any open source alternatives (preferably ones where you can host your own servers) to OneNote?

I want to switch away from M$ products towards the open source alternatives but some applications keep me tied to a platform I don't want to use
>>
> not using latex
retard
>>
File: 4676.jpg (26 KB, 390x344) Image search: [Google]
4676.jpg
26 KB, 390x344
>i hate micro$haft sooo much but i cant leave because they make stuff too good
>>
>preferably ones where you can host your own servers
Collaborative document editing has been part of OwnCloud since at least version 7 https://doc.owncloud.org/server/7.0/user_manual/documents.html
>>
>>52380039
sadly yes, I dont like windows and where it's going, but some applications like office force me to stay.

>>52380064
hm, looks interesting, is it easy to use on mobile to take notes to cloud

or does it allow drawing?

I will install this on my hypervisor today to check it out
>>
>>52380095
>but some applications like office force me to stay.
Free as in Freedom software is about making compromises. Just use LibreOffice and suck it up.
>>
>>52380108
>just suck it up
and not use the macros that make my job 20x faster? and not use the type of interface that I am used to, that is faster and that is a lot more simple.

but why doesn't the open source office alternatives have these features?
>>
>>52380011
>the ribbons are pretty easy to use
The Ribbon is a clogged artery and is inconsistent with other windows UI.
>>
File: _20160112_123632.jpg (127 KB, 1080x1280) Image search: [Google]
_20160112_123632.jpg
127 KB, 1080x1280
>>52380095
>hm, looks interesting, is it easy to use on mobile to take notes to cloud
MyOwnNotes is in the F-Droid store.
>or does it allow drawing?
Don't know, I'm not much of a doodler.
>>
>>52380117
>and not use the macros that make my job 20x faster?
Yes, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOjCJXHJhPg
It's just part and parcel of software freedom.

>but why doesn't the open source office alternatives have these features?
People like to complain and use something else rather than learn the skills to improve the software, it's open source after all.
>>
>>52380117
>e type of interface that I am used to, that is faster and that is a lot more simple.
I'm use to the interface before the Ribbon as it is more simple.
>>
>>52380034
Latex have a little learning curve. I am currently writing my master thesis with it, it saves me so much time!
>>
File: dindustani.jpg (139 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
dindustani.jpg
139 KB, 500x375
>>52380117
Does Microsoft keep making you use the same talking points over and over?
>>
>>52380128
explorer has a ribbon UI and I dont need it on the other applications at all

>>52380137
:/ *sad violin*

>>52380153
I just want to use something else than macroshafter software, but some features are just unavailable on the other options, and I am wondering why

>>52380134
thanks, I will look into this
>>
>>52380144
This. Can confirm as a fellow master student. Good luck with your thesis.
>>
>>52380172
Right back at you bro, dazzle those professors with your mind
>>
>>52380039
That's why a lot of people stay.

I personally stay because I'm just used to everything and changing isn't worth my time.
>>
>>52380011
Use google office
>>
>>52380117
If you use macros to speed up your work your problem lies deeper than finding an excel alternative.
>>
File: schlemsidehead.jpg (110 KB, 871x1111) Image search: [Google]
schlemsidehead.jpg
110 KB, 871x1111
Never had ploblems with ribbon.
Altough fuzzy autocomplete quicklaunch commands would be the master race
>>
>>52380011
Excellent work, Pajeet. 7 rupees have been added to your account.
>>
File: ayy.png (116 KB, 500x272) Image search: [Google]
ayy.png
116 KB, 500x272
>>52380350
nice fucking meme man, original and funny
>>
Ribbons are retarded, in OO you can just dock anything you want to use in the toolbar OR use the menu. No need to click through multiple tabs to get to what you want.

Microsoft UIs are typically overengineered crap that make things more complicated than they need to be with stupid decisions everywhere.
>>
>>52380444
I like the ribbon system, its fast and simple and organized.
>>
>>52380469
You have earned a bonus of 3 rupees.
>>
>>52380144
Wait how does it save time?

Curious the advantages other than being open source.
>>
ms paint
>>
>>52381911
If you have any equations or chemical figures or more than 10 references it is infinitely easier and faster than Word
>>
>>52381953
Ahh I getcha. Yeah word always has shit reference importing and equation use. I remember it has a mode that made equations easier but still less than ideal.
>>
>>52380011
Open office, latex, kingsoft office (chinese botnet), libre office.
>>
>>52382024
>kingsoft
Sounds like something a chinese would name a botnet.

Like Microtosh or Macknsoft or something.
>>
>>52382039
Agree with you on the name, but it gets shit done for me
>>
File: 1.png (142 KB, 819x507) Image search: [Google]
1.png
142 KB, 819x507
>tfw libreoffice hasn't finished compiling since 5 hours ago
>>
>>52382424
>mfw it looks way better than any western open source project

FUcking faggots get you shit together
>>
>>52382424
it it available for wangblows?
is it better than libreoffice?
>>
>>52380034
I'm allergic
>>
>>52382455
well, you've got some free time in your hand anyways!

why would you be using a time sink distro otherwise
>>
>>52382455
Please tell me why you feel the need to compile software that already has been compiled by others. It's not like you make any changes in the code anyhow
>>
>>52383113
nevermind, I found out it's no free even for personal use, apparently it's just 30 day trail and watermarks after that
>>
>>52383147
Optimizations
>>
>>52380011
I'm a Linux faggot, but I have to say, the open source office alternatives to Microsoft Office are all horseshit-tier.

I rather use Google Docs & Spreadsheets than the LibreOffice/OpenOffice shit.

Also LaTeX masterrace.
>>
>>52383147
>gentoo
>>
It sounds like you want to switch to Linux. There's a program called wine that you can use to make office programs compatible. Here's a link https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/833811-how-to-install-and-use-wine-to-run-windows-applications-on-linux.
>>
>>52383152
try the community version for linux

it's freer than the windows one
:^)

http://wps-community.org/downloads
>>
>>52380011
Unless you know a good open source alternative that is MS Visio Professional... I am not interested
>>
>>52382455
fuck fuck fuck
It fucked up because I ran out of space when It was copying compiled binaries to /usr/bin
fuck, it has to start over.
fuck fuck It took 9 hours to compile it the first time.
Downloading and installing ubuntu is faster
>>
>>52384029
why do you go trough all that trouble man?
>>
I've used libreoffice for some time and biggest problem I have with is that it runs only on one core. If it could use more cores opening microsoft excel's xls files would probably be a lot faster. It takes minutes to open some files.

>>52384029
Why am I laughing.

Reminds me when I used freebsd for few years on desktop over ten years ago. It was preddy gud.

Nowadays I'm running *bsd only on firewalls and nas boxes, though. Linux everywhere else.
>>
https://github.com/ONLYOFFICE/DocumentServer
>>
>>52383263
linux nerds using wine is the same as lesbians using plastic dildos.

if you dont like it, why are you using a crappy simulator?
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.